The Second Step

Ruess

Sarai, Enchantress of the Veil

Veluna.jpg.f367ff00df46559b8526458567075889.jpgFemale   Gray Elf   Enchanter 2  

Init 6 | HP 9/9 | AC 11, Touch 11, FF 9 | Fort 2, Ref 2, Will 1

Sarai steps quickly when they're waved through the barricade, staying close on Lady Emberings heels, nodding as she preaches about the rabble. We were not expecting any fuss at the bank like this. I wonder what is going on.

Upon reaching the six and seeing Varon is among them, Sarai smiles in satisfaction. Ah, Varon! Roy told us we would find you here.  She would pause for his response, then observe the other five of the six while her companions made their greetings, mumbling something under her breath, but listening in case anyone had more information to offer before giving Varon her own explanation of things.

We have a meeting with Lady Neferkare of House Ichtion regarding an exquisite sculpture which might interest her. She is expecting us. We're told you can help get us into Water Plaza to meet with her.

Show Stats

Sarai

Init 6 | HP 9/9 | BAB 1 | Speed 30'

AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 9

Fortitude 2, Reflex 2, Will 1

Str 6, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 14

Condition Healthy

Shortbow (18/20 arrows) +2 (1d6-2, x3)
Dagger -2 (1d4-2, 19-20 x2)

Resources 
Potions: CLW (2), Parchment (4), Ink (1 vial), Sealing Wax (1 lb), Candles (10), Chalk (10), Twine (50'), Sparker (10), Trail Rations (8)

Money
51 g, 61 s, 13 c

Prepared Spells
0 Level:  Detect Magic, Daze, Mage Hand
1st Level:  Charm Person, Hypnotism, Mage Armor, Obscuring Mist

Zila

Hummingbird FamiliarZila.jpg.18423c5e24e41dc1fb7d851aa88856a3.jpg

Init 2 | HP 2/2 | Speed 10'/40' Fly (Average)

AC 17, Touch 16, Flat-footed 15

Fortitude 2, Reflex 4 Will 2

Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 6

Condition Healthy

Show Mechanics

Actions

Free Action:

Swift Action: 

Move Action: 

Standard Action: Cast Friendly Face (CL2) then Message (CL1) targeting the Lady Emberings

Skill Checks

Continuing Effects: Friendly Face, Message

ShadeGaerbarradd (Shade) Whisper Gnome, Rogue 2 

AC: 18, HP: 12/12, Initiative: +4, Perception: +8, Search: +8

Str: 11 (+0), Dex: 18(+4), Con: 12 (+1), Int: 16 (+3), Wis: 13 (+1), Cha:13 (+1)

Shade heads for the back door to the tavern.

Let's check inside and see if Veron is there. If not we can either take seat near a window or head out front to wait for the rest of the group.

OOC

Edited by Draidden (see edit history)

Sister Elektra. Healer & Elementalist

spacer.pngQUICK STATS:  AC=18, Touch=12, FF=16 / HP=15/15 / Init=2 / Saves: Fort=4, Reflex=2, Will = 6 _______________________________________________________________________

Sister Elektra does her best to stay up with Shade as the pair move to and fro through crowds, back alleys, private gardens and other discrete paths, but the worst part of the entire trip was the damn walls they had to climb and go over, which was no 'small' task for a stumpy-legged Dwarf in scale mail armor.

Panting when they finally make it over the last wall and reach the back courtyard near the tavern, the holy woman holds up her hand to momentarily catch her breath and then points out the pair of thugs nearby who are guarding a big crate.

Whispering, the cleric says, "I agree.  Varron isn't here. Either the meeting is over or it never got started.  But no use starting trouble the way I see it."

Considering the matter for the moment, the Elemental Priestess stops Shade before he reveals himself and says, "I think the place is closed.  I don't see any help other than the pair of bouncers."  

Then she adds, "I suggest we enter openly and simply make inquiry if Varron has been here and, if so, where he might have gone," the minister adds with a sincere smile.

"If, however, we're asked why we need to see Varron, I guess we could say we have a private message for him which is true in part, unless you have a better half-truth than that," she adds in the same hushed tone of voice while looking to make sure Zila is still with them.  

