The Second Step

Ruess

Doallyn McClare / Royal Tactician & Conjurer 

jensen-ackles-early-twenties-short-black-hair-black-goatee-facial-hair-black-military-uniform--766090635-fotor-bg-remover-20240420153430.png.be4848e3028270494c20b4c60888f036.png

Male - Human Noble - Neutral Good

Wizard (Conjurer) 1 / Duskblade 1

Initiative + 1 / Hit Points: 13 / Speed: 30ft

Armor Class: 14 / Touch: 11 / Flat-Footed: 13

Will + 5 / Reflex +1 / Fortitude +3

Doallyn adjusted his stance again as he felt a wave of discomfort through his body. Doing his best to hide the grimace that washed over his expression. He glanced over as Skold went to speak with a guard before returning it back to Sarai as she spoke.

I would wish to prevent any additional trauma to befall this house. I do not have all the details, but given current information I can not help but feel my grandfather's interaction may have spurred this attack. If his research may have caught the attention of this Evening Glory. And given his business dealings, they wished to end anyone that may have information related back to it.

He squeezed Racanna's hand, his tone shifted from the more dignified and noble bearing for a moment. The mask of a patrician slipping, to reveal nothing more than a man. Angry and wounded. It was not just a matter of them coming after him, but after Racanna. Of taking out house staffers. Innocents.

I also now have a matter of personal honor to find these villains and return the favor tenfold upon them.

The next words cut the air like blades.

Swift. Painful. No Quarter.

Doallyn caught himself a bit and cleared his throat, attempting to regain his poise.

However given the situation, going after these wretches alone is not something I can hope to do. Nor is Racanna likely to be in a situation to assist me in a physical capacity for some time.

Doallyn McClare

Character Sheet

Male Neutral Good  Human Wizard,

Init +1 

HP: 13/13

Speed: 30

AC: 14

Touch: 11 / Flat-footed: 13

Fort +3 / Ref +1 / Will +5

Base Attack Bonus: +1

Abilities: Str 10, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 17, Wis 12, Cha 14

Spellbook

Wizard Spells Per Day: 

Cantrips - 3 

Message | Message | Open/Close

1st Level - 2 (1 + Intelligence Bonus Spell ) 

Spell Save DC:  10 + Spell Level + Intelligence Modifier (+3)Conjuration Spells +1     

Summon Monster | Summoner Monster

Duskblade Spells Per Day:

Cantrips - 4

Detect Magic | Read Magic | Detect Magic | Read Magic

1st Level - 2

Blade of Blood | Resist Energy

Spell Like Abilities: 6

(Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Flare, Ghost Sound, Read Magic)

Edited by ArcaneDesperado (see edit history)

Sarai, Enchantress of the Veil

Female   Gray Elf   Enchanter 2  

Init 6 | HP 9/9 | AC 11, Touch 11, FF 9 | Fort 2, Ref 2, Will 1

Sarai2.jpg.7e6c309d44573b0254d65bf50647ec9e.jpg

You wish to exact vengeance on the malcontents, Sarai looks back at Doallyn, and you want .. or need .. our help. It was less of a question, an appreciative smile slowly spreading across her face as she speaks. Her eyes would narrow just a bit as she examines him, maybe even quirks a brow appraisingly before sighing and looking away. I suppose justice must be served in some form.

She would glance at Skold talking to the guards. The tension in the air was palpable. The shadow of Evening Glory was spreading through these halls like a disease.

We should be concerned with the Lady's safety first, if we're to do anything about this, she then says, turning to Elektra. She would not want so much death in her own household, but I'm afraid she may have lost control of the situation.

