Session 9: Booty

GM Saint

Barkvin quietly warns his mother and she agrees to not cause a panic. She's worried about you but knows trying to stop you would be useless. So she promises to get everyone together and if you don't return by morning, to lead everyone to Empyrean's Rest in a hurry. Bernie agrees to much the same, to lock the inn down and let everyone choose to leave or stay and ride it out.

You leave town and head west. The Vale's terrain is infamously hilly, the ripples from the earth being ripped up as some terrible conflict happened, years ago, in the center of Lake Empyrean. Trees are sparse around here but the ground is mostly soft. The Vale is also well known for extremely fertile, easily farmable land and the lake is rumored to have healing properties. There's no direct path to the camp. You have to either climp a sheer rock wall onto a stony hilltop or go around to the south or north.

The wind is blowing mostly south right now. You get eyes on the camp. A single large tent with about two dozen men scattered about the area. They've got a few campfires burning right now, a few have pots of something cooking over them. There's no sign off Indomitus but the large red dragonborn is sitting cross legged near the middle of the camp, his eyes closed and nose angling up slightly. Every now and then he flexes his wings.

The map on Roll20 is currently up.

OOC:

The map is a little blurry when you zoom in. It wasn't when I set it up but you can still see the landmarks. I disabled Roll20's grid for this map since the map has it's own grid but your tokens won't 'snap' to a tile so take note when moving.

I placed Aaliyah's token down about where you guys are meeting up to discuss your plan so plop your own tokens down around hers somewhere.

Screenshot-20221031-063129.png.e20281c2da35b0e6c02db914a986139f.pngName: Kirit  |  Class: Fighter 6 

AC: 16+1HP: 72/72 | Hit dice: 4/4d10 

SR Abilities: SDice: 4/4d8  1/1d6 | Action surge 1/1 | 2nd Wind 1/1

LR Abilities: Luck 2/2 | Adamant 1/1  Attacks  | Saves  | Maneuvers

Kirit looks a little bemused as the diminutive hand slaps his chest. "Settle down, kid, or... I'll tell your mother, I guess."

Then he frowns. "Didn't mean to make you sad though. Let's be friends? World's dark enough without us all falling out."

When they arrive, Kirit looks around for any sign of Niko.

360_F_550145852_p3MjtVaLStdL6fBKNHQZIyXwvqUQHVon.jpg.b9c3ec16c0fc13a81db46d2d22c75495.jpg

Name Nikoletta Vandal | Class BH/Pal | Level: 6 | AC: 15| HP: 72/72 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 18 / Dex 12 / Con 14 / Int 08 / Wis 10 / Cha 14
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Eyeless [x] Aroooo:[o] The Die: 1d6 Attacks: Greatsword | +7 | 1d12+4 slash - Bow | +4 | 1dd8+3

Spells: Misty Step/Levitate/Dispel Magic/Bless [o][o][o][o]

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o][o]

Niko isn't there when they arrive. She's left her silver dagger in the side of a tree at the place they would meet up but she'd gone ahead without them. There may be answers in this camp and she didn't think anyone else would be accepted without immediate violence. That violence would come but no one was going to stop her from finding him...

She approaches from upwind, letting them smell her approach. Her step is confident and relaxed, her body language dismissive of the men at the camp. The moment they begin to take notice of her and turn her way, she lowers her collar to reveal the large bite scar there. "I would not recommend you show your teeth," she warns, "or I will show mine. I seek Indominus." Her eyes are on the tent, ignoring the men around her.

image.jpeg.16ce5352f94763c941745d81ddda29a0.jpeg

Several of the people in the camp react to you and a few even start to come your way until you reveal your scar. They hesitate. You're clearly stronger than most of them, even if a few of the men are physically larger. They have numbers but no one seems anxious to be the first person to step up. Lucky for them, you ask for the person they'd all prefer to have deal with a stranger.

