Session 9: Booty

GM Saint

orcpirate(2).jpg.12104ac02f934c721f72d91272b3fe2d.jpgName Barkvin | Class Cleric 6 | AC: 19 | HP: 57/57 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +3 / Dex +2 / Con +3 / Int +1 / Wis +8 / Cha +3 | Luck: (2/2) | Channel Divinity: (2/2)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life, Blessed Healer | 

Attacks: Mace | +5 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 | Hit Dice d8 (6/6) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame (2d8 radiant DEX save), Word of Radiance (2d6 radiant CON save)

Level 1 | (4/4) | Bless C (+d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+7 healing), Healing Word (1d4+7 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (3/3)  | Hold Person C (WIS), Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+4 force), Prayer of Healing (2d8+8 x6), Blindness Deafness (CON)

Level 3 | (3/3)  | Beacon of Hope C, Mass Healing Word (1d4+9 x6), Daylight, [Aura of Vitality C (2d6+5 for 1 minute)], Revivify, Spirit Guardians C (WIS 3d8 radiant), Remove Curse

The cleric chimes in. "Aye, you are right. Seems that killing is hard to avoid in our line of work. As much as I would like you to come, you can stay home if you don't want to kill. You aren't a doll. You need to choose for yourself. Some of these can be saved if we can remove this curse. Then they won't need to be killed. I'll try to work from the back with Hjal. I don't think that we need to wait. Niko moves quickly." He states.

Mechanics

MOVE: none

ACTION: none

BONUS ACTION: none

REACTION: none

CONCENTRATION: none

OOC: none

Free 1 level bump whenever plus benefits of a long rest. Need to add arm stats

As you trickle downstairs, you find the inn a lot quieter than last night. It seems the caravan master's plan to leave early and push for Empyrean's Rest was very real. By now, everyone has cleared out and you can barely see the wagons on the road. One less group of people in danger.

Bernie is actually sitting out in the common room at a table, having breakfast with a few if the serving girls. They seem to be getting along well. Even though he has a reputation for being harsh, he's not some tyrant who can't be talked to.

You hear them speculating about a ship heading this direction and wondering if they'll stop or not. There aren't ships in Port right now. Its actually a very small dock they have but there's enough traffic during the busier times of the year to offset these slower winter months.

"Aye! You lot! After you settle up with Tel, I bet you'd make a killing hunting dragons. Not many ships coming through in the cold months on account of them."

You've all heard that before. Ships don't sail the lake much during the coldest months. The island is said to be full of dragons or winged demons or giant bats, the stories differ but the unifying truth is whatever the winged things are, they hunt more on the Winter. What they actually are can be anything. Nobody has ever visited the island and returned and any ships actually attacked by the creatures are at the bottom of the lake.

Murdain ShattershieldMurdainWitcher5.png.6cd2afbc95fe290c39b8a905db668054.png

Class: Psion 6 | AC: 14 | HP: 60/60 | Prof: +3 | Init: +3 | PP: 16 | Speed: 30ft

Conditions |0/3 0/36/6d8 HD| image.png.a82f23fe2d47028594124051b651afdc.png 2/2 LR| image.png.708944f243459fdd52c280f6b499426c.png 4/4 SR|image.png.c62acd6d65df4d9d52e101b519ead606.png 1/1 LR| potion.png.8ceade609fcabc6cc6ab30895b9a0a52.png 10/10 |💼 Inventory

Murdain left the room in silence. He couldnt let her go off like that alone, but ditching the others also seemed like a bad plan. He needed at least one scroll from Malenko... But before that. "Only know 'f two." Murdain fell back into his accent, and put this information aside. The island's... inhabitant? Probably. This information meant there was already two or more BEFORE Griselda showed up. "Lissen, Bernie... Can I have a word aside fer a moment? 'S about Tel an' some other things you need 't hear." There was no reason to cause a panic before Bernie declared it.

When Bernie had gotten up and followed him a short distance away, the dwarf leaned against the column: "We found Tel. Few hours due west, tied to a pole... Middle of a bandit camp. Problem is... That lot's plannin' to raid Trader's Port at full moon. Three guesses why." He grimaced. "I aint no strategist, but I'd suggest you evacuate townsfolk just in case. Full moon hits, no matter how good yer guards are, ye aint dealin' with two dozen werewolves in a feedin' frenzy." He glanced to the window with a grim look. "...We got an' idea how t' deal with it. But you best be ready iffen that falls through." He turned his head towards the enthusiastic wizard. "...least the wizard's still here. Maybe I can buy some emergency scrolls or potions."

