Day 5 - Kalaman

emotionaut

Day:  5

Time:  3:21 P.M.

Jaqi sets their prisoner down, head first, inside an undamaged barrel near the workshop. The goblin protests, in its harsh tongue, but it can do nothing else but flail its lower legs. With the prisoner adequately stowed, Jaqi then joins Heather in searching the rest of the bodies.

Meanwhile, Tatina Rookledust descends from her perch above, by way of a pully affixed to a metal wire running down to the ground. She lands roughly, but bounces back to her feet with a speed matched only by her speech. Her gratitude is evident, as is her excitement to be meeting not just knights but also mages. However, one thing above all else seems to catch her attention. "Did you say these bastards deployed a mechanical dragon in battle? That was my machine! How did it perform? No, wait! It didn't hurt anybody, did it? Is it still functional?"

Rookledust is clearly torn between concern for harm her creation may have done and pride in her workmanship. However, once she finds her focus, she's able to relay how these events came to pass. About six weeks ago, a man in black and red armor came to her workshop and asked to see her creations. She gave demos of several of her best inventions, but the one the man found most compelling was a machine she designed for clearing weeds. The man asked if it was for sale, and if it could be modified to more closely resemble one of the mythical dragons of old. Rookledust thought nothing of it at the time, and she made the modifications and delivered the boilerdrak four weeks later. She swears up and down that she had no idea it would be used for such nefarious purposes.

tZ7ip34.jpgKora Shadowhawk

AC: 11 (14) |  HP: 17/22 |  PP: 11 | Spell Slots: 1st 3/4, 2nd 1/2 | Sorcery Pts: 3/3
Inspiration:  | Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Sylvan

Kora looked bewildered as the gnome explained the origins of the 'dragon' that they had fought. How was a fire-spewing weapon like that supposed to be intended to clear out weeds? She glanced around at the various mechanisms still clanking and twirling and stabbing out from around the environs of the workshop and pondered on the sanity of the Rookledust's intentions.

"We believe you - surely the villains within the Dragon Army corrupted your designs for their own purposes." Kora sighed. "The damage done to the village of Vogler by the false dragon was great - I'm afraid it was quite efficient in at destruction. We were able to turn it against the Army though, but we were not able to salvage any part of the weapon - as we were attempting to evacuate the population of the village."

"As I said, Marshall Vendri of Kalaman sent us to request your help in resisting the Dragon Army. If this...'boilerdrake' was your own design, you must have ideas for tactics in countering its use. Those ideas could save a lot of lives. Will you lend your expertise to Kalaman's efforts?"

Bastion

Bastion Wrencrest TokenBastion Wrencrest, Squire of Solamnia Banner

My words | My thoughts | My Actions
AC 14 HP 22/22 Speed 40 ft., PP 13
Sneak Attack 2d6 Precise Strike 1/2

Attacks and Scores

Scores Skills
Strength 8 (-1)
Save -1
  • Athletics +1

Dexterity 16 (+3)
Save +5

• Acrobatics +5
  • Sleight of Hand +7
  • Stealth +7
Constitution 13 (+1)
Save +1

Intelligence  15 (+2)
Save +4
  • Arcana +2
  • History +2
  • Investigation +4
  • Nature +6
  • Religion +2
Wisdom 12 (+1)
Save +1
  • Animal Handling +1
  • Insight +1
  • Medicine +1
  • Perception +3
  • Survival +5
Charisma 10 (+0)
Save +0
  • Deception +0
  • Intimidation +0
  • Performance +0
  • Persuasion +0

Dagger Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4+3 piercing damage, Simple, Finesse, Light, Thrown, 2 total

Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6+3 piercing damage, Simple, Two-Handed, Ammunition

Unarmed Strike. Melee: +1 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 0 bludgeoning damage.

Class and Race Abilities

Mobile
Your speed increases by 10 feet. When you use the Dash action, difficult terrain doesn't cost you extra movement on that turn. When you make a melee attack against a creature, you don't provoke opportunity attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn, whether you hit or not.

Squire of Solamnia
Your training in the ways of the Knights of Solamnia grants you these benefits:

• Mount Up. Mounting or dismounting costs you only 5 ft. of movement.

• Precise Strike. Once per turn, when you make a weapon attack roll against a creature, you can cause the attack roll to have advantage. If the attack hits, you roll a d8 and add the number rolled as a bonus to the attack’s damage roll. You can use this benefit 2 times per long rest, but a use is expended only if the attack hits.

