The Second Step

Ruess

Take Five. Take Two

You take the rest of today off.

You take the rest of today off. It doesn't remove the clinging cold that clings to you, but it helps a lot. It also helps that you have a mostly free run of the tavern if you wish to while time away there, and that they know where to point you if you have other aims.

You take the next day off as well.

You have things to move with some help from present company, and some new ideas on how your skills might come about. You also have a crystal dolphin to see to the repairs of, which proves to be its own project that takes up time and effort.

Then, since this person is something of an unknown, Roy asks you all to step a little way away, at some point between the second day's end and before the third day begins. Unless you violently resists, he requests to talk to you in the garden section under the shade of some trees, in the fresh air.

Roy

"Here is what I have been told by Varon and His Lordship, both of whom have been busy, but who isn't with all these going ons?

Firstly: image.png.05b8037471cd0ed6c060996ff6ce84ac.png Does the tern ''nomarch'' mean anything to you? Apparently our artist is a direct relative of a nomarch and has deep pockets as direct result

Roy clears his throat.

"Ninubkhuy Neferkare of House Ichtion is her name. She has a very lovely manor over at Water Plaza, which is a shit name for a ward larger than four city districts. I don't expect any of you have been there: it's where the rich and the powerful have their own water ways and water gardens and water parties and tea parties and dances under starlight, and they have armies at their beck and call too..."

Roy pauses for a steadying breath before he continues.

"People like us need an invitation to even get in... Or a friend like His Lordship, Lord Harm Mortton - who is free today, finally, unlike these past days from what Varon told me - to get us in. I know for a fact that Varon can arrange you in, if you prefer, and that His Lordship could add you temporarily under his presence.. Of course, if you prefer to do this entirely bu yourselves, you can go with a letter of credit-or-somesuch that tells the kneebreakers at the gates that you are good for the visit."

Another pause, to draw breath and to let you think the matter over.

"She knows to expect an art offer today. The sun is slowly rising in the horizon so we have ample time to draft a plan."

Finally finished talköing, Roy draws his deepest sigh yet and cricks his neck.

"What say you all?"

Knowledge Rolls Opportunities

Knowledge: Architecture and engineering: "How big of a deal is this Water Plaze? Big? Very Big?"

Knowledge: Arcana: "What are the odds that magic is involved? And if so, what kinds?"

Knowledge: Geography: "Water gardens? In this climate?"

Knowledge: Local: "What is Water Plaza like? Was it important?"

Knowledge: Nobility And Royalty: "What's a Nomarch again?"

Knowledge: Nobility And Royalty: "Who or what is House Ichtion?"

Knowledge: Nobility And Royalty: "How do you deal with nobility again? Which fork do you use at the dinner?"

RielatThird weekday, 30th49 days to a month, except Mesha is a day short of MeshaFirst month of the year, out of eight in total. 6:02 A.M

Sarai, Enchantress of the Veil

Sarai2.jpg.7e6c309d44573b0254d65bf50647ec9e.jpgFemale   Gray Elf   Enchanter 2  

Init 6 | HP 9/9 | AC 11, Touch 11, FF 9 | Fort 2, Ref 2, Will 1

The respite after such a stressful endeavor as theirs was welcome. They had established a presence in this part of town now, and acquired enough wealth from their escapades that Sarai could use the time to catch up on her studies without any distraction. That afternoon she would let the others handle the mundane supplies needed (ropes and such) while she sought out a very specific shop, one of an arcane nature.

With magic supplies in hand, she would return to the tavern and cloister herself into her chambers, poring over magic texts while she awaited word from Roy about their potential buyer. Repairing the figurine was more Elektra's specialty, and leaving the task to the dwarf priestess allowed Sarai to expand her spellcasting repertoire significantly. All in all, it was a productive day and a half.

On the third day she rose feeling refreshed from a good meditation despite the nagging fascination with what they'd seen in the art gallery below; she had pondered the significance of it and who might be responsible for its creation, but answers were fleeting. She would bring a light breakfast of fruit (locally sourced fresh produce, if possible, or standard dried fare) to the garden to listen to Roy's explanation, encouraged by what he had to say and the wealth of information he provided. She said nothing at first, thinking on some of the names he was throwing around while she awaited her companions' response.

