2 - On the Road to the Tomb

Sellsword

Mandons2.jpg.7cd23019d3e959152beb498115472025.jpg

When Jack assures him that the second beast is far away, Mandons relaxes a little. He goes back to the place where he left his shield and lantern, retrieves them and puts out the lantern to conserve oil. Then he goes to check on Nemesis, giving the horse a few comforting pats and an extra bit of feed as a treat.

When the others return with the injured donkey, he says: "Poor thing looks in a bad way. Should we heal it or have a hearty breakfast?"

1.jpg.b12b02209288ffd0d0862c1427fb0697.jpg

Amarandé just about turns his snort into a cough. "Heal it, of course. Food can be provided, but the magic of attachment is sacred; also, you can be damned if you think I'd be taking on his cargo."

Patting Theoath on the shoulder, he adds "Worry not, lad. Mystra protects thee and your charge." With gentle steps, he approaches the donkey and begins to trace its wounds, muttering a musical chant under his breath as he casts Cure Light Wounds.

THEOATH GRANGER, Paladin of Chauntea [3]

image.png.6812066c692a3b080c16faa0b5b677e0.png

Theo's heart breaks as he sees the poor condition of his trusted donkey. "Oh Jenny..." weeps seeing her in such pain. Thanking Amarandé for his kind words he joins him as he performs his magical healing. Calling to his goddess Chauntea he asks for her to deliver onto Jenny the blessing of her magic. "Please Chauntea ... Heal Jenny."

OoC: He will join in on casting Lay on Hands for 6 extra HP. He has never had to use this power before on an animal so he will surprised if it works on poor Jenny.

Adventuring Gear

image.png.f0d6c3f06904ae3c5f3ae9b3c114c442.pngRustic Hide Armor, Med. Shield, Holy Symbol, Assorted Clothing

Spear, Short Sword, Battle Axe, Footman's Mace,

Backpack, Large Sack, Winter Blanket, Flint & Steel, Whetstone, Rope, Winesink, Dry Rations (Wk), Torches (10),

Donkey "Jenny", Pack Saddle, Bit & Bridle, Hunting Dog "Dancer"

image.png.c93e153e306c7489fac1c2a51e81e841.png

Edited by rauhric (see edit history)

Your combined ministrations are enough to fully recover Jenny from her wounds. The flayed areas of hide are knitted, leaving several large areas of now-hairless but otherwise unbroken skin. The characteristic spring to her step returns, and while still traumatized from the whole affair, Jenny is reassured that not one but two major Faerunian goddesses are looking over her.

image.png.bbe2d1d3f0368f4b351daaf75f02d29e.png

OOC: Let me know if there are other actions at camp (exploring the tunnel, for example) otherwise I'll assume that you guys stuff the corpse in the hole, reset watches and I'll update everything tomorrow. Amarandé does have an extra mount, so assuming he's willing to share (and assuming you survive the rest of the evening), you should all be able to resume travel mounted in the morning.

Edited by Sellsword (see edit history)

image.png.151b17ddb7b385a69020a1d6c0d96023.png

At the mention of putting Jenny out of her misery and eating her for breakfast, a brief look of disgust flickers across Valandil's face. "That would not be a tasty meal at all," he remarks, his tone tinged with genuine concern. "In fact, it would disrupt my internal organs to a degree that I would not be able to travel on the morrow."

As Valandil speaks, both Theo and Amarandé, moved by compassion for the donkey, offer prayers to their respective deities, pleading for intervention on Jenny's behalf.

12 minutes ago, Excior said:

"That would not be a tasty meal at all," he remarks, his tone tinged with genuine concern. "In fact, it would disrupt my internal organs to a degree that I would not be able to travel on the morrow."

"So, you're saying we should eat the hobbit instead? Seems a bit harsh, but okay, if you insist..."

1.jpg.b12b02209288ffd0d0862c1427fb0697.jpg

Amarandé ruffles Jenny's mane before relinquishing her to Theoath's ministrations.

"We should have plenty of food for the journey, especially if Valandil keeps bringing me rabbits on his wanderings. If it runs out, though, I'd think a muscular warrior might last us longer than the smallest of us..."

"Now, I'm not sure about all of you, but I was enjoying a peaceful sleep before all of this ruckus. Whoever was on watch should 'ware the ground beneath us." A beat passes, before he winks and adds "Sleep well," and retreats into his tent.

