The Rivenvale Refugees

Calder Ivarson (Goliath, Beast Hunter, Giant, Rune Knight Fighter 3) sheet token_1.png.3b5b1028efa8835152c60f74642d647d.png

HP: 36/36 | Hit Dice: 3d10 | AC: 19* | Init: +1 | PP: 13 | PI: 18 | Speed: 30ft | Langs: Valiki, Higher Bürach, Castinellan, Giant
Stone's Endurance: 2/2 | Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Giant Might: 2/2 | Fire Rune: 1/1 | Stone Rune: 1/1

Buffs: None | Debuffs: None | Resistance: None | Inspiration: 1 | Exhaustion: 0 | Available Funds: 276gp

As Ithillien spoke, Calder did his best to keep up with the discussion. The finer points of magical theory and curse manipulation were a bit beyond him; the things he did came through instinct, and the limited education he'd gotten. The spellcraft of the Giants has largely faded from the world, so there are few first-hand accounts.

It was, however, good to learn that it was possible to hide his curse from these wards. He had little reason to do so, but good to know it could be done.

At Ithillien and Irata's praise, Calder smiles, looking almost bashful. He's glad it was a good idea, and makes mental note to craft many more plates. His skill at metalworking would be handy, and he could give the plates to the rest of the team. He'd been wary of doing so until he knew that just crafting the plate did not invoke it's magic somehow. He puts the plate back into a pocket, agreeing with Irata's assessment of the proper time and place to activate it.

Ithillien then plucked quite a thick book from the bookshelf along the wall, bound in red leather. The other members of his team thumbed through it, but Calder refrained. It seemed the tome held information that could be useful for keeping control of his newfound urges, but it would take him quite some time to read through it. He'd grown more adept at reading during his training in Kandar, but it was still far from his strong suit.

As the party moves through the Fork Gate, Calder's more than a little surprised at the sheer number of people here. He'd expected a few dozen refugees, scared and starving after fleeing their homes. But this was, while a little ramshackle and small, a functioning community.

"Are all of these people from Rivenvale? Or have they mixed with others who already live outside the city gates?"

His lack of knowledge of the Bürach Empire, and Altenheim in particular, is showing, and he doesn't like it. He's working from a deficit of knowledge, and the first step of a hunt is knowing your prey.

His attention turns to those outside the Church; another building he wasn't terribly familiar with. But the quantity of the wounded was odd, as well.

"What's going on here, that has caused so many to be injured? And yet, no one seems worried. If they'd been hurt fighting the thing stalking the Rivens, wouldn't more people be afraid?"

Conversation now turned toward splitting up, and how to properly gather information. Calder frowned, looking pensive. He's pretty well-spoken, but only because he learned High Bürach from a bunch of diplomats. He's not dumb, but he remembers where he comes from; an isolated community in the Valikan wastes, scratching out a living through hunting and gathering. He also knows he cuts an intimidating figure, which limits his usefulness in social situations. This is not the type of hunting he was skilled in, and he has no shame saying so.

"I am not clever in thought or speech; I would perhaps help most by accompanying someone who is, or speaking to someone who doesn't expect me to be. A place where my size and martial appearance would benefit, not hinder. The adventurers, perhaps?"

Posted (edited)

Zweitermon 24, Saturday Evening | The Red Masque Atelier | Lower Midtown, Altenheim

Weather: Light Fog | Resolve Points: 1

As the party observes the group, they notice a few unhappy or worried faces mixed in the crowd and on the outskirts of the square. Perhaps, it would be easiest to start with these individuals.

While the majority of the citizens in the square are happy, there are a few who do not actively participate as well. A group of men sit across the road, drinking and talking. They do not laugh or smile, and seem to mutter angrily from time to time. When they do turn their gaze occasionally towards the square, it is anything but happy or warm.

Most of the adventurers lined outside of the church look unhurried and stable. However, there is a blonde-haired man with a particularly grim and pained face sitting while surrounded by three comrades. His right arm is conspicuously missing, although it has been wrapped in a clean bandage, while he waits his turn. His other hand grasps a leather wineskin, from which he takes regular sips.

A woman looks downcast as she stands alongside her husband and two excited children by the stage. When the husband or children turn to look towards her, she replies with a smile and a brief conversation. However, it is apparent the woman is not enjoying herself as much as the rest of her family.

