The Rivenvale Refugees

79d490f7beb66f64e842378808af15bb.jpg.1b2cb90372a4553372d6fe0a8bf07d9f.jpg

Zweitermon 24, Saturday Evening | The Red Masque Atelier | Lower Midtown, Altenheim

Weather: Light Fog

Song: Spiritual State by Nujabes

As the sun sets on the city of Altenheim, the citizens of the city descend on to Lower Midtown in search of food and the joyous amusement of its myriad shops. As if cursed, the Red Masque Atelier remains unnoticed and ignored. Occasionally an onlooker would pass by the window and take a peek, but quickly scurry away upon seeing the Nobleman's letter posted on the wall. Although it was bad for Ithillien's business, it did give the group a measure of privacy as they met to discuss the mission in the back.

Ithillien welcomed the group as they arrived, offering the same refreshment of tea and coffee as in the morning. Unlike before though, she is wearing a set of leather bandoliers underneath a hooded, black robe. A beaked plague mask hangs from her belt, next to a thick spellbook. As promised, it appears the Elf will be joining you on your excursion into the refugee camp.

Ithillien (Elf Plague Doctor) theme songimage.png.b39c5116678c8643735374c4cf246a0c.png

AC: 13 | HP: 17/17 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 14 | Features

"Good evening, everyone. It is good to see you again." The Elf welcomed the group with a sleepy yawn. "I was informed you wanted some extra support on your first mission."

"If you are ready, we can make our way to the refugee camp and begin scouting. I heard there were adventurers frequenting the area, so we shouldn't stand out too much."

The Elf paused when she saw Calder Ivarson, and shook herself, "Hopefully none of the refugees will object or panic to an Ogresh in their camp."

Edited by MidnightPoet (see edit history)

IMG_1213.png.b6c5e6c062fef027c2c1d35851261888.pngIrata takes a sip of tea, grateful for the warmth. She spares the letter on the wall a withering glance, still annoywed that a good person is suffering. Still, it's nice to be back in the Atelier. It's certainly safer than the mists.

Though her eyes do go wide at the sight of the spellbook. Irata can't help but shirk back a little once she spots it, her surprise and discomfort extremely obvious. She looks to Ithillien, wanting to try and find an explanation, to talk to her about it... but in the end, she falls silent.

This isn't the time to try and preach. And it'd be hypocritical of you to try.

Instead, the Inquisitor nods along as the elven mage outlines their plan. She's ready to go. Still, there's one point that's worth bringing up. Just in case.

"We were also told you may have some insight into... curses. The investigation takes priority, of course. But while some of us have a little experience with their issues, that's not universal. Lady Jackal and I weren't even aware that anything had happened to us. Is there anything we should be aware of that might interfere with the hunt?"

She holds up the pamphlet the Ringmaster had handed them, complete with its sample Thaumaturgic outline. "For example, is there a way for us to recognize if we've been detected by one of these wards?"

Calder Ivarson (Goliath, Beast Hunter, Giant, Rune Knight Fighter 3) sheet token_1.png.3b5b1028efa8835152c60f74642d647d.png

HP: 36/36 | Hit Dice: 3d10 | AC: 19* | Init: +1 | PP: 13 | PI: 18 | Speed: 30ft | Langs: Valiki, Higher Bürach, Castinellan, Giant
Stone's Endurance: 2/2 | Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Giant Might: 2/2 | Fire Rune: 1/1 | Stone Rune: 1/1

Buffs: None | Debuffs: None | Resistance: None | Inspiration: 1 | Exhaustion: 0 | Available Funds: 276gp

Calder hadn't expected, when the mists cleared, to find himself standing outside the door of what passed for the Kandarian embassy in Altenheim. He'd known the mists were laced with magic, but to whisk him from outside the Atelier to his lodgings? It was impressive, if a little intimidating.

He'd felt bad for leaving Irata before he'd been able to tell the woman where to meet him; they would have to reschedule their luncheon, it seemed. In the time between their parting and the meeting, Calder ensured his weapons were sharp, examined his armor with Caspar to guarantee it's integrity, and indulged in quite a large lunch. His compatriots from Kandar know of Calder's appetites; they'd begun preparing a roast sheep after he'd left, though due to his teleportation, it wasn't quite ready by the time he returned. No matter, he had one final task that took up the remaining time, and he ate greedily once it was fully cooked.

