The Island at the Axis of the World | Act One: The Coaltongue

bwatford

Albert Montilla (Human Rogue)spacer.png

AC: 14  | HP: 24/24 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 15 | 

The room they all occupied offered a great overlook of the scene before them and at the center of it all is the Coaltongue. It felt like a long time ago but really this had been his life up until the completion of the boat. Weird to think, of all the strikes he had helped come to life, this was the one time he did the opposite of that. How many times did he have to tell an eager docker that it simply wasn't worth going against the grain here? This wasn't butting heads with the local police force here but basically an attack on the King himself. Surely there were those still rash enough to act amongst them but who?

"A lot of people and not a lot of time to deal with them all. With my experience I suspect that a number of dockers are unhappy they couldn't have their way during the construction of such a vessel. Now who among them would attempt something so foolhardy? That I cannot say with certainty." He'll say, turning back to the rest of his team. Each one of them were here because of the skillset they possessed and each one of them would be invaluable when it came to the task at hand. Focusing on the Major, "Do you really think that one of your fellow veterans would even consider making an attempt against their homeland like this simply because the designer is a tiefling?" He knew he never would understand simply because he had never lived through what they had, it still seemed a bit absurd in his mind.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Name
Insight Roll to profile crowd
keep(2d20,highest)+3 17,15

Valentine Wollstonecraft - Half-elf Sorcerer applicationspacer.png

AC: 12 (15 Mage Armor) | HP: 20/20 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 11 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Sorcery Points: 3/3 LR Unfinished: 1/1 LR

Val gathers a couple things from the quartermaster - a signal whistle, a set of manacles - but leaves most of the requisitions to the others. 

“I don't need much, so everyone else get what they need in case a fight breaks out. If there's any gold left over, maybe some healing potions would help.”

At the hotel room, he looks down on the crowd, looking for the appropriate threats. He defers to Albert to look for Dockers and Edward to look for disgruntled war veterans, instead focusing on fey agents and primalists. While he takes his job seriously, it is a nice view from the hotel, and the breeze off the sea feels calming against his skin. 

"This is a much better view than my apartment." That is an understatement. Val's apartment only has one small window that overlooks the train tracks. 

Mechanics

Notes

Stover Delft, Asst. Chief Inspector, Royal Homeland Constabulary, Flint branch
Margaret Saxby, Lady Inspectress, RHC, Flint branch
Ravissant Wolf Cell "The Wolves"

Skyseer Wrethu saw the wolf, while a symbolically dubious character, bringing the helpless lamb to succor in the only manner it could

Minister Harkover Lee. Most powerful mage in Risur

Geoff Masserde. Danoran Tiefling helping us build ships. Likes to drink.

Captain Rutger Smith. Captain of RNS Impossible. Likes philosophy.

Duchess Ethelyn of Shale. King's sister. Dislikes industry and supports Unseen Court.

Flint Governor Roland Stanfield. 5 centuries old after reincarnation.

King Aodhan. Old warrior. Has magic since he's king. 

Edited by BobtheWizard (see edit history)

Marguerite Fletcher (Human Ranger)spacer.png

Current AC: 15 (scale) | HP: 28/28 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 17 | Spell Slots: 1st 3/3 | DM Inspiration: 0/1

Marguerite stands transfixed at the window, arms folded. She shakes her head in disbelief. “Ghost ship,” she says, to nobody in particular. “If I didn’t know no better, I’d-a dead-reckoned that vessel to be a bona-fide ghost ship. Not a sail on her. She's-a like some giant rowboat o'da Devil. If I’d-a reported this on one-a my watches, my whole crew’d-a said my sheets was-a flappin’ rightly-loose!”

She squints her eyes, pressing her forehead against the glass. “They ain’t but two crewmen on-deck. She’s eight bells to launch. That deck oughtta be crawlin’ with sailors for da next four hours.” Marguerite shakes her head again. “But what would they do? There ain’t no lines t'be set on that thing."

Albert speaks up: "A lot of people and not a lot of time to deal with them all. With my experience I suspect that a number of dockers are unhappy they couldn't have their way during the construction of such a vessel. Now who among them would attempt something so foolhardy? That I cannot say with certainty."

Marguerite pulls away from the window, and looks back over her shoulder. "I'd bet my eye teeth dat Hana Soliogn also got somethin' brewin' today, for shore. Gale do got a meaner'n-midnight hate for these sorts-a affairs. An' dis one got an audience o' seven hundred, to boot."