One woman stands up from her fire and gets in front of you, trying to appear tough but she backs down and nods towards the tent. As she does so, you notice the dragonborn's nostril twitch. He stays in his meditative position, pretending to not notice you but he's following along.

"Ain't that a name for a stranga ta know," you hear the deep voice, his thick orcish accent cowing many of the people gathered. The man that pushes out of the tent is more than seven feet tall, broad shouldered and freakishly well muscled. His head is clean shaven, his ears have a slight point to them. His skin is a strangely grayish green color, faded so that the green is only visible in certain light. This is a golric, a half-orc, half-goliath. He's unarmed but his wrists and hands are wrapped up like a boxer's. His left arm is horribly burned.

"A drow? On the surface?" He approaches and begins sniffing the air. "A drow wolf. Old curse on ya, somethin' different. So what? Ya come out 'ere lookin' ta sign up for tha cause?"

360_F_550145852_p3MjtVaLStdL6fBKNHQZIyXwvqUQHVon.jpg.b9c3ec16c0fc13a81db46d2d22c75495.jpg

Name Nikoletta Vandal | Class BH/Pal | Level: 6 | AC: 15| HP: 72/72 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 18 / Dex 12 / Con 14 / Int 08 / Wis 10 / Cha 14
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Eyeless [x] Aroooo:[o] The Die: 1d6 Attacks: Greatsword | +7 | 1d12+4 slash - Bow | +4 | 1dd8+3

Her stomach almost dropped when he came out. She never hesitated to leap into a fight but she wasn't immune to being afraid. The way this man loomed over her and she knew his actual strength mirrored his appearance. This wasn't just a wolf, it was a early generation wolf who'd been experimented on. Likely he was a strong fighter in his own right also.

She swallowed and stared up at him, locking eyes. Acknowledging danger, feeling your own fear, was part of being a survivor. Acting in spite of that fear was what made you a hunter. "Not exactly," she answers. "I ran across some abominations not long ago, humans turned into wolves that never change. Strong, fast and ghoulish but still human in appearance. I came across a certain Halfling there. We talked about things. He mentioned some names. Your name. Then I cut his head off... I think we have a lot to talk about."

His face hardens the moment she mentions the Mory family and he growls at mention of the halfling. "Din't expect that..." he admits. A great many emotions seem to cross his face (roll insight) as you proceed. "Ain't much to talk about then if 'es dead. Tried to get back to 'im a few times but 'es always 'ad that house made like a fort. Was on me list, after dear 'ol daddy wolf gets got..."

He extends his arms out to the sides, "aftah we become a propa pack! A legion of the mooniest dogs ya ever seen!" He howls and the others in the camp answer it, the sound carrying across the area. "So ya here to rage or ya kill the little one to prove some point? If it's a challenge, I'll be real sad to break you in half."

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o][o][o][o][o]

The howling pierced her to the bone. Wolves all around her. Her heart began racing and she clenched her fists only to hide the trembling. She wanted to flee, she wanted to kill them all and her wolf? Her own wolf just wanted to howl with them. She made a mistake coming... she should have just lead with the slaughter.

"Challenge? I don't want your pack... twenty years ago... A wolf with a streak of silver down its back was near a village on the western fringe. That streak, it isn't common... the wolf was missing an eye. If anyone here knows this wolf..."

Edited by Alliebaby (see edit history)
Name
Insight
1d20 19

You study his face and it seems he's developing a lot of respect for you. He believes you killed his tormentor and he wants you at his side. When you describe the wolf though, he grins. "I remember a man, dressed all in black... almost 'ad me, he did. Gave me a right proper fight with his little militia boys, bunch of scrawny chumps. Made me a few pups myself that night."

He reaches up and puts a finger to the side of his right eye and pops it out, revealing it to be wooden. You hadn't noticed it earlier. "Now there's a bit of a plot twist, aye? What ya want, now you done find 'im..." he leans right over you so his face is next to yours, then he turns enough to sniff at your collar. "Is that... is that a little bit of... me... I smell in you. I don't remember makin' no drow pups. That make me a grandpappy, does it?"