"If pushed for more information, then I can say its from the church hierarchy," she suggests.

"Thoughts?"

Show Mechanics

PURCHASES: Cure Light Wounds Potion, Scroll (Comprehend Languages), Potion Bandolier, 2 Flasks of Acid, 3 Crossbow Bolts, Wand of Vigor, Lessor (4/50 charges) = 170 GP, 3 SP

Free Action:   

Move:  

Swift Action:   

Move Action:   

Standard Action:  

Continuing Effects:  None

Edited by Terran (see edit history)

Str: 11 (+0), Dex: 18(+4), Con: 12 (+1), Int: 16 (+3), Wis: 13 (+1), Cha:13 (+1)

I don't think those are bouncers. I think they are guarding that crate. Let's see if we can go in through this back door. If not we can circle around to the front.

If they ask why we want to see him, just say personal business. After all, it is none of their business anyway.

He will continue to the back door and see if he can get into the tavern that way.

OOC

spacer.pngQUICK STATS:  AC=18, Touch=12, FF=16 / HP=15/15 / Init=2 / Saves: Fort=4, Reflex=2, Will = 6 _______________________________________________________________________

Sister Elektra nods her head in agreement with the idea of simply going in and asking for Varron, however the holy woman is a little surprised that Shade wants to use the back door of the place instead of the common front door.

Whispering, the Dwarven holy woman asks, "Do you think that's a common door used by the public? It might lead into the kitchen," the Elemental Priestess adds with a sincere smile.

"Perhaps, after you peek inside and if you find out it's not a public entrance, then I suggest we simply walk in the front door of the inn as is normally done by most folks in order to avoid drawing any undue attention to ourselves," she proposes.

Hanging back and remaining out of sight, Sister Elektra will watch Shade's rear flank while the Whisper Gnome plies his trade and moves to gather some intel, whispering, "Good luck," as he moves in.

Show Mechanics

PURCHASES: Cure Light Wounds Potion, Scroll (Comprehend Languages), Potion Bandolier, 2 Flasks of Acid, 3 Crossbow Bolts, Wand of Vigor, Lessor (4/50 charges) = 170 GP, 3 SP

Free Action:   

Move:  

Swift Action:   

Move Action:   

Standard Action:  

Skold

Crusader half orc.webpSkold - Crusader

HP: 12/12 | Init: +0 | AC: 16 Touch: 10 FF: 16 | Fort: +5 Reflex: +0 Will: +1 |

Stance: Martial Spirit | Maneuvers | Steely Resolve 0/5

Upon being introduced to the group awaiting them, Skold on instinct gave little more than a professional nod of acknowledgement at first. He was often the man behind those doing the talking and knew when to not interfere, as well as needing to stay alert for anything that might compromise the meeting given the battle happening just across the street. He eased up on that count, however. When you're standing across from another guard equipped in a variety of magical equipment, you can't help but feel more confident in the security of their position. The best money could buy, he imagined while considering the man wearing his wealth lavishly.

With defense against danger at a satisfying level for now, he couldn't help but be drawn to the hooded three kept restless presumably by the activity within the bank. He looked back up at the mountain of a man they were hiding behind and cracked a small smile. "Exciting day for the kids, huh?" From one professional to another, Skold knew sometimes the people who hired you could be a lot of work. A little joke to keep a man sane could do wonders. Maybe even a fast friend.

spacer.png Macsen Mistwalker

AC: 15, Touch: 12, Flat-footed: 13, HP: 8/8, Initiative: +2, Saves: Fort: +2 Reflex: +4 Will: +1

As the group move past the guard, following the coattails of the Lady Emberings, Macsen gives an approving nod at the captain in thanks despite the awkward situation. Approaching the part of 6, Macsen is pleased to see a familiar figure of Varon.

"Good to see you Varon, what manner of chaos has happened here?"

Macsen takes the opportunity to study the rest of his party, certainly an intriguing group of individuals.

"As discussed, we have business that you may be able to help us with."

