Session 9: Booty

GM Saint

https://mwbaldrcdkstack-ipbuploads6f377ba5-6asvxg6ywium.s3.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/monthly_2023_11/ffe456db-145a-4206-a621-b97d83a44164(2).jpg.5c56c24bd51547bf470bfc45f6b0d253.jpgName: Souris Garou | Class: Druid 6 | AC: 1 | HP 54/54 | Prof: +3 | PP: 17

Saves | Attacks | Cantrips | Magic Items | Wildshape: ▣ ▣

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack: +7 | Level 1 ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣  | Level 2 ▣ ▣ ▣ |   Level 3 ▣ ▣ | Luck ▣ ▣

She shrugged at Murdain, ~I'd rather he be a floor then a wall, and under the ground even better, but I'm not so stupid to fight him.~ To Barkvin, she gave a resigned nod, apparently she was the only one who really wanted Gavan gone, and his smug response to her just made it all the more so. Her eyes made their inevitable roll at the shinning knight as she walked away with Aaliyah.

"I read about it in the journal that's how I knew it was there. It was also holding other fey spirits captive, they spoke to me and were in so much pain, so I needed to release them. That and I thought we were stuck, that the barbs would just keep growing back, and we'd be stuck forever if I didn't take it... I can deal with evil, I was half raised by Baba you know... so I know evil can be good, can do good... kinda. Like when Baba blessed us all to help us... sorry I know you hate her, but as bad as she can be, she's always been good to me."

Dice Ex Machina

image.jpeg.18b356b01b7971d6c0b65aeae394683a.jpeg

Name Aaliyah | Class Warlock/Sorc | Level: 1/5 | AC: 16| HP: 49/49 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 14 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 18
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Attacks: EB | +7 | 1d10+4(x2)

Cantrips       Spells Known (6): 

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o]

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 Sorc Points: 0/5

Spells (Sorc lvl1) [o][o][o][o] (lvl2) [x][o][o] (lvl3) [o][o]l (War lvl1) [o]  

"Evil can do good but it does more evil, thats why we call it evil... what did Niko say? How many people are allowed to die so you don't have to feel bad about killing someone?

"But I dont care about that right now." She trips over the staff suddenly at her feet and then stomps on it until its in the dirt. "I told Barkvin I wanted to get rid of the staff but... someone has to keep it. I can feel it trying to get out. If someone doesn't hold it, he is gonna get free and Niko almost died really fast fighting him."

"But... this staff is powerful. I dont want to get rid of it and thats scary."

Edited by Alliebaby (see edit history)

"You've picked my brain, now it's my turn. Tell me about our neighbor. Are they friend or foe? What were those creatures? I've never seen their ilk. They were fast, insanely fast and their bite got through my armor in one spot. Not men, not the undead..." Gavan rubs as his forearm where you remember seeing it badly bruised earlier.

https://mwbaldrcdkstack-ipbuploads6f377ba5-6asvxg6ywium.s3.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/monthly_2023_11/ffe456db-145a-4206-a621-b97d83a44164(2).jpg.5c56c24bd51547bf470bfc45f6b0d253.jpgName: Souris Garou | Class: Druid 6 | AC: 1 | HP 54/54 | Prof: +3 | PP: 17

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack: +7 | Level 1 ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣  | Level 2 ▣ ▣ ▣ |   Level 3 ▣ ▣ | Luck ▣ ▣

Souris shrugged. "How many people were saved because we were blessed by Baba? Weren't you the one who was upset about the werewolf being burned when he probably would have surrendered and even wanted to save that other monster in the cavern. I think everything around her is too personal for either of us to see eye to eye. I am glad you're in my life though, and that's because of her too, even if you hate it. Anyway..." Souris averted her eyes, she didn't like her emotions on display, especially not in public. She almost shifted into a wolf, but as it might stir Gavan's horse, she didn't want the drama, but she changed the topic as quickly as she could. "The Harvester, the staff, that was a binding that Griselda did as a favor to Solinarius. Transferring a curse into the staff. I know all about it... I know the dangers, I also know that you have brushed with death so many times that this thing is more likely to trap your soul than anyone... It was made for a druid to be able to master it best. I'm just going to use it until we can find a way to kill the demon. I don't want you suffering any more because of me, don't make me count all the ways, just let me take this curse from you?"