Later, he entered the Red Masque Atelier, gingerly navigating the too-small aisle to reach the door to the back room. Ducking under the head of the door, he entered a little sheepishly, before taking a seat. He delicately lifted a cup of coffee, sipping at it with a quizzical look on his face. He'd never had coffee before, and was trying to decide if he liked it or not. When Irata arrived, he gave her a look of apology; he hadn't known where to find her, either.

"Hail, Ithilien. I am glad to have you with us."

At her pause, Calder grinned, almost a little embarrassed. "Yes, an Ogresh. If anyone asks, that is probably the best thing to call me."

When Irata offers a few questions, particularly regarding the Thaumaturgy basics the Ringmaster had given them, Calder perks up.

"I also had a question or two about that, if it's alright. I took the liberty of preparing a plate," he says, trailing off for a moment as he pulls out a small square of metal into which he chiseled the thaumaturgic engraving. This was the task that took his remaining time before lunch.

"I haven't drawn the pattern yet, because I wasn't sure if it would activate immediately or not. But I thought we could place this in the refugee camp somewhere, maybe buried near a common path. It might find something, even after we leave."

He gave a look towards Irata and Lady Underwood, and nodded towards the plate.

"When I place it, you can see if you feel anything. But if it draws on my own strength, I would not want to activate it until it's placed correctly."

OOC

Poet, let me know how much gp I owe for the metal plate. Calder has proficiency with Smith's Tools, so I presume this is within his ability to create. If that isn't true, or I've misunderstood the process somewhere, let me know. I'm also deducting the 2gp for my food intake for the day, since Calder is a big boy with a big appetite.

Posted (edited)

Zweitermon 24, Saturday Evening | The Red Masque Atelier | Lower Midtown, Altenheim

Weather: Light Fog

Ithillien (Elf Plague Doctor) theme songimage.png.b39c5116678c8643735374c4cf246a0c.png

"I see. You can think of curses as a metaphorical sword hanging over your head, held in place by threads of causality. Your actions and your intent might cause one of these threads to fray or to break, bringing the sword closer to you and to your ruin. There is little I can do to help without a full study of your condition, but the most common triggering condition is the blood of an innocent. I would avoid unnecessary killing until I know more about what will trigger the curse."

Ithillien took the pamphlet from Irata and flipped through the pages with a focused eye.

"Thaumaturgy utilizes curses for the most of its power, so your own curse is drawn towards it. If you focus yourself, you may feel your curse stir and shift towards its origins. Most are easy to detect, but there are ways to hide them too."

She held up two potions for the group to see. "This is a potion enchanted with Nystul's Magic Aura, and the second of Protection against Evil. Most spells that interfere with divination or enchantment will also interfere with this particular ward, which is why the Society has so many of them around. I can sell you some, but I will have to inform the Ringmaster about your purchase."

She nodded at Calder's work, a faint smile could be seen in the twist of her lips but not quite reaching her eyes. "That is no problem at all. You can carve it as you like and carry it with you. The plate is bound to its location when you first you invoke the magic. If you move it after that though, it will break."

Show Detecting Thaumaturgy

You may spend an action to roll an Arcana check and detect any thaumaturgical effects in the area. A successful DC15 Arcana check will reveal the presence of Thaumaturgy as well as a general direction.

Spells that protect you from divination magic also block the effects.

image.png.e3915c430d629b912b00f2923bf2a2d7.pngZorjana Teodozja LN Human Noble, "Haunted" Sorceress | "Hexblade" Warlock

• AC 17 • HP 19 • Init +4 • Passive Perception 13 • Devil's Sight 120' • Phantom Familiar

Zorjana arrived with the others for the meeting before they were to embark on their "mission". She still felt unsure about the undertaking as it was all very new to her. While she could appreciate the investigative aspect of what they are going to do she really had no practical experience in anything like this; it was very new to her. Listening to her companions she thought to herself, "This is insane. I can't believe I am going along with this madness. I can't imagine this to be real, but I also can't deny its existence. From what little I have heard and seen already I am not sure that I myself am not going mad like my mother."

OoC

OoC: At the moment she is only observing what is happening and has no questions needing answered.