Show Stats

Sarai

Init 6 | HP 9/9 | BAB 1 | Speed 30'

AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 9

Fortitude 2, Reflex 2, Will 1

Str 6, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 14

Condition Healthy

Shortbow (18/20 arrows) +2 (1d6-2, x3)
Dagger -2 (1d4-2, 19-20 x2)

Resources 
Potions: CLW (2), Parchment (4), Ink (1 vial), Sealing Wax (1 lb), Candles (10), Chalk (10), Twine (50'), Sparker (10), Trail Rations (8)

Money
51 g, 61 s, 13 c

Prepared Spells
0 Level:  Arcane Mark, Detect Magic, Daze, Mage Hand, Message
1st Level:  Charm Person, Friendly Face, Hypnotism, Mage Armor, Obscuring Mist

Zila

Hummingbird FamiliarZila.jpg.18423c5e24e41dc1fb7d851aa88856a3.jpg

Init 2 | HP 2/2 | Speed 10'/40' Fly (Average)

AC 17, Touch 16, Flat-footed 15

Fortitude 2, Reflex 4 Will 2

Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 6

Condition Healthy

Show Mechanics

Actions

Free Action:

Swift Action: 

Move Action: 

Standard Action: 

Purchase

Scroll: Color Spray (25g)

Continuing Effects: None

Edited by snugglepooh (see edit history)
Name
A&E (untrained), Arcana, Geography, Local (untrained), N&R x3
16; 16; 19; 25; 10; 17; 8
1d20+5; 1d20+10; 1d20+6; 1d20+5; 1d20+6; 1d20+6; 1d20+6 [11]; [11,6]; [11,6,13]; [11,6,13,20]; [11,6,13,20,4]; [11,6,13,20,4,11]; [11,6,13,20,4,11,2]

ShadeGaerbarradd (Shade) Whisper Gnome, Rogue 2 

AC: 18, HP: 12/12, Initiative: +4, Perception: +8, Search: +8

Str: 11 (+0), Dex: 18(+4), Con: 12 (+1), Int: 16 (+3), Wis: 13 (+1), Cha:13 (+1)

During their rest time, Shade inquires on where he could get an everburning torch and some alchemist fire. With that info he heads off to grab those items. The rest of the time he spends either relaxing at the tavern or out in the garden area doing stretches and practicing with his weapons.

He listens to Roy when he calls them into the garden.

If Elektra does not mind, he would like to be present when she uses magic to repair the dolphin. Something about the whole process intrigues him.

I think we should go in with Varon. He may be able to help us avoid making any errors that end up getting us either into a fight or thrown out of the place. I know I for one have not spent any time hob knobbing with royalty, so I don't know what is proper behavior and what is not. Would hate to mess up the deal due to some etiquette misunderstanding.

OOC

Edited by Draidden (see edit history)
Name
Untrained Knowledge checks
repeat(1d20+3,7) 12,7,14,20,1,14,16

Sister Elektra. Healer & Elementalist

spacer.pngQUICK STATS:  AC=18, Touch=12, FF=16 / HP=13/15 / Init=2 / Saves: Fort=4, Reflex=2, Will = 6 __________________________________________________________________________

Sister Elektra celebrates the party's recent success in the caverns below the City by eating and drinking heartily the first night back above ground in accordance with good family tradition.  Nonetheless, also in accordance with a 'higher' tradition, the Dwarven holy woman is up and awake before the first streaks of deep purple begin to paint the eastern sky.

Per usual, the Domain Priestess meditates, engages in martial exercises, tends to her living flora and, just as the sun begins to turn the sky orange, kneels in prayer to the gods for the renewal of her supernatural powers and divine abilities, which today includes among other things the needed 'mending' prayer to restore the broken dolphin.

DAY TWO

Since she is up before dawn, the Elementalist completes her ministrations and then eats a quick breakfast of hot oat gruel, fresh fruit, roasted nuts, with warm bread and butter, all washed down with fresh water.   After completing her respite which was in complete contrast to the night before, next the holy woman heads out into the town to do make some routine purchases, tagging along with any of her colleagues who are also going to go shopping as well.   