Show Stats

Sarai

Init 6 | HP 9/9 | BAB 1 | Speed 30'

AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 9

Fortitude 2, Reflex 2, Will 1

Str 6, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 14

Condition Healthy

Shortbow (18/20 arrows) +2 (1d6-2, x3)
Dagger -2 (1d4-2, 19-20 x2)

Resources 
Potions: CLW (2), Parchment (4), Ink (1 vial), Sealing Wax (1 lb), Candles (10), Chalk (10), Twine (50'), Sparker (10), Trail Rations (8)

Money
51 g, 61 s, 13 c

Prepared Spells
0 Level:  Detect Magic, Daze, Mage Hand
1st Level:  Charm Person, Hypnotism, Mage Armor, Obscuring Mist

Zila

Hummingbird FamiliarZila.jpg.18423c5e24e41dc1fb7d851aa88856a3.jpg

Init 2 | HP 2/2 | Speed 10'/40' Fly (Average)

AC 17, Touch 16, Flat-footed 15

Fortitude 2, Reflex 4 Will 2

Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 6

Condition Healthy

Show Mechanics

Actions

Free Action:

Swift Action: 

Move Action: 

Standard Action: 

Skill Checks

Knowledge: Arcana, The Planes

Continuing Effects: 

Edited by snugglepooh (see edit history)
Name
Arcana
1d20+10 9
The Planes
1d20+7 20

In The Shade

VKAkopio.png.bf19c72a1221f9d9fa704ac6f179c6b2.png"Another unwelcome development. This is becoming a pattern..." Varon muses aloud, not addressing it to anyone in particular. At Sarai's look, Varon turns his head to address Sarai properly ss he continues: "The lady of the house is the only remaining authority in the household whom the emissaries cannot gainsay. We would require a noble peer to challenge the emissariers on their action. As Lord McClare mentions, a widow is expect to hold a period of mourning. We would need to challenge the emissaries, which is a matter of societal graces that, if you will pardon the phrasing, is as much a duel with words as it would be with weapons. We would have only one attempt. And the emissaries will doubtlessly have established their favor with the lady already. The castellan or the captain of the house guard may be willing to hear our argument if we pursue this path."

Varon pauses to let you consider his words beore he continues in a more quiet voice. "If Sarai is correct and Lady Neferkare turns to undeath as a solution, that would bode darkly given the unrest in the tombs. I will not believe that it is a coincidence."

Translating Varon's Meaning

So what it boils down to is this: you can claim the emissaries are in violation of societal protocol. It will be your social skills rolls against theirs. And the party presents a better case to the third party, who Varon recommends as being either the Castellan or The Captain Of The House Guard, has their way.

If you make a better case, the emissaries are forced to acknowledge their error or they lose face, and potentially face more consequencess.

If you don't manage, you won't get a second try and the emissaries continue unhindered.

This is not the only venue of approach, but it is certainly one of them.

Ail2.jpg.c5e26f4a7b330c3e9ffe3c7306ffde91.jpg

Skold in the meantime has stepped outside the room exact and found a guard not ten feet from the door. A she-elf stands there, fully armored and yet slim like most elves tend to be. She turns to look at Skold upon beind addressed, and offers a curtsy in greeting before she answers in a quiet voice.

"The darkest of days are upon us, my lord. Is there something you require?"

RielatThird weekday, 30th49 days to a month, except Mesha is a day short of MeshaFirst month of the year, out of eight in total. 8:44 A.M

jensen-ackles-early-twenties-short-black-hair-black-goatee-facial-hair-black-military-uniform--766090635-fotor-bg-remover-20240420153430.png.be4848e3028270494c20b4c60888f036.png

Doallyn stood stoic as Sarai ran her eyes over him, doing whatever internal appraisal she needed. He glanced between her and Elektra, as the elf's attention moved to the priestess.

If you wish to help Lady Neferkare, and deal with this Evening Glory. Then our paths align and it would benefit both of us to work together for a common goal. You may however do as you see fit. Our Houses have weight to them, though we are not in our own lands. This lessens their authority. I would not demand assistance, nor could I enforce it given my current condition. Racanna has sent message back to our houses regarding what has transpired here, but time is a factor. Politics can be a slow and meticulous game. Even more when religious organization play in the mix. The Houses will move but this House may fall in the meantime if something is not done. I would wish to prevent that.

He looked to Varon again.

My tongue still works, they failed to consider the necessity to remove that with their attack. Racanna's would be even far more dangerous than my own, should we be able to heal her injuries better. Either way, if that is the best play, so be it. Though that will only serve to have them retreat on the public forum. They were still willing to do this attack. If they see themselves pushed back, they may prefer to salt the earth, rather than simply accept the loss. They could try to strike again and remove the remains of this house completely.