Edited by Slayer4399 (see edit history)

Deeds And Words

Sarai, Skold and Macsen

Varon manages to turn to your group and draws the attention of the young man beside him. The three scarf-wearers all turn as one, excepting that where Varon slowly turns his head, the three (are they men? You want to say yes but their eyes are wrong) move in a synchronized wave-like motion as one to face your group.

Lady Emberings meanwhile adjusts her gown visibly, eyeiong the group over as she huffs for a moment. She is positively bristling.

"Officers!" Lady Embering starts, on the verge of shouting. "I have an imporant meeting in that very bank, to begin at this very hour! By what right are you holding a noble lady like myself behind a cordon of arms and insisting that I cannot proceed!?"

image.jpeg.aeeea7d45571f7f0db29521b1417096d.jpeg

"Madness," answers one of the Scarves in a sibilant voice. Although the voice is that of a man, it has the weight of pronounciation on all the wrong syllables, and comes across as far more hissed than proper spoken language should. "Madness and treason."

image.jpeg.6421f327c40a4430c72cb53fb61438fa.jpeg

"A banker with purple eyes and purple light in his hands," adds another Scarf, sounding enthused, and dare you say it, amused? "Screaming of gods in his ears. Of destiny unveiled through the light. And of a golden crown."

VKAkopio.png.bf19c72a1221f9d9fa704ac6f179c6b2.png

Varon looks to address the largest person in armor, but pauses to eye Skold at the orc's words. In his hands, you see that Varon holds a large tome that looks rather old. It's an otherwise unimpressive looking leather book bound with a small chain to keep it closed. "It is excitement we could have done without. Captain Gnarl: in accordance with the the law in its spirit and its letter, we the witnesses at the scene find that you are correct and that the situation cannot be handled through civil words." Varon indicates with a hand at Lady Embering as he speaks the next part: "To preserve life and to restore order, now with a noble in our presence whose life is in danger and hindered by the disorder in the bank, we empower you with all emergency powers that are necessary to restore order."

"Osiris keep you, Captain"image.jpeg.fc5eb7c12efcbd3eb100fc54edda32ff.jpeg, bids the young man in finery. HIs voice is dry, a touch ethereal as well. By his dress he is ready for a Pharaonic court meeting, rather than whatever business he has on a street like this. He hass the usual trappings of high society but wears nothing to identify his allegiance or his associations. At least, you don't see anything too obvious as it stands.

The armored figured - Captain Gnarl as you heard being declared - wastes no time and charges in the direction of the bank.

The three Scarves offer a court bow to Lady Emberings.

image.jpeg.69c3126ce80d956c25a2f642dfb18bf1.jpeg

"We go now, Lady of Embers. May your gold be worth their blood."

And then they are off, all four of them, rushing to join that violent fray.

There is a moment of silence. Varon takes it to look you all over.

VKAkopio.png.bf19c72a1221f9d9fa704ac6f179c6b2.png"It is unfortunate that you had to witness Toll Bank in its current state. As you saw, we were forced to call upon a Watch Captain due to the severity of the matter." Lady Emberings looks thoroughly unhappy to hear this.

"So you're saying I wasted my entire morning coming here only to find that the bank is closed. For how long is this going to last?"

"I do not know, My Lady. We can only promise to share news once the matter is-"

Varon is interrupted by Lady Embering more or less walking away in an irritated huff muttering rather rude things. Varon doesn't continue speaking until she is out of immediate hearing, whereupon he does continue, albeit with difrerent words addressed to you three:

"Greetings. It is unfortunate that we must meet under these circumstances. To answer your question, Toll Bank's personnel have lost their senses. We will know more once the matter is resolved, most likely through force. But, for right now: I am given to understand you possess an exceptional art piece?"

Varon and the unnamed man look to you for your reactions.

Shade and Elektra

Shade has an easy time skulking across the yard. The two persons by the crate as too far and too busy with their own business to notice a single gnome making his way across the yard, all the way to the surprisingly large door. A small bit of examination reveals that the mechanism is a very simple door handle with nothing in the mechanism indicating that there is either a lock or a trap.

Thus, Shade is able to have an informative look inside.

