Shadows in the Mist

saithor

"I ain't even said what they were," The captain mutters as he watches Caith walk below decks. "When you go after your friend, better tell him it's Nightrats. Thing are invisible and intangible when there's light around, so I'm shutting the door as soon as you lot get in. They're running amok on the Steerage Deck."

spacer.pngEllania Luthirian - Scinari Lorekeeper [Body: 3 | Mind 3 | Soul 2]

Melee [5] | Accuracy [3] | Defense [4] | Armour [2] | Toughness [8/8] | Init [8] | Wounds [4/4] | Awareness [2] | Mettle [1]

Channeling [5d6 +2] | Weapon [5d6 +1] | Reflexes [4d6] | Awareness [4d6] | Eclipsian Staff, Loreseeker Blade | Spells

Spellcasting | Unbind | Unbreakable Spells | Scinari Balance | Scinari Contemplation

"Problems you can't solve yourself..? Well.. i suppose we could...."

Maeleris smiles at the mention of some extermination duty. "I was starting to get a bit restless, so this sounds like a great deal to me. Never heard of a Nightrat, but that just makes the fight more fun!"

The Captain herds you all into the ship before shutting the door behind you, and like that you are in the hull of the ship, no light at all to provide any guidance. Inside you can hear chittering and the sounds of paws on wood, just before snarls erupt from across the deck all around in the dark/

OOC

Looking through everyone's initiative, @Mythical @Inquisitor D @Ironblaze @Neopopulas @violentprincess and @PureChance can all take their actions now, while Rhallan unfortunately has to wait till after the rats.

• 2 weeks later...

As soon as the door shuts, Maeleris draws her sword and dives at the nearest sound of the growling!

Actions

Making a Melee Attack against the nearest audible Nightrat with a Good quality Melee and Accuracy using a Sword (Damage 1+S). I do have Focus +1 to Weapon Skill, add as needed to adjust Successes against Nightrat's Defense.

Edited by Ironblaze (see edit history)
Name
Swinging The Sword
2d6 1,5

Caith Mor'Phann - Isharran Soulscryer [Body: 1 | Mind 3 | Soul 3]

Melee [1] | Accuracy [3] | Defense [1] | Armour [1] | Toughness [8/8] | Init [3] | Wounds [4/4] | Awareness [2] | Mettle [0/2]

Devotion [5d6 +1] | Determination [4d6] | Intimidation [3d6 +1] | Intuition [5d6 +1] | Survival [4d6] | Theology [4d6 +1] | Finger Claws, Dowerchime Staff, Ethersea Cloak | Miracles

Disquieting Presence | Blessed (The Ethersea)

As the rest of the soulbond joins him and the door shuts behind, they are plunged into a darkness not even Faith's vision can penetrate. It feels oddly familiar - the sound of water and the lack of light - but lacks the bone chilling cold and constant soul crushing pressure of home. His kin darts forward into the dark, and Caith raises his arms, dowerchimes jingling in unseen currents. With whispered words, he calls upon the horrors of the deep - the kind of beasts that dwell so far below the surface only the Idoneth have ever glimpsed them, and summons writhing tentacles amidst icy black currents in the depths of the hull. These nightrats will either be driven forward to face his allies blades or suffer the savagery of the ocean.

OOC

Action: Abyssal Nightmare Miracle (2 Mettle cost) cast towards rear of cabin - You call forth a grotesque nightmare from the depths of the abyss, filling your enemies with terror as they are lashed by whipping tentacles. Choose a Zone within Medium Range. This Zone immediately becomes a Major HazardA Major Hazard causes serious injury ... When a creature enters the Hazard for the first time or starts its turn there, it takes 3 Damage as it fills with twisting alien tentacles. A creature that enters the Zone or starts its turn there gets a terrifying insight into the nightmares that lurk in the deep and is FrightenedWhilst the source of a Frightened creature's fear is in line of sight, they roll one less die for all Tests. The character cannot willingly move closer to the source of its fear. until the end of their next turn.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Melee [5] | Accuracy [3] | Defense [4] | Armour [2] | Toughness [8/8] | Init [8] | Wounds [4/4] | Awareness [2] | Mettle [1]

Channeling [5d6 +2] | Weapon [5d6 +1] | Reflexes [4d6] | Awareness [4d6] | Eclipsian Staff, Loreseeker Blade | Spells

Spellcasting | Unbind | Unbreakable Spells | Scinari Balance | Scinari Contemplation

In the dark, Ellania's ears were working overtime, she felt no fear, not even a great deal of concern. She drew forth the Loreseeker blade from her back, and in the same motion she brought the winds under control to shroud herself in protective force.

