Cizire's Show

Lycar

image.png.7b6bd332dafe410397d3099ef34f05c3.png

Sweet Tooth - Catfolk Thaumaturge 3

HP: 35/35 | AC: 18 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 2/3 

Perception: +7 Low Light Vision | Fort: +8 | Ref: +9 | Will: +7 

Statistics | Equipment | Abilities | Skills

Conditions : Vermin Repellent

Sweet Tooth wandered into the room and began running their fingers over the knicknacks until she finds something of interest. It appeared to be an amulet depicting a multi-headed snake coiled around a strange symbol she did not recognise.

"This one smells of evil, where did it come from?"

Banana carefully pulls out a kris on a stand. He looks down the edge, tests the grip, and carefully puts it down on a table.

"Some sort of...ceremonial weapon? I don't know much about working with metal - the art is very young in my tribe. But it doesn't seem very practical to make. I could probably create a good stand for it, if I had time."

%5Btable%3D2%2C1%5D%20%5Br%3D1%2C1%5D%5BIMG2%3D150%5Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fog.myth-weavers.com%2Fattachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D101183%26d%3D1629905609%5B%2FIMG2%5D%0A%5Br%3D2%2C1%5D%5Bfieldset%3DMac%20T%C3%ADre%5D%5BB%5D%5BURL%3D%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.myth-weavers.com%2Fsheet.html%23id%3D2505803%22%5DMac%20T%C3%ADre%5B%2FURL%5D%5B%2FB%5D%20%0A%5Bb%5DHP%3A%5B%2Fb%5D38%2F38%20-%5Bb%5D%20AC%3A%20%5B%2Fb%5D20%0A%5Bb%5DConditions%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%20Vermin%20repellent%20(4%20hours%2C%20%2B1%20Item%20vs.%20poison%2C%20DC%2017)%20%0A%5Bb%5DHero%20Points%3A%203%5B%2Fb%5D%20%20%20%0A%5Bb%5DSpells%20prepared%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%20Electric%20Arc%2C%20Stabilise%0A%5B%2Ffieldset%5D%5B%2Ftable%5D
attachment.php?attachmentid=101183&d=1629905609
Mac Tíre
Mac Tíre
HP: 38/38 - AC: 20
Conditions: Vermin repellent (4 hours, +1 Item vs. poison, DC 17)
Hero Points: 3
Spells prepared: Electric Arc, Stabilise

Mac looks around to find an item that catches his fancy, and stumbles across a pair of off-white gloves. It comes with a small piece of cardboard, with some notes scribbled on them in pencil: "Oppara,  9 Calistril, 4714 AR", is what he can make out, the rest of the note smudged and mostly illegible. Examining them closer, Mac notes that they seem to be made of a fine leather... no, cloth actually, Mac notices as he brings one of them to his face to sniff if. And there is no longer any living scent on it. Yeah well, they have been around here for quite some time...

While he, like any other student of the Magaambya, has been warned not to mess around with unknown magic items, Mac decides to put them on. He is supposed to examine them, how else can he describe them? Besides, Chezire does it all the damn time (if his tales are to be believed), and he's no worse for it. When he does, a ghostly, translucent version of Mac's hands appears in front of him. They just seem to float in the air, motionless. Mac moves around his own hands, to see what the ghost hands do, but nothing happens. Maybe he has to concentrate on moving them? Maybe the projections are Mage Hands, and the gloves aid those who, for some reason, can not cast that cantrip themselves? Now that would be useful...

But try as he might, the projections do not move. Frustrated, Mac decides to ask for help. "Hey guys, will you look at this?", he asks, and as he does, the ghostly hands finally spring into action and... gesture. Or at least that is the only way Mac can describe it at a glance.

"Uh... okay, so... like... what is happening... Test? Test?", Mac says, more to himself, and observes the ghostly hands move.

Oukosh looks up from some notes he has been perusing with a frown, then gets up and walks over. "Did your teachers not tell you to not play around with unidentified magic? You never know if an item is cursed! We did a preliminary examination of the artefacts to ensure no curses are present, but you did not know that, now did you. At least in this case, we now know what these are: Apparition Gloves.", the bursar admonishes Mac (and by proxy, every student around), looking at them as if everybody ought to know what 'Apparition Gloves' are.

Mac stares at Oukosh blankly for a second or three, then asks "Soo... what do they do?"