The interior of the tavern is that of an unkempt and very low-class tavern. The floor is stained, the illumination is mostly from outdoor sunlight and a few lanterns, the tables are made of stained wood, the chairs are uncomfortable looking stools, the air smells somewhat musty and dusty... At the same time, there is a very clean looking separate bar area far from the backdoor, and that it is taking up an entire section of the tavern.. There is an orc behind the bar desk currently wiping some glasses with a rag. He looks like he doesn't smile too often, and by the grim look of him he is not a very happy personality. It looks like he is the only person inside the whole building. It is completely silent inside.

Shade can see that the front door is directly opposite the backdoor, and that the back entrance is in fact much larger than the plain looking front entrance.

At one of the corners of the tavern there is a somewhat askew looking set of stairs that look like they will lead upstairs.

What next?

RielatThird weekday, 30th49 days to a month, except Mesha is a day short of MeshaFirst month of the year, out of eight in total. 8:04 A.M

Shade turns around and motions for Elektra to join him.

He is not here. What say we go out the front door and wait for him out there?

He head for the front door. He keeps an eye on the bartender, but is hoping that he won't cause any trouble.

OOC

Sister Elektra politely says in response with a sincere smile, "The place looks empty of customers and the meeting Varron was supposed to attend which was scheduled to start earlier in the day is either over or did not occur at all."

"Furthermore, it would be illogical to assume that Varron and all the rest of the individuals who were supposed to attend the meeting, including those associated with the Watch, were each separately delayed from attending and that not a single person showed up," the Dwarven Priestess adds.

"Frankly, I don't think Varron is showing back up here any time soon, but to be sure I can always just ask," the holy woman adds with a smile. "The worst anyone can do is refuse to answer and ask me to leave," she says.

Glancing at Zila and noting that her good friend's familiar is still with them and acting normally which indicates that Sarai is not having any trouble, Sister Elektra takes matters in her own hand and concludes out loud, "I'm going to go ask."

"After all, we have not done anything wrong, our request is proper and normal, and if we do have to wait, then I'm doing with an ale in my hand instead of sitting out here," she decides.

Marching into the nearly empty bar, the Elemental Priestess approaches the bartender and asks with a smile, "You guys closed, or can I get an ale?"

Show Mechanics

Free Action:   

Move:  

Swift Action:   

Move Action:   

Standard Action:  

Sarai stands by quietly while Varon discusses the security matter with Captain Osiris. She notes the odd tone and inflection when one of the scarves speaks and pays particularly close attention to the description of the strange banker.

She also notes the unusual look of Varon's cohort when he bids the Captain farewell. The more time they spent in this city, the more interesting the folks they encountered.

When Varon finally addresses them, she gives Macsen a look before offering her reply. Yes, well, the sculpture is with our associates at the moment. She looks back at their contact. They've gone ahead to the meeting point at the tavern on this street.. or at least where we were told your meeting was taking place.

Show Stats

Sarai

Condition Healthy

Resources 
Potions: CLW (2), Parchment (4), Ink (1 vial), Sealing Wax (1 lb), Candles (10), Chalk (10), Twine (50'), Sparker (10), Trail Rations (8)

Money
51 g, 61 s, 13 c

Prepared Spells

Zila

Condition Healthy

Show Mechanics

Actions

Free Action:

Swift Action: 

Move Action: 

Standard Action: 

Skill Checks

Knowledge checks to identify the six

Continuing Effects: Friendly Face, Message

Name
Arcana, Religion, The Planes, Nobility, Geography
SyntaxError: Unexpected token ,
1d20+10, 1d20+6, 1d20+7, 1d20+6, 1d20+6
Arcana, Religion, The Planes, Nobility, Geography
24; 21; 16; 22; 13
1d20+10; 1d20+6; 1d20+7; 1d20+6; 1d20+6 [14]; [14,15]; [14,15,9]; [14,15,9,16]; [14,15,9,16,7]

Skold

Crusader half orc.webpSkold - Crusader

HP: 12/12 | Init: +0 | AC: 16 Touch: 10 FF: 16 | Fort: +5 Reflex: +0 Will: +1 |

Stance: Martial Spirit | Maneuvers | Steely Resolve 0/5

It would seem that humour may not have been the best course of action. The Watch may well have been on the scene and controlled it enough to keep the public at bay, but the scale of events still demanded serious attention, and Skold had gotten too comfortable to consider that.