Mechanics

Lets give this a try. So i think to cast this spell i need to roll channeling

Mystic Shield is a requirement of 5:1 which i believe means i need at least 1 roll of 5.

Wow, pretty.. not great, but i got +2 to add to any wrong from the focus, but I can DOUBLE my focus if i haven't cast a spell yeah so i get +4

So i can add a +2 to two of the 3's and get two 5s. That means that I get a one step increase to my defense for 2 rounds

I'm also pretty sure you only get one action this round so no attacking

Edit:
Spending Mettle: Double Focus (2 to 4). This should mean that i can get 3 DoS and thus 3 rounds of increased defense.

Name
Channeling
5d6 3,3,4,2,3

Avatar.png.5cc1192671769b800b7b6473cc225ac4.png"Well. Let's see this done"

Anikah seems sombre as the fight begins, bowing her head for a moment of quiet contemplation. But it's just a moment. Once the door slams shut, the Vampire is right at the front of the fight, sword raised high. There's bloody business to be done.

OOC

Anikah is a simple soul. Go in, stab stab stab. If one of the rats is alone, she'll prioritize them to activate Duellist - otherwise she'll just take whoever. I have two ranks of Focus in WS, and am using a Greatsword. Immense Strikes brings this damage up to 3 + successes. Melee is good - if she can isolate a rat for a 1 vs 1, that rises to Great

Name
Melee Attack
6d6 6,2,5,3,3,4

The rats squal and squeak as you strike among them. Maelris and Ellania can both feel their blades cutting through the rats, sending small furry bodies flying. Towards the back of the cabin, a new chorus of squeaks erupt as the Abyssal Nigthmare engulfs the cabin. Both Caith and Anika can feel rat claws lathing onto them, the rodents trying to bite either of them as they flee the conjured nightmares in the back.

OOC

Due to the Night-rats being invisible, they are only hit on 6, unless you have Witch Sight which only Mythical's character does. But resolving this in order
Maelris focus can get her a 6 on one dice, so one degree of success vs the Nightrat swarm. Nightrat Swarm 1 has 0 armor and 9 Toughness, so drops to 7 Toughness.

Caith's ability goes off, and Nightrat Swarm 2 starting it's turn there will take 3 damage and be Frightened, dropping to 6 Tougness

Ellania's Mystical Shield spell goes off.

Anikah hits with the greatsword, and can use her Focus to raise her number of successes to 2. This will deal 5 damage to Nightrat Swarm 1, dropping it to 2 Toughness.

Nightrat Swarm 1 will start it's turn and close in, attacking Anikah. It has a poor rating attack with 2d6 and +S damage. It is at 2 Toughness

Nightrat Swarm 2 will start it's turn frightened, rush forward, and attack Caith. It has a poor rating attack with 1d6 and +2 Damage. It is at 6 Toughness

Name
Nightrat attacking Anika
1; 2
1d6;1d6 [1]; [1,2]
Nighrat attacking Caith
1d6 6

Caith Mor'Phann - Isharran Soulscryer [Body: 1 | Mind 3 | Soul 3]

Melee [1] | Accuracy [3] | Defense [1] | Armour [1] | Toughness [7/8] | Init [3] | Wounds [4/4] | Awareness [2] | Mettle [0/2]

Devotion [5d6 +1] | Determination [4d6] | Intimidation [3d6 +1] | Intuition [5d6 +1] | Survival [4d6] | Theology [4d6 +1] | Finger Claws, Dowerchime Staff, Ethersea Cloak | Miracles

Disquieting Presence | Blessed (The Ethersea)

The swarm comes tumbling out of the zone of nightmare, barrelling straight for Caith. Taken by surprise at their ferocity he fails to ward them all off, catching a nasty bite in the process. He kicks the offending monster free and steps back behind his allies as he continues to channel the fury of the deep at the far end of the cabin. He then relies his staff with two hands, ready to head off any more vermin that seek him.