Phantom Familiar

image.png.5b84c976506de9649458dc9b26c4aeb3.pngAntonas Dragan Teodozja [Phantom Familiar | medium undead]
• STR 1 (-5) DEX 14 (+2) CON 11 (+0) INT 10 (+0) WIS 10 (+0) CHA 11 (+0)

• AC 12 • HP 22 • Passive Perception 10 • Darkvision 60' • Fly 50'
• Damage Resistance: acid, cold, fire, lightning, thunder, and bludgeoning, piercing, slashing from non-magic attacks
• Damage Immunity: necrotic, poison
• Condition Immunities: charmed, exhaustion, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained, unconscious  

• Incorporeal Movement: can move through creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain; specter takes 1d10 (5) force damage if ends turn inside an object.
• Sunlight Sensitivity: in sunlight specter has disadvantage on attacks and perception checks (sight).

• AVAILABLE @3rd Life Drain Attack (Action): melee spell attack +4, range 5' (1 target), 3d6 necrotic damage DC 10 Con save or target's Max HP reduced by damage taken (last until long rest). Target dies if effect reduces target's HP to Zero.

Edited by rauhric (see edit history)

IMG_1213.png.b6c5e6c062fef027c2c1d35851261888.png"Don't kill innocent people. Got it."

Irata echoes the idea aloud, not able to hide her disbelief. It can't be that simple. Still, the idea of meditation to try and find some trace of what's hanging over her feels like a good start. At the offer of potions, Irata has to take a second before shaking her head. "Trying to hide something I don't understand would be counterproductive. And if... something happens, that ensures the Society would be able to find me. Thanks for the offer though."

As Calder produces a plate, Irata beams. She hadn't considered preparing for thaumaturgy like that! She'd considered making use of the ward trick, drawing on their blood's a little more palatable than true magic. She nods, "Good thinking Mr. Ivarson!"

The only question now is where best to use it. Irata hums, "I was hoping we'd be able to find some kind of crime scene. The last spot one of the victims was seen in before they disappeared, for example. That'd be the perfect spot for the plate. If our target comes to check on what's going on, they'll get close enough to activate it. But... we still don't know enough about what's been happening. There may not even be a spot in the camp like that."

Posted (edited)

Weather: Light Fog | Resolve Points: 1

"I see you detest my gross oversimplification."

Ithillien noticed Irata's apparent disbelief and stinkeye, as she chuckled and stood up while waiting for the others to arrive. She thumbed through the bookshelf to extract a voluminous book bound in red leather and set it on the coffee table.

"Sorry, but the practice of avoiding strong emotions is difficult for even the most devoted ascetics. I find it easier to start with curbing the most depraved and basest instincts that arise from a transformation curse. If you're interested, the Church of Aphaelon has written a treatise on transformations and their method of delaying its culmination. It is somewhat dubious and filled with moralistic theology, but the practices are generally helpful in preventing the curse from advancing. You are welcome to look through it in your free time."

Show OOC

The party has earned 1 Resolve for successfully meeting with the Ringmaster.

IMG_1213.png.b6c5e6c062fef027c2c1d35851261888.png"Hrm. The Church of Aphaelon?"

He might not be her patron Seraph, but the Lord of Tranquillity having advice on this mater makes sense to Irata. Which of the Seraphs could show more self control than the Master of Temperance. Ithillien's comments about it being filled with moralising makes her chuckle.

"It won't be my first time wading through theology. Hard to study Castinellan history without building up a... tolerance for grandiose invocations and meditation on the Will of Heaven. "

She takes a seat by the coffee table, bowing her head to Ithilien. She glances into the book, just enough to confirm it's in a language she's familiar with, before returning to her host. "Thank you. It's a kind offer. If these are more widely helpful, would you mind me taking notes? Having a copy of the relevant passages for personal reference would be ideal. And I could reproduce my abbreviated version for the rest of the group, so everyone has a baseline to work with."