Now it is Ouksh's turn to stare at Mac. "Well? Obviously they project a pair of illusionary hands! And then translate the wearer's words into sign language. You do know what sign language is, don't you."

"Uhm, actually, I do not. But I figure, it's like, speaking word, but with gestures. Uh... so how does that work then? Is that, like, a language language, or do all languages have their own set of, uh, gestures?", Mac replies cautiously.

Now it is Oukush's turn to look between the other students "Well? Can any of you help your fellow student out?"

q8bOODq.png.92845881adc694b10a16043ab904a4ae.png  
Thura

HP: 35/35
AC: 17

Perception +9
Fort +7
Ref +7
Will +11

Thura nods and answers, "Sign language is often used to help those who cannot hear. Each spoken language has its own sign language, and some involve more than just the hands. Iruxi sign language, for example, can involve moving one's tail in certain ways."

Edited by Eagleheart (see edit history)

52257768655_92d032d51b_h.jpg
Omolara

Ancestry: Human | Heritage: Half-elf | Class: Ranger | Background: Sponsored By A Stranger

Primary branch: Rain-Scribe (lvl 1) | Secondary branch: Uzunjati (lvl 1) | Application | Character sheet

HP: 44/44 | Hero Points: 2 | Focus Points: 1/1 | Cantrip(s): Stabilize

Condition(s):

"Hunters also use such signs when stalking prey", Omolara chimed in. "Although most only know a few signs, so you can't hold a conversation that way."

"That's actually how kholo sign began. Though sometimes our prey was...well, you know the stories about the gnolls."

He places a not inconsiderable amount of contempt on the word "gnoll"

"If you weren't kin, you were either slave or food. Ugh, I couldn't imagine living knowing my tent and bedroll were made by tomorrow's rations. But, moving away from that...tsaa...tango...tanger...tangent. Kholo sign began as something used to coordinate when stalking prey or enemies, and evolved from there. I don't know it myself, outside of a few basics."

He moves his hands in a swift sequence that essentially means "where's the food". He then delves back into the pile, pulling out a jawbone that has a tag tied to it. He turns it over, and his eyebrows raise.

"Wait...Anchor Root made this one?"

Sorena Ortho - Traitor to Cheliaximage.png.73e99a978c4b7df994947632c26cbd7a.png

checked-shield.svg AC: 19health-normal.svg HP: 44/44 | bicep, biceps, fitness, muscle, power, strength, strong Fortitude: +11 | sprint.svg Reflex: +8 | calm, peace, yoga, serene, serenity, mind, meditate, meditation, peaceful Will: +7 | awareness.svg Perception: +5

account, add, follow, new, plus, profile, user Conditions:

"You are not fond of your own people then?"

Sorena had done her best to avoid Banana, giving the Gnoll a wide berth in most of their interactions. She was awkward at the best of times, unused to people who didn't understand Chelish civilization and Chelish rules. She was even worse around him, because she was pretty sure that he did. The idea that he was also an outcast of his own blood and kin was enough to pull her from the protective shell she'd wrapped herself in a manner that nothing else really had.

Peering up at Banana's comment, Oukosh frowns and says "Are you sure? This is supposed to be a collection of artefacts from outside the Magaambya. But then again, if it counts as a Kholo artefact. Just as well, catalogue it with the others."

Seeing that almost all other students were able to add to the topic of sign language seems to please Oukosh and he explains "Heh. The Magaambya is a place of learning, and while students are supposed to learn from their teachers, I did not know about Kholo sign language. Interesting. Either way, this is a good opportunity to show you how proper cataloguing is done."

The halfling bursar turns around to Chezire, who is bent over Oukosh's notes, snooping and calls him over "Chezire! Stop snooping and make yourself useful over here! Bring pen and paper."

Chezire himself startles, mumbles "...Wasnt snooping..." and picks up some writing utensils to join the cohort.

"While the term artefact technically means all things made by a sapient ancestry, including art, tools and clothing, the Magaambya is a school of magic first and foremost, so we are primarily interested in an items magical properties. But since magic items can also come in the form of clothing, and many are also pieces of art in their own right, there is a lot overlap.", Oukosh explains, "So the first step in describing an artefact is really just describing it's appearance. Since you have handled them already, how would you describe this artefact?"

Mac has been smirking a bit when Oukosh called out Chezire's snooping, but otherwise was listening to the halfling's explanation.

