Alright, I'll probably work up a monk, since I got decent rolls for it. I'll fit him into the backstory somehow or another.

Are we allowed ability point trade-offs, 2 for 1? Would not mind boosting Constitution by 1 for +1 hp/lvl.

Also, are we allowed to use any kits?

My character will likely be a LN Monk, so potentially could be an associate of Sorcha, maybe they were sparring partners and grew up together. Gavin knew the Darkwoods too, but had a lot less to do with Jessica, since he was always immersed in his training and meditation practices. When Sorcha was called as Jessica's guardian, Gavin would tag along to keep him company and help out with stuff, since neither of them knew how to take care of a child.

Doesn't have to be exactly that; you can adjust the story as you see fit. Gavin is extremely self-disciplined, spending almost all his time in training and meditation, so isn't too sociable. He wouldn't be directly involved with raising the child, but he would be a regular participant in sparring and martial training with the other fighters.

Edited by snugglepooh (see edit history)

3 hours ago, snugglepooh said:

Alright, I'll probably work up a monk, since I got decent rolls for it. I'll fit him into the backstory somehow or another.

Are we allowed ability point trade-offs, 2 for 1? Would not mind boosting Constitution by 1 for +1 hp/lvl.

Also, are we allowed to use any kits?

My character will likely be a LN Monk, so potentially could be an associate of Sorcha, maybe they were sparring partners and grew up together. Gavin knew the Darkwoods too, but had a lot less to do with Jessica, since he was always immersed in his training and meditation practices. When Sorcha was called as Jessica's guardian, Gavin would tag along to keep him company and help out with stuff, since neither of them knew how to take care of a child.

Doesn't have to be exactly that; you can adjust the story as you see fit. Gavin is extremely self-disciplined, spending almost all his time in training and meditation, so isn't too sociable. He wouldn't be directly involved with raising the child, but he would be a regular participant in sparring and martial training with the other fighters.

the DM is doing a 3 for 1 buy off

18 hours ago, snugglepooh said:

Sure, so that would put your origin in or around Diamond Lake. Here's an overview summary for the upheaval that puts Sorcha on the path: undead rise from the Cairn Hills and invade the town, which are then put to rest by returning an idol stolen from its resting place in the hills. The town must volunteer defenders for the clergyman to go into the hills and perform a rite to appease the gods and the spirits of the dead. It works, but Sorcha's father dies.

So for Sorcha we can say Gavin knew her in passing at the temple, and noticed a martial change in her form as they both got older, and offered to spar with her, and she took him up on it. Her old man was getting predictable and just using it as another excuse to spend time with his daughter, and if she's going to learn to fight, she wants to be a proper warrior in her own right. Or at least worthy of the stigma by traditional folk, which is most if not all of the plebians of the town.

After the undead are laid to rest, the temple offer shelter and succor to the bereaved for one week to help them mourn and find their feet. When Sorcha receives the letter notifying her of her new guardianship, she tells her friends and the head of the church, including Gavin.

Edited by rorytheromulan (see edit history)

4 hours ago, rorytheromulan said:

Sure, so that would put your origin in or around Diamond Lake. Here's an overview summary for the upheaval that puts Sorcha on the path: undead rise from the Cairn Hills and invade the town, which are then put to rest by returning an idol stolen from its resting place in the hills. The town must volunteer defenders for the clergyman to go into the hills and perform a rite to appease the gods and the spirits of the dead. It works, but Sorcha's father dies.

So for Sorcha we can say Gavin knew her in passing at the temple, and noticed a martial change in her form as they both got older, and offered to spar with her, and she took him up on it. Her old man was getting predictable and just using it as another excuse to spend time with his daughter, and if she's going to learn to fight, she wants to be a proper warrior in her own right. Or at least worthy of the stigma by traditional folk, which is most if not all of the plebians of the town.

After the undead are laid to rest, the temple offer shelter and succor to the bereaved for one week to help them mourn and find their feet. When Sorcha receives the letter notifying her of her new guardianship, she tells her friends and the head of the church, including Gavin.

You have to know a few things about Jessica. When she left Diamond Lake with her father, she was a weak, sickly child prone to bouts of flu and shivers. The reason why Jessica's father took her out of Diamond Lake was one to get her away from Neff, Smenk and the other corrupt officials and mine managers he had made enemies of and two to toughen her up a bit and help her regain her health by gradually introducing her to the outdoors, learning to live a little without the stuffiness of a library, and basically not smother her. He was a sickly child himself when he was young until his father got him to go outdoors, play with his brothers and other children and not be overly sheltered. When it was done slowly and cautiously he was able to get stronger and grew up to be a healthy adult.

Now around 6 years later Jessica is a vibrant, healthy 11 year old girl. No longer frail and weak. The plague of course laid her low but as soon as she was cured she bounced back and was now quite well if not a bit emotionally devastated by the death of her father. She is a survivor though if not a bit stubborn. Her strengths are still her mind and spirit.

Hello. I played a bit in junior high using the BECMI, mostly just the B and E. Played a few other games like Shadowrun, Top Secret, and Vampire. The. Took a break for a while and misplaced all my stuff. Got back into it playing Pathfinder then moved on to 5E. Kinda of getting tired of that so once my current live game is finished my next campaign with be Hyperborea. Maybe run the Northlands Saga Complete theee.

Anyway, for this game I got some unbelievably good rolls so I thought a thief/illusionist might be fun. I couldn’t find a thief-cleric option but would be willing to try that as well if I just missed it for the same character.

i used OSRIC to make her. That’s basically the same thing right?

Spelling wrrors because I’m sitting in my van outside an art studio on my phone waiting for my kid to paint. Fat thumbs 😂

Edited by Saltimbanco (see edit history)

Hey guys, we have a lot of time before we start the adventure. Fill out as much of the info on the character sheet that you can...sv throws, to hit, background, height, weight, languages, roll for a trade from the DMG(farmer, furrier, etc.). Using the PHB AD&D1e of course. I will double check the character sheets before we start the adventure...heck, I may even give all of you a flaw! Veteran Old school players help the less experienced players please.

Well, I was going to go Monk for the extra thief skills, but if we have a thief, I'll switch to Paladin. Backstory doesn't have to change much, except you can say Gavin was charged with care of Jessica (with Sorcha's help as the mom figure), since, you know, he's a Paladin - or keep it the same. I'm fine with either.

I thought the DM guide was for DM-eyes only. Thank you

3 hours ago, snugglepooh said:

Well, I was going to go Monk for the extra thief skills, but if we have a thief, I'll switch to Paladin. Backstory doesn't have to change much, except you can say Gavin was charged with care of Jessica (with Sorcha's help as the mom figure), since, you know, he's a Paladin - or keep it the same. I'm fine with either.

To me that would make more sense. Gavin can receive the letter, and Sorcha will go along out of concern and to look for greener pastures.

I don't know if I'm just blind today, but I cannot find the number of spells a wizard starts with in the AD&D PH. OSRIC says 4 spells at level one. Some random online resource said 3d4 spells, but I think it is AD&D 2E. Does anyone here know where I should be looking? Thanks!

Edit: turns out it's in the DMG: 3

Edited by Saltimbanco (see edit history)