Returning to the inn for lunch, Sister Elektra waits until all of her colleagues are assembled for the common meal before broaching the topic of the broken dolphin knowing that some of her colleagues will want to witness the restoration attempt to magically fix the statue, saying as she eats, "I have prepared the necessary mending prayer to repair the dolphin statue, and a magical aura detection spell just in case the repaired item happens to exude such power."

"I would prefer to handle the task in the privacy of my room along with Sarai's help, but also invite any of the party to attend and even help," the minister adds with a sincere smile.  "Unless there are any objections, I plan to make the attempt right after lunch so that the piece of art will be ready for appraisal and sale as we have planned."

"Of course, if our ministrations determine its value is more than mere 'artsy-fartsy' then I'll let everyone know right away since that increases its worth and perhaps even what we want to do with it," the cleric adds with an honest smile.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

THE ATTEMPT WITH SARAI

As mentioned above, Sister Elektra, Sarai and anyone else who wants to attend, will attempt to restore the broken dolphin statue in the privacy of her rented room at the inn on the second day of their respite, using a Guidance cantrip, Mending prayer and, if successful, a Detect Magic prayer.  If the holy woman detects any magical auras, then she will concentrate on the item to determine the strengths, numbers and possibly even schools associated with such magical auras.  

Once the task is complete, then Elektra will bring word to anyone who had not attended the ceremony regarding the final results of her mending attempt and Sarai's magical detection machinations, as the holy woman spends the rest of the day as she normally would as she attends to common daily tasks, her prayers and meditations, and most especially the needs of his friends and the community at large.

________________________________________________________________________________________

DAY THREE

With the gang all back together again and the Priestess' powers and spells renewed a full, Sister Elektra relaxes under the shade of the large trees letting the fresh breeze cool her while she listens to the options being presented by Roy.  After listening to the innkeeper and considering the input of her colleagues, the Elementalist nods affirmatively when Shade favors utilizing Varon to gain access to the sector of the city where Ninubkhuy Neferkare of the House Ichtion, the potential buyer, lives.  

"I agree that, instead of unnecessarily bothering Lord Mortton directly with this matter at this time, or owing the noble a big favor for that matter while also hopefully preserving our ability to appeal to him for a favor in the future, I too believe we should have Varon arrange to get us in and have us added to the 'presence' of Sir Mortton as our way in and out," the Dwarven holy woman adds in a lowered voice with a sincere smile, "but I'm certainly not locked into stone, as it were."

Show Mechanics

PURCHASES: Cure Light Wounds Potion, Scroll (Comprehend Languages), Potion Bandolier, 2 Flasks of Acid, 3 Crossbow Bolts, Wand of Vigor, Lessor (4/50 charges) = 170 GP, 3 SP

Free Action:   

Move:  

Swift Action:   

Move Action:   

Standard Action:   Use Guidance Cantrip (+1 skill check), Use Mending Spell, Use Detect Magic Spell (and concentrate for more information) on Day Two (HOPEFULLY WITH SARAI's HELP)

Continuing Effects:  None

Edited by Terran (see edit history)
Name
Spellcraft
1d20+2 5
Spellcraft
1d20+2 10

Sarai would spare a few moments to join Elektra for the mending/identifying of the crystal dolphin, just in case they missed something while in the art gallery.

OOC

Detect Magic, Spellcraft, Knowledge arcana

Name
Spellcraft, Knowledge arcana
15; 25
1d20+9; 1d20+9 [6]; [6,16]

Take Five. Take Two

Roy

Roy nods at your answer.image.png.05b8037471cd0ed6c060996ff6ce84ac.png

"Right about now, Varon should be in a meeting with a few offiers of the City Watch. You can find their meeting at the end of Charpas District where they will be in... I want to say it is a tavern that was bought up by a local information broker called Shade Blue-something... But I don't know if it's been changed again. If you can't find it right awa, I know for certain it is on the same street as the Toll Bank and Richmond's Rich Silks."  Roy shrugs and sighs slowly.

"Varon should be... Er, actually I don't think he's ever happy, so I can't say he'll be happy to help. But he will agree to it, certainly. And he knows enough that he can coach you on a quick guidance on how to go about addressing someone high in the society. Gather around so I can draw you a quick map on how to get to Charpas District. It's a bit ways away."