It would be useful, but it would probably be annoying having Irata cluttering up the shop. Either way, the Inquisitor turns meditative as she glances back down at the book, "Gaining access to more tomes like this should probably be a priority for me. My best work is probably done in the library, researching various threats. And we're a long way from the official resources of the Cathedral of Ashes. I'll... look into that once I have some free time going forward. "

image.png.e3915c430d629b912b00f2923bf2a2d7.pngZorjana Teodozja LN Human Noble, "Haunted" Sorceress | "Hexblade" Warlock

• AC 17 • HP 19 • Init +4 • Passive Perception 13 • Devil's Sight 120' • Phantom Familiar

Zorjana spoke sincerely to their Society contact and said, "I would really appreciate the opportunity to read such a treatise. Anything I can learn about keeping such curses at bay may be a welcome comfort. I must say, I was surprised to hear I was under a curse. It is not something you ever hope to hear." She felt the armor under her cloak and thought about how fast her world was changing. Is this what she is destined to be? Some "inquisitor" for some secret society? If it can cure her then why not.

OoC

OoC:

Phantom Familiar

image.png.5b84c976506de9649458dc9b26c4aeb3.pngAntonas Dragan Teodozja [Phantom Familiar | medium undead]

• Damage Resistance: acid, cold, fire, lightning, thunder, and bludgeoning, piercing, slashing from non-magic attacks
• Condition Immunities: charmed, exhaustion, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained, unconscious  

• Incorporeal Movement: can move through creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain; specter takes 1d10 (5) force damage if ends turn inside an object.
• Sunlight Sensitivity: in sunlight specter has disadvantage on attacks and perception checks (sight).

• AVAILABLE @3rd Life Drain Attack (Action): melee spell attack +4, range 5' (1 target), 3d6 necrotic damage DC 10 Con save or target's Max HP reduced by damage taken (last until long rest). Target dies if effect reduces target's HP to Zero.

Posted (edited)

"We have much in common I see." Ithillien replies to Irata and Zorjana. "Perhaps we can continue this after the mission then. The day grows long and we should be on our way. You can keep reading that book while I close up."

Ithillien takes her shop sign and draws on it with a thick black ink. Her hand moves rhythmically and you can hear her intoning arcane words in Charneault under her breath. After a minute, she holds up a large sign announcing the shop to be closed and hangs it on the door.

For the members of the Society of Occult however, a message about the owner being at the Fork Gate appears instead, the letters glowing over the false letters hiding the spell.

Show OOC

Ithillien | Rank 2

The party earns 1 Resolve Point for befriending Ithillien.

You have read the first volume of Hearthkeeper Miran's Meditations on Temperance. It postulates that the body is the prison of the mind and serves to restrict the preternatural powers of imagination. Curses are a means of freeing the powers of imagination, which can bring unimaginable good, but also unimaginable horror. Controlling your imagination is essential to controlling the power of the curse.

OOC: Also, if you are not aware, I do make in-game private posts by restricting the players who can read it. If you are curious about what other players are seeing, you could login with another account or in incognito mode and read them if you like.

Zweitermon 24, Saturday Evening b35e55f821c67c24e54afd1a0d8785e6.jpg.3a58480b3f722f9eb59d97b07dcf6310.jpg
Refugee Camp, Altenheim

Weather: Light Fog | Resolve Points: 2

Song: Spiritual State by Nujabes

Beyond the gatehouse is a sprawling city of wooden buildings, lean-tos, and tents that reaches out into the shores of the large river. The style is eclectic, a veritable showcase of the empire's diverse culture.

A neighborhood of Halfling huts follow the river shore to the north. Their straw-thatched roofs and multi-colored pendants fly high, each pendant proclaiming a Halfling clan's extended family and affiliation.

Across the road to the east, a city of tents and lean-tos are home to the Half-Orcs and Half-Elves of the camp. The muddy ground only makes the deplorable condition of the camp even more evident.

To the south, the larger and more permanent wooden constructions of the Human refugees can be seen. This portion of the camp also holds a market for goods coming to town. A few burly dwarves in thick shirts and with long axes can be seen browsing the wares of the shops here.

Most eye-catching however, is the construction of a Church of Miklas beginning in the south. The stone foundation of the structure has already been built as giant beams of timber shoot up in a forest of scaffolding.