Ithillien (Elf Plague Doctor) theme songimage.png.b39c5116678c8643735374c4cf246a0c.png

AC: 13 | HP: 17/17 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 14 | Features

"Your father, huh? I guess his state probably has something to do with your curse. I'm glad I guessed he wasn't hostile and left him alone when we first met."

"I don't see him per se, but I can sense him near my wards." Ithillien corrected Zorjana, with a shake of her head. "He came in with you, and left with you, both times. Despite how it appears, my shop is warded and incorporeal entities will not go undetected or travel freely there. I would avoid the church for the same reason. There's no telling what might happen to your father there."

Ithillien pulled out a few potions and tinctures from her pack and nodded to Zorjana's suggestion. "An aid relief volunteer could work. We can dilute a healing potion with water and we can set up an aid station. It should be enough to treat minor aches and pains caused by dancing or any accidents and emergencies we will see here. Do you want to work the alchemical station or the nurse station?"

"I think they're here for healing of some kind." The Elf replied to Zefelle and Irata's suspicions of the armed adventurers, noting the injuries of the adventurers in the line. "It should be very expensive to get magical healing, so I'm curious what the church is doing exactly in the refugee camp. It is unusual to see a new church being constructed near a refugee camp."

"You would probably stand out the least alongside the adventurers." Ithillien agreed with Calder. "You could also stand guard and watch for any strangers approaching us, or as backup in case any of us find ourselves in trouble. A third option might be to use your skills as a craftsman and have you talk with the Dwarvish workers."

"A good place for a ward is near a major road or thoroughfare. We have a few placed near the carriage tracks just to monitor traffic through the city." Ithillien explained. "The refugee camp doesn't have any established roads for us to do that yet, but we can probably place the one you brought near a commonly used path once everyone leaves."

Show OOC

OOC: You can place the ward in a specific place that you think is suspicious. However, you can also observe or ask around for commonly used traffic routes and plant them there.

Edited by MidnightPoet (see edit history)

image.png.151b43d3972c6aaf5754d0d4e1c5970c.pngZorjana Teodozja LN Human Noble, "Haunted" Sorceress | "Hexblade" Warlock

• AC 17 • HP 19 • Init +4 • Passive Perception 13 • Devil's Sight 120' • Phantom Familiar

Zorjana telepathically converses with her father and sends him to spy on the angry men just outside the vicinity of the happier citizens. If they are holding a grudge about something maybe her father can uncover it. She looks to the men outside the church that seem like they need medical attention and she asks Ithillien, "What can we do for them?" She points to the injured men and hopes her elven handler has some remedies that can aid them. "They look like they need attention first. If we are to play the roll of Aid Workers then it seems we should start there. I have no means of aiding them. I hope you are better able to fill that roll. I can try and pry information."

OoC

OoC: At the moment she is just observing her surroundings and taking mental notes of people of interest. Her passive perception is average if not slightly above average so I don't expect her to discover any real fascinating clues or revelations at the moment.

Her skills of note are more persuasive conversation and historical book smarts. So she could in theory win people over with her recalling of historical events as a form of compelling factoids as they pertain to this particular situation.

I am not versed enough in this game's lore to know how to do that, but if the opportunity presents itself, let me know so I can try and craft an appropriate response.

Phantom Familiar

image.png.5b84c976506de9649458dc9b26c4aeb3.pngAntonas Dragan Teodozja [Phantom Familiar | medium undead]
• STR 1 (-5) DEX 14 (+2) CON 11 (+0) INT 10 (+0) WIS 10 (+0) CHA 11 (+0)

• AC 12 • HP 22 • Passive Perception 10 • Darkvision 60' • Fly 50'
• Damage Resistance: acid, cold, fire, lightning, thunder, and bludgeoning, piercing, slashing from non-magic attacks
• Damage Immunity: necrotic, poison
• Condition Immunities: charmed, exhaustion, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained, unconscious  

• Incorporeal Movement: can move through creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain; specter takes 1d10 (5) force damage if ends turn inside an object.
• Invisibility: can remain invisible until it attacks or cast a spell for its master.
• Sunlight Sensitivity: in sunlight specter has disadvantage on attacks and perception checks (sight).

• AVAILABLE @3rd Life Drain Attack (Action): melee spell attack +4, range 5' (1 target), 3d6 necrotic damage DC 10 Con save or target's Max HP reduced by damage taken (last until long rest). Target dies if effect reduces target's HP to Zero.