Before you depart, Roy offers you the following parting words.

"Best of luck with the art sales. I expect I will be busy at the waterfront, so I imagine I will see you later at night."

Small Info Box

Roy draws you a map that's good enough to navigate by. It's a quick draw and not exactly too accurate but it'll get you where you need to go, through several districts by the look of it.

The dolphin has been fully restored. Elektra's magic was not enough to manage its restoration by herself; Sarai's presence was a helpful second opinion, and it allowed you to restore the dolphin... Not to its fullest state, you don't have the magic for that yet, but you did the majority of the work. Presently, you owe two artisans a total sum of a hundred gold. 

By your estimates, with substantial help from Shade who has spent substantial time investing his own learning, this dolphin is worth a lot.

Currently, your estimates start at two hundred gold and run up to double that.

RielatThird weekday, 30th49 days to a month, except Mesha is a day short of MeshaFirst month of the year, out of eight in total. 6:02 A.M

Str: 11 (+0), Dex: 18(+4), Con: 12 (+1), Int: 16 (+3), Wis: 13 (+1), Cha:13 (+1)

Shade pays close attention to Roy as he gives directions. He knows they have the map he drew, but if for some reason they lose it or get separated he wants to be able to find his way without it.

He is very pleased with the magical work done to repair the dolphin and hopes his estimate is correct on how much they can get for it. He carefully wraps it and places it into his pack.

So, who is ready to go fleece, uh.. I mean, make a deal with a rich art collector?

He checks to see if everyone is coming or just some of them. Once the group is ready he heads out with high hopes of making a good score. He will do his best to keep an eye out for trouble as they go. He knows some people relax when in heavily populated areas, figuring they are safe. But he knows that cities can be just as dangerous as any deep cave he has been in.

OOC

Sarai2.jpg.7e6c309d44573b0254d65bf50647ec9e.jpgFemale   Gray Elf   Enchanter 2  

Sarai would pause from nibbling on some berries. The name is not familiar, but this Water Plaza sounds like a very big deal, she says demurely and looks at Shade. We should be on our best behavior. She would beckon the gnome to join her where she stood with Elektra.

Before Elektra passes the sculpture, the enchantress would take a moment to cast Arcane markArcane Mark
(Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 201)

Universal
Level: Sorcerer 0, Wizard 0, Wu Jen 0, Death Master 0, Sha'ir 0, Court Herald 0,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 0 ft.
Effect: One personal rune or mark, all of which must fit within 1 sq. ft.
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell allows you to inscribe your personal rune or mark, which can consist of no more than six characters.
The writing can be visible or invisible.
An arcane mark spell enables you to etch the rune upon any substance (even stone or metal) without harm to the material upon which it is placed.
If an invisible mark is made, a detect magic spell causes it to glow and be visible, though not necessarily understandable.
See invisibility, true seeing, a gem of seeing, or a robe of eyes likewise allows the user to see an invisible arcane mark.
A read magic spell reveals the words, if any.
The mark cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed by the caster or by an erase spell.
If an arcane mark is placed on a living being, normal wear gradually causes the effect to fade in about a month.
Arcane mark must be cast on an object prior to casting Drawmij's instant summons on the same object (see that spell description for details).
, inscribing a rune that was a combination of things: part Moonveil sigil, part Stoneshoulder Clan insignia, the two characters intertwined artistically to create a new hieroglyph signifying the piece as a product of the duo's workmanship. There, perhaps some day that will be worth something, she smiles warmly and passes the enchanted, crystal cetacean back to her partner delicately.

From there, she would finish her breakfast while thanking Roy for his efforts. You've been instrumental in our success, Roy. When this is done, and we discover Durnan's fate, we're going to make sure you get the recognition you deserve.

As their departure drew near, she would gather up her things, calling Zila back from her own meanderings. Let's go see what Varon has to say, she says with a smile for the tiny bird.

