Barrowmaze Part One: The Barrowmoor

cailano

Screenshot2024-02-26172632-150.png.e47863f7d5bc949ed98d29671fcc9e61.pngKeeping his staff at the ready as they approach the corpse to investigate, "At the very least, we should take the poor soul back to town for a proper burial."

16 hours ago, LarsWester said:

Thomas.PNG.27c6461ee7d33253283c0b6725a507bd.PNG

HP 5/5 | AC 16 | Base To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Thieves Abilities | Bullets/Silver x20/5

Thomas stands up. "Thank good Gods that was uneventful. We should go see what those beasts left behind. Their lunch might have been carrying some loot from the graves." Thomas moves quietly up to the victim of the Giant Scorpions to see if they left anything inedible behind. He also attempts to discern from the remains if they were human, dwarf or elf.

image.png.c1959066e0680bb9347bc314305da59d.pngAllen was thinking the same thing Thomas voiced and followed him to the unfortunate victim.

OOC:

can we tell what race and class this person might have been?

what kind of armor or clothing was he wearing?

does have have sacks or a back pack or both?

any weapons that we can see?

Allen helps to search the body

You search the body the scorpions were eating, and it's a grizzly sight. Most of the meat has been picked off the bones, and the body is no longer intact. What is left is scattered over the trail.

You think this was a human man from what is left of the clothing and gear. He was wearing shoddy leather armor and well-worn boots.

You find the following equipment:

Short Sword
2 Daggers
1 set Thieves Tools
1 Waterskin
1 Backpack
2 large sacks
4 iron spikes
6 Gold pieces
3 Silver pieces
Light Crossbow
12 Bolts

There is some evidence that this man had companions with him and that they fled, but it's impossible to say which way they went. The soft, wet ground of the Barrow Moor swallows most footprints

spacer.png

HP 6/6 | AC 13 | To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Arrows x25

Glad to have the scorpions wander off, Cyrus couldn't help but look sad about it. "Look I'm all for getting rich and making a name for myself but those things were a bad time waiting to happen. Mark my words."

He looked at Zaivie a moment. "I'm sorry... I'm no hero..." His gaze quickly averted down to the dirt before he walked away to help with the search.

The archer's eyes landed on the crossbow as he stepped closer to inspect it, rolling it in his hands. "This seems like it's got a good balance. If you need a ranged option, this'll see you through," he said, setting it back down.

Screenshot2024-02-26172632-150.png.e47863f7d5bc949ed98d29671fcc9e61.pngSnuffing out his lit torch and then pulling his blanket out of his backpack, Serpe moves to the grisly task of gathering the victim's scattered remains, muttering a few prayers as he gathers each piece. "Many thanks for the warning about those things, Tamson. That could have easily been any of us laying about in pieces, I suppose. As you say Cyrus, heroes or not, we're all going to taste the same to a giant scorpion."

He puts the wrapped blanket in the back of the cart. "Perhaps Othar can offer a resting place for this poor person."

The Mound of Ancient Urns

You make your way to another sealed burial mound you identified and quickly settle into work with hammers and chisels. Within an hour, you've broken the stone seal on the mound.

This mound is similar in shape and make to the last one you explored: a 30x30 stone chamber. A carved wooden funerary casket in the shape of a man rests on a dias in the center.

The chamber walls are cut with large sconces, each bearing decorative amphorae. These vessels are even more intricately designed than those you left behind in the last chamber but seem just as fragile. Each is four feet tall, but if you're careful, you might be able to load them into your cart and transport them back to Helix. They seem valuable.

Of course, to do that, you'll have to remove them from the chamber first.

What do you do?

** OOC: You're at Burial Mound #10. I'll update the description in the Barrow Mounds map.

image.png.06fd47ef5ad4defaf62a64a5804ac912.png

"I'm happy to lead the way," Dougal says, wiping a brow, "as long as someone can follow me up with a light source. I'll need free hands to make sure we're clear of traps. Checking the floor and casket will be my priority, but I'd appreciate it if no one fiddled with the amphorae until me or Thomas have had a chance to look them over as well."

"Oh," he squeaks, "and if someone could get a good look at the ceiling, I'd appreciate that too. Don't want anything dropping on my head while I'm crawling around on the floor."

Once settled, he'll make his way into the chamber, tapping the floor ahead pretty aggressively with his staff looking for pressure plates, loose stones, and such. He'll cast a glance at the walls for slits or gaps that might betray arrow or spear traps, but hopes he can keep low enough--indeed crawling, where feasible--to avoid as much risk as possible.

Time

By the time you've unsealed the chamber, lit your lanterns, and prepared to explore it is 3:00 pm.

Thoroughly checking the floor will take two turns (20 minutes)

Checking all the amphorae sconces (8) will take another three turns (30 minutes)

That's assuming both Black Dougal and Thomas are checking.

Unless I hear differently, I'll assume you spend that time.

Thomas.PNG.27c6461ee7d33253283c0b6725a507bd.PNG

HP 5/5 | AC 16 | Base To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Thieves Abilities | Bullets/Silver x20/5

Thomas follows Dougal into the chamber thankful for the light of Allen's lantern. He begins searching the amphorae sconses for any signs of triggers or pressure plates.

By 4:00, you've finished searching the burial mound and loading the amphorae into your cart.

"Those should sell unless we hit any bumps. I hear people in Ironguard Motte love collecting things like this. Turgen will know what to do. They're beautiful, really." Tamson says as he helps to load the amphorae.

"We should return to make it to Helix before dark."

Serpe

The scenes depicted on the urns appear to have some sort of religious significance, perhaps not surprising considering where they came from.

Name
Barrowmoor Encounter
1d6 6

Zaivie helps search, helps load and helps carry whatever needs carrying back to town.

"Not a bad day's haul, boys," Zaivie says with a whistle and a smile. "Beats real work, don't it?"

cropped_man_at_arms.jpg.26b5a67df8697a26c5a94d4611064eec.jpgTharnakalian laughs.

I reckon the folks who had to unseal the tomb would call that real work. But a bit more of a reward compared to digging ditches I'll underwrite that claim any day.