Adventure 2: Jaston's Good Fortune

Powderhorn

"Ye daft... take off th' head, an' th'body will follow!" Toktok grumbles as the youngsters charge out of their protective cover. He steps to meet the final bandit inside the wagons and knock the man senseless.

Mechanics

He can't reach anyone by charging this turn, so he'll move to the hex where Bandit #7 was and swing to put Bandit #6 down non-lethally.

Name
Round 3 attack + dmg (shock 2/15, nonlethal)
11; 2
1d20+4; 1d6+1 [7]; [7,1]

Day 5 - The Road North of Erilune, Late Night

spacer.png

The morale of the bandits start to wane, and two involved in melee break and run after Otto and Xan get amongst them - but not before one lands a meaty blow on Otto before he runs past! That same bandit is then knocked unconscious by Toktok, while three other bandits with bows fire into the circle of wagons, aiming for Eabha - one arrow striking her!

Meanwhile, the bandit leader closes with Otto, perhaps overestimating his own abilities, and is unable to knock him down.

Battle Map

spacer.png

Name
Bandit 6 Attack at Otto
1d20+1 20
Bandit 6 Damage at Otto
1d6 4
Bandit 4 Morale (8 or lower)
2d6 6,3
Bandit 3 Morale (8 or lower)
2d6 2,5
Bandit 1 Morale (8 or lower)
2d6 4,6
Bandit 3 Attack at Xan
1d20+1 3
NB - Bandit 3 does 2/15 Shock
10d100 8,33,32,29,43,55,22,57,31,50
Bandit Leader Attack at Otto - Shock 2/18
1d20+4 6
Bandit 12 Attack at Eabha
1d20+1 11
Bandit 13 Attack at Eabha
1d20+1 8
Bandit 14 Attack at Eabha
1d20+1 14
Bandit 14 Damage at Eabha
1d6 1

After missing his swing, Suibne allows the cart to absorb his momentum -that is to say, he slams into it with his full weight- before bouncing off and moving to close in with the other trio of archers, flinging an axe ahead of himself as he moves towards them.

OOC

Move One towards the upper archers. I think I can get just past the late bandit 11

Main: Toss an axe at bandit 14

Name
Attack Roll:
1d20+3 18
Damage Roll (Shock 3/AC 15)
1d6+2 3

Seeing the bandit leader move in on Otto, Toktok charges out of the circle with a mighty dwarven battle screech.

Mechanics

Move to the hex SW of the leader and attack (standard move, not actually Charging).

Name
Attack + dmg (shock 2/15)
10; 4
1d20+4; 1d6+1 [6]; [6,3]

Otto Eckhart
Ottov2Token.png.c645815eb939db987bfab8ae4317db73.png

Otto yanks his axe out of the archer with a sickening SPLORCH.

"...by the sword," he tells the dead man, who is too far gone to appreciate the wisdom.

No longer charging, he now has a moment to set his feet and brace for impact. The bandit leader comes barreling in, thankfully on Otto's shield (left) side. The leader's attack isn't good enough to bypass Otto's armor.

Why isn't he retreating? Otto wonders. What would lead him to directly attack a man in full armor?

Toktok is charging the flank of the leader with a mighty battle cry, giving Otto an opportunity to strike a distracted opponent. He lands his blow but it doesn't cut deeply.

OOC

Round 4

Main: Make a Melee Attack

Move: Screen an Ally (Toktok), this is probably pointless but I don't have another use for the Move Action

Edited by Tecumseh (see edit history)
Name
Attack Bonus 2 + Dex 2 + Stab 1
1d20+5 14
Hand Axe 1d6 + Dex 2
1d6+2 1

Xan Lycas

The bandit's club cracks across Xan's forearm, which takes most (but not all) of the blow that was clearly meant for her head. While far from ideal, being on the receiving end of this attack did give her an opportunity to return the favour, driving a hook with her a better part of her body weight. Unsure as to whether to punch would suffice to take the bandit out, and rightly concerned about her ability to remain in the fight, Xan draws on her training to steady herself.