Dice Ex Machina

360_F_550145852_p3MjtVaLStdL6fBKNHQZIyXwvqUQHVon.jpg.b9c3ec16c0fc13a81db46d2d22c75495.jpg

Name Nikoletta Vandal | Class BH/Pal | Level: 6 | AC: 15| HP: 72/72 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 18 / Dex 12 / Con 14 / Int 08 / Wis 10 / Cha 14
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Eyeless [x] Aroooo:[o] The Die: 1d6 Attacks: Greatsword | +7 | 1d12+4 slash - Bow | +4 | 1dd8+3

Spells: Misty Step/Levitate/Dispel Magic/Bless [o][o][o][o]

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o][o]

"Ser Gavan," Niko greets, moving to meet him when he dismount. "Solita." Her hand goes up to scratch the horses ears gently.

"Horses have never been quite fond of me. Spiders, sure, but not horses." She turns to look over at the knight with a cheeky, ever so slightly flirty smile. "I'm not fond of them back."

"Ser Gavan, this particular journey is one quite personal for our friend here. Respectfully, while I wouldn't mind the company and you do owe me dinner, I am afraid someone not very close to him would be terribly intrusive and he's far too polite to admit it. You know how family can be, I'm sure. Perhaps you can meet us in Port in a day or two."

Niko sighs loudly, a bit dramatically even. "A shame to be so busy though. Skorn and mutants and family emergencies. I'd hoped a moment to relax, have a proper bath and a glass of wine.:

Edited by Alliebaby (see edit history)
Name
Persuasion 
1d20+2 20

Murdain ShattershieldMurdainWitcher5.png.6cd2afbc95fe290c39b8a905db668054.png

Class: Psion 6 | AC: 14 | HP: 60/60 | Prof: +3 | Init: +3 | PP: 16 | Speed: 30ft

Conditions |0/3 0/36/6d8 HD| image.png.a82f23fe2d47028594124051b651afdc.png 2/2 LR| image.png.708944f243459fdd52c280f6b499426c.png 4/4 SR|image.png.c62acd6d65df4d9d52e101b519ead606.png 1/1 LR| potion.png.8ceade609fcabc6cc6ab30895b9a0a52.png 8/10 |💼 Inventory

Murdain nodded. It seemed like they were all mostly in agreement. "Right. Aint a lot to tell. Our neighbor's one Griselda Mory, ancient Archdruid from 'fore the Vale. Friend or foe's unclear. Thinkin' more in-between. The creatures you fought are the Mory clan; her descendants. They're cannibalistic an' unwanted in town. Till yesterday, didnt know how many of them there were. She dont control em nor influence em, so it aint her doing. They're some kinda cruel experiment, but the sum of it is a mutant werewolf with even more resilience. Can survive 'ead bein' destroyed."

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action:
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: 

image.jpeg.18b356b01b7971d6c0b65aeae394683a.jpeg

Name Aaliyah | Class Warlock/Sorc | Level: 1/5 | AC: 16| HP: 49/49 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 14 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 18
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Attacks: EB | +7 | 1d10+4(x2)

Cantrips       Spells Known (6): 

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o]

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 Sorc Points: 0/5

Spells (Sorc lvl1) [o][o][o][o] (lvl2) [x][o][o] (lvl3) [o][o]l (War lvl1) [o]  

"You have to promise to never give it away. Not to anyone but especially never to... her. And when we find a way to destroy it, we destroy it." Aaliyah will go get Barkvin and lead him over to join them if she agrees.

"Hey, I know you're tired but can you manage that spell today? Maybe not until Gavan goes away though..."

