GM's Day sale for the next week

Looks like sometime around the 10th of March this GM's Day sale on drivethrurpg.com will end. It's up to 40% off a bunch of great stuff. There's 64,000+ items... I don't know if I care to look at all of them when I've already spent $80 on stuff I don't have time to play/run anyways.

I picked up Dragonbane, Crown, Never Going Home, The Mecha Hack, a bunch of Old School Essentials modules, and a bunch of indie stuff.

I found a TMNT parody for 2400 that I'm dying to try out; it's called Junior Hybrid Battle Cryptids.

Have fun and RIP your bank accounts! 🤣

spacer.pngBack in the mid-80s when TMNT was an edgy black-and-white comic book there was a phase when there were a whole bunch of anthropomorphic animal knock-offs such as the Adolescent Radioactive Black-Belt Hamsters and the Pre-Teen Dirty-Gene Kung-Fu Kangaroos. I kid you not. My dad ran a bookstore that sold comics, so I saw that stuff first hand.

JHBC is part of a glorious tradition.

Inspired by @Malkavian Grin I asked ChatGPT to compose a series of haiku about the era.

Shadows cast in ink,
Turtles stride in New York nights—
Heroes in half-shells.

Hamsters follow suit,
Radiation's odd pupils—
Black belts, small but fierce.

Comics' pages turn,
Anthropomorphic dawn breaks—
Martial arts entwined.

Ink spills, laughter joins,
Parodies of shell and fur—
Eighties' wild tales spun.

Echoes in the dark,
Imitators find their mark—
Legacy in art.

I grabbed a copy of Mythras at the GM day sale. Will it bubble to the top of the games I want to run? Well… I have a pretty big library of games so maybe not, but it looks like it has an interesting combat system and magic system and it has a devoted following online so it has an outside shot.

If it's not apparent, i was the world's biggest tmnt fan back in the day. Well as much a fan as a poor kid could be. I'm aware of all the knockoffs. Don't forget it went into cartoons too like those surf sharks or whatever and the biker mice from mars lmao. Wild stuff indeed.

I was always disappointed I'd never heard of the tmnt palladium stuff until Well after i got into ttrpgs. Oh Well, palladium is too extra for me anyhow.

Started reading the Mecha Hack. I am leaning toward using this for my Gundam game.

40 minutes ago, cailano said:

I grabbed a copy of Mythras at the GM day sale. Will it bubble to the top of the games I want to run? Well… I have a pretty big library of games so maybe not, but it looks like it has an interesting combat system and magic system and it has a devoted following online so it has an outside shot.

I've been looking at Mythras recently. I especially like the Special Effects combat mechanic and was noodling on how that might be applied to other systems as well. TDM published a couple one-shots on their website that I might try running (in a year or three 😛).

3 minutes ago, Sellsword said:

@Malkavian Grin Have you read this one?

image.png.b8ab4da516cec2318363794cc1ca186f.png

I know I'm a few years behind, but ran into this at a brick & mortar bookstore last year and it blew my mind. Loved it!

Its on my list!! I've heard it's absolutely amazing. I've got about 30 or 40 comic runs i want to read but i was never huge into comics so I'm behind.

Snagged Dragonsbane last week when the sale first went up w/ the Roll 20 module.

Snagging Vaesen solo rules, Waking of Wiloby Hall, Destination Hollow Ground (pirate borg), and Demon Lord's Compaion 2 now, tho since it's pay day for me.

lmao I am making the Last Ronin for a 5e game I'm playing with friends soon. It's good comics!

Edited by Spacesong (see edit history)

If you haven't see -- there's a killer deal where you get the pdf and VTT set for R20 up for DB's Core set that's only $6. That's rules, solo play rules *and* a starter adventure in pdf form.

I personally have no experience with Runequest so can't speak to that but can confirm the ducks are absolutely rad!

image.png.59cf2cc7263cf44bb54bba00493fc1ad.png

I haven't really dug into the material yet but based on first impressions it seems like a rules light blend of ideas from other post 3e D&D fantasy games. Attributes informing a list of skills alongside class and race abilities. Hoping it's a nice mix of easy to pick up and not overly crunchy.