To the side, a smaller wooden church can be seen. Outside it, a large number of refugees and citizens have gathered to collect bread and soup. However, there is a festive air in the square as a band sets up on a stage and couples practice dancing on the hard-packed ground.

image.png.151b43d3972c6aaf5754d0d4e1c5970c.pngZorjana Teodozja LN Human Noble, "Haunted" Sorceress | "Hexblade" Warlock

Zorjana hear the voice in her head and looked to the others in attendance and wonder if it was just meant for her or if the others also hear the same voice. Not wanting to say anything for fear of being labeled "mad" like her mother she kept it to herself, but was very concerned for her sanity.

As they arrived at the refugee camp she looked their "leader" Ithillien and asked, "I have never had to conduct such an investigation before. Do we just start asking random people about the events that brought them here, or do we seek out a 'camp leader' to speak to first? What is our cover here? Are we good Samaritans or are we here as Officials? What should they think of us? Saviors or Strangers passing bye?"

She adjusted her cloak to cover much of the armor the Society left for her and fidgeted with the staff that felt awkward in her hand. Somehow these items feel 'alien' to her at the moment, but also ... comforting. It was an usual set of feelings swirling around her at the moment she was having a hard time focusing on the task at hand. When she gets a moment to herself she would discuss this with her father.

OoC

OoC: Her Father the Spirit will remain Invisible, and as a matter of fact there really is no reason it should ever show itself to anyone but her. This way when she is caught talking to it it will see like she is talking to no one and lend the air of insanity like her mom.

Phantom Familiar

• Invisibility: can remain invisible until it attacks or cast a spell for its master.

Posted (edited)

"Any of those will do well as a cover story. The people here are practicing for the Masquerade in 20 days. A few noble ladies and gentlemen have come to help teach. Usually we work in small groups to create a suitable backstory. For example, you and I might be a noblewoman and her court mage body guard, here to help teach a waltz."

"Look over there" The Elf gestured towards the conspicuously armed citizens gathered in groups of two and four around the square. "There are an inordinate number of adventurers moving in and out of the church. If we don't want to split up, we could fit such a group well. We are unobserved so far, so we can take our time to observe the crowd and find a means to blend in."

"You could ask them in person, or you could use that strange spirit that follows you around to listen in on any suspicious people you find." The Elf gave Zorjana an amused look and then asked, "You just learned what a Soul Track can do and you brought the thing into my store. Do... you not know about the thing following you?"

As you take a look around the square for a moment, you see a large number of adventurers mingled into the crowd. These professional monster hunters are conspicuously armed and many still sport visible injuries and bloodstains. However, many of the citizens seem unconcerned or accustomed to the sight. Some children even seem to be running errands for the adventurers, bringing food and water to them.

Studying them more closely, you notice a distinct pattern. The most injured seem to have formed a queue directly outside the church, where the most injured are led one-at-a-time through the back door.

Show OOC

OOC: As players, you are always welcome to add details into the scene that will help provide your cover story.

I will provide additional details as needed for the groups. Want to play the role of a construction worker? Add a group of workmen from the church construction yard.

IMG_1213.png.b6c5e6c062fef027c2c1d35851261888.pngIrata can feel the tension leave her body as the group reaches the camp. This place is invigourating. Everything's so cheerful, so optimistic. But after a little time amidst the merrymakers, the young inquisitor is faced with a realization.

"This... doesn't match the Ringmaster's report. "

The realization makes Irata pensive. She doesn't doubt the society's intellegence gathering, but the disconnection between her expectations and reality is... noteworthy. "Nothing here contradicts what we were told. But this is not the mood I'd expect from a band of humble villagers forced to flee their home, with a hungry monster on their heels. These are the most content group of people I've ever seen not getting let into a city. Behold the power of the Masquerade, I suppose."

That particular institution worked wonders as a propaganda tool. Everything is fine, you're safe here, there's about to be a big dance festival for everyone. Welcome to Altenheim - now make sure you stay outside. "Even if the Rivens are just a subsection of the population, this is a surprising amount of good cheer with monsters active within the camp. No trace of any rumours or the disappearances being an ongoing concern. An... interesting start."

As the topic turns to how they're going to investigate this, Irata hums. "It'd be hard for any one or anything to stage an ambush in a crowd this large. If they were more blatant, maybe, but we're hunting some kind of hidden predator. And we're a diverse group. Splitting up might be worth our time. We don't have a starting point, no firm knowledge of what sort of creature we're looking for. So if we cover more ground, talk to more people, we've got a better shot at finding something. Even if it's inconclusive, that'll give us a direction to start down in earnest."