Edited by Arbuthnott (see edit history)

"Nah, we couldn't eat Theo. That would just be wrong." Mandons replies with a laugh.

"I'm going to have trouble getting back to sleep after all this excitement, so I'll take the next watch. I'll scream if any more giant acid-drooling bugs turn up."

THEOATH GRANGER, Paladin of Chauntea [3]

image.png.6812066c692a3b080c16faa0b5b677e0.png

Theo is delighted with Jenny's recuperation. "Oh thank you and your Goddess, Amarandé." He wipes the tears from his eyes and gives Jenny a big hug around her neck. Talking to her he says, "Look at you Jenny, you are all better now."

OoC: Thanks @Arbuthnott for the healing.

Adventuring Gear

image.png.f0d6c3f06904ae3c5f3ae9b3c114c442.pngRustic Hide Armor, Med. Shield, Holy Symbol, Assorted Clothing

Spear, Short Sword, Battle Axe, Footman's Mace,

Backpack, Large Sack, Winter Blanket, Flint & Steel, Whetstone, Rope, Winesink, Dry Rations (Wk), Torches (10),

Donkey "Jenny", Pack Saddle, Bit & Bridle, Hunting Dog "Dancer"

image.png.dba79c6631cc5aafc9f1c12676d811a8.png

Edited by rauhric (see edit history)

Kordannaghlan Penniesaver (gnome f2/th3) AC 09 Hp 16 short bow thac0 19

"If we're not going down to scout the tunnel, i can take the watch." The gnome sets up where he can watch the area as well as the hole, preferably on something solid, like rock. He holds his bow ready, an arrow notched but slack.

Edited by cybersavant (see edit history)

Though it takes a few of you, you manage to drag the corpse of the creature over to the burrow and you unceremoniously dump it into the hole. Once that's complete, the hounds begin to settle as well, giving you at least some hope that the danger may have passed. You double the watches, giving priority to the spellcasters in the group so that they might get enough undisturbed rest to replenish their magical energies by morning. Jack, possessed of the keenest ears in the group, takes up a position near the hole in the hopes that he might be alerted if any new danger approaches.

Fortunately, the rest of the night passes without incidence. There are a few odd noises throughout the night which alert the guards, but no threat ever reveals itself. You awaken from your sleep but feel unrested, as the adrenaline from the attack made it hard to achieve truly restful sleep. Nevertheless, the mages and priests of the group are recuperated enough to conduct their morning studies and rituals.

As the light of the morning sun peeks through the canopy, you can see that in this section of forest, there are several odd trails of mounded dirt that crisscross the forest floor--more signs of the network of burrows used by the creatures. You are keen to leave that threat behind you and hastily break camp, eager to reach the River Ashaba.

image.png.2a7defc78e38d638df33bc0f0857c91d.png

You reach the River Ashaba after about two hours of travel in the morning--according to the map, this marks the the halfway point of your journey through Cormanthor, giving you a clear path to follow to exit the forest. If you push, you should be able to reach the road by nightfall. Though the banks are slippery and muddy, you're able to easily access the river to refill waterskins and allow the horses to drink their fill.

There is a sudden cry of alarm as Jack points to a nearby tree. What looked like empty branches in the shadows is actually revealed to be several bleached bones, some still connected by dried ligaments, others lashed together in crude skeletal forms with bits of dried gut string. Some of them are clearly human or elven, though these are few compared to the number of broken animal bones and antlers.

image.png.84ec036ac5b8fc4e1654010cafafe7e2.png

Immediately on guard, you search your bank of the river and scan the opposite bank for signs of threat. There are none to be seen, but you find a few other similar grisly totems. Lirion, Valandil and Kordannaghlan look at one another, knowing these for what they are--territory markers for a goblinoid clan. It is likely that they lair nearby and haste should be made if you wish to avoid them. As nocturnal creatures, they are likely in their lair now, though the presence of guards or patrols should you get too close to the lair itself is high.

OOC: Pausing here in case you want to investigate further or take any additional actions/precautions before continuing your trip along the river.

Edited by Sellsword (see edit history)

"Well, I'm glad we decided to travel through the really safe forest instead of the dangerous one!"

"Still, looking on the bright side... if we do run into a bunch of goblins they might be persuaded to join us against the undead hordes. You never know!"