It was done now, no use beating himself up over it, but he reaffirmed his stance and remained conscious of how Varon continued with their business without moving away from the battlefield. Vardon needed to stay in the know, perhaps, which also meant his time was valuable. Skold's old commander had been of a similar hue.

"We could go fetch them." He offered, sparing a side glance towards the bank in understanding of its importance. "If you need to see the piece, that is."

Edited by Lord of Monies (see edit history)

spacer.png Macsen Mistwalker

AC: 15, Touch: 12, Flat-footed: 13, HP: 8/8, Initiative: +2, Saves: Fort: +2 Reflex: +4 Will: +1

LIstening intently to what Varon and the others have to say, Macsen is curious about these bank tellers and glowing hands. A very strange occurrence.

As Varon broaches the question of the statue, Macsen nods along in agreement as Sarai explains the situation.

"Is there anything we should know before the meeting? It would be good to make sure we can start the exchange with a bit of insider knowledge of the individual"

Deeds And Words

Sarai, Skold and Macsen

VKAkopio.png.bf19c72a1221f9d9fa704ac6f179c6b2.png"Yes. We must see to our meeting. But before that, formalities." Varon indicates at the man who is still calmly looking at the three of yo "Lady and gentlemen, I present to you: an associate from some time back, Ewdyn of Storm Hollow. Edwyn, meet a group of recent associates who are involving themselves in resolving a matter with Yawning Pit: Sarai, Macsen and Skold. "

The man now named Edwyn, offers you a small smile as each of you is indicated.

"Good morning," is all her offers you before Varon continues, voice still calm and still as though there weren't a thoroughly violent and riotous battle going on within a stone's throw of you.

"Edwyn, thank you for your time. We will not hold you further. "

Edwyn offers a smile just like moment before. "Osiris keep you.," the man offers as parting words.

To you three, Varon then addresses: "Follow me please. I promise an answer to every question and to address the matter, but not here on the street. We have a meeting at a more secure location." Varon indicates at a tavern on the opposite side of the street, some hundred feet away. "The Bent Copper. The owner expected us there but this matter with bank is an unwelcome delay."

Shade and Elektra

BentCopperBarBrawler.jpg.78e894291fe7b54d2220325aae6d3408.jpg"Eh?" The orc behind the counter pauses his work to look up at hearing Elektra's voice. His eyes are sharp and so is the first glance he throws at her, laden with annoyance that is mirrored by his sharp features, but that melts into full focus once he takes in Elektra's accruements, her general air and her vestments of faith. The orc's eyes then flick from Elektra's form by the bar to Shade, who is walking to the front door, and then return to consider Elektra's form soe more, visibly looking her from head to toes. A long breath is drawn through teeth and fangs.

"Yeah... We got ale. Three coppers," answers this orc, setting the glass down with a slowness that mirrors the slow enunciation he speaks Common with. "That guy with you?" he then asks, and nods in Shade's direction, and looks back to Elektra. "You two look like you're here for the Boss. Or that bald guy."

RielatThird weekday, 30th49 days to a month, except Mesha is a day short of MeshaFirst month of the year, out of eight in total. 8:04 A.M

Sarai greets Edwyn in Elven, a nod of acknowledgement accompanying a graceful smile.

Le suilon!

She had been curious about the man's odd appearance, wondering if it was an effect of a spell or perhaps his natural state and he was of extraplanar origin. She watches him as he departs, then turns her attention to scanning the bank, looking for the security detail Varon had just sent in.

She would turn then and nod to Varon, after you, sir, and fall in behind him as they head to the Bent Copper.

Show Stats

Sarai

Condition Healthy

Resources 

Money
51 g, 61 s, 13 c

Prepared Spells

Zila

Condition Healthy

Show Mechanics

Actions

Free Action:

Swift Action: 

Move Action: 

Standard Action: 

Skill Checks

Sense Motive, Perception

Continuing Effects: Friendly Face

Edited by snugglepooh (see edit history)
Name
Sense Motive
1d20+3 12
Perception
1d20+1 8