Session 9: Booty

GM Saint

Screenshot-20221031-063129.png.e20281c2da35b0e6c02db914a986139f.pngName: Kirit  |  Class: Fighter 6 

AC: 16+1HP: 66/72 | Hit dice: 4/4d10 

SR Abilities: SDice: 4/4d8  1/1d6 | Action surge 1/1 | 2nd Wind 1/1

LR Abilities: Luck 2/2 | Adamant 1/1  Attacks  | Saves  | Maneuvers

"My comrades usually call me Kirit." Kirit replies to Barkvin's introduction. His age is hard to guess, weathered face covered in black beard, scowling and scarring, but he seems to be in his late thirties or forties. He stands a little under six feet tall, with a wiry strength and ease of movement. His clothes, boots and armour seem very worn but well-cared for. The only signs of any wealth are a pair of very well-made swords.

"I'll not pretend this sounds like a great proposal to me. I prefer contracts that have a clear missing and a specified payment. But I'm also tired of pretending I'm not going along with these folks. They do have a habit of stirring up treasure. Expert in old things are you? What do you make of this?" He draws Praetorian and lays it on the table so the newcomer can examine it while he heads to the bar.

"Ale, please. And a private room. Can you sort out companionship for the evening?" He glances into the magic shop, looking for anything that might be of interest to a soldier.

hjallmyrhalfrock.png.f9f5d9e1d1cf70e5d987b36ad740c6e9.pngHjallmyr Halfrock

Class: Wizard 6 | AC: 12 | HP: 42/42 | Prof: +3 | Init: +2 | PP: 11 | Speed: 30ft

Saves: Str: -1 / Dex: +2 / Con: +1 / Int: +9 / Wis: +4 / Cha: +0 | Luck: 2/2 | Death: 0/0

Spell DC: 16 | Spell Attack: +9 | Spells Prepared: 11 | Spell Slots -- Lvl 1: 4/4 Lvl 2: 3/3 Lvl 3: 3/3

“As I said before, I am an archaeologist by trade. As such, I have knowledge of a diverse set of topics, as well as the ability to document, categorize, and analyze any new information we might find. I travel frequently, so I have a number of utility spells in my spell book to make traversing and surviving in any environment easier. I also have an array of offensive and defensive spells, purely for self defense of course. One can never be too careful.”

He looked over the weapon on the table, trying to glean whatever he could.

The others had begun to migrate toward the magic item shop, so he assumed the conversation would continue as they shopped. Unfortunately, he had gone through most of his funds getting this far, but it would be prudent to stock up on potions if he was going to join up with this group.

(ooc: The j makes a y sound like in fjord, so his name is pronounced Hyal-meer)

Edited by CrimsonKnight16 (see edit history)
Name
Knowles for Praetorian
1d20+8 14

Murdain ShattershieldMurdainWitcher5.png.6cd2afbc95fe290c39b8a905db668054.png

Class: Psion 6 | AC: 14 | HP: 60/60 | Prof: +3 | Init: +3 | PP: 16 | Speed: 30ft

Conditions |0/3 0/36/6d8 HD| image.png.a82f23fe2d47028594124051b651afdc.png 2/2 LR| image.png.708944f243459fdd52c280f6b499426c.png 4/4 SR|image.png.c62acd6d65df4d9d52e101b519ead606.png 1/1 LR| potion.png.8ceade609fcabc6cc6ab30895b9a0a52.png 8/10 |💼 Inventory

"I was supposed to be retired." He retorted to Nikoletta. "But aint no way thats happening at this point now that I've been dragged out of it. S'far as treasure huntin', thats yer choice. But way I see it, everythin' in Vale's interconnected, not that big an area. Plenty of secrets we both wanna learn, an' this the best way." Murdain half-turned, accepting the journal and nodding seriously to Souris' words. ~"I'll keep it safe. Take your time."~ Nodding at Hjallmyr's answer, he turned to go to the magic shop, but then considered his funds, and instead followed Kirit. If a negotiation was going to happen, best that he'd been nearby - the shop wasnt going to just disappear, at least for now. Hopefully. He took a seat if a chair was empty, and leaned on the counter if it was not. "I take it yer Bernie?" He addressed the gnome.