OOC

Regain 1 Mettle at start of turn

Sustain Abyssal Nightmare (1 Mettle cost)

Action: Dodge (raise Defense one step from Poor > Average)

Move: Not sure how many zones there are here, but he's just trying to move behind his allies so the (hopefully mindless) rats simply go for the closest enemy.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Maeleris continues swinging at the rats, hoping to keep them off her teammates and focused on her.

Actions

Making another Melee Attack against the nearest audible Nightrat with a Good quality Melee and Accuracy using a Sword (Damage 1+S). I do have Focus +1 to Weapon Skill, add as needed to adjust Successes against Nightrat's Defense.

Spending Mettle to swing again at the same swarm!

Edited by Ironblaze (see edit history)
Name
Swish Slash
2d6 2,3
Second Swing
2d6 1,6

Avatar.png.5cc1192671769b800b7b6473cc225ac4.pngAnikah doesn't utter a word as the rats close in. This isn't her first time fighting in the dark, and the rats aren't that quick - she steps from side to side, swinging her blade down around her in wide arcs.

This isn't the type of fight she likes. Brutal. Artless. But it's not a challenge.

OOC

Okay, Anikah's defence is Good, so that attack's going nowhere. Even if they do, she's got Armor 3. The invisibility is a problem but as things stand, landing a hit should be doable, and hitting should be enough. So she's going for Nightrat Swam 1 again, 3+S damage.

Yeah, Focus only gets me one success, so less damage. But still hits. Four damage to Swarm 1, punching through that 2 toughness

Edited by Inquisitor D (see edit history)
Name
Greatsword Attack
6d6 3,3,5,2,1,3

Melee [5] | Accuracy [3] | Defense [4+3] | Armour [2] | Toughness [8/8] | Init [8] | Wounds [4/4] | Awareness [2] | Mettle [1]

She feels more than anything, the way these little rat monsters slink around, she hears their attacks and their cries and lashes out, the greatsword swinging one-handed like it weighed nothing at all, whipping past her companions in the dark, close enough they can feel the air move.

Mechanics

We cast a spell last time so lets try some swording

Okay so i got 2, 3, 5, 6, 6

Scinari Contemplation says i can double my focus if i don't do the same attack twice. My focus for weapon skill is 1. So i get 2. Then i use mettle to double it again, which means i get.. 4? It looks so.

Which means i can take those 4 points and add 1 to the 5 and three to the 3 and get; 2, 6, 6, 6, 6. for four successes for 6 damage. (Greatsword being 2+successes)

Name
Weapon Skill
5d6 2,6,5,6,3

The squeaks of panicked rats die off as multiple sword blows rain down upon them, slicing the furry little rodents apart. Pretty soon none of you can hear either the sounds of paws on wood or their squeaks. It's a quick walk back to the hatch Theriel locked you in from. After a few minutes of pounding on it, it'll open to reveal the still-grinning captain.

"Sorry about that, had to deal with an issue with the masts. Our little rodent problem is taken care of then?"

Avatar.png.5cc1192671769b800b7b6473cc225ac4.pngAnikah nods to the aelf, her face uncharacteristically dour.

"I have to admit. I hoped for more. Dark One's Eyes, a little challenge would be nice. I didn't train for this kind of work."

The blade is supposed to be an answer to something greater, a truth of the soul. It's not to be drawn until needed, and to be wielded with intent. She'd dreamed of worthy duels against mighty warriors when the old man first put it into her hand. Using her sword for something as simple as killing rats is... not immoral, it breaks no code, but it rankles at Anikah's heart just the same. She can't help but feel unclean after that.

OOC

Does 'Win a challenging duel' work as Anikah's first Short Term Goal? Feels like it makes sense and something she could feasibly get.