"They were tough to keep down, but the Sunsetter..." he starts to put his weapon over again but is focused on Niko. He nods along to her, understanding he's imposing on them. "Of course. It is a difficult task to express to someone that they're unwelcome without it sounding rude." His eyes flicker to Souris as if to make that point. "I understand now though. This is a more personal gathering and I would not fit well. I shall accompany you for a bit longer and take my leave long before we arrive at Port. Perhaps I'll find time to visit it later."

"As for our neighbor then. Druids should be respected. I've never encountered one that was a true force for evil. Their values don't always align well with the civilized folks of the world and that can cause conflict but I've never known one to be harmful presence, just the occasional headache."

Screenshot-20221031-063129.png.e20281c2da35b0e6c02db914a986139f.pngName: Kirit  |  Class: Fighter 6 

AC: 16+1HP: 66/72 | Hit dice: 4/4d10 

SR Abilities: SDice: 0/4d8  0/1d6 | Action surge 0/1 | 2nd Wind 0/1

LR Abilities: Luck 2/2 | Adamant 0/1  Attacks  | Saves  | Maneuvers

"Old Ved said she was my mother. But I have no memory of it..." Kirit scratches his beard.

"Agreed, assuming you mean destroy the Harvester, not really the staff. He was bound to it for a reason, don't want to destroy it and have him loosed." When Gavan was talking, she sneezed for some reason, then shook her head, not really paying attention to what he said.

Dice Ex Machina

orcpirate(2).jpg.12104ac02f934c721f72d91272b3fe2d.jpgName Barkvin | Class Cleric 6 | AC: 19 | HP: 57/57 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +3 / Dex +2 / Con +3 / Int +1 / Wis +8 / Cha +3 | Luck: (2/2) | Channel Divinity: (2/2)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life, Blessed Healer | 

Attacks: Mace | +5 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 | Hit Dice d8 (6/6) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame (2d8 radiant DEX save), Word of Radiance (2d6 radiant CON save)

Level 1 | (4/4) | Bless C (+d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+7 healing), Healing Word (1d4+7 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (3/3)  | Hold Person C (WIS), Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+4 force), Prayer of Healing (2d8+8 x6), Blindness Deafness (CON)

Level 3 | (3/3)  | Beacon of Hope C, Mass Healing Word (1d4+9 x6), Daylight, [Aura of Vitality C (2d6+5 for 1 minute)], Revivify, Spirit Guardians C (WIS 3d8 radiant), Remove Curse

Barkvin stays quiet to most of the conversation. He considers the request. ~I don't know that Souris should have this staff, but I want to help Aaliyah remove her suffering.~ The cleric ponders this question. "Argh, okay I can do it, when he is gone. Though we ought be ready for some problems from the demon." He agrees reluctantly out of Gavan's ear shot.

"What that miserable old haggard druid is your mother? Well ain't that a twist I never saw coming. Does that make all of them Mory's your half-siblings?" He asks as the shock of what Ved (Kirit) said washes over him. Then his mind spins round. "Aye, sorry, I ..." He shuts his mouth and stumbles forward not sure what to say. His mind spins around and another shot of pain comes from the wrapped arm he holds it and winces till it passes and continues on. "I need to get me some new clothes, a certain dragon ruined these ones." He adds.

Mechanics

MOVE: none

ACTION: none

BONUS ACTION: none

REACTION: none

CONCENTRATION: none

OOC: I hope you are okay with me saying that the new arm glows. I think that a glowing arm is a better flavor, thematically.