Mechanics

Action: n/a

Bonus Action: n/a

Reaction: n/a

Move: n/a

Interact: n/a

Major Edwyrd Trakand (Retd.) 

(Old Human Fighter) applicationimage.jpeg.1a9dd91957ab6910b641deb636b8ad49.jpeg

AC: 12 | HP: 31/31| Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 14 | Second Wind: 1/1 S/LR Action Surge: 1/1 S/LR | Superiority Dice: 4/4 S/LR. 

Edwyrd grabs a few items from the quartermaster before leaving the RHC headquarters: Healing potion, Signal whistle, Manacles, Note pad/pencil and a mirror.

On his way to the Hotel Edward makes a quick detour to the Naval Barracks and makes a hasty requisition loan, finding the quartermaster favorable to an old Vet with a juicy story of the fourth war. Acquiring a loan of some serviceable scale mail.

The Major is standing straight as a statue surveying the crowded scene from the hotel's upper floor window. He was initially quite taken aback by the opulence of the room, it must have cost the RHC a pretty penny to rent it for their use. The plush window drapes frame a large master crafted window which overlooks the street before the bridge. ‘Hmm this is a good view, although possibly a vantage from another angle would have been good too. Damn, we just don’t have much time to do this properly!’ The happy noise of the crowd reaching their ears even a few stories up, oblivious to the scrutiny they are currently under. 

His right hand resting on his walking cane while the other is tucked in the small of his back, with his left hand turning over and over an interesting glass looking chess piece. Obviously lost in the act of scanning the crowd, his face scowls like a hawk searching for prey, he doesn’t answer Albert straight away.

“Do you really think that one of your fellow veterans would even consider making an attempt against their homeland like this simply because the designer is a tiefling?" Asks Albert of Edwyrd.

Well Sir, I would like to think not. It would be a bit of a strange play given that Massarde is helping us after all. I would hope their honour would prevent such treasonous acts. But, there might be some poor soldiers out there who have been neglected upon returning home from the war. Or maybe they have injuries which prevent them from getting decent jobs. These kinds of things can change a man’s heart and stain his soul against that which he used to hold dear. Or because of it they don’t want to see further bloodshed. In either case, if they do appear they would be dangerous trained killers and I’d advise caution in engaging with them.” 

He had already spotted a few men and women with military colours on in the crowd but they didn’t appear to acting strangely. What gave him a slight chill was that he had noticed a few small groups of people wearing similar clothing, who didn’t seem to be enjoying the hype that the rest of the crowd was feeling. Maybe nothing, but possibly worth something to get checked out.

Turning away from the window and walking down the line of the new Ravissant Wolf Cell, he couldn’t have guessed such a mixed bag would work so effectively together. He stopped to check with each of the others and ask what they had seen that might be suspicious. He made notes as he went on his pad of paper as he wanted to make sure a thorough report is given to Police Officer Bellastair. “Well Albert, you seem to have the most insight on potential troublemakers. I’ve taken some notes for you to pass on to Bellastair from us when you give your report.”

Mechanics

Main Hand: Hawk-headed Sword Cane

Marianna (Deva Cleric)spacer.png

AC: 18 | HP: 24/24 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 15 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | DM Inspiration: 0/1

As the others spoke between themselves, Marianna just watched the crowds below. "People looking to cause trouble will try to stick closer to others during checkpoints." The murmur was like an addendum to the topic they were already covering, her eyes flicking over the crowd. There were far too many for her to assess, but it seemed almost like she was willing to take on the challenge before she paused and turned, smiling at the team-- her team.

Yes, she belonged with this team now.

"I believe they will most like to stick to others of their socio-economic status, a group is harder to parse to find the malignant entities than individuals, and likely split off more easily once past checkpoints and other security chokepoints." She glanced back at the window, her fingers squeezing each other the only indication that she already wished to be out there, nervous energy seeping in its own manner into her movements. 

Outside she couldn't help but trace her eye across the more colourful outfits, especially the one rainbow feather, as she watched the crowd.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Morningstar
Off Hand: Shield

Josephine Stevenson  applicationspacer.png

AC: 15 | HP: 35/35 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 10 | Rages: 3/3 

Josephine had entered the room on her own, depositing an unlikely backpack next to the door and laying a shield and heavy hammer on top of it. She didn't know where this was going, but she always strove to be prepared. She took a moment to tuck a new signal whistle into the sleeve of her fitted coat and place manacles and a healing potion into the deep pockets of her red velvet skirts. Her RHC badge was already pinned to the underside of one lapel.