Doallyn McClare

Character Sheet

Init +1 

Spellbook

Wizard Spells Per Day: 

Cantrips - 3 

Spell Save DC:  10 + Spell Level + Intelligence Modifier (+3)Conjuration Spells +1     

Cantrips - 4

1st Level - 2

Name
(Doallyn) Knowledge: Nobility 
1d20+3 5
(Racanna) Knowledge: Nobility
1d20+1 15
(Doallyn) Knowledge: History
1d20+5 15
(Racanna) Knowledge: History
1d20+1 9
(Doallyn) Knowledge: Arcane
1d20+7 11
(Racanna) Knowledge: Arcane
1d20+1 8
(Doallyn) Knowledge: Planes
1d20+7 16
(Racanna) Knowledge: Planes
1d20+1 17
(Doallyn) Knowledge: Local
1d20+3 13
(Racanna) Knowledge: Local
1d20+1 1
(Doallyn) Diplomacy
1d20+4 16
(Racanna) Diplomacy
1d20+4 19
(Doallyn) Appraise
1d20+3 4
(Racanna) Appraise
1d20+1 10
(Racanna) Gather Information 
1d20+3 13

spacer.png Macsen Mistwalker

AC: 15, Touch: 12, Flat-footed: 13, HP: 8/8, Initiative: +2, Saves: Fort: +2 Reflex: +4 Will:

Macsen listening to the conversation and Varons explanation to the situation and the options that lay before them.

Macsen gives a quick informal bow to Doallyn and his wife, providing his name for introductions. "Macsen, it's a pleasure. A lady who is in distress and being prayed on by unscrupulous individuals is something that I can not stand by and let happen and it's good to see a man with such morals as well."

Listening to Shades input of the customs and insight to the Lady, Macsen joins Skold in taking a piece of the sacred hospitality.

"The Eye of the gate." Macsen let it drip off his tongue, a quiet whisper to himself, pondering the cryptic meaning and if any such phrase pricked at the back of his mind.

'It would be good to discuss these matters with to help sway our cause. I imagine you have better insight into the inner workings of the high society, is there anything else we can use to help sway the challenge?"

Name
Knowledge (history)
1d20+3 10
Knowledge (arcana)
1d20+7 17

Sister Elektra. Healer & Elementalist

spacer.pngQUICK STATS:  AC=18, Touch=12, FF=16 / HP=15/15 / Init=2 / Saves: Fort=4, Reflex=2, Will = 6 _________________________________________________________________________

Swift.  Painful.  No Quarter, Sister Elektra repeated in her mind.  After all, it's a blood oath, so what else could there be for any and all who participated or are responsible for any such attack on one's clan, the Dwarven holy woman mentally mused associating the transgression to her own experiences.

Regardless of the emotions at play, Elektra's ears perk up at the mention by the Lord of a wealthy house that he is in need of help to satisfy such a blood oath, for the injuries wrought to his manhood and the assault upon his wife and upon his noble House.

Sounds very expensive, the Priestess of Elements rolls around inside of her head given the obvious live or die dangers involved in any such pursuit. Plus, the fact that all of McClare's power and existence essentially rely upon success in these endeavors, Well, even more expensive.

Nonetheless, when her brilliant, good friend, Sarai, advises that the safety of the Lady of the House is paramount, Sister Elektra sincerely smiles and nods her head in the affirmative at the wisdom of her advice.

However, when Varron details the problems associated with approaching the Lady of the House and the fact that the group will get, at best, one chance to convince her, the minister offers time proven words of wisdom saying, "Words are most convincing when combined with proof of their truth."

Finally, when the Lord Doallyn McClare asks if any members of our contingent, including Varron, are willing to assist their House in this endeavor, Sister Elektra choose to remain silent on the matter until others in the entourage have spoken their feelings about the request.

Show Mechanics

Free Action:   

Move:  

Swift Action:   

Move Action:   

Standard Action:  

Continuing Effects:  None

Edited by Terran (see edit history)

In The Shade

VKAkopio.png.bf19c72a1221f9d9fa704ac6f179c6b2.png"You raise a point, Lord McClare. In answer, I raise you that our goals align. If conflict does arise, then we will resolve it in whatever manner is necessitated. If this, in turn, converges with the matter of attempts made on your self and your lady wife, so be it."