Murdain ShattershieldMurdainWitcher5.png.6cd2afbc95fe290c39b8a905db668054.png

Class: Psion 6 | AC: 14 | HP: 60/60 | Prof: +3 | Init: +3 | PP: 16 | Speed: 30ft

Conditions |0/3 0/36/6d8 HD| image.png.a82f23fe2d47028594124051b651afdc.png 2/2 LR| image.png.708944f243459fdd52c280f6b499426c.png 4/4 SR|image.png.c62acd6d65df4d9d52e101b519ead606.png 1/1 LR| potion.png.8ceade609fcabc6cc6ab30895b9a0a52.png 10/10 |💼 Inventory

Murdain patted Aaliyah on the shoulder once they left the inn, him having made his purchase. "Good work." He quietly said. "It was smart thinking, saying that." Once he'd said his piece, he walked ahead of the others. This was the last chance to try and get information on his mother, but as the huntress had run off... it was unlikely he'd get to speak before the fight began. The cold voice suggested he disregard the others and advance his own needs... But he brushed it aside. It was an emotional desire to speak to the one whom had seen his mother before she came to the Shattershield... not a logical one. But he knew he would not easily forget that grudge. Once the group had begun to approach the camp, Murdain tested the wind, and indicated to approach from downwind, so the dragonborn wouldnt smell them. "Priority targets are dragonborn and the large orc with the burned arm. If we need to retreat, I've a way to make the entire area overgrow and slow them. Best would be funnel them." He said to the others, before looking for a slightly closer position. He had to be a bit closer to extract Nikoletta or Tel.

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action:
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: 

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)

OOC: I had one more quickie before the fireballs come in!

Niko was shaken down to her core. It took every ounce of self control she had to not sink her teeth into his throat right then and there. "One more question then, grandfather. I killed your captor, you made me what I am... you owe me this and then I'll be gone forever. The night you escaped, a man had gone crazy and nearly killed the Halfling. He set the captives free. What do you know about him? If he still draws breath, I... dearly wish to look into his eyes."

"Never laid eyes on him. Humie though, gotta be long dead. His name... Ludwig, Ludwig Von something... Von Thoren something. You just gonna walk off now, are ya? Not gonna give dear old a hug and akiss on the cheek?"

orcpirate(2).jpg.12104ac02f934c721f72d91272b3fe2d.jpgName Barkvin | Class Cleric 6 | AC: 19 | HP: 57/57 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +3 / Dex +2 / Con +3 / Int +1 / Wis +8 / Cha +3 | Luck: (2/2) | Channel Divinity: (2/2)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life, Blessed Healer | 

Attacks: Mace | +5 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 | Hit Dice d8 (6/6) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame (2d8 radiant DEX save), Word of Radiance (2d6 radiant CON save)

Level 1 | (4/4) | Bless C (+d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+7 healing), Healing Word (1d4+7 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (3/3)  | Hold Person C (WIS), Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+4 force), Prayer of Healing (2d8+8 x6), Blindness Deafness (CON)

Level 3 | (3/3)  | Beacon of Hope C, Mass Healing Word (1d4+9 x6), Daylight, [Aura of Vitality C (2d6+5 for 1 minute)], Revivify, Spirit Guardians C (WIS 3d8 radiant), Remove Curse

Barkvin warns his mother and leaves quickly. He is quiet on the way out. As then gather he looks his companions in their eyes. "Aye, shall we assume that negotiations are over then? Do you know anything about this dragonborn's abilities? Is it time to attack?" He asks, clearly very nervous.

Mechanics

MOVE: none

ACTION: none

BONUS ACTION: none

REACTION: none

CONCENTRATION: none

OOC: none

Free 1 level bump whenever plus benefits of a long rest. Need to add arm stats

“Whatever we are going to do, it would be prudent to do it quickly. Perhaps those of you who are more stealthy can sneak closer. Or, I can just start throwing fire now. The element of surprise will not be ours for long, I don’t think.”