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action:
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: 

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)

Praetorian, Dwarven Oathblade

What's an oath blade? An extremely rare weapon bestowed with special powers, usually with the entire essence of a person, in order to achieve some goal. Different clans made them for different reasons but most clans have only made a couple. In the entirety of the dwarven race, there is maybe one blade forged in a generation, usually in response to some terrible need.

This one predates the Vale and you can tell that at a glance. The runes on it read 'in defense of the emperor..." no, not 'emperor,' but 'empyrean.' This weapon was forged to bond some individual to protect an Empyrean. It could be the one whose death created the Vale or it could be another. This...

Galvan Stonebeard. He was a knight of the shadow, called the Shadowbringer even. A dwarven paladin sworn to Umbra's service, he hunted the undead and often worked with druids to preserve the cycle of life, death, rot and rebirth. He was a legend from before Vale who disappeared. You remember the golem trying to claw its way out of that pit. It's likeness had tickled your mind but you've seen a painting of Galvan before and now it seems spot on. This was his sword and this human had this priceless dwarven artifact.

It looked like he was using it comfortably though, meaning he's taken the oath. So his life was bound to the blade, trying to reclaim it would require his life. There's no empyrean walking the world right now that you've heard of though, so who's he protecting? Has he taken an oath he'll never have to follow through with because there's no empyrean to protect? All the benefits of a priceless artifact, none of the price.

@WolfBirch

"Oy sweet, who's this imposin' figger?" Comes the thick accent of your mother as she comes up behind you. Only Nikoletta was really still at the table but she must have noticed you hear while they were still around because she asks, "yer other friends finally come to visit and they scatter like rats soon as some shiny dwarf shows on up."

You see an elven woman, one of the rare pure elves in the Vale. It's almost impossible to judge her age. She could be anywhere from 50 to 200. It was always a crapshoot with elves. A rare elven beauty, her silvery golden hair cut shorter than usual, a recent change since your last visit. Her timeless face carries the scars of her previous life but rather than spoiler her beauty, they add a contrast that elevates it. Like the other girls, she's wearing the green dress and white aprons. When Barkvin looks at her clothes, she shrugs. "He's gone and got himself a uniform kick. Starting to fancy himself a proper gentleman," she explains. While she used to wear a pirate hat for fun, that was gone and was replaced by a green bandanna the other girls didn't wear.

"Didn't expect ya' back so soon. What's on with it? You look a bit ill. What ya do to that arm? Ya forget ya can heal it up yerself?"

@Knave @Diofant

The gnome looks up when the two men approach. "I got rooms leftover. This lot came through a couple hours ago but they're mostly camping with their wagons. Five silver a night, ten if ya want food. Turn that into gold if you don't wanna sleep alone," he adds the last part at Ved's mention of company. "You two lot came in with Barkvin. Part of his 'crew' then? He said ya'll are the folks who took out the Shadow problem up north. Capable hands if it's true."

"I'll get to the point. Herald of the Grave, goes by the name of Tel, was staying here a few nights ago. Rowdy sort came in, throwin gold around, looking for his kind so he met 'em. Went off with 'em, never came back. Left everything in his room... Look, I ain't paying for a rescue but those men had money to burn and I'm pretty damn certain they either killed that priest or they locked him up for one reason or another. Normally, I'd just sell his stuff off to cover the room and forget it happened but I'm not trying to disrespect the death goddess. Figured I'd find some rowdy folks who can win a fight and they'd chase it all down.

