Marqued Letters (main OOC)

dalamb

I certainly do hope player characters interact with each other.

A general note: I tend to want to relax more on weekends than during the week, even though I'm retired and there is less difference between one day and the next. So I may (or may not) respond a little more slowly today and tomorrow than during the week.

15 hours ago, rorytheromulan said:

Absolutely, I hope we can get some interactions in between Player Characters as well.

Never fear! We have 3 weeks of this. Plenty of time for everybody to meet each other and chat.

I'm just dealing with some preliminary business before I come up and join you ladies in the waiting room. 😊

Pre-game IC tends to get a little crowded...oh well.

How much of work would be needed to be done before jumping in there, just enough of an idea of what the character is going to be like to be able to string some IC together based on what's in my head?

8 hours ago, dalamb said:

A general note: I tend to want to relax more on weekends than during the week, even though I'm retired and there is less difference between one day and the next. So I may (or may not) respond a little more slowly today and tomorrow than during the week.

Sure sure

I am online for an uncertain amount of time today, probably in a bunch of disconnected chunks, and am probably not going to make hard decisions today (it's Sunday, after all). So I plan to respond to messages in the various discussion groups that are easy for me, and start a list of open issues in all three categories (house rules, confusing RAW, and character creation).

There have been complaints that the Purple Dolphin thread might get chaotic. Do you want multiple topics for separate conversations? Seems to me that would be equally confusing but I know some campaigns would occasionally do that on OGMW.

There are a lot of applications now, some from people I know have produced very good characters in past campaigns I’ve run or played in, so I imagine the acceptance choice is going to be difficult even if half the applications are never finished. I was originally planning to restart a couple of my older campaigns, in sequence, as each got well established, but now I’m mulling over starting a second ship (perhaps the one Garth and others of the experienced crew are moving to), at around the time I would have revived the second campaign on my list. It wouldn’t be able to start until at least a few weeks after the Swift Vengeance group got started, but could start earlier than the other, more work-intensive options. I could avoid an advertising period or open a very short (re-)application period.

Don’t think of the second ship as “the booby prize” since I might have to turn down some very good characters for the first ship, for party balance reasons, though I hate having to do that.

Let me know what you think.

14 minutes ago, dalamb said:

There have been complaints that the Purple Dolphin thread might get chaotic. Do you want multiple topics for separate conversations? Seems to me that would be equally confusing but I know some campaigns would occasionally do that on OGMW.

I don't think multiple topics would help. I also don't think there's really a problem with the set-up as you have it. There are only 16 applications underway at present, at various stages, so it seems likely there'll be a fairly steady trickle of new folk turning up at the Dolphin. Those of us who got an early start will be able to engage with newcomers to help them get started in conversations, and people can mingle to meet as many others as possible.

It all sounds like a lot of good role-playing fun, and if there is any chaos involved that'll be perfectly in keeping with the actual in-game situation you've set up, i.e. a busy inn full of people all talking about getting recruited to a famous ship. Who wouldn't want to grab a piece of that action? ☺️

Seems sensible. It'll make things easier for the applicants as well who have a character type and build they like that is close to somebody's else's - it won't be such a me vs. them situation.

4 minutes ago, dalamb said:

There are a lot of applications now, some from people I know have produced very good characters in past campaigns I’ve run or played in, so I imagine the acceptance choice is going to be difficult even if half the applications are never finished. I was originally planning to restart a couple of my older campaigns, in sequence, as each got well established, but now I’m mulling over starting a second ship (perhaps the one Garth and others of the experienced crew are moving to), at around the time I would have revived the second campaign on my list. It wouldn’t be able to start until at least a few weeks after the Swift Vengeance group got started, but could start earlier than the other, more work-intensive options. I could avoid an advertising period or open a very short (re-)application period.

Don’t think of the second ship as “the booby prize” since I might have to turn down some very good characters for the first ship, for party balance reasons, though I hate having to do that.

Edited by Thramzorean (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, dalamb said:

I'm ambivalent to this. On the one hand I can see how it might solve your problem of having too many good applicants for one game. On the other hand I'm sad that this would inevitably further delay your underground adventure. At the end of the day it is entirely your call. You do what works best for you, and that'll be fine.

I forgot that some people on the interest group preferred the underground adventure, and at this point I do eventually want to restart the others (though, of course, my preferences could evolve over time). I suppose if you are accepted into Campaign 1 I could consider that a tie-breaker factor in Campaign 2, though I'm not especially comfortable with that.

2 hours ago, dalamb said:

I would simply be aware of it and address the issue if it becomes an issue.

Have had experiences where a pre-game IC got flooded by people, and some got loads more screentime because they happened to be online at the same time as some other people, and then the guy my PC was chatting up went poof and such.

I think having more than one IC might very well be a good idea (though it might be worth waiting and seeing how it turns out). Obviously I'm not a fan of pregame ICs in general but one of the reasons is having a whole bunch of people in there at once all trying to have concurrent conversations, and they often form up into groups anyway except that sometimes people "overhear" with no regard for how plausible that actually is. And then of course you've got this running at the same time as they application phase so anyone who finishes off later will have to insert themselves into this jumble (it's not so bad when you're in the first few).

(I totally get the desire to see people RP in-character, I just don't think that these - typically - are all that representative of actual gameplay; the group size is one of the things that will be different once the game for real starts)

2 hours ago, dalamb said:

No! It's totally fine. We'll cross that bridge if we have to later. I don't foresee it becoming a danger or a significant hindrance.

I see on the game page that a couple of you have "requested acesss" but I can't find out what kind of access that means. Are these requests to join the game? Something else?