Free 1 level bump whenever plus benefits of a long rest. Need to add arm stats

Screenshot-20221031-063129.png.e20281c2da35b0e6c02db914a986139f.pngName: Kirit  |  Class: Fighter 6 

AC: 16+1HP: 66/72 | Hit dice: 4/4d10 

SR Abilities: SDice: 0/4d8  0/1d6 | Action surge 0/1 | 2nd Wind 0/1

LR Abilities: Luck 2/2 | Adamant 0/1  Attacks  | Saves  | Maneuvers

Kirit shakes his head. "He lied about everything, why should this be the truth? Even if she confirms it, hard to know what to believe. Changes nothing anyway. Means nothing." He grasps Praetorian's holt. "Maybe thirty years ago it might have. But it's ancient history now. The Morys? They..." He brightens a little as something occurs to him. "I do get to be less careful about the ladies I chase now. When I didn't know, I always worried."

Edited by Knave (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

@CrimsonKnight16

Baron Theodore Tessian was an archmage of Carysand. The Moonforge dwarves have records indicating he was the lord of the area that would become the Vale when the Empyrean fell. Exploring the Vale could be a dangerous prospect but you've been given assignments there before on account of being Valeborn yourself. You were given the vexxing task of finding Tessian's study and seeing what knowledge might still remain within. For the last six months, you've been digging through old maps and chasing dubious rumors about caves in the Vale.

Finally, you found something promising. The trouble with using old maps is most of the useful landmarks were destroyed during the explosion of magical energy that created the Vale. Many locations were buried under the ground as a shockwave of energy blasted out from what's now the lake at the Vale's center. The rolling hills that define the Vale's landscape are the result of that rippling earth. So the library isn't where it used to be and it's most likely under a hill somewhere.

"I found some kind of old tower under a hill," the man had reported. He was a less than honest man usually but you found him quite motivated to help you. "it was full of these black sludges that chased us down and when we escaped, we were ambushed. My whole pack got wiped." The man was a werewolf, a true born by the sounds of it, and he was willing to do anything to see that place purged... except go with you, of course.

Black puddings were dangerous but manageable with copious use of fire. They weren't intelligent creatures really so you could take your time to prepare the area before luring them out. You had it all planned and out and were quite confident. It'd take some time, maybe even a few days, but you could afford to be methodical about it. Then you arrived and found the remains of the man's pack and the walls of a cave that had clearly been subjected to extreme magical fire. No signs of black puddings anywhere.

You crawled through the claustrophobic tunnel opening that lead down into the tower's remains and found more fresh scorch marks and traces of burned puddings. You also found a massive filth dweller, an otyugh, still trapped in a pit far below that it seemed sluggish and weak. There was also a dwarven stone golem down there trying to fight it's way out. It was fascinating but you knew you could never take such a thing. Luckily, it was trapped in a pit, allowing you to explore the study. Unfortunately, someone had very recently picked the place clean.

There were two towns close enough to the site to be a likely place to find who beat you to it. You couldn't exactly go looking for a fight because someone you never met raided an ancient site before you could but they might be talked into sharing knowledge or agreeing to sell their finds to the clan.

Port was one such town. The other was Empyrean's Rest. Port was closer and smaller and well known for a nearly completely transient population. It made sense to start there and ask around.

Edited by GM Saint (see edit history)

Port:

A very small town on the western shore of Lake Empyrean, named after the inn that birthed it. Port is a town revolving around a single inn also just called Port. The inn sprung up to accommodate sailors skirting the outside of the lake heading north or south. "Let's make port," was the term the owner cheekily referenced, stating "branding matters."

The inn is half the town. A massive place with multiple wings full of rooms to accommodate any needs a sailor might have. Whether it be booze, song or... company... Port has it for sale. The rest of the town sprung up around the inn, mostly homes for people that worked there or for tradesmen who help maintain the large inn or help with ship repairs.

The entire town's population is only a hundred or so though it fluctuates, as things do in the Vale. There's no government, no mayor, but Bernie Oglethorpe, the inn's owner and founder, is basically in charge of everything. He pays the only armed men in the area to keep the inn safe - and the town by extension - and if he takes exception to someone, they tend to go away. Bernie is a gnome, a stocky old gnome who looks close enough to a dwarf that some speculate he's a half breed. Nice enough but quite harsh when he has to be, he's also an exile with a dubious past but he keeps his people safe and he earns loyalty through safety and strong wages. You could say he's just all business.