Gotta watch their ilk though. Had some green-ish skinned goliath with 'im, biggest goliath I've ever seen. Left arm looked like he buried it in a forge. Look, you don't have to go. I did my part. I can comp your dinner and your rooms and I can promise that lot was shittin gold so if you get 'em, you'll get paid for it. I can't comp your... company. Not fair to the company."

“This blade…” Hjallmyr ran his hand over his face, speechless. He pulled out a few loose sheets of paper and began to make rough sketches of the sword, annotating it with notes about what he had found in the study. Half way through, he realized that Kirit probably was waiting on an explanation. He took a moment to gather his thoughts, took a deep breath, then continued in a shakey, excited voice. “This is an amazing find! If I’m correct, this is a dwarven oathblade. They are exceedingly rare, and designed with a specific purpose— an oath— in mind. This particular one likely belonged to Galvan Stonebeard, and was made specifically to protect an empyrean, though I have no idea which one. How is it even possible for you to wield this without an empyrean to protect? You must give me every detail of how you obtained it. This sword alone is an unprecedented find! You are holding the sword of a legend Mr. Kirit!”

orcpirate(2).jpg.12104ac02f934c721f72d91272b3fe2d.jpgName Barkvin | Class Cleric 6 | AC: 19 | HP: 57/57 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +3 / Dex +2 / Con +3 / Int +1 / Wis +8 / Cha +3 | Luck: (2/2) | Channel Divinity: (2/2)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life, Blessed Healer | 

Attacks: Mace | +5 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 | Hit Dice d8 (6/6) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame (2d8 radiant DEX save), Word of Radiance (2d6 radiant CON save)

Level 1 | (4/4) | Bless C (+d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+7 healing), Healing Word (1d4+7 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (3/3)  | Hold Person C (WIS), Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+4 force), Prayer of Healing (2d8+8 x6), Blindness Deafness (CON)

Level 3 | (3/3)  | Beacon of Hope C, Mass Healing Word (1d4+9 x6), Daylight, [Aura of Vitality C (2d6+5 for 1 minute)], Revivify, Spirit Guardians C (WIS 3d8 radiant), Remove Curse

Barkvin says his goodbyes to Souris. It is a little awkward.

When his mother comes in Barkvin runs to her and throws his arm around her. "Aye, ma. I missed ye. It is terrible there was this dragon lady... Oh ma. I don't to know what to do. Can we go and talk? Alone?" It is clear that Barkvin gets his accent from his mother. He is almost in tears as he hugs his mother with his one good arm.

Mechanics

MOVE: none

ACTION: none

BONUS ACTION: none

REACTION: none

CONCENTRATION: none

OOC: I hope you are okay with me saying that the new arm glows. I think that a glowing arm is a better flavor, thematically.

Free 1 level bump whenever plus benefits of a long rest. Need to add arm stats

@WolfBirch

"Dragon lady, you say? Ohhh I always knew boys would be hard..." your mother says with a wistful sigh. "Come outside with me and walk, ill get someone to take my tables upstairs."

She disappears for a moment to do just that then meets you outside. Walking towards the lake, shebtakrs your good arm. "So tell me about this lass thats troubling you. She the same ko d of problem as that Shadow lady you told me about last time?"

Murdain ShattershieldMurdainWitcher5.png.6cd2afbc95fe290c39b8a905db668054.png

Class: Psion 6 | AC: 14 | HP: 60/60 | Prof: +3 | Init: +3 | PP: 16 | Speed: 30ft

Conditions |0/3 0/36/6d8 HD| image.png.a82f23fe2d47028594124051b651afdc.png 2/2 LR| image.png.708944f243459fdd52c280f6b499426c.png 4/4 SR|image.png.c62acd6d65df4d9d52e101b519ead606.png 1/1 LR| potion.png.8ceade609fcabc6cc6ab30895b9a0a52.png 8/10 |💼 Inventory

The dwarf kept a neutral expression as he listened to the gnome. It did not seem like he had a paying job, after all, though the opportunity was there it seemed more like a hit than anything. However... Both he and Ved-Kirit? knew Tel. From the words of the halfling and Souris' father, he was aware of the 'Burn-Arm', as well. Doubtful there were more of him that were exactly like that. Running with a lot of people... Werewolves, likely. And the gold had to have been from the halfling. Why would they need him, though? To cure themselves? To get rid of the wards on Griselda's house? To make a corpse talk? "'is kind in what way? Clerics? Or priests of the death goddess?" He paused to hear the answer, then continued: "Ya happen ta overhear a direction they've been goin' in, or... Some kinda destination 'r goal?" Asking the innkeep for something like this was sketchy, but since he'd already expressed interest in this, it was either this or sneaking into the room - and with so few settlements, it was best to stay on their good side. Information was as good as gold. "...Iffen not. Y'think I can take a look at Tel's room? Maybe e's left a clue or summat fer where he's been goin'." Robbing a gang of werewolves seemed suspect, but he knew Niko would be interested for other reasons, Kirit might throw his hat in for another, Barkvin... well, Tel was a kindly priest. Aaliyah'd likely help anyway, and Hjallmyr... he didnt have his character understood yet. Still, it felt a bit bad to avoid the shop, not that he'd likely have the gold for it - and to just leave the new member hanging.

Extra pair of eyes would be useful.

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action:
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: 

orcpirate(2).jpg.12104ac02f934c721f72d91272b3fe2d.jpgName Barkvin | Class Cleric 6 | AC: 19 | HP: 57/57 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +3 / Dex +2 / Con +3 / Int +1 / Wis +8 / Cha +3 | Luck: (2/2) | Channel Divinity: (2/2)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life, Blessed Healer | 

Attacks: Mace | +5 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 | Hit Dice d8 (6/6) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame (2d8 radiant DEX save), Word of Radiance (2d6 radiant CON save)

Level 1 | (4/4) | Bless C (+d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+7 healing), Healing Word (1d4+7 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (3/3)  | Hold Person C (WIS), Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+4 force), Prayer of Healing (2d8+8 x6), Blindness Deafness (CON)

Level 3 | (3/3)  | Beacon of Hope C, Mass Healing Word (1d4+9 x6), Daylight, [Aura of Vitality C (2d6+5 for 1 minute)], Revivify, Spirit Guardians C (WIS 3d8 radiant), Remove Curse

As they go outside Barkvin just holds his mother and starts to bawl. "Oh ma, it wasn't the shadow lady but the Mory's. Well, she is the mother of the Mory's but like hundreds and hundreds of years old and her offspring are like werewolves and hate her. But this old lady came looking for me on account of this dream I had. Though how, she knew about me dream, I don't know, since I didn't tell no one. When the dragon came I ran of course and jumped into the lake, but she dove in after me and ripped my arm off. I thought for sure I was dead. Then I woke up and this old lady made herself look young and I come to find out she stitched a new arm on me, but it ain't mine. Oh, ma, its horrible and it hurts and I don't know what to do." He opens the blanket shows her the pale glowing pinkish tan hand. "I need a tailor, to make me a sleeve and glove to cover this arm until I can find a way to get my arm back. Oh, ma. I am so sorry!" He cries some more. He sniffs loudly, "Aye, and I hear tell that you have another daughter from before Pa. Is that true?" He asks still sniffling.

OOC: Is there a tailor in town he can get some new clothes from or at least a seamstress who can make him a new sleeve and a glove? Yeah, that would be cool if his new arm is covered in a black sleeve with a black glove.

Mechanics

MOVE: none

ACTION: none

BONUS ACTION: none

REACTION: none

CONCENTRATION: none

OOC: I hope you are okay with me saying that the new arm glows. I think that a glowing arm is a better flavor, thematically.

Free 1 level bump whenever plus benefits of a long rest. Need to add arm stats

360_F_550145852_p3MjtVaLStdL6fBKNHQZIyXwvqUQHVon.jpg.b9c3ec16c0fc13a81db46d2d22c75495.jpg

Name Nikoletta Vandal | Class BH/Pal | Level: 6 | AC: 15| HP: 72/72 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 18 / Dex 12 / Con 14 / Int 08 / Wis 10 / Cha 14
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Eyeless [x] Aroooo:[o] The Die: 1d6 Attacks: Greatsword | +7 | 1d12+4 slash - Bow | +4 | 1dd8+3

Spells: Misty Step/Levitate/Dispel Magic/Bless [o][o][o][o]

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o][o]

"Yes, there she goes," Niko remarks. "Well, Hyall, it is a pleasure to meet you. Sorry if I must excuse myself but my daughter is going to get herself into some kind of trouble." Niko stands and takes another bite of that fried cheese.

She then rushes after Aaliyah, certain there is a pending disaster if she lets her go alone.

Screenshot-20221031-063129.png.e20281c2da35b0e6c02db914a986139f.pngName: Kirit  |  Class: Fighter 6 

AC: 16+1HP: 66/72 | Hit dice: 4/4d10 

SR Abilities: SDice: 4/4d8  1/1d6 | Action surge 1/1 | 2nd Wind 1/1

LR Abilities: Luck 2/2 | Adamant 1/1  Attacks  | Saves  | Maneuvers

Kirit nods along to Hjallmyr's explanation. "Seems about right. I had to take the oath to get it out of the block of stone it was in. The thing talks, has a whole personality. He seems to think there's an empyrean or something like it hereabouts. But I'm getting confused at all the things he's been saying to be honest. I don't think he's truthful. But best for me if I don't know. If I don't know, I can't keep the oath or break it neither. I found it in a hole in the ground round here, with a stone fella. I don't remember the name of the place or the fella, if I ever knew it. The others might recollect."

He sheathes the sword

"Murdain, can you decide if this job is worthwhile? I'll go if you are going. The others seem like they have a lot to figure out."

He turns back to the barman. "And it's the one thing I never try to get out of paying for. I don't need those sort of complications. Life is complicated enough."

image.jpeg.18b356b01b7971d6c0b65aeae394683a.jpeg

Name Aaliyah | Class Warlock/Sorc | Level: 1/5 | AC: 16| HP: 49/49 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 14 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 18
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Attacks: EB | +7 | 1d10+4(x2)

Cantrips       Spells Known (6): 

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o]

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 Sorc Points: 0/5

Spells (Sorc lvl1) [o][o][o][o] (lvl2) [x][o][o] (lvl3) [o][o]l (War lvl1) [o]  

"Ohhh!" Aaliyah was so excited she left the staff outside the extraplanar space as she ran inside. Every case was full of fascinating toys. "Looks at this trove, treasures untold... how many wonders can one cavern hold..." she sings gleefully, reciting a song her mother used to sing to her.

"I want..." she dumps all of her gold onto a counter. "How many healing potions can I have? I need all of them. Ummm... I can trade you this to." She starts to take her focus off.

360_F_550145852_p3MjtVaLStdL6fBKNHQZIyXwvqUQHVon.jpg.b9c3ec16c0fc13a81db46d2d22c75495.jpg

Name Nikoletta Vandal | Class BH/Pal | Level: 6 | AC: 15| HP: 72/72 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 18 / Dex 12 / Con 14 / Int 08 / Wis 10 / Cha 14
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Eyeless [x] Aroooo:[o] The Die: 1d6 Attacks: Greatsword | +7 | 1d12+4 slash - Bow | +4 | 1dd8+3

Spells: Misty Step/Levitate/Dispel Magic/Bless [o][o][o][o]

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o][o]

"What... Aaliyah?" Niko had been glancing about herself, more out of curiosity than interest in anything. So when Aaliyah began dumping her gold out, she went to attention and came over.

"This seems a bit excessive, child. What do you plan to do with so many potions?"