OOC

Instant: Commit effort for the scene for Brutal CounterCommit Effort for the scene as an Instant action after resolving an enemy melee attack against you, whether it hits or misses. You may make a free physical attack against your assailant, using either a normal attack or some other offensive ability that takes no more than one Main Action to execute. You cannot use this art more than once per round against a single foe, but you may use it while performing a Total Defense to attack Bandit 3 (Vowed)

Instant: Commit effort for the day for Mind Over MatterYour mental control over your physical processes is considerable. Commit Effort for the day as an Instant action to gain one of the following benefits: automatically stabilize if Mortally Wounded, go without sleep for twenty-four hours, heal 1d6 hit points of damage you’ve suffered, or completely ignore normal climatic extremes of heat or cold for one day. Similar tricks of bodily control may be allowed at the GM’s discretion. to heal 1d6 (Thought Noble)

Name
mind over matter (healing 1d6)
1d6 1
brutal counter (Punch +0; shock 1/15)
1d20 1
Damage (if Punch is successful; 1d6)
1d6 6
Attack (Punch +0; shock 1/15)
1d20 2
Damage (if Punch is successful; 1d6)
1d6 5

spacer.png

Suibne's axe drops one bandit, and then the quick pair of blows from Toktok and Otto drop the bandit leader perhaps shockingly more quickly than was anticipated!

The bandit facing Xan sees her struggling under the blows, and, while he too struggled, decided the best option was to attempt to get one more hit before fleeing. The last cudgel came down, dropping Xan, but with the leader down, and comrades dropping like flies, he too thinks better of his odds and flees the ambush!

Once more, the night is quiet, save for the heavy breathing of those so recently in the fight.

Dungeon Master

I figured the best way to handle fleeing was if they got to the edge of the map, successfully fled. Some of those are likely already much further than their location would indicate!

I believe I have it right that Xan is down, I was tracking her at 2HP? If I'm wrong though, we can fix that easily enough.

Looks like one was knocked unconscious with non-lethal damage. Final map just for everyone's edification, and the yellow X is the one unconscious as opposed to dead.

Final Map

spacer.png

Name
Bandit 3 Attack at Xan (Shock 2/15)
1d20+1 11

6 hours ago, Powderhorn said:

I believe I have it right that Xan is down, I was tracking her at 2HP? If I'm wrong though, we can fix that easily enough.

That is correct.

I will likely commit effort again as an instant action in order to have Xan stabilize herself

Otto Eckhart

Otto pulls his axe out of the bandit leader's neck. "Such a waste," he murmurs, watching the man drain into the ground. He is curiously unbothered by the encounter, and seems to have something of an ambivalence to killing, at least if it's done in self-defense.

He slaps Toktok on the shoulder as a reaffirmation of their survival. He turns to survey the scene and notices that Xan is down behind him. He rushes over to her and kneels down but - not being a healer - doesn't know what to make of the damage.

"Eabha!" he calls out to the caravan with a tone of urgency. "Some help, if you please!"

Xan Lycas

Unlike her punches, the bandit's club connects well, and it smarts like the dickens for a beat; then pain that had seemed so present begins to ebb, steady waves of darkness lapping at her vision in its wake. It is familiar. She knows that she should be annoyed, but cannot quite remember why. She mouths the words I should sit down as her knees buckle.

3 hours ago, Tecumseh said:

"Eabha!" he calls out to the caravan with a tone of urgency. "Some help, if you please!"

In the brief time that they have been travelling togther Otto's voice, muffled though it was, has never sounded like this. Something was wrong. What do you need? Concerned at the lack of reply, she struggles against the inky quiet that has drapped itself over her consciousness and speaks again, only this time actually making a sound.

"I can help," the pugilist calls out softly, eyes still closed. "I only need a moment to catch my breath."

The bruised (if not broken) ribs were not helping with that particular endeavor.

ooc

Instant: Commit effort for the day for Mind Over Matter to stabilise (Thought Noble)

Edited by another aka (see edit history)

Suibne rushes at the downed bandit, yanks his axe out of the body, and raises it above his head, a wordless roar after the fleeing bandits turning into "AND DON'T COME BACK, YOU COWARDS!" before spinning around to his allies. "Everyone okay?" he grabs the dead bandit by the collar and drags the body back towards the circle of wagons.

spacer.png

With the field cleared, the dead can be rifled through. Treasure recovered is as follows:

• 9 buff coats
  • 2 short bows
  • 40 arrows
  • 9 clubs
  • 1 small shield
  • 40 pieces of silver

The unconscious bandit eventually comes to for interrogation.

Name
Silver
1d4*10 4

Otto Eckhart

Otto let Eabha take care of Xan. He won't be much help there.

He helps pat down the bandits. The clubs are of little worth, maybe as firewood at best. The buff coats have perhaps more value, but they're bloody, which means that they didn't keep their occupants whole and intact. He won't bother to strip the armor off but won't object if someone else does.

When it comes time to interrogate the prisoner, Otto knows that his youthful face won't inspire much concern. Instead he stands nearby, hoping his armor serves an intimidating presence. The actual questioning would probably be more effective coming from someone else.