Moving to the side of one window, she gazed out over the sea of flesh. She took a deep steadying breath and quietly extracted a dried fig from a velvet pocket. Nibbling on it delicately, she watched for anyone behaving unusually, people alone or people who were spending too much time watching their own surroundings instead of enjoying themselves.

She nodded companionably in agreement as the others spoke. They are an intelligent group - I hope I can help them somehow.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Walking stick

Edited by ariel (see edit history)

spacer.png

The Island at the Axis of the World
Act One: The Coaltongue

Over the next half an hour, as the Wolves set up shop in the room of the hotel on the 3rd floor, Inspector Montilla set to work on developing a threat profile for what the Wolves as well as the police should be looking for....

Threat Profile

Dockers are usually burly working men with eclectic fashion. Primalists have particular hairstyles, wear sandals, and adorn themselves with druidic religious icons. Fey saboteurs are typically elves or half-elves with impeccable grooming from their rituals, though they often try to hide this by dressing in soot-stained clothes. War veterans will usually be either in the mid- to late-twenties, or late-fifties/early-sixties, and they tend to be in better fighting shape than common citizens.

It was the most basic of profile, but it would allow the group to narrow the seven hundred or so individuals below into a much smaller group to scrutinize up close. As the clock wound to 1500 local, that meant they had exactly thirty minutes now to find the threats in the crowd. It was decided that with as much ground to cover as they had that everyone would cover a different quadrant of the crowd, by splitting up they could cover more ground but one of them would have to deliver the threat profile to the police.

With the information in hand the group headed down and out into the crowd to look at the possible suspects closer.

image.png.08c302c629b2d8a11777f3ad5916ab27.png

Crowd Security Scene Notes

1500 local - Moonday, April the 1st, 501 AOV

Show Scene Instructions

To set the tone for the campaign, the first encounter is a quick investigation. Thousands of visitors have poured into the city, hoping to see the king. They’ve gathered in Royal Square, on the mainland side of a bridge that leads to the Royal Shipyard. The police are counting off exactly seven hundred people who will be let onto the bridge and into Fleet Square on the shipyard island so that they can cheer as the carriages of the king and other dignitaries as they arrive.

Crowd Security

Goal Two: Brief the Party and Police and Canvas the Crowd
Skill Challenge: 10 minutes
You have to look for possible threats out of hundreds of men, women, and scampering children. Work together and with the police to survey the whole crowd.

One player will need to brief the police of the threat profile that Inspector Montilla came up with. All other players can work the crowd (see below)

The crowd can be roughly divided into four quadrants. We will call them quadrant A, B, C & D. To search the whole thing for people matching the above profiles, the party has to succeed a total of four checks (1 in each quadrant), but they can do that with any combination of the following methods (or creative ideas of their own).

• Mingle with the Crowd. (Insight DC 15) A PC could go into the crowd and look for people who match the profiles.
  • Recruit the Cops. (Persuasion DC 15) A PC might coordinate a small group of cops to also scan the crowd.
  • Recruit some Rascals. (Persuasion or History DC 15) A PC could try to convince a few kids to be his eyes and ears.
  • Scan the Crowd. (Perception DC 15) A PC can watch from afar to spot people who look like they match the profile.

How and what to post:

Each player will be making only one post during this part....

1. Your post should cover a span of ten minutes of time.
  2. Explain what you are doing and how.
  3. If you're the one briefing the police, then no roll is needed but you need to walk through how you are briefing them at the checkpoint. Please feel free to ad-lib their reactions etc. Only one character needs to brief the police.
  4. All other characters pick a quadrant to work in, pick what method you are using to search through the crowd using one of the above methods or create your own and roll the appropriate check for the appropriate skill that goes with it. Remember that your post needs to be descriptive of the method used and cover a ten-minute time frame.
  5. One successful check in each quadrant is required to pass the challenge with 100%. Only one check may be made per player and any spells such as guidance can only be used on your own check or someone else in your quadrant. (Can't help outside your quadrant.)

Notes: At this time, you are not questioning or apprehending anyone, you are picking out the possible suspects from the crowd, after I see the skill checks and how many succeed then I will tell you about the results on the next game update as we move to the next phase of the challenge.

You may also discuss matters on the Discord prior to making your post if you want to come up with a strategy of working together, who is working what quadrant, etc.

Show Active Maps

No Maps Currently Active!!

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION SCORES

Fletcher 17 | Marianna 15 | Montilla 15 | Trakand 14 | Wollstonecraft 11 | Stevenson 10

INITIATIVE

Not in Use!!

