The Purple Dolphin Inn

dalamb

4 hours ago, dalamb said:

OOC

Garth

GarthStormchaser.jpg.92f048dce8abec5ae3615e40283a0f33.jpgGarth writes down some of what Althea says, but not all; hiss handwriting is illegible, so it is hard to see exactly what he records and what he leaves out. Finally he looks her in the eye, with what might be a wry grin, and asks, “Goddess of the Woodlands, you say? How does she feel about your taking to the high seas? Will there be a problem with your spells?”

1 hour ago, Havelock said:
Flavinia

She casts her eyes over the Bariaur and decides to just make the leap, if they wouldn't tolerate her whims and wits, she shouldn't be signing on with this lot. "Hind legs, I really could use a pair of those at the end of the night!" She flashes a mischievous grin as she tips her hat in greetings, her voice almost singing. "I'm Flavinia, by the by, but everyone calls me Vinnie, especially when drunk" By the way she seems very particular in the emphasis of the slow pronunciation of her name, that last part is not hard to imagine the need to shorten it.

bariaurfemalecrop.jpg.7ad5343b6fda485a637cd8b35fc7fa71.jpg

Althea

(Garth)

"Oh, whether Ehlonna disapproves, my friend in the Circle of the Land hasn't yet received an answer in his divining rituals. Truth be told, The Lady hasn't answered on matters related to my future or Her will for me. My hope is that I may find it while I travel with you. If I don't, then maybe Her plan will manifest on the mainland? Would the Captain be willing to keep me on for that long?"

(Flavinia)

The icebreaker sounds flirtatious to Althea, and she gives the human freebooter a squint before answering. "Well," she starts slowly, trying to think, "for me, it would take me a little longer than some, longer than one of your kind. No hind legs, no barrel, and all that. And when I am drunk, I sure wish they helped, but they get just as wobbly as front. I'm Althea."

She glances toward the table, and back. "I'm not in the way, am I?"

OOC: 

Edited by rorytheromulan
Added a link to character thread (see edit history)

10 hours ago, TheBard101 said:

When the lady spoke up, Thorvald looked her up and down without shame. "Well, you're just my size." He winks.

2.jpg.4719b38472b5d6adbaef7906ad61c001.jpg

Ħraan Evermeer

Ħraan lets out a startled guffaw before downing the last of her drink.. just in time to be tossed a second by Bart. Using the ale in a mock salute, she adds "I'll drink to that." And then she does so.

"So, boys, what brings the both of you here; divine winds notwithstanding? The Swift Vengeance is a mighty nice ship an' all, but there must have been opportunities closer to home?"

Flavinia
spacer.png

"I am going to have to use magic to keep up, aren't I?. " Flavinia quips in response to Althea's comment of extra body mass and a sideways glance towards the giants. In more things than just drinking games, probably. "Maybe except up into the riggings."

Flavinia
spacer.png

"If by 'talented' you mean 'can do it while looking good', I am a woman of a great many talents!" Flavinia grins widely. "Though I do not think the monkey would have enough patience to listen to me get as far down the list of what I am capable of to talk about climbing rope ladders, no."

"I probably could tie some ropes together to make you a lift for whenever you draw lookout duty."

Althea

Althea ponders the idea, then shakes her head. "Only if you mop up after me when I hurl on the deck from above!"

"By the look of it, no other petitioner here shares in my plight. Maybe they'd let me send my eagle up there instead? If not, I hope the Captain likes the look of me for a healer." She glances in Garth's direction again. She'd never seen one of those before, nor did she want to take his notice with her next words. "If neither gives me an out, I might learn to plant my own straws..."

OOC: 

Thorvald Hrolfson

Thorvald Hrolfson: Stormlord of Procan

So many conversations were going on at once that Thorvald was starting to wish the gorilla would get on with the interviews. But, he was nothing if not a multitasker. The fact that there was ale around helped, of course. True, it could take a lot to get him even tipsy. But, he liked that fact. He had won plenty of silver out drinking others in the past.

"Althea, is it?" I wonder if she realizes she looks like a kitten among lions. "You'll have to meet my Gwrtheyrn someday. He is a little pet of mine that has a similar situation to you. Of course, Procan provides many feats of magic to help. I could, for example, make you fly if you like." He patted her on the shoulder, probably too hard, but the intention was friendly.

