Shadows in the Mist

saithor

Caith Mor'Phann - Isharran Soulscryer [Body: 1 | Mind 3 | Soul 3]

Melee [1] | Accuracy [3] | Defense [1] | Armour [1] | Toughness [08/8] | Init [3] | Wounds [04/4] | Awareness [2] | Mettle [02/2]

Devotion [5d6 +1] | Determination [4d6] | Intimidation [3d6 +1] | Intuition [5d6 +1] | Survival [4d6] | Theology [4d6 +1] | Finger Claws, Dowerchime Staff, Ethersea Cloak | Miracles

Disquieting Presence | Blessed (The Ethersea)

Between the knight and the aelf, the remainder of the rats are quickly dealt with in darkness, any retreat cut off. The aelf, he notes somewhat bitterly, is just as deadly as he would expect one of his cousins to be when gifted with Teclis' fickle blessings. Though perhaps that huge sword was just more suited to a larger opponent. He relaxes his grip on the tides, breathing heavily as the summoned abyss fades away into ethereal mists. When the Captain opens the door Caith offers him a scowl from beneath his bone white octopus mask - not believing the mans word for one minute. Whilst it would be laughable for such a thing to be considered an assassination attempt, the Captain clearly did not hold their health in high regard - Caith would be sure to extend him exactly the same courtesy. "Indeed, now that the first of your little pest problems is taken care of, perhaps we can more onto more fitting tasks."

OOC

We automatically get all our toughness back at the end of the fight right? So no need to case Healing Spirit? Otherwise I'll go for that miracle to regain Caith's toughness.

"Well, they are mostly pests," the captain says. "Still got a ways to sail before we reach where that wrecked ship might be. Settle in, and let's hope nothing else decides to interrupt our day on the sea."

Those words end up being eerily prophetic as afternoon comes, a mostly peaceful day about to be interrupted by something much worse than Nightrats. Kaltis is scanning the horizon with his spyglass when he calls out to you and then barks out a series of orders to the crew. The ship begins to turn, heading towards the direction that the Captain pointed. As you look out over the ocean, the scene begins to come into view: another giant mass of tentacles and flesh hanging onto driftwood while Plaguebearers swarm around it, carried by a crude set of rafts.

"They're trying to infest the beast with Nurgle's foul touch! We've got to stop it before they fully control that beast and it comes after us!"

Nearing the scene, you can see the discoloration of flesh and pus leaking from the diseased creature as Nurgle's Rot warps flesh and skin. The ship halts, the crew rushing to the cannons in an attempt to kill the creature before it becomes fully mutated.

OOC

Yes you will get your full toughness back and yes the short term goal suggestion of a worthy fight is a good one to aim for. For this scene, anyone with long range spells can attack the creature to help destroy it, or you can make a DN 5:2 Mind (Ballistic Skill) Test to aid the cannoneers.

spacer.pngEllania Luthirian - Scinari Lorekeeper [Body: 3 | Mind 3 | Soul 2]

Melee [5] | Accuracy [3] | Defense [4+3] | Armour [2] | Toughness [8/8] | Init [8] | Wounds [4/4] | Awareness [2] | Mettle [1]

Channeling [5d6 +2] | Weapon [5d6 +1] | Reflexes [4d6] | Awareness [4d6] | Eclipsian Staff, Loreseeker Blade | Spells

Spellcasting | Unbind | Unbreakable Spells | Scinari Balance | Scinari Contemplation

Ellania chooses to plan ahead. Standing on the deck she can spot the enemies creeping closer, the pestilence obvious even at a distance, to the point it makes her skin crawl.

She brings her staff to bear and as she lifts it the swirl of air around her first ignites into sparks, then flames that swirl to appear like wings that lift her front the deck in a burst of burning air.

Mechanics

Casting Flight.
DN: 4:1

I got a 4, a 4 and a 3(+1) so three success. So i get three minutes of flight out of this, nice.

Name
Channeling (for Flight)
5d6 1,3,1,4,4

Melee [1] | Accuracy [3] | Defense [1] | Armour [1] | Toughness [08/8] | Init [3] | Wounds [04/4] | Awareness [2] | Mettle [00/2]

Devotion [5d6 +1] | Determination [4d6] | Intimidation [3d6 +1] | Intuition [5d6 +1] | Survival [4d6] | Theology [4d6 +1] | Finger Claws, Dowerchime Staff, Ethersea Cloak | Miracles

Cath found a quiet part of the deck to loom as he watched the play of the soul-light around them, the ebb and flow of the crew. At least, until the captain's shout came. At the same time as the disgusting beast came into view, Caith was granted a vision of its twisted soul, a weak a fluttering thing twisting under the taint of chaos. Making sure to intone loudly this time, to remind the crew of what lurks beneath, he once again calls upon the ethersea to bring forth the horror of the abyss, and around the creature manifest great pale tentacles, filled with razor-sharp suckers that rip and tear at cultists and creature alike.