MECHANICS
Not in Use!!
CONDITIONS
Not in Use!!
DESCRIPTIONS
Not in Use!!
ALBERT MONTILLA

Hit Points: 24/24 

Hit Dice: 3/3
DM Inspiration: 1/1

JOSEPHINE STEVENSON

Hit Points: 35/35 

Rage: 3/3 *L

MARIANNA

Resistances: necrotic, radiant (cannot be blinded by bright light)

Channel Divinity:  1/1 *S

Eyes of Night: 1/1 *L

Hand of Retribution: 6/6 *L

Memory of Past Lifetimes: 1/1 *L

Spell Slots (ATK +5, DC 13) *L

• 1st Level: 4/4
  • 2nd Level: 2/2

MAJOR EDWYRD TRAKAND

Hit Points: 31/31 

Action Surge: 1/1 *S
Second Wind: 1/1 *S

Superiority Dice: 4/4 *S

MARGUERITE FLETCHER

Hit Points: 28/28 

• 1st Level: 3/3

VALENTINE WOLLSTONECRAFT

Hit Points: 20/20 

Resistances: charmed (magic can't put you to sleep)
Sorcery Points: 3/3 *L

Unfinished: 1/1 *L

Valentine Wollstonecraft - Half-elf Sorcerer applicationspacer.png

AC: 12 (15 Mage Armor) | HP: 20/20 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 11 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Sorcery Points: 3/3 LR Unfinished: 1/1 LR

Val listens to Albert describe the likely threats. Once the group had been briefed, and the plan decided, Val picks the first quadrant.

“I'll start here in Quadrant A.”

He makes his way down to the gathering crowd. He intends to find some of the police and see if they could help him, but first he runs into a young boy he knows, Oliver, running with a half dozen other children about the same age, all dressed in the rags of those without support. Oliver is an orphan about 11 years old. He lost his parents about a year and a half ago and it was one of Val's first jobs as a Spirit Medium, where Val helped Oliver's parents say goodbye to their son before they moved on. They had just enough to make a donation to the orphanage so Oliver wouldn't die on the streets, but not enough to give him a better life than that. While it is certainly not a good memory for the boy, perhaps it would be enough for him to help.

"Hello, Oliver. It's good to see you." Val bends down and gives the small boy a gentle hug. "How would you and your friends like to help us out? We heard rumors that there might be trouble tonight. Here's a silver for each of you for your help." Val describes the four groups and lets Oliver and the other children know where to find him.  Val then continues to observe the crowd and looks to see what other potential allies might be in the area.

Mechanics

Action: Persuasion of the urchins
Bonus Action: none
Move: to Quadrant A
Manipulate: none

Notes

Stover Delft, Asst. Chief Inspector, Royal Homeland Constabulary, Flint branch
Margaret Saxby, Lady Inspectress, RHC, Flint branch
Ravissant Wolf Cell "The Wolves"

Skyseer Wrethu saw the wolf, while a symbolically dubious character, bringing the helpless lamb to succor in the only manner it could

Minister Harkover Lee. Most powerful mage in Risur

Geoff Masserde. Danoran Tiefling helping us build ships. Likes to drink.

Captain Rutger Smith. Captain of RNS Impossible. Likes philosophy.

Duchess Ethelyn of Shale. King's sister. Dislikes industry and supports Unseen Court.

Flint Governor Roland Stanfield. 5 centuries old after reincarnation.

King Aodhan. Old warrior. Has magic since he's king. 

Edited by BobtheWizard (see edit history)
Name
Persuasion
1d20+5 6

Marianna (Deva Cleric)spacer.png

AC: 18 | HP: 24/24 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 15 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | DM Inspiration: 0/1

"I'll take Quadrant D." Quiet and calmly, Marianna announces her intent, then slipped down the way to her designated location. There was a rickety little stairs area that she had set her eyes on before, and now as she arrived she strode over with strong intent. It wasn't the vantage point she wanted exactly but it would suffice.

The problems only arose once she arrived and found another watcher, a man in the coverings of a Docker, who had taken her vantage point for himself. It wasn't a good spot for anyone clamouring to get in, so she had expected it to be free. She frowned.

She could argue the spot, but between blinks of her eyes the Deva decided against it. Why was he watching? Curiosity? Malignant activity? For whatever reason, a closer eye wouldn't hurt him, and it wasn't like he was so large that she couldn't take her own spot over.

