Barrowmaze Part One: The Barrowmoor

cailano

spacer.png

HP 6/6 | AC 13 | To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Arrows x25

"Agreed, swinging a sledge ain't nothin' but it's good money. I just wonder whose families these are. People just stealing and selling this stuff... I wonder if anyone pays people to put this stuff back?"

"Tha' ain't th' crazy part," Zaivie says after a moment of screwing her face up in concentration.

To use borrow an Earthen simile, she looked like a Disney film's cartoon squirrel dividing 3,482 by 471 in its head.

"Th' real crazy part is buryin' all this w' dead people in th' firs' place. This stuff all means food an' housin' an' trips ta th' barbersurgeon. It's th' difference b'tween a roof over yer head an' not. An' look at it! Gatherin' dust, lost in th' dirt, waitin' fer assholes like us ta steal it and make some use outta it at last. All fer what? Ta keep some rottin' meat'n'bones comp'ney in th' dark while livin' folk are starvin' ta death?"

She pauses, grins somewhat uncomfortably and concludes with, "Jus' seems kinda backward, don't it?"

Tamson points at Zavie, nodding. "That's what I said. My da says the people who used to live here thought honoring the dead was the most important thing they could do. He says the rumors about the labyrinth -- the Barrowmaze, he calls it -- he says they're all true. That it goes on for miles underground. That he thinks it might have the entire wealth of their civilization. He also says he'd never go in there, even if the dead hadn't started to wake. He says it's rotten with traps. That the only thing the ancients liked as much as building tombs was thinking up ways to kill tomb robbers."

The young ranger shrugs. "People used not to come out here. They knew about the Barrow Mounds, but they said they were cursed, and that kept people away. Then someone found treasure in the Mounds a couple of years ago, and no one cares about the curse anymore."

cropped_man_at_arms.jpg.26b5a67df8697a26c5a94d4611064eec.jpgTharnakalian listened intently.

Reward comes in its greatest form to those who underwrite the wager with their very souls. We have done well in our expeditions to the mounds but not well enough to secure a rich retirement. It is that prismatic labyrinthing encompassing the world beneath our feet that should be our final object.

I guess you have not been there yourself but do you know of an entrance to that great "Barrowmaze" or someone who knows of it? Perhaps a word with your da is called for.

image.png.06fd47ef5ad4defaf62a64a5804ac912.png

"Honoring the dead is all well and good, but I don't see how placing a couple of decorative vases in a tomb accomplishes that. There are more practical uses for such things, like lining our pockets with gold!" Dougal recognizes that his irreverence might not sit well with all, but feels safe voicing his opinions in present company.

"Looking forward to the Strumpet. As we get deeper into the Barrowmoor, as much as I hate to suggest it, we might want to start thinking about camping supplies. Not a worry for the present, but something to think about."

Thomas.PNG.27c6461ee7d33253283c0b6725a507bd.PNG

HP 5/5 | AC 16 | Base To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Thieves Abilities | Bullets/Silver x20/5

Thomas wipes some sweat from his brow, loading the heavy but valuable pottery was an ordeal. Hopefully they wouldn't hit any bumps on the return trip and the amphorae proved worth the effort when they turned into a heavy purse back at Helix.

"Speaking of the Strumpet it's high time we returned before getting caught out here after dark on the moors. Shall we head to drinks and laughter among the lovely lasses of the Strumpet. Zaivie I'll wager you a gold that I can get a laugh out of Taycee before you can."

image.png.c1959066e0680bb9347bc314305da59d.png

Allen pitched in to load the treasure into the cart, his muscles straining under the weight of the valuable loot. With determination, he assisted in getting the cart ready for the journey back to the Inn.

"BD, I agree. We'll need to be well-equipped if we are to make any sort of profit down there," Allen remarked, wiping sweat from his brow. "Perhaps we could even hire a few extra hands to help carry treasure and provide additional light if we can afford it."

Once the preparations were complete, the party made their way back to town with the cart laden with treasure. Allen joined in the efforts to sell their findings, negotiating with potential buyers to secure the best prices for their haul.

After completing the transactions, Allen reconvened with the others at the inn, eager to rest and strategize for their next expedition into the depths of the Barrowmounds. Sitting among his companions, he listened intently to their discussions, his mind already racing with plans and possibilities for their continued adventures in pursuit of wealth and glory.

Zaivie replies to Thomas's boast with a wink and a laugh.

"Ya might get 'er laughin' b'fore me, Tommy Boy, but I'll bet all day tha' it's me, not you, that she slips that little dress o' hers off for. Ha!"

With that bold declaration made, she then goes about helping the group carry all the heavy stuff that needs carrying, as was her wont and duty these days.

Edited by Raistlinmc (see edit history)

HP 5/5 | AC 16 | Base To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Thieves Abilities | Bullets/Silver x20/5

"I'm not one to wager with a woman's honor Zaivie but my offer of a gold piece for first laugh stands. If you're so confident you have the charms to part the lady from her dress than you have the means to part her lips into a laugh "

Thomas counters as he walks beside the cart with hands ready to steady any shifting goods.

Zaivie stops chuckling and looks somewhat dumb-foundedly at Thomas.

"Hells...yer serious, ain't'cha? Huh. Alri'. One gold coin it is, Tommy Boy. Firs' laugh from Taycee. Contest starts when th' lot o' us roll inta th' dinin' room fer dinner'n'drinks t'night. May th' best woman win!"

spacer.png

HP 6/6 | AC 13 | To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Arrows x25

"I dunno," Cyrus said with a shrug to Zaivie's questioning. It seemed more like a mad rant to him, but then everyone joined in with it. "If I end up doing something great, I want buried with my weapons. I'm gonna need 'em in the next life, methinks. I think that's kinda what all of these people thought, too. Doesn't seem that crazy." He scratched at his chin beard as he mused on what constituted honor.

"If ya think fer a second tha' if ya go'n'die one o' us ain't takin' that bow o' yers, Cyrus, ya got another thing comin'," Zaivie says with a laugh. "Trus' me, it's gonna do someone livin' a helluva lot more good 'n it'd do you six feet deep under dirt an' whatnot. Tell ya what, sir: if I die before ya, feel free ta loot m' corpse with a free'n'clear conscience! Don' say I never gave ya nothin' nice now, ya hear?"

Thomas laughs and then quips "I don't know Zaivie do you own anything *nice*?"