The town is about three days journey from Empyrean's Rest if you take the safer routes but it's doable in less than a day if you're willing to hug the lake and cut directly across. Lately, the Vale is experiencing an absence of large predators thanks to Sylvania and her spawn so the short route isn't very dangerous.

@Diofant @Alliebaby @Knave @WolfBirch @TheGospel @Rumrunner

Gavan rode along for a few moments longer before excusing himself politely and breaking north. He said he wanted to ride a long route around the area to get back and see more of the terrain for himself. He'd promised to meet Niko in Port in two days or to send word if it wasn't possible.

Several hours later and you arrive in the 'town' of Port. The large inn can be seen long before you arrive, it's many rooms sporadically lit and the larger dockside bonfire visible in the slightly darkening sky. The sun is setting and the inn is booming tonight. There's a large caravan passing through it looks like based on how active the area around the stables are and the covered wagons being secured.

Unburdened by animals, you go straight to the large inn and the tavern that encompasses the entire first floor. The Fateless Father got plenty of traffic, especially when ships stop on their way north or south, and it was run by just Agatha. While Empyrean's Rest is the largest actual town in the Vale, the inn only really got very busy a few times a year until recently. Port is packed, easily as busy as the inns you saw in Exile's Pass.

There must be a half a dozen girls in these green dresses with white aprons on, some young, some older, darting around the common room. They carried food and booze or cleaned tables. Some, you notice, have a few less buttons done and their skirts are a bit shorter. One girl is seen leading a man up the stairs. Port offers all sorts of services. Barkin would know that not all the girls participate in that business. It's actually very specific girls, not the serving girls.

Behind the bar is Bernie, the stocky gnome with a beard full enough to make any dwarf proud. He's talking to a heavy set, round woman wearing a linen dress and a heavy cloak. Most likely she's the caravan master. There is a large goliath woman also behind the bar, filling drink orders. When you step inside, the first thing you notice is actually the green dragonborn man sitting on a stool. He has a pair of metal knuckle braces on, a good tool to knock someone clean out if he had to. He squints at Aaliyah oddly when she comes in and almost stands up to approach before he hears an argument fire up across the common room and has to go cool their heads. There's two other obvious security sources inside the inn itself. A lithe tabaxi man, an extremely rare site in the Vale as the tabaxi aren't native to anywhere close by, and a dwarven woman on the second floor, leaning on the railing with a loaded crossbow and with a metal headed cudgel at her side. There are more tables up there.

"Barkvin!" The goliath woman behind the bar calls. Her name is Hilde and you suspect the massive woman has had a slight crush on you for years. She's not Valeborn but she's lived most of her life in the Vale. Her kin are fire giant born goliaths from somewhere out west and her parents ran afoul of another clan and got cut down. She fled with an uncle and ended up in the Vale, where no one would give chase. Now she helps Bernie brew his own ale and helps with a lot of the physical load. "Bring that sweet green ass over and take a seat. Your ma just ran food to the suite up stairs and oughta be back shortly. Who's your friends? This the lot you talked about last time you came? The ones that killed that crazy shadow thing causing all the problems?"

At mention of killing the Shadow, Bernie looks up and over at you. He sizes you and your friends up and returns to his conversation, likely making note to visit you himself shortly.

@CrimsonKnight16

The Shadow, many people had called it. In the last year, a mystery predator had haunted the northern bits of the Vale. It wiped out entire herds of deer, murdered livestock by the dozens and evil seemed to be devouring rabbits and many birds. It had killed off most of the major predators also, which did make travel safe but there had been a lot of talk of an impending famine. Word hadn't traveled far what happened with it but from your lone seat at a small table off to the side, you'd just heard the bartender say the newcomers had killed the Shadow...

I'd like everyone to take a moment and re-introduce yourselves. Describe yourselves for our new friend. New friend, you may make your introductions as well.