Show Stats

Sarai

Condition Healthy

Resources 
Potions: CLW (2), Parchment (4), Ink (1 vial), Sealing Wax (1 lb), Candles (10), Chalk (10), Twine (50'), Sparker (10), Trail Rations (8)

Money
51 g, 61 s, 13 c

Prepared Spells
0 Level:  Detect Magic, Daze, Mage Hand, Message

Zila

Condition Healthy

Show Mechanics

Actions

Free Action:

Swift Action: 

Move Action: 

Standard Action: 

Skill Checks

spacer.png Macsen Mistwalker

AC: 15, Touch: 12, Flat-footed: 13, HP: 8/8, Initiative: +2, Saves: Fort: +2 Reflex: +4 Will: +1

Listening to Roy, Macsen takes note of everything explained to them.

"Thanks Roy for the help. I agree with Sarai you've been a massive support."

Ensuring he is smartly dressed and looking the part, Macsen joins the rest ready to set out and meet the art dealer.

Skold

Crusader half orc.webpSkold - Crusader

HP: 12/12 | Init: +0 | AC: 16 Touch: 10 FF: 16 | Fort: +5 Reflex: +0 Will: +1 |

Stance: Martial Spirit | Maneuvers | Steely Resolve 0/5

After a couple days getting better acquainted with the town and obtaining the mundane gear that would help them in their next step, the idea of stepping up into the richer circles was certainly going to be a change of scenery. "I'm not the best with rich sorts. My folks had the better gift of the gab, but I can smile and nod with the best of 'em. Let's give this a shot."

Skold didn't have much in the way of 'proper attire', but he had simple enough clothing that was inoffensive and in good condition. In his experience, a stern look and his build often convinced a wayward eye to not linger. Hopefully that would make him invisible enough from any derisive attention.

spacer.pngQUICK STATS:  AC=18, Touch=12, FF=16 / HP=15/15 / Init=2 / Saves: Fort=4, Reflex=2, Will = 6 __________________________________________________________________________

Sister Elektra nods at Sarai when, thanks to her invaluable assistance, the pair are able to mostly restore the broken dolphin to its original state, thus saving the party quite a bit of money in overall repair costs and allowing a couple of experts to fine tune the statue to its nearly original state.

When Roy gives the party a heads up on the in's and out's about various individuals with whom the group needed to meet and engage in business, as well as the map to the location of Varon who is currently meeting with leaders of the City Watch, the Elemental Priestess smiles and adds, "Yes, Roy, I too greatly appreciate your help and assistance!"

After several of her colleagues mention heading out to find Lord Varon, Elektra nods her head in the affirmative and concludes, "I agree. Let's go find the fellow while we still have a good idea of his location and before he concludes his business and moves on."

With that being said, the holy woman downs the last of her mug of ale, stands, double-checks her equipment and then begins to head out of the door of the inn knowing that her longer legged companions would soon be in the lead anyway.

Show Mechanics

PURCHASES: Cure Light Wounds Potion, Scroll (Comprehend Languages), Potion Bandolier, 2 Flasks of Acid, 3 Crossbow Bolts, Wand of Vigor, Lessor (4/50 charges) = 170 GP, 3 SP

Free Action:   

Move:  

Swift Action:   

Move Action:   

Standard Action:  

The Streets

You depart Armour Chapel. It proves easy to do: City Watch has apparently heard enough of you that the local Watch members on duty wave you through the checkpoints without more than cursory glances and a confirmation that you are who you declare yourselves to be.

Outside Armour Chapel's peaceful presence the hustble and bustle of a large city are what you would expect: people coming and going, some adventurous sorts looking like trouble headed somewhere, thugs and punks avoiding the attention of the City Watch... and a full company of mercenaries marching to where you are fairly certain at least one arcane complex looks to be at.

The Charpas District

It is at Charpas District that the trouble rears its ugly head in your direction.

The bank you find easily enough: its ostentatious white marble form sticks out amond the other sandstone buildings with all the grace of a broken leg. And that is before you comment on the green fences and the gold-ennameled fountain right on their modestly sized front lawn. You can see a large gathering of men and women bearing the Sandpyke's sigil presently storming the building... And it looks like the bank's own security is taking that as an invitation to start trouble.

Richmond's Rich Silks is just as easy enough to also find: it has a large sign above the entrance declaring what it is, accompanied by another sight almost as large wherein the business boasts an elaborate lineage of days and owners. You would need someone of artisanal or merchantile background to comment on that.

