Barrowmaze - OOC

cailano

That dread sensation Serpe is getting has an in-game effect.

In Barrowmaze, the power that is waking the dead is pervasive. It makes turning undead more difficult.

While inside the dungeon, you'll have to use a modified turn undead table, which I will add to the setting topic. In addition, reaching beyond that dark power to call upon Arcantryl will wear Serpe out. Every time he uses turn undead, he will take a cumulative -1 for each additional attempt.

31 minutes ago, cailano said:

You can either continue straight ahead (west) or turn to the north.

cailano, could you please verify whether this is indeed west or meant to be (east)?

45 minutes ago, cailano said:

That dread sensation Serpe is getting has an in-game effect.

In Barrowmaze, the power that is waking the dead is pervasive. It makes turning undead more difficult.

While inside the dungeon, you'll have to use a modified turn undead table, which I will add to the setting topic. In addition, reaching beyond that dark power to call upon Arcantryl will wear Serpe out. Every time he uses turn undead, he will take a cumulative -1 for each additional attempt.

Does this cumulative penalty reset after a rest?

1 hour ago, LarsWester said:

Does this cumulative penalty reset after a rest?

Yes, or after leaving Barrowmaze for a few hours.

2 hours ago, Ephkabey said:

cailano, could you please verify whether this is indeed west or meant to be (east)?

Sorry, east. I'll correct the post.

12 hours ago, cailano said:

This table is very generous by comparison to the BFRPG table, with a lvl 1 cleric turning 8/10/12 vs BFRPG at 13/17/19. The penalty obviously makes up that gap after 5-7 encounters with undead, which seems like a lot in a single rest period. So at least we have some info on what to expect. =D

The systems are different--Labyrinth Lord (the system for which Barrowmaze was designed) is 2d6 to turn undead, BFRPG is a d20. The Barrowmaze table is actually +1 to the Labyrinth Lord values on 2d6.

Hate to point out something that technically works in our favor, especially against undead, but I don't think @cailano intends for us to have an effective bonus to turn undead.

That makes a considerable difference. Here I was hoping we'd be fighting off swarms at every turn...though I don't think we rule that out quite yet. ;)

what is a standard door made of in the barrow maze? and can we assume unless the GM says otherwise that all doors are standard within the barrowmaze?

56 minutes ago, Excior said:

what is a standard door made of in the barrow maze? and can we assume unless the GM says otherwise that all doors are standard within the barrowmaze?

That's a good question. The standard door in Barrowmaze is made of thick wood, swollen with moisture. Many will be stuck—most open inward (better for kicking).

5 hours ago, Sellsword said:

The systems are different--Labyrinth Lord (the system for which Barrowmaze was designed) is 2d6 to turn undead, BFRPG is a d20. The Barrowmaze table is actually +1 to the Labyrinth Lord values on 2d6.

Hate to point out something that technically works in our favor, especially against undead, but I don't think @cailano intends for us to have an effective bonus to turn undead.

I think we have two potential solutions.

The first is to use the Labyrinth Lord system rather than the BFRPG system to turn undead. Converting 2D6 to 1d20 involves a different probability distribution, and a -1 in that paradigm isn't equivalent to that on a D20 roll.

Alternatively, we can use the BFRPG table and change the -1 to a -2. That still works out slightly in your favor, but it's a slight difference that preserves the intent of the original module.

I'm leaning toward the second option, but I'll open it up for a quick discussion.

11 minutes ago, cailano said:

I think we have two potential solutions.

The first is to use the Labyrinth Lord system rather than the BFRPG system to turn undead. Converting 2D6 to 1d20 involves a different probability distribution, and a -1 in that paradigm isn't equivalent to that on a D20 roll.

Alternatively, we can use the BFRPG table and change the -1 to a -2. That still works out slightly in your favor, but it's a slight difference that preserves the intent of the original module.

I'm leaning toward the second option, but I'll open it up for a quick discussion.

2nd option

28 minutes ago, cailano said:

That's a good question. The standard door in Barrowmaze is made of thick wood, swollen with moisture. Many will be stuck—most open inward (better for kicking).

standard hall size unless other wise noted is 10 feet?