OOC

Action: Abyssal Nightmare Miracle (2 Mettle cost) cast over monster and rafts - You call forth a grotesque nightmare from the depths of the abyss, filling your enemies with terror as they are lashed by whipping tentacles. Choose a Zone within Medium Range. This Zone immediately becomes a Major Hazardas it fills with twisting alien tentacles. A creature that enters the Zone or starts its turn there gets a terrifying insight into the nightmares that lurk in the deep and is Frightened until the end of their next turn.

Can I also intimidate the crew as part of this, in order to fulfil my short term goal of "Remind a seafaring mortal why the deeps should be feared"

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Avatar.png.5cc1192671769b800b7b6473cc225ac4.pngAnikah bows her head at the sight of the squirming monster. This is a creature that truly would welcome Nagash's mercy. Slaying such a being is certianly not what she envisioned when she left Shyish, but this feels right. She looks to her side, whistling as Ellania calls up wings of light - ready to go and try to slay the beast before the infection spreads. Magic and bladecraft - a combination worthy of the Gravelords. Anikah shares a smile with her aelven fellow blade.

"Well then. Should we call this a race?"

With a wink, the Vampire vaults over the deck's railing. Before she touches the water, a gigantic bat-creture the size of a man flies up, screeching in glee as it starts to cut through the air, making for the beast on muscle-bound wings.

OOC

So Anikah just turned into a Fell Bat thanks to her Bestial Form talent. She's now using its stats until she turns back, including its Fly (Fast). Aiming to change back atop the beast and start stabbing it! I'm hoping the beast's big enough she can do this without entering the Abyssal Nightmare AoE, but if not... well, it'll probably take her a sec to get there - we'll cross that when we get to it. Plus, she's got some toughness and is immune to Frightened - she can fight in the hazard if she has to.

Maeleris pulls her bow and a handful of arrows. She nocks all of them at once, gives a wink to a confused looking human on the crew, aims for the sky, and fires the entire cluster at once. Muscle memory kicks in, and she quickly follows the first volley with a second.

Actions

Maeleris uses Hail of Doom with her Bow. This requires a 4:1 Body (Ballistics) Test for me, and every enemy in the target Zone (so the Plaguebearers and the tentacles if they are close enough together, however many I can tag at once) to make a 4:1 Body (Reflexes) Test. If they fail, they take Damage equal to the difference in successes. If they win this opposed test, they take no damage.

I will then use my Mettle to take an extra action, and do it again!

First Hail: Use my Focus on the 3 to make it a 4, so 3 Successes.

Second Hail: Again use the Focus on the 3 to make it a 4, so that's another 3 Successes.

Edited by Ironblaze (see edit history)
Name
Hail of DOOM
5d6 3,1,2,4,5
But What About Second Hail?
5d6 5,2,3,5,1

Hails of arrows, the abyssal terror summoned by Canith, and the continued cannon fire of the ship smashes into the rotting kraken. Chunks of it split off the main body, falling beneath the waves while on the platforms Plaguebearers get festooned with arrows. Several of them turn their attention towards the ship, pulling swords as Annikah and Ellania take flight. Several of them remain chanting, pustules of rot forming on the kraken's main body.

Avatar.png.5cc1192671769b800b7b6473cc225ac4.pngThe Fell Bat becomes a familiar figure in red armor as Anikah falls to the raft-decks, blade held high. For now, she ignores the plaguebearers, her focus still on the rotting leviathan. As the Kraken starts to fall apart, she's charging forward, carving deep into its falling flesh to find the monster's heart. A deathblow is needed, as soon as they can manage it.

"Fall!"

OOC

Just stabbin! I don't know if we're on combat time or not - if this is combat ish I'd spend Mettle to both double training and get an extra action to attack again. I'll roll those, but keep them separate - just playing it safe

Name
Basic Attack (Focus 2)
6d6 3,3,5,6,3,5
Extra Mettle dice
2d6 2,1
Extra Mettle Attack (Focus 2)
6d6 3,6,2,2,5,4

Melee [1] | Accuracy [3] | Defense [1] | Armour [1] | Toughness [08/8] | Init [3] | Wounds [04/4] | Awareness [2] | Mettle [00/2]

Caith continues to maintain the abyssal nightmare until it fully engulfs the diseased kraken and drags it down to the depths, spare tentacles lashing at surrounding plague priests as he does. Whilst channelling, he turns slowly to the watching sailors, and stares out from beneath his shell-white mask, slick with the disturbing oil-like iridescence, and whispers "That is a true monster of the deep, not these pale mirrors that skirt the surface. You would do well to remember."

OOC

Sustain: Abyssal Nightmare Miracle (1 Mettle cost) cast over monster and rafts - You call forth a grotesque nightmare from the depths of the abyss, filling your enemies with terror as they are lashed by whipping tentacles. Choose a Zone within Medium Range. This Zone immediately becomes a Major Hazardas it fills with twisting alien tentacles. A creature that enters the Zone or starts its turn there gets a terrifying insight into the nightmares that lurk in the deep and is Frightened until the end of their next turn.

Can I also intimidate the crew as part of this, in order to fulfil my short term goal of "Remind a seafaring mortal why the deeps should be feared"

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)