"Perhaps three groups? A noble and her mage to go check in with the theatrical performers. Two more to go check in with the... adventurers?"

Irata peers skeptically at the church, noting the two tier system of admissions and the hefty queue of wounded. Something is clearly going on there. And it's something the people aren't too worried about. So many heavily armed strangers about is seldom a good sign... "Are these people hunting our quarry? They're an... interesting coincidence, if not.

token_1.png.a6f49fd7e2801849b51644c4d0ddf546.pngZefelle Copperspark, True neutral Lightfoot Halfling Druid 3

(Current HP: 27/ 27) | AC: 14 (16 shield equiped) | Spell Slots: 4 /2

StrSave -1
Athletics -1
9 (-1) | DexSave +2
Acrobatics +2 | Sleight of Hand +2 | Stealth +2
14 (+2) | ConSave +3
No skills associated.
16 (+3) | IntSave +4
Arcana +2 | History +2 | Investigation +2 | Nature +4 | Religion +2
14 (+2) | WisSave +6
Animal Handling +4 | Insight +6 | Medicine +4 | Perception +6 | Survival +4
18 (+4) | ChaSave +0
Deception +0 | Intimidation +0 | Performance +0 | Persuasion +0
10 (+0)

Prepared spellsCantrip: Chill touch, Poison spray, Shillelagh

Lv1: Entangle, Detect magic, Fairy fire, Speak with animals

Lv2: Blindness/Deafness, Gentle Repose, Summon beast, Spike growth, Moon beam

Passive perception: 16 | Passive insight: 16

Zefelle observed the camp with a critical eye, her thoughts echoing Irata's observations. The discrepancy between the Ringmaster's report and the lively atmosphere before them was indeed striking. Despite the looming threat of the monster, the villagers seemed remarkably carefree, their spirits buoyed by the festivities of the Masquerade.

As Irata proposed splitting up to gather information, Zefelle considered the idea carefully. It made sense; with no concrete leads and a diverse group at their disposal, covering more ground would increase their chances of uncovering clues. However, the notion of dividing their forces also carried inherent risks, especially in an environment where danger could lurk around every corner.

"Three groups sounds reasonable," Zefelle agreed, her tone measured as she weighed the options. "But we must exercise caution. While a crowded environment may deter some forms of attack, it also provides ample opportunity for covert actions. We shouldn't underestimate our quarry's cunning."

Her gaze flickered towards the church, where a queue of wounded awaited treatment. The presence of heavily armed strangers raised Zefelle's suspicions, hinting at a deeper layer of intrigue beneath the surface. "The church warrants investigation," she added, her voice tinged with a note of urgency. "Whatever their intentions, it's clear they play a significant role in this affair. We must proceed with caution, lest we become entangled in their web of secrets."

Edited by Harding (see edit history)

image.png.151b43d3972c6aaf5754d0d4e1c5970c.pngZorjana Teodozja LN Human Noble, "Haunted" Sorceress | "Hexblade" Warlock

Zorjana nods in agreement with her companions as she sees some merit in splitting up the group. Waving Ithillien to lead on she asks her, "You can see him? He is my father, Antonas. I will ask him to spy for us and try to pick up on some knowledge we might not be able to collect ourselves."

She communicates her wishes to her father telepathically and sends off to investigate on his own. Wanting to continue discuss personal matters she opts to just stay on task. "How do you prefer to handle this? A noble lady and her female bodyguard? That would explain why I am wearing this armor. So what are we here to do for them? See and report the situation back to the crown? Goodwill Ambassadors? Humanitarian Aid Relief? By the way, my name is Zorjana, Zorjana Teodozja."

OoC

OoC: Zorjana seems more incline to go with the "aid relief worker" cover route than "dance instructor." It just seems more plausible. Sure, there is a big dance coming around the corner but these people have been displaced and are needing real assistance. This sounds like something the crown would do and by sending nobles to assess the situation seems more "authentic" of a cover story. Zorjana has no pull in the royal court, but these refugees don't know that. This aid-work cover might even be how she re-introduces her family to the noble houses.

Phantom Familiar

• Invisibility: can remain invisible until it attacks or cast a spell for its master.