Expertise
Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make for two chosen proficiencies. Choose two additional proficiencies.

• Stealth
  • Sleight of Hand

Sneak Attack
1 per turn
Once per turn, you can deal an extra 2d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack with a finesse or ranged weapon if you have advantage on the attack roll. You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 ft. of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Cunning Action
You can take a bonus action on each of your turns to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

Skirmisher
You can move up to half your speed as a reaction when an enemy ends its turn within 5 ft. of you without provoking opportunity attacks.

Survivalist
You gain proficiency in the Nature and Survival skills and your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of them.

Bastion considers the cannon. "We used it ourselves, beyond what it did to the town. Used it against an ogress. It worked... exceptionally well. I'd love another one, if you've got it." He considers the figure in red. "What do you know of this figure in red? Where or to whom was it delivered? Do you have any idea where they might have been from or headed with it?"

Out of Character

Situational:
Move: 
Action: 
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Ongoing Effects/Conditions:

Day:  5

Time:  3:25 P.M.

Rookledust listens to Kora and Bastion describe her invention in action. Though there was initially a touch of pride in her reactions, guilt wins out in the end and the small gnome hangs her head. "I'm so very sorry for the destruction and loss of life. It was only ever meant to kill weeds. I told them so! The ones who came for it. They tricked me!

"I don’t know much about those who came for it. The black and red armor, like these buggers. But there was a human who came before, and she had ogres with her. Two big brutes who shouldered the boilerdrake together. No idea where they might have gone before they took it to Vogler...

"But I'd absolutely welcome the chance to make up for what my creation has done. I'll come back to Kalaman with you. Offer my expertise however I can. Afraid I don't have another boilerdrake, but I do have these!" Rookledust then dashes inside and returns a few moments later with a small box of little devices. Each one fits in the palm of her tiny hand and looks to be a tangle of wire and metal beads. No two are exactly alike, but they are all similar enough to suggest they serve the same function.

"I call them fargabs!"

OOC

Treasure? Treasure! These are basically walkie-talkies. They are designed go loop around an ear like a fantasy Bluetooth phone. Enough for everyone, including your NPCs buds.

Searching the bodies reveals an assortment of knickknacks and coin with a total value in the ballpark of 175 GP. Additionally, the hobgoblin had a potion and a spell scroll, which both need to be identified. Rules for doing so can be found here:

https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/3070-mechanics/&do=findComment&comment=27593

Edited by emotionaut (see edit history)
Name
Body Search
1d100 50
Stuff?
1d6 2
What Stuff 1
1d100 58
What Stuff 2
1d100 44
Objects d'Art?
2d4 4,3

Jonas Clarkspacer.png

3rd Level Wizard | AC 11/14 | health-normal.svg HP: 14/17 | awareness.svg PP: 17 | Spell Slots: 1st: 4/3, 2nd: 2/1 | InspX | Languages: Common, Draconic | Conditions: Mage Armor

Jonas takes his usual place to the rear. Best to let Kora and Bastion tackle this Rookledust.

Even as he listens, though, he can't help but scan the area for anything unusual. He chuckles to himself. I may have to be a bit more specific than that! Everything in the Gnome's vicinity was that, at least. His eye picks out several concealed ports, no doubt where some of the darts came from.

As Rookledust goes on, Jonas starts to put together what had happened, and possibly how the Gnome could help the people back in Kalaman. As the artificer distributes his 'fargabs', Jonas takes one, very curious. He could sense divination magic of some sort in it. He licks his lips. I need to take some time with this.

When Bastion comes up with more magic from the hobgoblin, Jonas holds out a hand. "I can take a look at those if you'd like."

tZ7ip34.jpgKora Shadowhawk

AC: 11 (14) |  HP: 17/22 |  PP: 11 | Spell Slots: 1st 3/4, 2nd 1/2 | Sorcery Pts: 3/3
Inspiration:  | Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Sylvan

"Interesting..." Kora commented with dubious curiosity as she was handed one of the 'fargab' devices. She turned it over in her hand a couple times while Rookledust explained their function. She doubted they would work exactly as the gnome described, but that was an experiment for another time.

"If the Council of Kalaman can count on your assistance, would you be willing to return to the city with us to join in the planning? We can assist with anything you require to prepare for the journey to Kalaman, if you'd like." She motioned to the goblin currently sealed within a barrel by Jaqi. "We may also want to take this prisoner back with us. Maybe the Marshall can get some useful intelligence from him."