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action:
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: 

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)

Screenshot-20221031-063129.png.e20281c2da35b0e6c02db914a986139f.pngName: Kirit  |  Class: Fighter 6 

AC: 16+1HP: 72/72 | Hit dice: 3/4d10 

SR Abilities: SDice: 4/4d8  1/1d6 | Action surge 1/1 | 2nd Wind 1/1

LR Abilities: Luck 2/2 | Adamant 1/1  Attacks  | Saves  | Maneuvers

Kirit chips in too, coming back from purchasing two healing potions. "How do you pay for protection around here? We can talk about dragon fees another time, but you need extra guards until this threat has passed. We don't do backcountry doorman rates, it's mercenary day rates, and probably a bonus since the problem is so substantial."

orcpirate(2).jpg.12104ac02f934c721f72d91272b3fe2d.jpgName Barkvin | Class Cleric 6 | AC: 19 | HP: 57/57 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +3 / Dex +2 / Con +3 / Int +1 / Wis +8 / Cha +3 | Luck: (2/2) | Channel Divinity: (2/2)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life, Blessed Healer | 

Attacks: Mace | +5 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 | Hit Dice d8 (6/6) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame (2d8 radiant DEX save), Word of Radiance (2d6 radiant CON save)

Level 1 | (4/4) | Bless C (+d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+7 healing), Healing Word (1d4+7 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (3/3)  | Hold Person C (WIS), Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+4 force), Prayer of Healing (2d8+8 x6), Blindness Deafness (CON)

Level 3 | (3/3)  | Beacon of Hope C, Mass Healing Word (1d4+9 x6), Daylight, [Aura of Vitality C (2d6+5 for 1 minute)], Revivify, Spirit Guardians C (WIS 3d8 radiant), Remove Curse

Barkvin makes his way down with the crew. He greets Bernie and the serving girls. Gets himself a mug of ale and joins the group talking to Bernie.

Mechanics

ACTION: none

Bernie had lead you into a side room he used as an office. "Werewolves. Why is it always that story in the Vale? You know outside the Vale, they're so rare many people don't believe in them at all."

"We'll bunker down at night. I don't expect another caravan soon and if that ship stops, I'll advise them if the danger so they set sail and get some distance. This inn is quite bandit resistant. Wood is treated to make it harder to burn, stone supports, no thatching for the roof. Doors are sturdy. We'll shutter the windows and tuck our tails in case you fail.

"As for coin, well... you already agreed to help the cleric at the promise of that goliath's wealth. Dont try to upcharge now that the task is proving more difficult. I didn't get where I am paying for free services.

"See, your priest friend has roots here. He's going to go into this regardless and I suspect the hunter lady will as well. The rest of you will follow after them and all of that will happen for free. I'm sorry lads, heroes live a hard life."

image.jpeg.18b356b01b7971d6c0b65aeae394683a.jpeg

Name Aaliyah | Class Warlock/Sorc | Level: 1/5 | AC: 16| HP: 49/49 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 14 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 18
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Attacks: EB | +7 | 1d10+4(x2)

Cantrips       Spells Known (6): 

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o][o][o]

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 Sorc Points: 0/5

Spells (Sorc lvl1) [o][o][o][o] (lvl2) [o][o][o] (lvl3) [o][o]l (War lvl1) [o]  

Aaliyah sighs and starts to reach for her own purse, but looks at Ved and remembers last time she tried to pay him herself. For some reason he only accepted other people paying him to do things, even when she would pay him to do it. So instead she goes to sit at his table so she didn't stand over him. (This assumes he has a desk or table in his office.)

"Oh Bernie, you missed something about us. We aren't an 'us.' Remember that girl who came in with us? Pretty girl? Brown hair, smelled like a cat, dressed like a druid? She left last night instead of staying to help us. I was made to be her slave and instead of helping me get free, she just left. You're right about Barkvin. He's super nice and generous and he'll go kill himself fighting werewolves even if his mom wasn't here. He'd do it just for you even!

And Niko kills werewolf as her life's passion. She... she has some history. Oh and I'm gonna go! Niko is one of my mommas and Barkvin is too nice to let him just go. But most of us aren't friends. We just worked together sometimes and sometimes some of us only work if they get paid. I don't know this one," she gestures to Hyal, "we just met him last night. Ved is an asshole though. He's a real **** **** **** ****! He'll let little kids get killed by monsters if the monster doesn't have a bounty on it. And Murdain kills people for money, but that takes money. He wants to save Tel, I think he knows him, but he doesn't want to DIE to save Tel. That costs extra. More risk, right?

"So you see my problem? It's just me, Barkvin and Niko against a lot of werewolves and one of them is really big! Also he might be my brother! And you're right, Barkvin is GOING to do, even by himself. So I have to go, even though I'll probably die, without these other guys. So if they don't have some, um, pay involved, this is my last day alive. Isn't that something? And how sad will Luthan be that her son died a hero? But then also we die and the wolves just run all over because everyone else will just go back to Empyrean's Rest where there's a rich lady who pays better."

Edited by TheGospel (see edit history)
Name
Intimidation/persuasion (Same skill, idk which this is...)
1d20+7 15

Hjallmyr silently wondered why his new allies were wasting time extorting the locals when their friend had just run off on her own to fight the werewolves. He didn’t particularly care for the payout— Moonforge was plenty generous with its wages— but he also didn’t fancy a confrontation with a bunch of experienced fighters loaded up with magic equipment, so he chose to keep his thoughts to himself and pretend to be engrossed in his spell book until everyone was ready to leave.

Bernie's face goes through a myriad of expressions as Aaliyah talks. Eventually, that expression settles on defeat and he closes his office door and sits down. "Young lady, you're quite the talker. I bet in a few more years, you'll be in charge of quite a bit if you make it."

"The reality here is there's no coin for you to extort here. The town is broke and it's only going to get worse. It took everything I'd squirreled away to get through the last few months as the beasts all disappeared. Had to pay quite a bit to Moonforge traders to get them to ship food stuffs here instead of Luna City.

"And that gold ain't coming back. Luna City is enticing traders who unload a lot of their wares there so they don't need to come further north. Empyrean's Rest is exploding with all that gold that came in and the lady in charge there building a big travel stop to to entice traders to skip resting here and go straight there. I expect next year we'll see less than half the caravans stopping as more and more stop there instead and then go straight south to Luna City.

"Squeeze all you want but you can't get blood from a rock. You help this little town, itll be charity one way or another."

Murdain ShattershieldMurdainWitcher5.png.6cd2afbc95fe290c39b8a905db668054.png

Class: Psion 6 | AC: 14 | HP: 60/60 | Prof: +3 | Init: +3 | PP: 16 | Speed: 30ft

Conditions |0/3 0/36/6d8 HD| image.png.a82f23fe2d47028594124051b651afdc.png 2/2 LR| image.png.708944f243459fdd52c280f6b499426c.png 4/4 SR|image.png.c62acd6d65df4d9d52e101b519ead606.png 1/1 LR| potion.png.8ceade609fcabc6cc6ab30895b9a0a52.png 10/10 |💼 Inventory

Murdain was left unimpressed by the shifty man's attempts to avoid payment by using a payment of zero he'd given as information with a very sizable, unmentioned risk attached. However, his prior experiences suggested that lashing out for someone miserly attitude was not a good thing. You had to know when to push, when to convince, and when to suggest just the briefest notion of a threat. In his mind formed a properly worded reply on how to best get him to pay up; the mention of no existing contract, unmentioned hazard which warranted payment, the fact that they were not heroes but well-payed mercenaries as the Shadow was not a free service... That his duties to Empyrean's Rest did not extend to this little town. He'd briefly considered suggesting that Barkvin remove his mother from this place and let her leave with the caravan as a bluff - as then the main reason he'd liked this place would be gone. Murdian considered bringing up a few other things too, but when Aaliyah spoke, he hid his smirk by smoothing his beard.

Smart girl.

He was formulating what to say to add to her argument - in his view, it was near-perfect already, and coupled nicely with Kirit's rough demand; but Bernie replied first. When Murdain lowered his hand, his face was as neutral as before. Extortion... What a little shit. "Right. Lets go over this 'gain. S'unfortunate about yer situation, an' I hope it improves. My issue wit' yer logic was, Tel's freedom was paid fer with information. As she said..." He nodded at Aaliyah. "Contracts are best. Aint particularly interested in layin' my life fer Tel, but he did me a solid, an' I'll try an pay it back. No blood debt, but it was useful." Murdain spread his arms, palms up. "Riddin' town of that pack on charity aint soundin' too good, but it aint just gold you can pay with, y'know? Course, its nice..." The dwarf glanced at the window. "...But personally, I like information. Lotta people pass through yer town, not only traders. Lotta people will specifically not go near Empyrean's Rest fer... some reasons. Ye and yers hear a lot - so my offer's real simple. Give us a heads up first iffen ye hear somethin' interesting or strange. What sort? Yer an intelligent man, Bernie. I'm sure ye can sort the gems from tha mud. So to ye not havin' cold, hard coin... Les' call this an investment inta a friendly neighbor." Murdain offered his hand.

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action:
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: 

image.jpeg.18b356b01b7971d6c0b65aeae394683a.jpeg

Name Aaliyah | Class Warlock/Sorc | Level: 1/5 | AC: 16| HP: 49/49 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 14 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 18
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Attacks: EB | +7 | 1d10+4(x2)

Cantrips       Spells Known (6): 

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o][o][o]

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 Sorc Points: 0/5

Spells (Sorc lvl1) [o][o][o][o] (lvl2) [o][o][o] (lvl3) [o][o]l (War lvl1) [o]  

Now she was sad. Barkvin grew up here and the town was dying. She stands up and glares at Ved. "I'm sad now and it's your fault," she accuses, slapping his chest. Murdain had sealed some kind of deal so Aaliyah puts a hand on the door.

Barkvin knew if there was one who could get gold out of a turnip it was Bernie. Still he would have been surprised if Aaliyah and Kirit could out play the large gnome. As things wrap up he adds. "Aye, well I better warn me ma. Make sure the little ones be safe. Bernie, is me ma workin' this morning?" He asks.

OOC: Rolling insight on Bernie. Got a 25!

Mechanics

ACTION: insight on Bernie (25)

Edited by WolfBirch (see edit history)
Name
insight on Bernie
1d20+7 18