"And, Vinnie, Right?" Now there's a woman that could make a man leave the ocean for good! "I have no doubt that you and, Ħraan I believe, could outdo most of the men I've seen on ships. Heck, I will admit that, in battle, I'd probably be so slack jawed by either of you that you'd be able to draw first blood before I'd wiped my chin!" He ended with a guffaw that brought dust from the overhead beams.

Taking a smaller drink, he looked back at the Goliath, "Orcs are great for sport. But I've wrestled a giant squid before underwater. Now there's a test!" Clearing his throat, he looked around to the rest of the group and said, a little quieter perhaps, "Of course, I didn't win."

Statblock

Hide this

Conditions

Hide this

Per Day Abilities

Hide this

Lastanor Nightwater

SahuaginDDtransparent.png.25eb0739bea280163e7e1e369828781c.pngOn the city street outside the Purple Dolphin Inn, a robed figure, trying to look mysterious, stopped and looked up at the sign proclaiming the inn's name.
After a few seconds of reading, the head of their hood nodded slightly, glancing at the dog sitting just outside the inn before stepping forward and gently pushing on the door.

...Then, after a few seconds, muttering "Oh. Right." in a deep voice, before taking the handle and pulling the door open.
The robed figure held the door open for a couple of seconds, looking at the dog in case they wanted to come in, before stepping through the doorway and gently pulling the door shut behind them.

After entering, the oh-so-mysterious robe crossed their arms, evidently a tad annoyed at the sheer number of people present in the inn, before noticing the 'interviews' sign. And the human woman sitting behind it.
"Excuse me," the robed figure asked, "Would it be possible to speak to Captain Zentaru directly? I would like to discuss the possibility of hiring her ship's services."
After a beat, the figure added, "Lastanor Nightwater. And yes, I am intentionally trying to look mysterious."

Mechanics

Althea

The half-goat woman's upper half is shook by the hearty smack, but the rest of her body absorbs the shock with the perks of her heritage. She gives a polite cough and lets it go without a word, which aids in concealing her awe at the height of this human - or was there some non-human blood mixed in, she wonders?

She tilts head at the confession of defeat that followed his boast, and asks, "'Of course'? But you are here. Did your god Procan intervene?" as if ready to take Thorvald at his word.

OOC:

Thorvald Hrolfson

Thorvald Hrolfson: Stormlord of Procan

He looked at the goat lady conspiratorially and cleared his throat. "Actually, my team did. There's a lot to be said about half a dozen crossbow and two ballista bolts to even the odds." He looked a little distant at the memory.

Statblock

Hide this

Conditions

Hide this

Per Day Abilities

Hide this

Blink-Dog-Adventures-in-the-Forgotten-Realms-MtG-Art_OrianaMenendez-318931858.jpg.30409e3bbeff0bec756d0f2a3640e499.jpg

Adalmar

The dog follows the cloaked stranger into the tavern.
He takes in the smells - beef stew and alcohol are dominant, with sweat a close third, then the chicken broth, spices, perfumes, and of course salt. He almost recoils at the loud sounds from the common area, for he's not used to them anymore: the tables rattling, the raucous laughs and shouts for attention, the din of cutlery on plates or bowls.

Turning his attention to the sign, he reads it attentively, from behind the cloaked man. His ears perk up.

But he waits for his turn patiently. He knows how to bide his time.

Lastanor Nightwater

After a beat, the figure added, "Lastanor Nightwater. And yes, I am intentionally trying to look mysterious."

From behind Lastanor comes a dubious "Mphhhh".

If the figure turns to see where it came from, it sees the dog appearing simply expectant then, noticing the attention, it barks once in a friendly manner - it comes out higher-pitched than could perhaps be expected.

OOC

By the way, Knowledge: Arcana DC 21 to recognize a Blink Dog (I don't know what Adalmar's CR is, but I'm going to say 11.)

I'm making it so it's not immediately clear the dog said it, but it's no big deal if Lastanor realizes it at once; it might depend on his Listen skill.

Edited by namo (see edit history)

Lothar Heirutsson

image.png.6c757b1e762af7713bcf0c9c741bb280.pngAmong the patrons sat a short and lean blond man, his fingers deftly adjusting an exquisitely crafted lyre made of rosewood, adorned with silver-plated runes that gleamed in the tavern's dim light. He sat not far from a group of adventurers, engrossed in their lively discussions of past exploits. Though his focus appeared to be on his task, his ears were tuned keenly to the tales being spun, hanging on every word with rapt attention.

