Character creation discussion

dalamb

I read ii as meaning you may destroy some or all of the structure as long as you do not kill the people protected by the structure. So you can fireball the side of the hull if you reasonably expect it won't kill the people inside of it.

The Subdual metamagic feat also appears in Book of Exalted Deeds. But I find it strange it's limited to energy damage (you couldn't apply it to Magic Missile or many other spells), so if I get selected I plan on raising up this topic with dalamb.
I picked up Subdual Strike myself, since as an Exalted character I think it's hard to justify much of the corsair way of life (you can't know that Ivaroni are evil before you attack them; in fact many probably won't be), so at least he won't deal any lethal damage. But that's not an issue for non-Exalted characters, I'd think.

Edited by namo (see edit history)

Are we saying it’s supposed to be the blasting rather than the structures that are protecting people from death? Right now it doesn’t read like that.

6 hours ago, TheFred said:

Are we saying it’s supposed to be the blasting rather than the structures that are protecting people from death? Right now it doesn’t read like that.

Ah, you're right - grammatically, it's the structures that should be protective, with little stated about the blasting. The rule basically states we can use WWDs against structures only if those structures protect life. Why one might blast seems irrelevant, with no justification required.

That interpretation, however, would fly in the face of other Laws of War verbiage. It would make the rule antithetical to its overarching purpose of preventing wanton destruction and unnecessary loss of life. The whole idea of rule (i), for example, is to protect life - not encourage risk of life loss. The interpretation above can't possibly have been what dalamb intended... Can it?

(Now doubting my understanding of the universe...)

So, we now know the identity of the sneaky, hidden character.

Not a great way to endear oneself to one's prospective teammates, but it takes all sorts, I suppose.

6 hours ago, Lord Foul said:

So, we now know the identity of the sneaky, hidden character.

Not a great way to endear oneself to one's prospective teammates, but it takes all sorts, I suppose.

I'm not sure how to respond to that. If I've offended you in some way I apologise. That wasn't my intention.

44 minutes ago, Barrigan said:

I'm not sure how to respond to that. If I've offended you in some way I apologise. That wasn't my intention.

I thought Lord Foul was upset with me or TheFred...

19 minutes ago, Sundust said:

Oh, maybe I was wrong. Either way, I'm here to have fun, not upset people so the apology stands.

@8w_gremlin

My character Althea is also from Crendu, but she is more closely affiliated with the druids of the island. Is it possible she and Manny know each other? I might walk her up to you if we can make something up.

Currently what I've got is her healing the crew of the Swift Vengeance after they moored to seek help from the druids. Could we say Althea sometimes visited Manny's tribe for emergencies and traded meat for salves and other goods with Maika'i?

dalamb, I would like to ask if I could take the feat Darkstalker from Lords of Madness page 179. It is specifically about sneaking up on foes with senses very different from a humanoid. Quotara is very good at stealth, having skill focus in both Hide and Move Silently, so taking a feat to be able to sneak up on Sharks, Killer Whales, Jellyfish, Dolphins, and anything from the depths that doesn't hunt with eyes.

34 minutes ago, whitelancer said:

dalamb, I would like to ask if I could take the feat Darkstalker from Lords of Madness page 179. It is specifically about sneaking up on foes with senses very different from a humanoid. Quotara is very good at stealth, having skill focus in both Hide and Move Silently, so taking a feat to be able to sneak up on Sharks, Killer Whales, Jellyfish, Dolphins, and anything from the depths that doesn't hunt with eyes.

Huh, I overlooked that sharks have blindsense and porpoises/whales have blindsight. Though I note that shark blindsense (and sahuagin blindsense) only extend to 30 ft, so if you grabbed the Rapid Swimming feat or used the Wings of the Sea spell, you could probably catch them by surprise.
Cetacean blindsight is 120 ft., making it harder to get close to them, but they can be fooled by a Silence spell, or...out of curiosity, @dalamb, could Resist Energy (sonic) be used to 'absorb' echolocation and sneak up on a creature using it?

14 hours ago, Barrigan said:

You haven't offended me at all, so absolutely no need for an apology.

I was just reflecting that, by making your character invisible to all the other players, that suggests you have something you want to keep hidden from us, which is unlikely to engender much trust between our respective characters. In a game where a key selection criterion is the ability to get along with each other and act as a team, that could be somewhat counterproductive.

But I have no issue with you personally, nor anyone else around here, so I apologise in return if it came across that way.

12 hours ago, Sundust said:

Really? What did I do or say to give you that impression?

I have a peculiarly British sense of humour (rather dry and tending to the sarcastic), and I know my attempts at humour sometimes run into Titanic-like issues crossing the Atlantic. If it was one of these then I can only apologise, as I certainly have not been upset by you at any time here.

9 minutes ago, Lord Foul said:

You haven't offended me at all, so absolutely no need for an apology.

I was just reflecting that, by making your character invisible to all the other players, that suggests you have something you want to keep hidden from us, which is unlikely to engender much trust between our respective characters. In a game where a key selection criterion is the ability to get along with each other and act as a team, that could be somewhat counterproductive.

But I have no issue with you personally, nor anyone else around here, so I apologise in return if it came across that way.

That's good to hear! I don't think trust between characters would be affected though. Most of them have never met before anyway and all they know about each other is what they observe or learn through talking to each other at the inn.

If anything it would be trust between players which would be affected but hopefully I can assuage any concerns by saying I'm absolutely committed to the crew and there will be no betrayal or evil laughter at some crucial moment. My character is Lawful Good, just like his archon familiar and is absolutely a team player.