"Uhm...", he begins, "this, err, artefact seems to be made of leather at first glance..."

"Don't you think that mentioning the fact it is a pair of gloves should come before speculating about material?", Oukosh interrupts with a raised eyebrow.

"Ehh? Oh, of course, let me start over... This artefact is a pair of gloves, which appears to be made of fine leather at first glance", Mac explains, turning the unworn gloves this way and that, "but closer examination reveals it to be some kind of cloth. The texture is giving it away really." Bringing the gloves to his nose and sniffing, he adds "Plus they do not smell like leather, old or otherwise."

At this point, Oukosh interrupts again "While your attempt to use all your senses to describe the artefact are laudable, there are ancestries with a far better sense of smell then humans, perhaps...", peering between Banana and Sweet Tooth, "... the ones who can smell evil can help you out with that?"

After waiting a moment to allow the students to chip in, Oukosh nods to Mac to go on. Mac obliges "Oh and there is this piece of cardboard, it says "Oppara,  9 Calistril, 4714 AR". That was with the gloves. That should be mentioned too I suppose?"

"Hmm yes, if there are any notes to be found, absolutely make sure to mention them in your description, saves us a lot of work."

"Right, since there is no outward sign of, uh, magic about these, I will put them on and...", Mac goes on just to be interrupted by Oukosh again "Stop! I can not stress this enough: Do not wear untested magical items! You do not know that they are not cursed. Trying to activate the artefacts is not part of cataloguing, but of examination. Don't do it! Besides, haven't you forgotten to use one of your other senses to examine these gloves? Hmm?"

Mac just stares at Oukosh for a moment, before the halfling bursar adds "Well? Cast Read Aura on it." Which prompts Mac to go "Uhm... I can't... actually cast that. Did... did not prepare it for today", with a rather pitiful expression. Whereupon Oukosh throws up his hands in frustration and explains "Seriously? Boy, this is a school of magic, how can you not prepare one of the most basic tools of magical research! I hope one of your cohort can help you out there, young man!", now looking pointedly at the other students.

Edited by Lycar (see edit history)

Thura

Perception +9
Fort +7
Ref +7
Will +11

"Evil does not have a scent," Thura mutters quietly. She knows that's not really the point, but still.

When they raise the subject of casting Read Aura on the gloves, she steps forward. "I can do that. May I?" She offers to take the gloves. The spell takes 1 minute to cast - in combat it's impractical, but in the current situation, it's not a problem.

%5Btable%3D2%2C1%5D%20%5Br%3D1%2C1%5D%5BIMG2%3D150%5Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fog.myth-weavers.com%2Fattachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D101183%26d%3D1629905609%5B%2FIMG2%5D%0A%5Br%3D2%2C1%5D%5Bfieldset%3DMac%20T%C3%ADre%5D%5BB%5D%5BURL%3D%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.myth-weavers.com%2Fsheet.html%23id%3D2505803%22%5DMac%20T%C3%ADre%5B%2FURL%5D%5B%2FB%5D%20%0A%5Bb%5DHP%3A%5B%2Fb%5D38%2F38%20-%5Bb%5D%20AC%3A%20%5B%2Fb%5D20%0A%5Bb%5DConditions%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%20Vermin%20repellent%20(4%20hours%2C%20%2B1%20Item%20vs.%20poison%2C%20DC%2017)%20%0A%5Bb%5DHero%20Points%3A%202%5B%2Fb%5D%20%20%20%0A%5Bb%5DSpells%20prepared%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%20Electric%20Arc%2C%20Stabilise%0A%5B%2Ffieldset%5D%5B%2Ftable%5D
attachment.php?attachmentid=101183&d=1629905609
Mac Tíre
Mac Tíre
HP:38/38 - AC: 20
Conditions: Vermin repellent (4 hours, +1 Item vs. poison, DC 17)
Hero Points: 2
Spells prepared: Electric Arc, Stabilise

After a short side glance at Oukosh, Mac hands Thura the gloves with a grateful smile "Thanks dude..."

image.png.7b6bd332dafe410397d3099ef34f05c3.png

Sweet Tooth - Catfolk Thaumaturge 3

HP: 35/35 | AC: 18 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 2/3 

Perception: +7 Low Light Vision | Fort: +8 | Ref: +9 | Will: +7 

Statistics | Equipment | Abilities | Skills

Conditions :

Sweet Tooth looked at Oukush and shrugged when she suggested she might have an enhanced sense of smell. Perhaps a little better than the average human, certainly judging by the smell of unwashed flesh she got from the bulk of those she met. She though someone related to the wolves was likely to have much keener sense of smell. Dogs loved smelling everything they came across after all.