RielatThird weekday, 30th49 days to a month, except Mesha is a day short of MeshaFirst month of the year, out of eight in total. 8:43 A.M

Sarai, Enchantress of the Veil

Female   Gray Elf   Enchanter 2  

Init 6 | HP 9/9 | AC 11, Touch 11, FF 9 | Fort 2, Ref 2, Will 1

Sarai2.jpg.7e6c309d44573b0254d65bf50647ec9e.jpg

The Eye is the Gate...

Her eyes would lose focus for a moment as the phrase echoed in her mind, her face twisting into a sour expression. Thankfully, Varon stepped in to speak for the party in expressing their interests.

While Sarai struggled to expel the thought from her head, Zila would flit into the room and land on her master's knee where she sat, the little hummingbird inching her way closer to dip her little tongue into the crab cocktail sauce. The presence of her familiar helped shake the young elf maiden from her reverie. She would smile and set her plate where it was more easily accessible to her faithful companion before turning back to the group.

Your grandfather's research may have a lot to do with what's going on here. I think I have an idea of the meaning of his ramblings, she would pause then add, and I don't think he's mad, at least not in the classic sense. There may be ... well, let us not speak of it further for now lest we be overheard.

With that she would stand, leaving the plate on the table to Zila's delight, and glance in Skold's direction before continuing. Our first order of business should be to speak with the Castellan or the Guard Captain. We will need the backing of someone high up, if the Evening Glory emissaries have already swayed the Lady of the House.

Show Stats

Sarai

Init 6 | HP 9/9 | BAB 1 | Speed 30'

AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 9

Fortitude 2, Reflex 2, Will 1

Str 6, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 14

Condition Healthy

Shortbow (18/20 arrows) +2 (1d6-2, x3)
Dagger -2 (1d4-2, 19-20 x2)

Resources 
Potions: CLW (2), Parchment (4), Ink (1 vial), Sealing Wax (1 lb), Candles (10), Chalk (10), Twine (50'), Sparker (10), Trail Rations (8)

Money
51 g, 61 s, 13 c

Prepared Spells
0 Level:  Detect Magic, Daze, Mage Hand
1st Level:  Charm Person, Hypnotism, Mage Armor, Obscuring Mist

Zila

Hummingbird FamiliarZila.jpg.18423c5e24e41dc1fb7d851aa88856a3.jpg

Init 2 | HP 2/2 | Speed 10'/40' Fly (Average)

AC 17, Touch 16, Flat-footed 15

Fortitude 2, Reflex 4 Will 2

Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 6

Condition Healthy

Show Mechanics

Actions

Free Action:

Swift Action: 

Move Action: 

Standard Action: 

Skill Checks

Knowledge: Arcana, The Planes

Continuing Effects: 

ShadeGaerbarradd (Shade) Whisper Gnome, Rogue 2 

AC: 18, HP: 12/12, Initiative: +4, Perception: +8, Search: +8

Str: 11 (+0), Dex: 18(+4), Con: 12 (+1), Int: 16 (+3), Wis: 13 (+1), Cha:13 (+1)

This is not his area of expertise, so Shade remains quiet and observes what is going on around him. He keeps an eye out for anything that seems out of the ordinary or suspicious. Seeing that several of the group have already partaken of the bread and salt, he figures he might as well too. Not doing so could be seen as an insult to the Lady of the house. He makes up a small plate of food and finds himself a seat where he has a good view of as much as possible.

OOC

Name
Perception check
1d20+8 5

Doallyn nodded in agreement to Sarai.

If you have a theory I would be welcome to hear it. But as you say... in a more controlled environment.

He glanced back to where Skold had gone.

As for the Guard Captain, I have not seen them since before the attack on our initial arrival. I would imagine the incident has had them stretched thin with the loss of so many. In addition to the concern on security, and if the Evening Glory has bent the ear of some already in the house.

Racanna quietly watched the hummingbird for a moment. She shifted a bit, still seemingly frustrated from the lack of ability to engage. She strakate-beckinsale-early-twenties-long-black-hair-black-thief-outfit-pouches-black-hooded-cloak-d-979451201(2)-fotor-bg-remover-20240420153826.png.dc3af263aa2ac74fbe60d32519ed49e8.pngined as her voice was hoarse and raw. Every syllable seemed like a struggle to force over her lips but at this point she didn't care.

