Marqued Letters (main OOC)

dalamb

My understanding is that the Captain of the Swift Vengeance is recruiting new officers and crew at the Purple Dolphin, so to my mind it makes perfect sense in the context of the game. This preliminary phase is our chance to role-play our characters through the actual job interview, where the Captain is going to be making choices about who gets recruited and who doesn't. I've not seen it done like this before but I think it fits well here.

I'm hoping dalamb will include enough structure and NPC interaction for it to flow nicely and give people things to spark off and respond to. Otherwise, you might be right and it could become just a bunch of PCs all trying to shout the loudest over one another. I guess it'll be up to those of us who go for it to make sure that doesn't happen.

@dalamb Your recent announcement about the likely timescale for recruitment etc contains an anomaly.

You say recruitment will be for around 3 weeks, ending on March 1. But that's only just over one week. The other dates noted are based off this one, so is it the 3 weeks that is wrong or all the other dates out by a fortnight?

@Lord Foul: fixed; I have no idea how I came up with those original dates. I must not have had enough coffee yet.

There will be some structure to the Purple Dragon post, though less than for a regular in-game thread since it doesn't seem right to force everyone to serialize their conversations to just focus on interviews with the captain. The first time I ran this, two players wrote backgrounds assuming they were already part of the crew (which, if they weren't accepted, would have meant they decided to Move On after this round of hiring), so they would presumably not need to interview and could just converse. I have in mind one or two former NPC crew members who are Moving On could chat about past adventures.

4 minutes ago, dalamb said:

I have no idea how I came up with those original dates. I must not have had enough coffee yet.

Now your 3 weeks has become 4 weeks. Time to put the coffee pot on again?

I think he's using a 2x2 table with the picture completely occupying the top right cell. You can click on the three dots in the top right of the post to access the clone option and post it to a thread you can modify and then view the source.

9 hours ago, Fallout_Monkey said:

I think he's using a 2x2 table with the picture completely occupying the top right cell. You can click on the three dots in the top right of the post to access the clone option and post it to a thread you can modify and then view the source.

Um... you had me up to the clone wars and then I got lost in the source code! I'm a bit crap with all this 21st century stuff. I need a very simple guide to follow.

I used a table in the original version of the game description, but I later discovered that you don’t need it. You can paste an image directly into a post, whereupon it becomes an attachment you can refer to in other posts. Then you can double click to get a menu to edit properties of the image, such as shrinking its size and making it appear on the left or right of the post.

The table trick is sometimes useful (a 1x2 or 2x2 depending on how many regions you want), but you have to remember to put something in some cell in each column because putting anything (especially a large image) into a cell compresses empty columns to where they are hard to click on to enter anything.

No reason it doesn't, anyway. Way I read it, if you swap the order of who Garth spoke to:

• You entered, moved passed Garth while he was occupied with someone else, and lay down.
  • I entered, spoke to Garth, then wandered off. Garth noticed you and called you over.
  • I started speaking to the other recruits while you head up.

Which means our conversations are going on at the same time, and mine'll probably still be ongoing when you're done with Garth should you want to interject.

Edit: ignore me entirely, missed that Garth had his eye on you from the beginning. Eh, we do what we can and have fun

Edited by Arbuthnott (see edit history)