The Island at the Axis of the World | Act One: The Coaltongue

bwatford

Josephine Stevenson  applicationspacer.png

AC: 15 | HP: 35/35 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 10 | Rages: 3/3 

Jospehine, now separated from Albert, was feeling quite like an odd duckling in a flock of seagulls. There were other women in the crowd and some dressed in a similar fashion, but none were alone. They seemed to all have a partner or children or a gaggle of friends about them. Any person would have to be very fond of ships or kings or general spectacles to come down here alone.

If Robert were here, perhaps we would have come down to see the ship. It would have been a very different sort of day.

With a clipped sigh, she started moving, skirting along the outer edge of the mass of humanity. She was looking for one of the marks that Albert had noticed earlier. Tall, burly, ill-fitting clothes. 

With almost regret, she spotted one. She knew her only approach was a direct one and before she lost nerve, or sight of him, she plunged forward into the crowd. With some deft steps, she managed to avoid bumping into anyone as she came up beside him. She lifted her walking cane in a gentle wave to get his attention and gazed up with intent to consider his features.

She turned her lapel to display her RHC badge. "Good day, sir. We are conducting some random interviews and looking for some citizen support at this event. I am hoping you might spare me a few moments?" Before he could protest, she continued. "You are taller than most here, have you noticed any odd behaviours in the crowd?" Quickly, she glanced around and then returned her eyes to his face, looking for any telltale change in his expression.

He looked at her, grinning. "The strangest thing I've seen today... is you coming up to talk to me." Josephine tilted her head considering, there was something in the grin, something wrong. She waited. As time stretched and began to feel heavy, he eventually, continued. "Well... I did some some elven blood making their way, quick-like, over there." He gestured non-chalantly in a vague direction. 

At this point, Josephine was sure he was just trying to get her to move along, but she took it as an opportunity. "Excellent, we very much appreciate your support. If you could come this way and give one of the constables a full description of them?"

She gestered with her cane that he should lead the way back towards the main group of constables.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Walking stick
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Edited by ariel
grammar me this! (see edit history)
Name
Insight (using DM inspiration)
Keep(2d20,Highest)+3 12,4

Marianna (Deva Cleric)spacer.png

AC: 18 | HP: 24/24 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 15 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | DM Inspiration: 0/1

They'd done good work, of course. This group had shown itself to be made of talented figures. The curiosity of nabbing the info of the other sectors played through her mind as they narrowed it down to certain areas, and went for the second sweep. The group operating almost as a well oiled machine, and she knew that Wolf... No it was wollstone or something? Anyway the investigator would be good at dealing with miscreants once they identified them.

Mariana wandered through the crowd now, a little disoriented by the proximity compared to the previous distance, and she slowly began to check the people against the records, narrowing groups and identifying potential targets. It would have gone fine, of course, but for a now somewhat familiar bulk taking up the road in front of her suddenly.

"'Scuse me miss, didn't get'cha name when you was up on the overhang with me."

Ah, yes, of course. Lack of proper conversation cause people to feel slighted. She remembered that somewhere in her notations of interactions. But still she shook her head, trying to continue her work around the figure. "I'm sorry, I'm currently working, can you ask after?" She followed up with what she hoped was a friendly smile, trying not to annoy the poor man while also just getting back to her job.

"Well, sure I can see you and the rubs are doing something, but can't spare me just a name?" He wasn't exactly rude in his interruptions, but he was certainly persistent and for some reason that irked Marianna more than if he'd just been rude. This way she didn't have a reason to blow him off according to etiquette and she just didn't have the interest in dealing with him now.

"I -- Alright I don't want to really do this in a difficult manner but I'm a member of the folk helping the Guard here, please step aside or I will have to--" She paused trying to remember the phrase, it was something she had been told they were allowed to take people in for, obstruction?

It took her precious minutes to finally convince the hanger on he was being exactly that, an obstruction, with Marianna unfortunately distracted so much she had to review the information before continuing.

And by the time it'd reached that point she knew she'd lost precious minutes and they'd be potentially moving to grab identified targets.

Need to be firmer. The mutter in the back of her head repeated.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Morningstar
Off Hand: Shield

Edited by AvalonR (see edit history)
Name
Perception Again
1d20+5 5

Valentine Wollstonecraft - Half-elf Sorcerer applicationspacer.png

AC: 12 (15 Mage Armor) | HP: 20/20 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 11 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Sorcery Points: 3/3 LR Unfinished: 1/1 LR

Once Marguerite and Josephine identify Coulton as our first trouble maker, Val tries to get him to give up the identities of his co-conspirators. He is wearing his gentlemen's clothes and hopes the added sophistication will lend some truth to what he is about to say.

“You are in a lot of trouble, Mr. Coulton. If you don't cooperate, the nobles and the industrial tycoons will team up to make life difficult not just for you, but for your family, and anyone you've ever been friends with. Do not doubt that they will find them all. Tell me who else are you working with.”

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty

Action: Intimidation of Coulton
Bonus Action: none
Move: to Quadrant A
Manipulate: none

Notes

Stover Delft, Asst. Chief Inspector, Royal Homeland Constabulary, Flint branch
Margaret Saxby, Lady Inspectress, RHC, Flint branch
Ravissant Wolf Cell "The Wolves"

Skyseer Wrethu saw the wolf, while a symbolically dubious character, bringing the helpless lamb to succor in the only manner it could

Minister Harkover Lee. Most powerful mage in Risur

Geoff Masserde. Danoran Tiefling helping us build ships. Likes to drink.

Captain Rutger Smith. Captain of RNS Impossible. Likes philosophy.

Duchess Ethelyn of Shale. King's sister. Dislikes industry and supports Unseen Court.

Flint Governor Roland Stanfield. 5 centuries old after reincarnation.

King Aodhan. Old warrior. Has magic since he's king. 

Name
Intimidation
1d20+5 18

Major Edwyrd Trakand (Retd.)image.jpeg.1a9dd91957ab6910b641deb636b8ad49.jpeg - (Old Human Fighter)

AC: 12 | HP: 31/31| Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 14 | Second Wind: 1/1 S/LR | Action Surge: 1/1 S/LR | Superiority Dice: 4/4 S/LR. 

“TWENTY MINUTES! Twenty minutes before the parade starts!" Shouts the yellow clad page boy. The realization of how close they were to loosing these targets made Edwyrd grind the butt of his cane in annoyance into the storage crate below him. ‘Darn blast it! We’re cutting it fine and there are still a good number of targets to whittle down.’ 

‘I just need to spot… aha!’ Luckily from his raised vantage point it was a bit easier to see into the crowd. Although it still took a shift and break in the heaving swell of people to spot a group of three burly looking Dockers. The revelry and excitement of the crowd nearly masked their movement. It helped that they were moving with purpose through the crowd and at angles to the general flow. 

Not one for standing on the side lines and happy to get his hands dirty, the Major bounds down the crates. “You four Police Officers, on me now!” he shouts with practiced authority in his tone over to a group who were also scanning the crowd for targets. Noticing who the commanding voice came from they jumped to action and followed quickly. Somewhat taken aback by how spry and quick this old man was.  

Noting the direction and speed the Dockers had been tracking, Edwyrd swerves around them through the crowd and manages to cut in front. He positions himself and the police officers in their way like a hidden reef just below the waterline. 

A look of shock and panic crosses the Docker’s faces as they step out of the crowd and face to face with an RHC Inspector and a line of police. “Right lads, you seem to be heading somewhere urgently and I really want to know why and where? So why don’t you tell me who’s in charge here so we can go and have a nice chat?” As he says this, he closely looks at the body language and eyes of the Dockers to see who they look towards for guidance. ‘Come on dammit, give away your leader so I know which one of you nunks I need to haul out of here.’

As if on cue the two Dockers on the right wearing quite worn brown overalls looked towards the left most Docker in a stained blue jacket with thick black workers trousers. “Right Police, grab this gent here, he’s the one we want to talk to. Grab the others too mind you.” Lending a hand to the police in making sure none of them make a break for it. 

Mechanics

Main Hand: Hawk-headed Sword Cane

Name
Insight
1d20+4 13

Albert Montilla (Human Rogue)spacer.png

AC: 14  | HP: 24/24 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 15 | 

Albert stood there as Val went right into it with Coulton. Threats were thrown not only against the man himself but every single person he would have ever thought to turn to. Perhaps it was a bit harsh but they needed results and were on a timetable. Of course Val's name held a bit of weight to it to anyone who knew anything about the various corporations based out of Flint. Val's tirade seemed to have an effect on the man even if it did not produce a name. As he finished, Albert stepped up and put a hand on his shoulder, "Here, I know him a bit better, let me try."

Offering a glass a water to the detained man, he pulls a chair up, flips it around and sits with his arms resting on the top of the back of the chair. "Coulton, Coulton, Coulton. How long have we known each other? Remember the rush we got from our first strike when the police showed up and we barely made it out? We made a difference there that day, yes we did. We actually helped people that day. That leads me to wonder who are you helping today? Sure, it wouldn't be the first time you've butted heads with the authorities but no one gains from this. You will only cause pain for those you hurt today, for yourself, and for those back home. It's the last thing I want to see happen to you, so please help us out. Who else is working with you?"

Coulton sighs and his face drops in defeat after he realizes Albert was right, there was a futility and danger to holding his tongue. After giving up the three names of his accomplices, Albert stands and offers his hand for Coulton to shake, "You're a good man Coulton, thank you. I will do my best to see you released from here as soon as possible, you have my word." With that he looks to Val and motions for them to leave. Nodding to the officer outside he signals that they are done and they can take the man back to holding. "Don't press charges if you can, he didn't do anything wrong." Walking side by side he pats Val on the back. "Good work lad, didn't figure you to be the one to be the bad cop in that routine but it worked." A smile beams across his face as he takes his arm off of Val. "We will have to grab a drink or two once all this is over!"

Mechanics

Edited by Landid (see edit history)
Name
Persuasion to find 4th Docker
Keep(2d20,Highest)+5 9,11

spacer.png

The Island at the Axis of the World
Act One: The Coaltongue

"TEN MINUTES! Ten minutes before the parade starts!" Bellows the yellow clad herald through a bullhorn from atop the stack of crates the mass of people below him. As the announcement rings through the royal square the gathered crowd buzzes in excitement. At the visitor control points leading into the square the Flint P.D. lead by Sergeant Bellastair begin a final check of the rows and rows of people waiting to greet their sovereign. The sound of the gathered crowd is nearly deafening as the wolves can make out various unsynchronized groups as they start singing the royal anthem or other festive sounds.

The mass of humanity is like a flood waiting to be unleashed and collectively the wolves know that they only have a few moments remaining before the ropes will be pulled back and the peasants will surge into the square. May the Old Gods help them should any threats escape their net.

Marguerite and Josephine

As the uniformed Marguerite approaches the suspect and tries to chat him up it is easily apparent that the act made the man extremely nervous, then suddenly the man quickly moved away from Marguerite, his escape seemingly cut off by the Flint PD that Josephine had put into action as Marguerite grasped the man's shoulder. As Josephine begins to pat the man down, she quickly takes note of the man's leather armor concealed below a cloak. Collecting the two daggers she had previously spotted she pockets them away. Glancing around behind him and to the left the suspect scowls, his face going hard. "Hey! I've rights. You can't just do that. You got police all over the place. Who do you think you are? We got laws here." Frowning he shrugs and tries to back pedal on his outburst. "I didn't know that I couldn't carry my daggers. The docks can be dangerous at night. I got a right to protect myself!"

The suspect Coulton is clearly lying. He knew that he was not supposed to be carrying concealed weapons and he is clearly trying to make a scene as if to warn someone else.

Major Edwyrd

As the constables that Edwyrd sent approached slowly, the greasy haired docker whirls and turns, looking Major Edwyrd in the face. "Get off me buddy!" He says gruffly to one of the officers as they grab his arm. Sneering arrogantly at the Major, Iscalio never notices the constables as they form a ring around him with their batons drawn menacingly. Eyes flickering from Edwyrd to the police and back to Edwyrd the man sighed in resignation.

"Yea, I supposed there was bound to be trouble." Iscalio grumbles while slowly raising his hands above his head in surrender.

Nodding to himself, Major Edwyrd gestures to the man who has apparently surrendered. "Check the left pocket if you please officer. No, your other left. I noticed the protrusion when I first approached the man. Careful now, I believe he has at least one flask of Alchemists Fire on him."

Slowly moving forward, the police officer carries his baton ready to lash out the docker should he make any sudden movements. Carefully patting the man down, he reached into the man's jacket pocket and removes a single blown glass flask that roils with contained liquid fire.

Nodding more to himself then the gathered officers, the Major gestures for the officer to hand him the flask. "As I suspected. I could smell the kerasol and guano on him when I approached. It's the only compound I know of that has both ingredients. Officer, take him to the holding area. I suspect I will have some questions later. Oh, and there is also a dagger hidden behind his back. Notice the posture?" Edwyrd pointed out while stepping forward in one quick motion to disarm the man. Flipping the dagger over he handed it to the officer in question and then turned away. "Place him in the detention area for the time being and put the dagger in evidence. I'll let you know if I need to question him further. You may go now."

Marianna

Approaching Mercliffe Palanto, Marianna gave the man a quiet and serious nod, holding her jacket closed as to hide the RHC badge. Eyeing Marianna, Mercliffe, large and imposing with his sleeves of nautical tattoos grunts. The man knew his time was up and he had been made "Yea, your damned right they are sheep. They go along and do whatever the king and his freak of a governor tell him to do. It isn't right that someone can live forever while us normal folk die each day so that the one percent can live like royalty." Digging a hand into his pocket, Mercliffe digs out a wicked set of brass knuckles and flashes them at Marianna. "I didn't come to start a fight," (LIE) "but I won't be pushed around neither."

Gritting her teeth, Marianna sighs and reaches into her pocket and flashes the man her silver badge of office while nodding to the trio of officers that she had already standing by who closes in from behind. "Mercliffe Palanto", Marianna begins slowly with a commanding voice. "You're under arrest for seditious activities and the carrying of a concealed weapon. Don't make any sudden moves. Your surrounded and cut off."

Gritting his teeth, Mercliffe lets the spiked knuckles fall to the cobblestones with a clatter. "Your making a mistake Inspector, or whatever your name is. You threw in with the wrong bunch. This city is going to hell and the people aren't going to take it much longer."

The disguise broken, Marianna opened her coat to reveal the RHC uniform once again before frowning and gesturing to the officer. "Take him away Bilbus and place him in holding. I may have questions for him later."

Valentine and Albert

After quickly questioning the suspects that the others had detained, the two inspectors quickly rushed back down to street level.....

In the distance the outlying crowds begin to cheer as the first of the noble carriages begin to approach the royal shipyards. Ahead of the Wolves the police begin to unclip the ropes that lead from the checkpoints and onto the bridge that the procession must pass through before reaching the R.N.S. Coaltongue that waits like a looming behemoth of iron and steam in the docks to the north.

Excitedly the mass of humanity begins to push forward, while the wolves knowing that one threat remains frantically try to slip and push their way through the well-wishers towards the lurking man who intends to do harm to the governor of Flint.

Knowing they just have a few moments left before they lose the chance to sweep in on their target the R.H.C. Cell encloses on their prey. Inspector Valentine is the first to reach the brooding man. Hulking with a missing ear and short cropped hair, Dafton Marne was not given the nickname 'Skull Crusher' for his gentle ways. A savage through and through and one of the champions of the Broken Skull Tavern just approaching the man was intimidating.

Growling under his breath, Dafton whirls on Inspector Valentine with a speed that belies his size. Glancing at the man, the piggy eyed thug squints at Inspector Albert from behind his sloped brow and blinks slowly. "Wha? What is the meaning of this?!" He managed to stutter before glancing around in haste. Glancing to his left he sees the crowd as it begins to push its way through the checkpoint. He can make out the shapes of the other members of the wolf cell approaching and some sort of weird mechanical contraption flying overhead. Pausing momentarily the brute then glances to his right towards the space that was once occupied by waiting people that now lies empty. Gritting his teeth, the man’s hands curl into fists as the first carriage begins to trundle into the square and the crowd erupts in a cheer and begins to throw flowers ahead of the rolling wheels. He has to make a decision. Cursing under his breath the man drops to his knees and places his hands behind his head "I know the routine."

As the constables moved in and took possession of the man, the crowds continued to yell and cheer. The noise made by seven hundred people could not be described. It was a visceral feeling. It rolled throughout the royal square. The sounds of so many people gathered together in one place echoed through the buildings and alleyways that surrounded the Wolves. It could be felt deep within their cores. These were the people that the R.H.C. was trying to protect. Though many of them would never know what the cell had done on their behalf, had they failed, the cheers would have turned to screams. A riot could have broken out. Times had been hard as of late. The grinding of gears towards the progress of industrialization had crushed many a man. But it had not gone that way. Instead, the Wolves had managed to locate those who wanted to fan the flames of anger that many people held deep in their hearts. The carriages rolled onward, and the crowd forgot for the moment the staggering work, the squalid conditions and the smog covered sky. Today was a celebration.

Gathered in one place, the R.H.C. cell stood around the figure of Liason LeMont with the Flint PD as he debriefed them on the events that led to the capture of the ringleader of today’s events. The questioning of the man who intended to do the governor harm was a loose thread that would eventually have to be dealt with, but that could be handled by the local authorities. The final tally concluded a police officer pushed his way up to the assortment of men and women that comprised the wolves. Reaching the group, he respectfully nodded. "Excuse me inspectors." He said, addressing the remark to Valentine and Albert. "I was asked to relay a message to you from Assistant Chief Delft. He instructed me to tell you that you are to return to your suite at the hotel and relax, he is having a tray sent up to your room. Apparently, there is some sort of last-minute meeting he needs you present at. He says you have two hours to eat and get cleaned up and into proper dress uniform and he will send for you at 1800 local."

Crowd Security Scene Notes

1600 local - Moonday, April the 1st, 501 AOV

Good Job!

No goals at the moment. You are free to roleplay back at the room.
You can benefit from a short rest if you need it.

I show that three of you used your DM Inspiration during this event, you can each recover your point of inspiration at this time.

Show Active Maps

No Maps Currently Active!!

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION SCORES

Fletcher 17 | Marianna 15 | Montilla 15 | Trakand 14 | Wollstonecraft 11 | Stevenson 10

INITIATIVE

Not in Use!!

MECHANICS
Not in Use!!
CONDITIONS
Not in Use!!
DESCRIPTIONS
Not in Use!!
ALBERT MONTILLA

Hit Points: 24/24 

Hit Dice: 3/3
DM Inspiration: 1/1

JOSEPHINE STEVENSON

Hit Points: 35/35 

Rage: 3/3 *L

MARIANNA

Resistances: necrotic, radiant (cannot be blinded by bright light)

Channel Divinity:  1/1 *S

Eyes of Night: 1/1 *L

Hand of Retribution: 6/6 *L

Memory of Past Lifetimes: 1/1 *L

Spell Slots (ATK +5, DC 13) *L

• 1st Level: 4/4
  • 2nd Level: 2/2

MAJOR EDWYRD TRAKAND

Hit Points: 31/31 

Action Surge: 1/1 *S
Second Wind: 1/1 *S

Superiority Dice: 4/4 *S

MARGUERITE FLETCHER

Hit Points: 28/28 

• 1st Level: 3/3

VALENTINE WOLLSTONECRAFT

Hit Points: 20/20 

Resistances: charmed (magic can't put you to sleep)
Sorcery Points: 3/3 *L

Unfinished: 1/1 *L

Marguerite Fletcher (Human Ranger)spacer.png

Current AC: 15 (scale) | HP: 28/28 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 17 | Spell Slots: 1st 3/3 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Back at the hotel, as the group is awaiting their food, Marguerite is kneeled on the floor, digging through her pack. She throws a sidelong glance at Josephine as she works. "Well, well. Inspector Josephine Stevenson, weren't it? I do declare I owe you a right debt-a deep gratitude for your doin's back there. It shore do look like ol' Saxby done picked right'n proper when she brought you on-a-board.

"I know we ain't had time to get down'n-dirty introduced, but I be Marguerite Fletcher. Most call me Fletch." After a casual and playful salute, the ranger returns her attention to her pack, fishes out a tidy bundle of folded clothes, and lays them neatly on a bed. They're her R.H.C. dress uniform. "Tell me," she continues as she ties her pack back up, "How's such a prim-lookin' lady as you wind up findin' work in da R.H.C.? I ain't mean no offense here, see, but I'd-a pegged-you-Pete to be some lubber-merchant's wife." She pauses and looks Josephine over from head to toe, smiling kindly. "Mind, you done already showed da 'vantage of such misinformin', so I ain't passin' no judgement, here. I just be a mite-little curious."

Mechanics

Action: n/a

Bonus Action: n/a

Reaction: n/a

Move: n/a

Interact: n/a

Valentine Wollstonecraft - Half-elf Sorcerer applicationspacer.png

AC: 12 (15 Mage Armor) | HP: 20/20 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 11 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Sorcery Points: 3/3 LR Unfinished: 1/1 LR

Val undresses methodically and folds his gentlemen's clothes neatly before putting them away. As they are changing into their RHC dress uniforms, he decides to finally initiate the conversation with Albert that he had been meaning to have. He suspects that Albert recognizes his last name, given the wealth of his family, and he thinks Albert looked familiar when they first met, but he's never broached the subject. 

“I'd love to grab that beer with you when we catch our breath, Albert. And great work with Mr. Coulton and Mr. Marne. I don't think Mr Coulton would have talked to me no matter how 'charming' I had been."

"So, I've been meaning to ask you. Did you ever work for my parents? At Wollstonecraft Industries. You look familiar. I think it was a good place to work back then. I was too young to know for certain, but I know my parents always thought they were helping the realm and helping their employees at the same time. I haven't been allowed back in since my parents were killed. It looks like my brother Tiberius has let things fall apart a little. It's a shame. ”

Mechanics

Action: Intimidation of Coulton
Bonus Action: none
Move: to Quadrant A
Manipulate: none

Notes

Stover Delft, Asst. Chief Inspector, Royal Homeland Constabulary, Flint branch
Margaret Saxby, Lady Inspectress, RHC, Flint branch
Ravissant Wolf Cell "The Wolves"

Skyseer Wrethu saw the wolf, while a symbolically dubious character, bringing the helpless lamb to succor in the only manner it could

Minister Harkover Lee. Most powerful mage in Risur

Geoff Masserde. Danoran Tiefling helping us build ships. Likes to drink.

Captain Rutger Smith. Captain of RNS Impossible. Likes philosophy.

Duchess Ethelyn of Shale. King's sister. Dislikes industry and supports Unseen Court.

Flint Governor Roland Stanfield. 5 centuries old after reincarnation.

King Aodhan. Old warrior. Has magic since he's king. 

AC: 18 | HP: 24/24 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 15 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

"Good work." As the group reconvened in the office, Marianna gave quick words of congratulation to each of the others. Show appreciation of collaboration. The words stuck to the back of her mind as she nodded to herself, satisfied with the world that she'd done. They'd headed off four insurgents in a crowd, successfully stopping any sort of potential hazards they could've caused. For a new cell, she liked to think that was a good start. A great start even.

She smiled to herself as she went about the busy-work of undoing her simple wear dress to change into R.H.C. Uniform. There were others talking, but all that Marianna could pay attention to was her own mind, meandering through all the thoughts that were connected in the web in her mind to the case they'd been working on. And the words of the man she'd headed to capture. 'Threw in with the wrong crowd.' That was silly, one rebelled in secret when they did not have public advantage. There was little need to have subtle rebellion if one had overwhelming support from the people. Despots may have some ability to protect themselves via personal armies, but even then for someone to have the people 'unable to take it anymore', there would be much more public outcry.

Having sorted out both her initial dress work and the thoughts in her mind, the curious bookkeeper found herself in the main lounge, book in hand. She had... less than two hours, one and a half approximately. Starting to snack upon the tray of food as was promised, Marianna settled to read, and to wait.

Mechanics

Josephine Stevenson  applicationspacer.png

AC: 15 | HP: 35/35 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 10 | Rages: 3/3 

Fletch.  Jospehine nodded at the introduction. "Please, call me Josephine, and yes, I suppose there is a story." She'd been asked enough times since joining the RHC that she had a somewhat practiced answer.   

"And yours was an astute observation for I was a merchant. My husband and I owned an apothecary down in the Kensington Market. We were both trained alchemists." She hesitated, catching herself and shrugged narrowly. "I suppose I still am." She smiled at the other woman. "I admit that he always had a stronger knack for it." 

"Anyway, I became ill, very ill, exposed to something in the shop is the working theory. By all reports I was going to pass. But... I didn't. After months of an unconscious exisitence, I woke up. No one really knows why or how, but I awoke in the local hospice. I wasn't quite myself though. I was not "better". 

Through some sympathetic souls, I ended up training at the RHC." She had left a gap or two in the story and she tried to distract from them by action. She lifted a large pack unto a table and extracted her RHC dress uniform. Given her slight frame, an observant person might perceive that she lifted the pack more easily than one would expect. "I find the martial practice has been very helpful. And, the discipline is good for me."

I will have tell them all eventually, I suppose. But let me have this time, this time of having them look at me as if I was normal. As if I was just Josephine...

"How about you? How have you come into the RHC fold? I can't quite place your accent, but I would imagine you've spent some time... at sea?"

Mechanics

Main Hand: Walking stick

Edited by ariel
fixing a word (see edit history)

Major Edwyrd Trakand (Retd.) (Old Human Fighter)image.jpeg.1a9dd91957ab6910b641deb636b8ad49.jpeg

AC: 12 | HP: 31/31| Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 14 | Second Wind: 1/1 S/LR Action Surge: 1/1 S/LR | Superiority Dice: 4/4 S/LR | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Back at the hotel, the Major already in his dress R.H.C uniform, still decides to change his shirt with a clean one from his pack. The morning's exertions having creased and stained the one he put on this morning. Any of the men in the room they used to change in would see a great number of white scar marks across both Edwyrd's chest, back and arms. (An insightful person would hazard a guess he had received some from bullets, blades and lots from shrapnel) Decades of fighting obviously came with its own badges. 

In the common room, the Major expresses congratulations to each of the team and makes small talk. Upon overhearing Ms Stevenson mention she was an alchemist, he politely makes an enquiry of her "Excuse me ladies, Ms Stevenson, I wonder if you could lend me your expertise? I confiscated this from the Docker I detained. I was thinking of keeping a hold of this flask of alchemist fire as a make shift grenade, you know, in case we have trouble later or down the track. I used to use variants during the war. Would you be so kind as to check it is stable enough and sealed sufficiently to carry carefully for me please?"

Later, upon take his ease in a comfy blue velvet wing back chair, eating some food, he tries to strike up a conversation with Marianna, "Now that is an interesting book! What do you think of it?"

Mechanics

Main Hand: Hawk-headed Sword Cane

Albert Montilla (Human Rogue)spacer.png

AC: 14  | HP: 24/24 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 15 | 

Visibly uncomfortable, he stretches his arms a bit trying to get used to what he now wore. Bah, uniforms. So formal and restrictive but this is the price he would have to pay for being part of a government agency. After putting on his uniform, Val walks over to talk to Albert. "Of course! Its our first real assignment as a team, perhaps we should all get drinks together after this?" He floats the question to the group assembled before returning to his conversation with Val. "Ah yeah, Coulton tends to get in over his head sometimes. Typically a good guy though."

Albert knew the name rang a bell but it was just now that he was able to place it. Valentine Wollstonecraft, second son to the industrial titan behind Wollstonecraft Industries. Stroking his mustache he replied, "I thought you were familiar. There are some rather nasty rumors floating around at the moment regarding Wollstonecraft Industries, I'm surprised you aren't there keeping its good name intact, not being allowed back would explain it. Officially? I never worked there but unofficially there was a group of dockers who took me in off the street employed by them. As I got to a proper working age I never was quite so lucky to work there. It was eye opening to say the least to see the conditions that my friends had to endure were so drastically different from my first job. Shame it is you aren't back there, you seem to take on a bit of your parent's ideology. Sometimes life just takes us on a different path, eh?

Mechanics

AC: 18 | HP: 24/24 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 15 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Marianna looked up from the book, almost in surprise, which raised the cover a bit more. Record of the Third Yerasol War was boldly written on the front, each word rather large with some smaller text beneath it. Blinking twice at the question, Marianna sat up straighter, more properly, and took a moment before responding to pull a decorated bookmark out, carefully placing it in book and closing it before raising eyes to once again meet the Major's with a smile. 

"I am barely into it, alas, but I find it curious. I'm not sure exactly why, but the stories of wars tend to resonate well with me." There was then a nod, as if her words were some sort of confirmation or explanation of her main thoughts, then she blinked, suddenly realising she hadn't really answered the question, before continuing. "I find the initial opening chapters suggest that there was not enough time given to prepare for the war. If it were not for the Risuri Flint Fleet being of superior make and the advantage given by the engines, the initial conflict would have--"

Then, suddenly cutting herself off, Marianna shook her head as if to clear it. "Sorry, I do believe I was starting to ramble. I find it enjoyable. Do you read historical literature yourself?"

Mechanics

spacer.png

The Island at the Axis of the World
Act One: The Coaltongue

After the two hours to eat and relax an officer of the Flint PD soon arrived to retrieve them for Assistant Chief Deft....

Following the officer through the crowds that lined the Royal Square, the wolves were led past the police line and followed the barriers, crossing over the three-hundred-foot bridge and onto the Royal Naval Shipyard beyond. In the square ahead the massive shape of the two hundred- and ten-foot Coaltongue dominates the view. The flag of Risur does not yet fly high upon its mast. That would follow after the ship was officially christened. However, the naval ship is properly dressed. A line of flags hang suspended from the aft of the ship, up to its mast and then forward to its jack stand. At the foot of the White Cloth Covered Gangway reads the words. 'R.N.S. Coaltonge (ASC-1)'. In neat rows on the side of the square are carriages that slowly continue to trundle onward before disgorging its passengers. Next to the gangway are two long tables that flank a wooden podium that bears the royal seal of Risur on its front. Leading you through clusters of naval officers, aristocracy, servants and wealthy merchants the officer takes you towards the gangway where you find the Assistant Chief chewing on a bit of tobacco and eyeing a halfling chef who is carrying a tray of chocolate confections towards the docked Coaltongue.

spacer.png   Stover Delft - Assistant Chief Inspector RHC Flint Branch   

image.png.b5225641c170afb0eb968cda1e6be2a0.pngHis attention turns to the wolves, and he smiles. "Only the finest for our king, right? Now then," he says, "we’re about to earn our pay. Lots of nobles about, so first, don’t make a scene, and definitely don’t talk to any of the nobility unless they address you first. Second, if something does go wrong, try to handle it yourselves, would you? I’m going to be busy applying my not-inconsiderable charms to very important people. The Constabulary doesn’t get by with just good will and pretty faces, you know. And third, you did good work, so I’ve got a surprise for you." He grabs his cane and leads you to the gangplank of the Coaltongue. But he’s not pursuing the halfling chef. Rather, ahead of you waits Principal Minister Harkover Lee, the king’s chief advisor and personal bodyguard.

Waving tiredly to Minister Lee as the man descended from the Coaltongue the older man smiled and waved back. Stepping forward and putting weight on his cane, Stover gestured to Minister Lee. "Wolves, meet 'the old man'." He announced, his eyes twinkling in affection for the elder mage. Chuckling softly, King Aodhan's bodyguard and chief of staff turns his steely gaze on each of the members of the Ravissant Wolf Cell.

image.png.7c28317c1206de91b2adbf439ac2bce7.png

Minister Harkover Lee
Risur's Principal Minister, the King's bodyguard.

Long Night Ahead Scene Notes

1800 local - Moonday, April the 1st, 501 AOV

Show Instructions

Long Night Ahead
Social. Real-Time 
The PCs are invited to join this evening’s party aboard the warship.

Instructions: Feel free to make introductions to Principal Minister Harkover Lee. Each of you would know that Minister Lee is perhaps the most powerful mage in all of Risur and acts as King Aodhan's bodyguard and chief of staff. He is a straight backed man and energetic despite being in his sixties. Lee has a slight Ber-tinged accent and was said to be quite the ladykiller in his youth. He is fond of reds and golds and supposedly keeps a solid gold orb tucked into his robes at all times.

Show Active Maps

No Maps Currently Active!!

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION SCORES

Fletcher 17 | Marianna 15 | Montilla 15 | Trakand 14 | Wollstonecraft 11 | Stevenson 10

INITIATIVE

Not in Use!!

MECHANICS
Not in Use!!
CONDITIONS
Not in Use!!
DESCRIPTIONS
Not in Use!!
ALBERT MONTILLA

JOSEPHINE STEVENSON

Hit Points: 35/35 

Rage: 3/3 *L

MARIANNA

Resistances: necrotic, radiant (cannot be blinded by bright light)

Channel Divinity:  1/1 *S

Eyes of Night: 1/1 *L

Hand of Retribution: 6/6 *L

Memory of Past Lifetimes: 1/1 *L

MAJOR EDWYRD TRAKAND

Hit Points: 31/31 

Action Surge: 1/1 *S
Second Wind: 1/1 *S

Superiority Dice: 4/4 *S

MARGUERITE FLETCHER

Hit Points: 28/28 

• 1st Level: 3/3

VALENTINE WOLLSTONECRAFT

Hit Points: 20/20 

Resistances: charmed (magic can't put you to sleep)
Sorcery Points: 3/3 *L

Unfinished: 1/1 *L

Marguerite Fletcher (Human Ranger)spacer.png

Current AC: 15 (scale) | HP: 28/28 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 17 | Spell Slots: 1st 3/3 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

“A tonic-slinger, huh?” Marguerite says to Josephine. “Well I only guessed half-right. I’d-a thought innkeeper or tailor or somethin’.” She leans her pack against the bed, then begins unfolding and inspecting her uniform as she speaks.

“My accent’s a bit slippery to track down. My parents come from Ber, so it start with dat. But da rest come from Bosum Strand, by way of a thousand or so sailors. Ship captains, mostly. My old man was a dockmaster, an’ he used to get me to do his jack-jaw'n with da traders who didn’t speak no Primordial or Common. I guess their ways-a talkin’ rubbed off on me. Marguerite pauses and smiles thoughtfully. “The old woman hated the way I talked. Hated it."

Marguerite moves to the other side of the bed, sits down, and starts removing her boots. “I signed up for the R.H.C. ‘cos I missed bein’ a crewman. I sailed most-a my short life, on a fightin’ merchant ship. I done well with dat. But for da last couple-a years, after da war done petered itself out, I took to huntin’ lawbreakers on my own, land-side, out in da Pine Islands. Done well with dat, too. But it weren't for me. Holdin’ truck with your enemy’s friends every day’s got a hard way of gettin’ under your britches.”

“Speakin’ of…” Marguerite stands and faces the room. “Ya’ll mind lookin’ that way a moment?” she says loudly and forcefully. As soon everyone turns away, she strips her clothes off, down to her underwear, and replaces them with her uniform, with surprising speed and efficiency, as if she'd done it a thousand times. “My thanks.”

As she buttons up her shirt, Josephine turns back to Marguerite. “You got sick, huh? Well, now, you ain’t look none worse for da wear after your slow-dance with death. If you ain’t yourself now, then you must-a been a right Annie-angel beforehand.” Marguerite smiles and winks. “‘Cause you look like you belong in a royal courtyard right now, as it were.”

Marguerite does a few final touches in front of the mirror. “So dat husband-a yours. What’s he think-a you workin’ for the crown, huntin’ down international fugitives with a crew motley’r than a rotten ol' Friday night schooner?”

Waving tiredly to Minister Lee as the man descended from the Coaltongue the older man smiled and waved back. Stepping forward and putting weight on his cane, Stover gestured to Minister Lee. "Wolves, meet 'the old man'." He announced, his eyes twinkling in affection for the elder mage. Chuckling softly, King Aodhan's bodyguard and chief of staff turns his steely gaze on each of the members of the Ravissant Wolf Cell.

Marguerite crosses her arms and tilts her head. "Oh, c'mon, now, Chief. He ain't dat old. I seen many-a man half his age who look twice as shoddy." She holds her hand out for Minister Lee. "Marguerite Fletcher. It's a right honor, now, Minister."

Mechanics

Action: n/a

Bonus Action: n/a

Reaction: n/a

Move: n/a

Interact: n/a