I 'ave reached out amid differen' circles 'en Water Plaza... If there are introductions tha' need ta' be made as well...during your investigation...

She grimaced and finally just yanked the scarf from around her neck. The visual that it had been hiding was gruesome. Four massive claw marks raked across her throat area. Another inch or so deeper and her head might have well been on a hinge. Doallyn sighed, and knelt down to pick up the scarf discarded on the floor. He didnt try and force her to put it back on. That was a losing battle that he didnt dare start. Racanna was very clear to make sure the group saw what the attack had attempted to do. And in a fashion to show what it failed to do. She was still alive, and limited in her ability to speak or not she was going to make Evening Glory regret every choice they made.

She held her throat again, the pressure seeming to help slightly.

My ability ta' speak wit' 'em may be limited, but I can likely ensure a meeting...

Shaking her head, trying to ignore the pain. She probably wouldnt be able to manage more for awhile.

Doallyn McClare

Character Sheet

Init +1 

Spellbook

Wizard Spells Per Day: 

Cantrips - 3 

Cantrips - 4

1st Level - 2

ShadeGaerbarradd (Shade) Whisper Gnome, Rogue 2 

AC: 18, HP: 12/12, Initiative: +4, Perception: +8, Search: +8

Str: 11 (+0), Dex: 18(+4), Con: 12 (+1), Int: 16 (+3), Wis: 13 (+1), Cha:13 (+1)

Shade is obviously moved by the ladies plight. He walks over to her as he reaches into his pouch and pulls out a vial and offers it to her.

It may not heal the deeper damage, but my hope is it would help to ease your suffering. It is merely a basic healing potion, but I offer it in the hopes it will help.

OOC

Skold

Crusader half orc.webpSkold - Crusader

HP: 20/20 | Init: +0 | AC: 16 Touch: 10 FF: 16 | Fort: +5 Reflex: +0 Will: +1 |

Stance: Martial Spirit | Maneuvers | Steely Resolve 0/5

"Nothing for myself." Skold answered. He rarely adopted the 'righteous holy warrior' persona, but in times like this morale hung heavy upon the scales. He stood confidently, determined but compassionate.

"I would see this darkness lifted and offer my services. Might we see your captain?"

spacer.png Macsen Mistwalker

AC: 15, Touch: 12, Flat-footed: 13, HP: 8/8, Initiative: +2, Saves: Fort: +2 Reflex: +4 Will:

Leaving Skold and Shade to help the young lady, Macsen nods to both Sarai and Lord Mclare. "I have an idea myself but agree we need one of them on our side if we are to sway the Lady Nefekare away from the Evening Glory."

Taking a sympathetic smile to the Lady Racanna. "Your introductions would be most welcome."

Edited by Slayer4399 (see edit history)

kate-beckinsale-early-twenties-long-black-hair-black-thief-outfit-pouches-black-hooded-cloak-d-979451201(2)-fotor-bg-remover-20240420153826.png.dc3af263aa2ac74fbe60d32519ed49e8.pngRacanna smiled lightly to Shade and his generous offer with the potion.

She signed "Thank You" as well as silently mouthing the words. It was one of the few words she remembered from one of her maids that had been deaf and used the hand motions to communicate. She wasn't sure if the Gnome even know sign language but it made her feel better to attempt to communicate some sense of gratitude.

In The Shade

VKAkopio.png.bf19c72a1221f9d9fa704ac6f179c6b2.png

Varon observes the discussion, listening. Until: "Archmage McClare's research - did he leave observable records?"

Outside the door, in the corridor, where Skold is speaking with the elven guard.

Ail2.jpg.c5e26f4a7b330c3e9ffe3c7306ffde91.jpg

The she-elf's blue eyes consider Skold and his words before she decides to nod.

"The Captain is at the Medical Ward and will be able to attend to your lordship. If you will allow a moment, I will send for a runner."

RielatThird weekday, 30th49 days to a month, except Mesha is a day short of MeshaFirst month of the year, out of eight in total. 8:44 A.M