Marqued Letters (main OOC)

dalamb

Something I'm wondering; why is Andaron giving letters of marque and reprisal out, when the new king of Iverina is seeking a ceasefire? Is it a sort of reparations thing, Andaron seeking to take wealth from Iverina to pay for losses caused by the war, or is it a case of Andaron fearing war and seeking to mobilize and rebuild its navy via captured prize ships? Or are there other reasons or a mix of reasons?

Iverina lacks war funds, and Andaron lacks manpower, so officially they've decided to shake hands, but both very much are trying to recover their strength or impede the other's recovery. They've essentially agreed to stand still until they've both got a second wind. Andaron's way of doing this is to contract freebooters to harass Iverna's efforts to recover economically, while Iverina presumably doesn't have money to throw around to retaliate? But if they can secure money somehow, either through a dowry or a trade deal with a third party, they may strike back eventually. That would allow Andaron to accuse Iverina of violating the ceasefire first, even though Andaron have most certainly violated the ceasefire in the spirit if not the letter of the agreement.

If I have read it correctly.

Given all the house rules, I figure we need 3-4 weeks for a game ad to run, and I'd like to wait on posting the ad until we've had a few days for current participants to get started with their character threads as a way to debug the process just a little bit more (though I'm sure there will be plenty more discussion after the ad; 3.5e gestalt, even with house rules, might be a very attractive game).

Then I'd need a few days to go over completed applications, and another few days (maybe a week?) for people to make final adjustments and for me to do any updates to the first scenario that seem appropriate based on the accepted characters (given their secret "hooks").

Does this seem reasonable?

It seems common for people to have two "end of application" dates: one for posting a starting thread to indicate interest, and one hard deadline for completion of applications. I am not entirely sure why there isn't just a single hard deadline. What do you think?

When do you foresee starting the IC discussion in The Purple Dolphin?

Will it run in parallel with the 3-4 weeks application period, or be lagged at all? Just trying to get a handle on how long before something happens to get involved in.

I currently plan that it will go up just after the ad, which in turn should be just a few more days after I have had a bit of time to see if your early applications reveal any new problems.

I completely understand the interest of these pre-IC game thread for the DM (including as selection criterion), but:

• making it last 4 weeks is a bit long in my opinion: with no plot input, things can get stale
  • most importantly, the RP can get quite messy with many applicants (8+) since you can't react to everybody else.

Personally, I'll aim to participate in it near the end of the recruitment period, if that's OK. 😇

Edited by namo (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, dalamb said:

I currently plan that it will go up just after the ad, which in turn should be just a few more days after I have had a bit of time to see if your early applications reveal any new problems.

Cool! Shouldn't have long to wait then. 😊

Yeah, I for one greatly dislike those pregame RPs... they can be a good way to "find your character's voice" so to speak, but they almost always feel very contrived, with zero plot and an excess of people which make it hard to have proper meaningful interactions. Also not appropriate, necessarily, for all characters, depending specifically on your background and personality.

@namo: I understand your point of view, but in pre-game IC one doesn't need to interact with absolutely everyone. Yes, it does get messy (I've been in a few), but since the main point is to give me an idea of how you write and interact with others, a few posts back-and-forth could be enough (along with the prose you write in your background section in your application).

I wasn't sure about 4 weeks versus 3, nor whether to have separate "post interest by X, finish application by Y" deadlines. I can shorten things a bit; I'd like to think there will be plenty of interest fairly quickly.

20 minutes ago, dalamb said:

I wasn't sure about 4 weeks versus 3, nor whether to have separate "post interest by X, finish application by Y" deadlines. I can shorten things a bit; I'd like to think there will be plenty of interest fairly quickly.

I think it would be entirely reasonable for you to shorten it a bit, considering you are looking for people able to maintain a 3/week posting rate. Anyone who cannot get a character finished in 3 weeks is probably going to struggle with that.

I obviously missed that bit about the Purple Dolphin. I typically don't even apply to games which require pre-game ICs these days, just based on how much I dislike them... a single post is not so difficult, but it depends on how much someone is actually going to care about that. Also, again, depends on the characters and the premise of the thread.