"Evil has many smells, Thura. There is a smell of evil on many artefacts and weapons used for ill. Perhaps you are simply not attuned to such things? Not everyone is. The rotten stench of necromancy smells very different to death by natural causes. An orc who fights for the lust for blood smells different to the orc who fight to protect his home. Though neither is what I would call pleasant."

Having made her point, the catfolk refocused her interest on her own bauble. She spoke aloud as she considered what to write.

"An amulet of copper, or copper rich alloy. Beads along its string made of clay, fired and coloured in many colours. The string remains strong, even after the copper has tarnished. The amulet is circular, with a loop in the top to allow for the string. The back is smooth, but the front has a carving depicting a multi-headed snake coiled around a strange symbol. Perhaps a stylised snake skull? Though it is a snake, it appears to have arms ending in hands. One clutches a spear, the other a dagger. The dagger appears curved, like a ritual or ceremonial dagger. The faintest trace of a bloody smell resides on the artefact. A stench of evil and death overpower the simpler smell of blood."

Edited by omegoku (see edit history)

Thura

Perception +9
Fort +7
Ref +7
Will +11

Thura blinks a few times at the catfolk, but she's willing to concede the point. Catfolk probably do have a better sense of smell than lizardfolk, and Sweet Tooth is familiar with many different types of magic while Thura is not.

After identifying the gloves, she turns to Mac. "It is as Oukosh said," she says, putting them on to demonstrate. "They translate the wearer's speech into sign language. It's illusion magic. It's harmless, though, unlike most illusion magic I've heard of."

She then curiously says in Iruxi, <I wonder if they can translate any language...> And it seems they can indeed, as this time a spectral tail appears and moves along with the hands.

Edited by Eagleheart (see edit history)

Given that the gloves have been identified before, Thura's revelation that they exude an aura of illusion magic comes to no surprise. Still, Oukush makes sure that Chezire takes note of every detail.

"As you can see, contrary to what some of my colleagues in the faculty would have you believe, not all magic items are for blowing stuff up. Magic is supposed to enhance and enrich our daily lives, and enable you to bring magic into the lives of others to help. Granted, sometimes this help might come in the form of fighting a monster or something, but that will be the exception, not the rule. That said, do not neglect your studies of the Magica Combativa either.

So, that is how proper cataloguing is done", the Halfling bursar declares, "now just do diligent work with the other artefacts, and you may even be done in time for supper. Just remember to help each other out with the Read Aura cantrip. Chezire, that includes you!"

So for a while, the cohort goes ahead and examines the various artefacts lying about, with Chezire scribbling down whatever description the examiner sees fit to provide, and occasionally casting Read Aura to help out where needed. Oukush meanwhile busies himself with paperwork.

However, Chezire's glace drifts over to the big object hidden under a sheet near the back of the room, and if his twitching tail is any indication, he is quite curious about that. So eventually, he just asks the student right next to him "Hey, wanna do that big thing over there next? Looks interesting, don't you think?"

"Ah. I suppose there's a bit of confusion there," Banana admits as he pulls out a small wooden spoon. He doesn't cast a spell, but with his skill in woodworking, he feels confident in his ability to glean the purpose from its worksmanship. "There's a significant schism, so those of my kind hailing from this side of the continent don't call themselves 'gnoll'. We are 'kholo'. The main difference is in the place of Dark Mother in our worship of the gods. The gnolls - the ones that live far to the east in the deserts around Osirion and Katapesh - place her at the forefront of worship. They call her by name, gladly sacrifice to her those that they do not enslave or eat - grandmother said that they will even lie with monsters, praising Dark Mother's name as their unnatural offspring rip through their bellies. For us kholo, however, Dark Mother's role is a last resort. We beseech our ancestors for aid and succor first, that the gods may focus on more important matters. After that, we call on Brother and the Sisters - the ones you humans call Shelyn, Calistria, and Nethys. We only call upon Dark Mother by name in the darkest of times, when an entire tribe faces extinction. And Dark Mother always demands a heavy price."

He finishes his inspection, and starts writing up the form on the spoon.

"Huh. A spoon for purifying food and drink."