Character Creation - Rules and Q&A

Penchant

Yeah I'm much more interested in who your players are. They are the ones who are actually going to be in the game. Character backgrounds are incidental and not really important.

@m3owdy @Azure Kestrel You're welcome!

6 hours ago, m3owdy said:

I'll have to study your post source and try my hand at it sometime.

That's a great way to go. I have background in HTML and CSS from years and years back, which helps, but there's always been great stuff on MW for me to study and learn from for this particular usecase (sheet-posts).

2 hours ago, Penchant said:

Yeah I'm much more interested in who your players are. They are the ones who are actually going to be in the game. Character backgrounds are incidental and not really important.

I was thinking about this while working on Biscuit, and it's a bit of a mindbender and could do with some clarification once you've selected your players. For instance it's unclear which parts of our sheets other player characters know about within Dynasty.

The "real-world" writeups probably not. You likely wouldn't know someone's life situation or real name in an MMO.

Calling, Rank, Allegiance, Hearts, etc.. possibly?

"Username" / "callsign" / etc, absolutely. It's pretty standard to see it in multiplayer games.

Biscuit's Identity / Description for example is written purely for OOC purposes, for us players to better understand what stereotype I'm going for, but if it's decided that there is an in-Dynasty "player bio" that contains the Description field I would want to use a different text for that one. I'm not actually even sure if Tala would know to enter anything there 😅

In that vein, how immersive is the VR? Will it feel like being there? Only some senses? AR HUD? No HUD?

P.s. I'm thinking about a small rewrite to pitch more of an obsessive fan character, since I have overlap with another PC's backstory.

Who you really are only you would know. People would only be able to see your username and general status (hearts and current effects) and make assumptions based on your character appearance.

You are going to be transported directly into the game and inhabit the bodies of your character avatars. You will not be able to leave or log out. It will seem and be real. You will have a HUD and there will be visible video game artifacts that your character can see like other people's names and who is a quest giver and such. Otherwise it will seem realistic.

Edited by Penchant (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Azure Kestrel said:

In that vein, how immersive is the VR? Will it feel like being there? Only some senses? AR HUD? No HUD?

I was thinking about this, too. At one point Tala's background referred to a "VR headset", but then I figured the interface needs to be some kind of neural thing like in Sword Art Online to "take over" the players' consciousness. A VR headset can just be removed no issue.

1 minute ago, Cairo said:

I was thinking about this, too. At one point Tala's background referred to a "VR headset", but then I figured the interface needs to be some kind of neural thing like in Sword Art Online to "take over" the players' consciousness. A VR headset can just be removed no issue.

People can access the game with a variety of interfaces whether it's a vr headset or just a screen. Imagine it's a magical effect where your consciousness gets transferred to the game. How that happens is part of the plot of course.

7 hours ago, Penchant said:

Dang, I guess will tuck that IC persona away and save it for the next adventure. On the other hand poor Mercurius is trapped in a tiny woman's body. There will be Hijinks. Oh, and blood.

4 hours ago, rorytheromulan said:

Dang, I guess will tuck that IC persona away and save it for the next adventure. On the other hand poor Mercurius is trapped in a tiny woman's body. There will be Hijinks. Oh, and blood.

Yep and there's the fun of the game right there 😉

Alright, it looks like new apps have dwindled out so I've removed the ad. I'll start going through characters and have choices by late Friday. The first IC thread will be up late Friday or Saturday.

I'm really excited by what I've seen so far.

I mean, if I didn't know better about my own time availability I would have applied. At least now I know that the game system exists to be read about.

Side note, whom here that applied has watched Sword art online abridged?

I mean, the invitation is nice but I will still be abstaining. I have burned myself before (and lost waaay too much sleep) trying to learn a new system that quickly and make a character in any sort of cohesive fashion.

Which is sad cause in finding the kickstarter online I immediately saw Chibi race and wanted to learn more, but I can't seem to find a pdf to read through. Also, playing a person that is going through the SAO style isekai situation sounds so tempting, but I stand by my choice.

If someone can point me to a pdf I will be more than willing to be on stand-by with a PC to come along.