Character creation discussion

dalamb

7 hours ago, Avaday Daydream said:

Huh, I overlooked that sharks have blindsense and porpoises/whales have blindsight.

Also shark scent is very powerful if injured, not to mention the feat being very useful against spellcasters with such vision types, or druids that wildshape into them, or aberrations in general as the feat as first designed to counter. My intention in bringing up the many aquatic creatures is to prove that it is not limited to aberrations at all.

10 hours ago, rorytheromulan said:

@8w_gremlin

My character Althea is also from Crendu, but she is more closely affiliated with the druids of the island. Is it possible she and Manny know each other? I might walk her up to you if we can make something up.

Currently what I've got is her healing the crew of the Swift Vengeance after they moored to seek help from the druids. Could we say Althea sometimes visited Manny's tribe for emergencies and traded meat for salves and other goods with Maika'i?

oh yeah, that would be awesome!

love that, good connection between us, and very happy to have it!
What do you suggest, I'm pretty much a "yes, and.." player so happy for you to come up with something.

3 hours ago, 8w_gremlin said:

What do you suggest, I'm pretty much a "yes, and.." player so happy for you to come up with something.

Ok! So Bariaurs have little use for meat, only their rangers will hunt, so they can trade the excess with anybody, and we can say that they mainly barter what they can for components and artifacts with the village trader. He probably gets to buy components and other luxuries from Lirael that are rarely found on the island, like precious stones. During a lean times for Crendu, Althea comes on behalf of the druids for some ritual components, and Maika'i could have said, "take my buddy on a hunt, bring back something big, then maybe I can part with this" and we can say it was some amber dust. So she meets Manny who is a seasoned fighter, doesn't think much of her right away, but she stays focused and together they rouse a massive hog from hibernation (like a Polynesian wild boar, but fantasy-sized) and bag it for the tribe, and that impresses him. It's not the first time their tribes have collaborated, but for the two of them it is the first of several. Althea learns a few things from Manny, and he learns a bit from her. We have overlap in a few skills.

7 hours ago, rorytheromulan said:

Ok! So Bariaurs have little use for meat, only their rangers will hunt, so they can trade the excess with anybody, and we can say that they mainly barter what they can for components and artifacts with the village trader. He probably gets to buy components and other luxuries from Lirael that are rarely found on the island, like precious stones. During a lean times for Crendu, Althea comes on behalf of the druids for some ritual components, and Maika'i could have said, "take my buddy on a hunt, bring back something big, then maybe I can part with this" and we can say it was some amber dust. So she meets Manny who is a seasoned fighter, doesn't think much of her right away, but she stays focused and together they rouse a massive hog from hibernation (like a Polynesian wild boar, but fantasy-sized) and bag it for the tribe, and that impresses him. It's not the first time their tribes have collaborated, but for the two of them it is the first of several. Althea learns a few things from Manny, and he learns a bit from her. We have overlap in a few skills.

Sounds perfect, I love the Pua’a hunting, great bonding moment. Manny has a little magic and perhaps he saw Althea as a teacher of magic when he got to know her, given her divine connection to Ehlonna. One thing you would pick up about Manny is that he's pretty much happy all the time, and very open and optimistic, even though he looks grumpy and stoic, but only when he comes to know you.

On 3/13/2024 at 3:22 PM, Lord Foul said:

So, we now know the identity of the sneaky, hidden character.

Not a great way to endear oneself to one's prospective teammates, but it takes all sorts, I suppose.

I'm still working through all that was posted since Thursday; if there is any controversy I need to intervene with, that's one of the few appropriate times to send me a PM, since I get notified via gmail fairly quickly.

Edit: OK, so this seems to be about the fact that I gave a few people permission to post private apps, and have been posting a few private tags in some people's public character threads. Plus, there are the required private plot hooks.

On 2/12/2024 at 5:08 PM, dalamb said:

* If you have some strong reason for making your thread private, PM me and we can talk about it, but bear in mind your thread (or a copy of the critical parts of it) must become public if you are accepted.

I will stick with this, and much of what was in the private applications will appear in redacted copies for accepted characters. Please blame me instead of the potential player if this (mostly temporary) privacy is upsetting.

Edit 2: Apparently there was no harm, no foul, and maybe I should to read the whole thread before responding to things.

On 3/14/2024 at 6:36 AM, whitelancer said:

dalamb, I would like to ask if I could take the feat Darkstalker from Lords of Madness page 179. It is specifically about sneaking up on foes with senses very different from a humanoid. Quotara is very good at stealth, having skill focus in both Hide and Move Silently, so taking a feat to be able to sneak up on Sharks, Killer Whales, Jellyfish, Dolphins, and anything from the depths that doesn't hunt with eyes.

I have turned down quite a few requests for material from unlisted sources, but I did say it was OK to ask about feats. However, I think in addition to turning down a few feat requests, I've also always turned down stuff from supplements I don't own. If I goofed on something I don't mind y'all pointing it out.

On 3/14/2024 at 11:40 PM, Barrigan said:

I'm almost certain I saw something saying traits and flaws were banned but I can't put my finger on it now.

I said nothing about traits and flaws, and in fact forgot about them. I will add to the character creation directions that they're allowed, but flaws will come up to your disadvantage in play, as time and plot permit, and flaws that don't actually hurt are inappropriate (e.g. Noncombatant is a no-no for a primarily ranged character).

On 3/14/2024 at 12:03 PM, Lord Foul said:

I have a peculiarly British sense of humour (rather dry and tending to the sarcastic), and I know my attempts at humour sometimes run into Titanic-like issues crossing the Atlantic.

I'm Canadian but of British descent (2nd generation on that side), so I've sometimes had the same issue.

31 minutes ago, bloodsprite said:

@dalambThere is some discussion as to my race VODYANOI for Rib Lilysigner , do you have any direction or rulings?

I got it from
Dragon Magazine #352
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~-kAAOSwvu1kc~m~/s-l1600.jpg

He said in your character thread that it is not an allowed source. Sorry.