Edited by rauhric (see edit history)

Calder Ivarson (Goliath, Beast Hunter, Giant, Rune Knight Fighter 3) sheet token_1.png.3b5b1028efa8835152c60f74642d647d.png

HP: 36/36 | Hit Dice: 3d10 | AC: 19* | Init: +1 | PP: 13 | PI: 18 | Speed: 30ft | Langs: Valiki, Higher Bürach, Castinellan, Giant
Stone's Endurance: 2/2 | Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Giant Might: 2/2 | Fire Rune: 1/1 | Stone Rune: 1/1

Buffs: None | Debuffs: None | Resistance: None | Inspiration: 1 | Exhaustion: 0 | Available Funds: 276gp

Calder looks thoughtful as Ithillien speaks. He agrees that among the adventurers, he would stand out the least; however, he isn't sure if he trusts himself to lead their information-gathering efforts toward them. Even beyond his physical appearance, this isn't his first language, and he can be a little tongue-tied or uncouth. Not the best foot forward when gathering clues.

Looking uncharacteristically unsure, Calder says, "I agree; the adventurers might be best. I would prefer if someone else took the lead, but I can act as backup or stand guard as you suggest. I think I would serve better as an extra set of eyes and ears, to discern the truth of what is told to others. And if anyone needs help, shout, and I will be there."

token_1.png.a6f49fd7e2801849b51644c4d0ddf546.pngZefelle Copperspark, True neutral Lightfoot Halfling Druid 3

(Current HP: 27/ 27) | AC: 14 (16 shield equiped) | Spell Slots: 4 /2

StrSave -1
Athletics -1
9 (-1) | DexSave +2
Acrobatics +2 | Sleight of Hand +2 | Stealth +2
14 (+2) | ConSave +3
No skills associated.
16 (+3) | IntSave +4
Arcana +2 | History +2 | Investigation +2 | Nature +4 | Religion +2
14 (+2) | WisSave +6
Animal Handling +4 | Insight +6 | Medicine +4 | Perception +6 | Survival +4
18 (+4) | ChaSave +0
Deception +0 | Intimidation +0 | Performance +0 | Persuasion +0
10 (+0)

Prepared spellsCantrip: Chill touch, Poison spray, Shillelagh

Lv1: Entangle, Detect magic, Fairy fire, Speak with animals

Lv2: Blindness/Deafness, Gentle Repose, Summon beast, Spike growth, Moon beam

Passive perception: 16 | Passive insight: 16

Zefelle nodded in agreement with Calder's assessment, understanding his concerns about taking the lead in gathering information from the adventurers. She recognized the importance of playing to each other's strengths in such a delicate task.

"I understand your point, Calder," she said, offering him a reassuring smile. "I'm not a people person, so I'll also join you as the observer, providing back up if I may. Together, we can ensure that nothing slips past our notice."

With a glance at their contrasting sizes, Zefelle couldn't help but chuckle softly. "It's quite the ironic though??" she remarked, her eyes twinkling with amusement. "The tallest and the shortest of our group, side by side in the back row. Maybe we could give each other a lovely pet name, which would certainly unsettle those we encounter."

Edited by Harding (see edit history)

IMG_1213.png.b6c5e6c062fef027c2c1d35851261888.png"You... do look a little like a pair of travelling mummers. Or a great detective and their loyal assistant!"

Irata actually beams at that idea. She'd legitimately like to read a story like that. For now though, it's her turn to try and find a way to contribute. The little Inuqisitor gestures at her less-than-muscular build with a self-deprecating chuckle

"I don't think I can pull off veteran sellsword. But I can interview passers-by. People like to talk, and a few careful questions can go a long way."

She turns to the last member of their group with a smile, "Would you care to accompany me, Master Sparrow? Or would you rather try to investigate on your own?"

Sparrow (Wood Elf Specter, Soulknife Rogue 3) sheet songspacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 27/27 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Features

Sparrow follows along with the others quietly. He says little on the journey, contemplating his future and likely inevitable transformation into a ghost. He enjoys reading the first volume of Hearthkeeper Miran's Meditations on Temperance.

He agrees to splitting up, but he's not sure what kind of ruse to ty to deploy. He is a wanderer, and is used to not being trusted initially, but he is also fairly good at making sure people know that he is not a threat.

"I'll go with any of you who will have me. I'm better at staying out of the way than I am at getting others to talk, but I'll do my best."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.spacer.pngspacer.png