It was minutes later that she found herself next to the docker, both looking out over the crowd in a relaxed manner. The Docker, for his part, seemed bemused that this well dressed woman had joined him, and glanced easily between the view and her, but it was clear just from her posture that she wasn't interested in conversation.

Did he try talking to her?

Marianna wasn't sure exactly. As the minutes passed her eyes roved over the crowd, her quadrant being filed piece by piece into the little envelopes that her group had decided to make. It was easy to sort a defined set of information set by others, it was harder to create it yourself.

She caught her brain wandering on the process to make such a definite line between profiles, at which point she mustered it back under control. Seven? Ten? She wasn't sure exactly how many minutes had passed, but she turned to leave her spot and quickly drop her notes onto paper for the rest when she caught sight of her partner on this view again.

Docker, envelope 1.

Her brain categorised him before it caught up to the details, and Marianna gave the exasperated man a polite nod.

"Thank you for your company." The polite words were all that was given, to the immense surprise of the Docker who seemed like he'd not expected her to speak at all! But with that one line, she departed their shared location, her mind already sorting locations to deliver to the constabularies of the local area to her.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Morningstar
Off Hand: Shield

Edited by AvalonR (see edit history)
Name
Perception for Quadrant D
1d20+5 3
Inspiration Reroll: Perception for Quadrant D
1d20+5 10

Current AC: 15 (scale) | HP: 28/28 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 17 | Spell Slots: 1st 3/3 | DM Inspiration: 0/1

After the briefing Marguerite again stares out the window of the hotel room, down at the writhing throng of people near the bridge. “Major, if-a you conducive to da idea, how’bout I take myself a up-close look-see at dose folks down'n’round dat-there fountain?”

After Trakand answers, Marguerite fishes in her pouch and pulls out a shiny new RHC Investigator badge. Moving to the looking-glass, she affixes it to the breast of her pristine scale mail armor, recently acquired from the RHC quartermaster. With more than a little pride in her eyes, she fusses with the badge's orientation, primly brushes off the nameplate, and heads out the door.

Outside, at ground level, the ranger wends her way toward the masses. Her eyes are already on the move, watching for trouble. Upon arrival she approaches a group of Flint Police officers who are preparing to conduct crowd control duties. She easily picks out a tall, short-haired blonde woman wearing a uniform with lieutenant's stripes, and approaches her.

"S'cuse me, ma'am?" Marguerite says, tapping the RHC badge on her chest. The woman turns to face her. “Ma’am, I be Inspector Marguerite Fletcher, Royal Homeland Constabulary, Flint Branch. I was-a wonderin’ if ya’ll had three or four able-bodied men ‘could come ‘long with me. I have ‘em back to ya'll in two’n-a-half heartbeats.”

The lieutenant squints at the badge, then looks up at Marguerite. “Nice to have you, Inspectress. I'm Lieutenant Sallie Riss. Look, we don’t have many men to spare. How many, exactly, do you need? Three or four?”

“I can make-do with an even two, Lieutenant. That way you ain't need to cut any in half.” Marguerite gives a playful smile, then points at the nearby fountain. “We be right over there by dat fountain for a scant-few minutes. I have ‘em back to you well before ya'll open dem checkpoints-a yours.”

Lieutenant Riss waves her hand at the cluster of officers next to her. “Davis! Byrne! Front and center!” Two exceptionally young males approach, awkwardly greet their superior, and have a short, silent discussion with her. The rookies then fall in before Marguerite. "Officers Davis and Byrne will assist you, Inspectress Fletcher."

Marguerite claps them both on the back, and begins walking towards the fountain. “Mr. Byrne, Mr. Davis? Ya’ll follow me, won't you?” The two men follow, and Marguerite continues talking, her voice dripping with charm, like a chanted hymn. "Gentlemen, we be on da lookout for folks who up to no good. An' we got ourselves ten short minutes to find ‘em. Use your judgement, now. But be quick ‘bout it. Anyone look fishy, just ask ‘em three-fingers-full-a questions: what they name is, where they from, where they work. Dat sorta thing. Rattle they bunks 'round a bit."

When the three approach their destination, Marguerite points up to the fountain. “Ya'll be-a findin’ me up yonder-there when you done. Work you way toward the water 'til you hit it. Then report front'n center.”

As the officers split up and begin combing through the crowd, Marguerite climbs the six stairs onto the fountain's raised concrete platform. There, she turns to face the scene, crosses her arms, and watches the crowds ebb and flow around the two men as they weave their way through. Marguerite sees a group of children run away from the officers, chasing each other in a mock cops-and-robbers game. A moment later an argument breaks out with one officer, but it's only because the man being questioned thought he was trying to muscle his way past, closer to the checkpoint. The ranger's head snaps to when a sylvan phrase catches her attention, until she realizes it's only a few human teenagers practicing the language of the Dreaming. There are dozens of interactions—hundreds of people—and Marguerite's eyes are moving, moving, constantly moving, taking in each detail, until—

There. Right there. That's them. It's got to be.

A few minutes later, the two officers come back and give their full report. Marguerite listens with polite attentiveness, but she already has the information she needs.

"Ya'll done good, men. Now go on back to da lieutenant. Tell her t'give ya'll a raise for such fine handiwork."

OOC

Marguerite is scanning the crowd at sector B.

Mechanics

Name
Perception (with Advantage)
keep(2d20,highest)+7 13,1

Albert Montilla (Human Rogue)spacer.png

AC: 14  | HP: 24/24 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 15 | 

Albert headed to quadrant C with Josephine right beside him. They looked out of place together, a scoundrel and a much more refined lady. Whatever looks they got weren't important however as they had a job to do. He knew if there were any dockers in the crowd he could probably lure them out with a good ol' docker's jank but unfortunately dockers were not the only threat here. Finding a small vantage point, they began scanning over the crowd.

"What brought you to join the RHC? Heck I know I never saw myself in this position." He chuckles heartily following the question. "Uniforms, protocol, hierarchies and bureaucracy. The one thing that keeps me going is a hope that with the work we do here we can help someone. It also doesn't hurt that I seem to be good at it either" His eyes are intently focused on the crowd before him during their conversation when suddenly he points towards someone off in the distance.

"Look! Do you see them? They fit the profile we are looking for. They look much burlier and muscular than what I expect of the common man, you can tell by the tightness of their clothes. Dockers or veterans I'd figure." He spouts off a brief description with an excitement as if he were pointing out stars in the night sky. They might have been having a conversation the whole time but luckily speech and sight could happen simultaneously. Hopefully the rest of the team were having similar luck in finding their marks amongst the crowd.

Mechanics

Edited by Landid (see edit history)
Name
Quad C Perception to Scan Crowd
1d20+5 14

Josephine Stevenson  applicationspacer.png

AC: 15 | HP: 35/35 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 10 | Rages: 3/3 

Josephine followed Albert into the crowd, attempting, as much as she could, not to bump into anyone. Focusing on her new companion, she responded to his question on what brought her to the constabulary. Speaking with a hint of melancholy in her smooth tones. "They helped me when I could not help myself. I owe them everything."

"Now, just like you, I want to help people. Unlike you... I'm not sure I'm very good at it. But, I will do everything I can." She nodded and smiled. "I would be interested to know how you and the others came to the RHC as well... when there is time?" She tried to turn her mind to the task at hand, looking for suspects. Still, she was finding it hard to concentrate.

Too many people, too many smells, too close. She gripped her walking cane tightly, perhaps too tightly, and stared into the crowd, trying to adopt an analytical attitude.

Relief. When Albert pointed out a potential mark, deep frown lines on Josephine's forehead disappeared. "Excellent, well done sir." 

Mechanics

Main Hand: Walking stick

Major Edwyrd Trakand (Retd.) 

(Old Human Fighter) applicationimage.jpeg.1a9dd91957ab6910b641deb636b8ad49.jpeg

AC: 12 | HP: 31/31| Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 14 | Second Wind: 1/1 S/LR Action Surge: 1/1 S/LR | Superiority Dice: 4/4 S/LR. 

Down at the start of the stone flagged bridge, just off to one side, Major Trakand delivered the threat profile to the assembled police officers. His parade ground voice carried easily over the slightly smog filled air of the afternoon. The large group of police officers were a little nervous looking but he could see determination in their eyes. They were also visibly impressed and a bit wide eyed at him ‘this old war vet’ in his pressed RHC uniform and war medals, and equally so in the other RHC Cell members arrayed in front of them, A few murmured voices could be heard prior mentioning ‘Ravissant Wolf’. 

Edwyrd kept it quick as he knew time was of the essence, Right men and women, we all know why we’re here. Ravissant Wolf Cell” indicating the group to either side of him, “have identified our four most likely targets: Dockers are usually burly working men with eclectic fashion. Primalists have particular hairstyles, wear sandals, and adorn themselves with druidic religious icons. Fey saboteurs are typically elves or half-elves with impeccable grooming from their rituals, though they often try to hide this by dressing in soot-stained clothes. War veterans will usually be either in the mid- to late-twenties, or late-fifties/early-sixties, and they tend to be in better fighting shape than common citizens.” 

Now, we only have a short time to sift this crowd for targets so let’s get it done sharp and thorough! Ravissant Wolf members will be taking a quadrant each. Look to them for guidance if needs be and be ready to back their lead if they call for it! We all need to work together to keep his Majesty and the people safe.”

Turning the Police back over to their leading Officer Bellastair, Edward turned to the rest of the Wolves Ok Lads and Ladies, best of luck out there. Which quadrants do you all wish to search? Marguerite you mentioned the fountain earlier in the hotel room, the rest of you have the other three I guess to choose from.  I’ll remain up there on those shipping crates and keep an eye over the crowd and your positions if I can. If you get into any bother try to signal and I’ll send police in after you.” 

Edwyrd climbs the crates and watches as the Wolves melt into the crowd on the hunt. 

Mechanics

Main Hand: Hawk-headed Sword Cane

spacer.png

The Island at the Axis of the World
Act One: The Coaltongue

The swelling crowd of seven hundred of Flint's, finest unwashed masses noisily passed through the checkpoints. Thousands of visitors had poured into the city over the last week hoping to see the King. The city, already a metropolis of modern design and progress had swelled in the last forty years after King Aodhan, then a common soldier during the Third Yerasol War had captured Danor's first steam-powered warship and sailed it single handedly into Flint's harbor as a spoil of war. It was then that the industrial revolution had truly begun. In the four decades since, Risur went from owning a single captured steam engine into a flurry of activity and enterprise, sparking a massive boom, unseen since King Kelland tamed the lord spirits of field and forest and of marsh and mountain.

Passing through and surveying the crowd, the R.H.S. Cell Ravissant Wolf, watched as yellow marked pages handed out leaflets of lyric sheets, block printed with the royal anthem, in order to ensure the crowds could get the later lyrics right. As one yellow marked page brushed by her, Inspector Fletcher snorted. Whose idea it was to have a national anthem that was three minutes long was anyone's guess. Meanwhile the other wolves moved through the crowd, hunting in a pack while they slowly began to draw in on their quarry, separating people of interest from innocent partygoers.

"TWENTY MINUTES! Twenty minutes before the parade starts!" Yells another yellow clad page through a bullhorn standing atop a stack of crates the mass of people below him. "Please take a leaflet for our glorious anthem!" The page cries out again mixing with the sounds of idle chatter, the stamp of feet and the cawing of seagulls above.

Looking from the top of the crate he was standing on, Major Trakand, smiled as he watched one of his team members scampers through the crowd. Twenty minutes indeed.

Crowd Security Scene Notes

1510 local - Moonday, April the 1st, 501 AOV

Show Scene Instructions

Crowd Security
Successes So Far: 4

Goal Three: Find the Suspects

Skill Challenge: 10 minutes

You’ve picked out about twenty people of interest, but you need to separate the innocent parade-goers from actual threats.

Failed skill checks here probably result in the player pulling aside innocent people, and then wasting time questioning them before realizing they’re not a threat.

The PCs need four successes. The first two successes identify a docker longshoreman named Coulton.

The third success identifies a docker longshoreman named Mercliffe.

A fourth success identifies a docker longshoreman named Iscalio.

If the PCs are smart, they can pull the three aside peacefully, but if they antagonize the men, the dockers might try to fight.

You can use one of the following to make your check;

• Confrontation. (Insight DC 15) A PC could go to people of interest and ask questions.
  • Lying. (Deception DC 15) A PC might feign camaraderie with the different people of interest in an effort to draw out an admission.
  • Good Cop, Bad Cop. (Intimidation or Persuasion DC 15, requires two PC's working together.) This option is only available once the party identifies Coulton. Two PCs must both spend time on this action. One PC makes an Intimidate check, and another makes a Diplomacy check. They each gain advantage to their check. If both checks succeed, the dockers also rat out a fourth docker, a war veteran named Dafton, which counts as a success on goal four.
  • Observation. (Perception DC 15) A PC could watch the various people of interest to see how they react to all the law enforcement activity.
  • Yank Them All (Stealth DC 15). A PC might just grab as many people of interest as possible, but must do so discreetly so that no actual threats get tipped off and try to hide in the crowd.

How and what to post:

Each player will be making only one post during this part....

1. Your post should cover a span of ten minutes of time.
  2. Explain what you are doing and how.
  3. Make the check of your choice above, if your check identifies one of the men you are after, describe how he is handled based on the type of check that you made to find him.
  4. Four successful checks are required to pass the challenge with 100%. It is possible to make six successes if two players team up on Coulton after he is discovered. (See above) if this is successful a fourth man is discovered.

Notes: At this time, you are pulling suspects aside for questioning, failed checks means you pulled aside someone that is innocent and wasted time, after I see the skill checks and how many succeed then I will tell you about the results on the next game update as we move to the next phase of the challenge.

You may also discuss matters in the Discord prior to making your post if you want to come up with a strategy.

Show Active Maps

No Maps Currently Active!!

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION SCORES

Fletcher 17 | Marianna 15 | Montilla 15 | Trakand 14 | Wollstonecraft 11 | Stevenson 10

INITIATIVE

Not in Use!!

MECHANICS
Not in Use!!
CONDITIONS
Not in Use!!
DESCRIPTIONS
Not in Use!!
ALBERT MONTILLA

JOSEPHINE STEVENSON

Hit Points: 35/35 

Rage: 3/3 *L

MARIANNA

Resistances: necrotic, radiant (cannot be blinded by bright light)

Channel Divinity:  1/1 *S

Eyes of Night: 1/1 *L

Hand of Retribution: 6/6 *L

Memory of Past Lifetimes: 1/1 *L

MAJOR EDWYRD TRAKAND

Hit Points: 31/31 

Action Surge: 1/1 *S
Second Wind: 1/1 *S

Superiority Dice: 4/4 *S

MARGUERITE FLETCHER

Hit Points: 28/28 

• 1st Level: 3/3

VALENTINE WOLLSTONECRAFT

Hit Points: 20/20 

Resistances: charmed (magic can't put you to sleep)
Sorcery Points: 3/3 *L

Unfinished: 1/1 *L

As the team members spread out to isolate the potential threats, Marguerite waited. After her comrades almost disappeared through the swarming crowds, she began to follow, her eyes scanning the crowd ahead of her, just behind the other Wolves. Someone would betray themselves, once they got some space between themselves and the law.

Most of the audience members were pre-occupied with one other, or the newly arrived pages, or their leaflets. Few paid any attention to the RHC Inspectors ahead of her. One group of men—obviously inebriated—had already begun reciting the Risuri National Anthem, waving their lyric sheets in the air. A small cluster of laughing children had turned their anthems into paper airplanes, and were launching them gleefully overhead. Nothing of note, nothing dangerous, just a lot of people being people, and getting riled up for the big event.

Marguerite changes directions, cutting through towards another Wolf at work, on the opposite corner of the crowd. Nearby, a couple are in the middle of an argument about the nomenclature of the R.N.S. Coaltongue.

"It stands for "Royal" Navy! It belongs to the king!" the man booms.

"I'm telling you, it's "Risuri" Navy!" screeches the woman.  "The king don't live forever." She waves her leaflet in the air. "But the kingdom does!"

"It ain't my ship, and I'm part of the kingdom. The Coaltongue is King Aodhan's. And that bloody well makes it Royal!"

Marguerite's attention wavers as she casts a fierce glance at the two. She opens her mouth to put the argument to an end, but pauses. Just behind them, towards the edge of a gap in the crowd, where another Inspector had just passed through, is a massive man in yellow shoes, leaflet held to his face. He seems to be intently reading the lyrics to the national anthem. But as the gap in the crowd begins to close, he hastily lowers the sheet, unconsciously crumples it in his fist, and begins to slink away in the opposite direction.

The ranger moves quickly to head him off. Stepping in front of the man and tapping her badge at him, she presents a broad and friendly smile. "S'cuse me, now, Sir. I be Inspector Marguerite Fletcher of da Royal Homeland Constabulary. I was-a wonderin' if you could-a trouble you-self t'come on 'long with me for a spell. We got a mite-few questions t'ask a few select ind'viduals. Mostly for security, see. But also..." Marguerite leans in close and lowers her voice. "...I need you t'tell me where ta find a dandy pair-a shoes like what'choo got on your hip-stumps right 'bout now!" 

She redoubles her smile and steps back. "C'mon, now. It only take a heartbeat. An' I promise t'have you back in your place in dis sorry 'scuse for a line."

Taking a tentative step away, Marguerite waves a friendly, beckoning hand in her direction.

Mechanics

Edited by Mourning Star
fleshing out the Perception roll (see edit history)
Name
Perception
1d20+7 12