It wasn't that he believed every boastful exaggeration; rather, he sought to capture the essence of their adventures, mining them for the raw material of his craft. Each detail, no matter how small, was a thread to be woven into the tapestry of a new song or story, destined to be immortalized in his repertoire. The tales seemed epic to him, brimming with the potential to inspire and embolden those who dared to face the perils of the world.

Addressing the towering Varshadian warrior with a smooth, melodious voice tinged with a hint of dramatic flair, he interjected, "You, great warrior of the sea, you spin grand tales with scant details. I am certain they are worthy of being sung and told, to echo even in the darkest corners of this world, igniting courage in the hearts of those who confront its dangers and battles."

He paused, allowing the warrior, and any other interested listeners, to turn their attention to him before continuing. "If you would be so kind, I would like to capture and share these stories. Especially the one of your struggle against the vile squid—you didn't win the grappling challenge against the creature, but did it meet is demise in the end? Could you spare more details of this particular tale, how it happened until the culmitation ? I am certain it would make a most captivating song."

Genuine sincerity and passion shone in his eyes as he made the request, his reverence for tales and stories evident in every word. He waited patiently, his anticipation tinged with hope, for the warrior's response, whether it be acceptance or refusal.

Edited by Harding (see edit history)

2.jpg.4719b38472b5d6adbaef7906ad61c001.jpg

Ħraan Evermeer

Overlooked by the giants as they turn towards other conversations, Ħraan waits a few moments before sighing, downing her drink and slipping away unobtrusively as the bard grabs everyone's attention. Making eye contact with Garth, she shakes her empty flagon and heads downstairs for a refill.

Nodding absently to herself as she reviews her competition and potential crewmates, she vaguely takes in the swell of bodies packing the dining hall before a shock of blonde hair catches her attention. Unable to resist a grin, she deftly pushes through the crowd towards the patron's table and has already started saying "Koran, you daft bugger, what're you..." before stuttering off embarrassingly.

With a few startled blinks, she shrugs and pulls up a chair opposite Dorian; in for a copper, I suppose. "Hey there, pretty boy. Tell me you're crewin' for the Swift Vengeance."

Edited by Arbuthnott (see edit history)

Situational Awareness

Status (as best I understand it) when I started composing the following responses:

Upstairs Room (officer interviews)

• Checked in

• Hraan

• Not checked in, didn’t speak to Garth

• Flavinia

• Lothar

• @Harding’s unidentified character

• Spoke to Garth but not actually checked in

• Bart

• Thorvald

• Althea has just left for downstairs, having checked in with Garth

Downstairs, speaking to or near door guard

• Lastanor

• Adalmar (dog)

Downstairs Back Room (crew interviews)

• Dorian at a table at the side of the room, has not been upstairs

• Hraan, having checked in with Garth, sitting opposite Dorian

Garth finishes his current scribbles and looks up at Thorvald. “Thorvald. From Varshad. Does that mean there is a silent “H” before ‘Rolfson?’ I’m not especially familiar with the accent.”

Resetting the scene slightly

After picking up his ale downstairs, Bart make his way upstairs to the interview room.

At Althea’s question about how long the Captain would keep her on, Garth shakes his head, “Far be it from me to predict what they Captain’s plans might be. She keeps her cards close to her vest, that one. If you seem of value in the short term, I suppose she would take the chance she would have to re-fill your position soon.”

At the door, the woman looks speculatively at Lastanor when he asks about hiring the services of the Swift Vengeance. “Well, a bold one ye are, to ask such a thing. Never have I heard o’ the old lady workin’ for anyone else. But if ye take yer place in the lineup of officers wantin’ to hire on, I imagine she’ll listen to ye, for a little while at least.”

The door to the interview opens, and a nervous male halfling exits, followed by a tall male elf. The halfling looks around the room, shakes his head sadly, and heads out the waiting room door and down the stairs. The elf walks over to Garth, who hands him the top paper from his pile and calls out “Next!”

The Interviews

We’re going into parallel time here; there will be separate threads for each interviewee, all private, but the presumption is that these are sequential. Watch for me to create yours, which, if I do it correctly, no one but us will even see.

So it seems to me the best approach is to give you the choice

• to continue the conversations without pausing for whatever time you would be absent, or

• cease conversing until we’ve finished the actual interview thread (which I don’t anticipate being long in terms of number of posts, though that is to some extent up to you).

You are on your honour not to ‘know’ what was said in your absence if you take the second option, but it's not a big deal if you slip up (since there is a lot to keep track of in a thread like this).