To your dismay, there seems to be a cordon of City Watch troopers here by the street you were taking. There's a rather large crowd here, all of whom sound like they want to have a close look at the violence taking place at the bank. You will need to either go around them or go through them. You have some options...but you also have limited time.. What to do...?

Small Info Box

Imagine a typical intersection of three roads. Imagine it fits three carts side by side, and a sidewalk on both edges as well.

One road arrives from South. One road arrives from North. One road arrives from East.

You arrived from the North Road. You have business over at East Road.

City Watch Cordon is barring the crowd.

You can ask the DM if you draw short on ideas.

RielatThird weekday, 30th49 days to a month, except Mesha is a day short of MeshaFirst month of the year, out of eight in total. 8:02 A.M

Edited by Ruess (see edit history)

Shade looks for an alley or smaller side road that will lead the east so they can try to go around this mess. He is not sure why the town watch seem to be willing to stand back and watch what looks like a mass bank robbery, but that is not his business. If he can find as side passage he will direct the others to it. He figures if they manage to go over a block or two, they can then cut south and reach the east street. Normally he would try to vanish in the shadows or among all the tall people, but considering he wants his friends to follow him, he fights that instinct.

OOC

Veluna.jpg.f367ff00df46559b8526458567075889.jpgFemale   Gray Elf   Enchanter 2  

The walk through the city was just what Sarai needed after being shut in her room for most of the previous two days, and that after being underground for parts of several others.

Stay close, she says to little Zila. Normally one might see the hummingbird exploring all the landscape had to offer, sipping on any nectar producing desert flowers that might be a part of it, and generally keeping an eye out for possible dangers, but today the enchantress wished to focus on the task at hand. There would be plenty of time for more exploring after the figurine was sold.

She did enjoy the city life, with its diversity of people and cultures, in a vastly different way than her own homeland. Here she could find different perspectives on a lot of things -- and so it was that she pondered on who she might find who might know anything about the mirrors when they came upon the bank, which at present seemed to be being stormed by some of Sandpyke's finest. Remind me not to deposit my money there, she quipped, then turned to Zila with a nod. The familiar zipped off somewhere, possibly above the crowd.

Sarai turned to the others just as Shade slipped off into the crowd. She gazed after him with a strange look as she spoke to the rest of her companions. Varon is supposed to be behind this picket line, I suppose. Let us see if we can get one of the guards here to get a message through, she waves her hand indicating the cordon of City Watch troopers. Maybe there's an officer about.

Show Stats

Sarai

Condition Healthy

Resources 

Money
51 g, 61 s, 13 c

Prepared Spells
0 Level:  Detect Magic, Daze, Mage Hand, Message

Zila

Condition Healthy

Show Mechanics

Actions

Free Action:

Swift Action: 

Move Action: 

Standard Action: 

Skill Checks

Perception

Name
Sarai
1d20+1 11
Zila
1d20+12 8

spacer.pngQUICK STATS:  AC=18, Touch=12, FF=16 / HP=15/15 / Init=2 / Saves: Fort=4, Reflex=2, Will = 6 _______________________________________________________________________

The hustle and bustle, noise and smell of the crowded streets with folks moving every which way reminded Sister Elektra why she disliked cities in general, especially as compared to a good underground mine.  

Bah, even the forest is better than this place, the Dwarven Priestess thinks to herself as she wishes she was back at the inn enjoying a nice cold brew.  Then an ongoing bank robbery in progress which is being ignored by nearly everyone around merely confirms her private gripes. 

Neither was Elektra interested in silks and the fancy store which sold them at exorbitant prices to exclusive clientele only made the holy woman grumpier.  And, then when she saw that the City Watch had sealed off the very area in which the party needed to go, the minister's mood only worsened.

However, when Shade sneaks off from the group for some undisclosed purpose and Sarai starts trying to wave down an officer of the watch, Sister Elektra now really wishes she had stayed behind at the bar drinking as the Dwarven woman's true mood is clearly revealed by the scowl painted upon her face.

Show Mechanics

Free Action:   

Move:  

Swift Action:   

Move Action:   

Standard Action: