The Island at the Axis of the World | Act One: The Coaltongue

bwatford

Marianna (Deva Cleric)spacer.png

AC: 18 | HP: 24/24 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 15 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | DM Inspiration: 0/1

"Miss Dane was a significant member of the construction project?" Waiting until her compatriot had gathered assent to take the assistant away, Marianna chose that moment to muse her question to the gregarious Tiefling. She hadn't the slightest idea of how to contribute to assessing the engineer earlier beyond just listening to his answering of others questions and briefly interacting. But it had felt like wasted time to her, so the Deva took the moment to try and directly interact with the Tiefling.

It was clumsy, to be sure, but elsewise she would have felt even more adrift.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Morningstar
Off Hand: Shield

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Josephine Stevenson  applicationspacer.png

AC: 15 | HP: 35/35 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception5: 10 | Rages: 3/3 

Josephine nodded to the engineer with brief smile of thanks. "Yes, just a short walk - I would not want to miss the tour." She spun a quarter turn and gestured in a direction along the pier that would take them in good sight of the ship, but with fewer people. Meeting eyes with Marianna, "You may accompany us if you like?"

Walking the engineering assistant away from the crowd, Josephine allowed her voice to soften. "I appreciate your time. And, as I realize we don't have much, I will be direct.

I, and my collegues, are hoping to keep the ship, its crew and passengers safe. As you know, the ship itself, Master Massarde and, by association, perhaps yourself may be targetted for malcious behaviour. So, in this light... I was wondering if you had observed any unusual activity around the ship or its engineer during the course of its construction? Anything that concerned you?" The inspector knew she was being forward but the day spent amid the crowd had left her feeling very... stretched. "Please forgive the impertinence of my next question... but how easy would it be for someone to sabotage of this vessel? Are there areas weaker than other? Points of failure? Really... anything you have seen or any information you can give me may be of some help?

She looked at the other woman with earnest eyes. It was evident that she wanted to do a good job. 

Mechanics

Main Hand: Walking stick
Off Hand: Empty

Albert Montilla (Human Rogue)spacer.png

AC: 14  | HP: 24/24 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 15 | 

The Major speaks and gives him an in to the conversation but it hardly seems like his attention is truly focused on Albert's late arrival. "Ah Millerite philosophy, shame we never got his writings on what an ideal city is, suppose Flint will have to do." He chuckles at his reference but instead of landing on the captain or his companion, his eyes look onward to Fletcher and the Duchess heading towards the ship. "Nothing serious, yet somehow I am actually a bit excited for a tour now! Do you know when we will be allowed to embark?" He asks, less curious about the answer and more curious as to why the Duchess is embarking before the scheduled time. Royals always did get special treatment. Either way, He would have to ask the Major later.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty

spacer.png

The Island at the Axis of the World Act One: The Coaltongue

NPC - Geoff Massarde, Male Tiefling, Engineer

image.png.a3667f70029c0c507f7c79edc57aaace.png"Miss Dane was a significant member of the construction project?" Waiting until her compatriot had gathered assent to take the assistant away, Marianna chose that moment to muse her question to the gregarious Tiefling.

Turning his attention now to Marianna, he smiled and nodded "Indeed. Miss Dane was my principal assistant during the project. She is a competent engineer in her own right. But invaluable for inspiration and as a sounding board for some of my wilder ideas." he explained.

Meanwhile Josephine was busy talking to the assistant away from the engineer "I was wondering if you had observed any unusual activity around the ship or its engineer during the course of its construction? Anything that concerned you?"

"Why, nothing that I have noticed. There has always been people that hate Geoff for his racial heritage. That is something he deals with constantly. But who would ever dare to do something with all of you constables around? Plus, once the ship gets underway, wouldn't any evil doer be trapped onboard with all of you?" she said with a reassuring smile.

With this reply Josephine continued her line of questioning "Please forgive the impertinence of my next question... but how easy would it be for someone to sabotage of this vessel? Are there areas weaker than other? Points of failure? Really... anything you have seen or any information you can give me may be of some help?"

"Anyone doing such a thing would have to be suicidal. I mean, I guess you could overload the boiler, or set a fire in the coal room, but again most of this situation would be dealt with so quickly, she is even equipped with magical fire suppression. So, one could only hope to disable her for a short while.  What would that accomplish?" the assistant asked.

NPC - Rutger Smith - Captain of the R.N.S. Impossible

image.png.d3a3de5537d80dc2e134eda154721fbe.pngAlbert asked the all-important question ""Nothing serious, yet somehow, I am actually a bit excited for a tour now! Do you know when we will be allowed to embark?"

His question was answered moments later when loud trumpets sounded......

With great pomp and grandeur, trumpeters announce the arrival of the king’s carriage. Elite guards line the thoroughfare and open the door, and the city governor Roland Stanfield emerges, followed by King Aodhan himself. The king offers a one-sided smile to the crowd and a wave. With a polite murmured "Excuse me," his sister, Duchess Ethelyn glides away from the crowd and steps up next to the King, Principal Minister Lee greets the elderly king. Trailing behind the duchess, Sokana, gives a polite smile towards Rhegalion before following behind her mistress. Children, gathered in advance by royal aides, now cheer and sing the traditional crown anthem as the group makes its way to the docks. As they reach the tables, a young boy and girl step forward and hand the king a traditional bushel of wildflowers with yellow spring tongues, green moon lilies and blue fey’s breath. Thanking the children and giving the boy a pat on the head, the King, who at first glance looks rather unassuming, smiles and shakes the hands of several naval officers before reaching the brow of the ship.

The crowd goes quiet as a red velvet pillow is brought forth with a champagne bottle resting atop it. Picking up the bottle in one hand, the seventy-year-old man glances at the label before holding it up to for the crowd to see. "You know," he says in a strong voice at odds with his appearance. "When I was just a boy in the army, I could have never imagined a day like this. This bottle of champagne is worth more than my family ever had. I never forget these things. It's important to know where we come from. I came from humble roots, as did my sister. But war changed my fortunes. When I was thirty I brought into this very port the first Steamship that Danor had ever created and we made it our own. We are coming into a new age. A hundred years ago our people would have thought of a ship like this as a tale of fantasy and yet now she stands before us. She like all of us is a example of our nations progress. Change can be hard sometimes friends, but if there is one thing we have learned is that change is for the best. So it is my honor today to christen this ship the Royal Naval Vessel Coaltongue."

Smashing the bottle against the brow the champagne shatters into a thousand shards and sprays onto the hull. At the same moment a steam whistle sounds, and black smoke begins to roil out of the ship’s stacks. Turning back to the crowd the king smiles. "It is my pleasure to welcome you all aboard for the Coaltongues maiden voyage. Captain Thedric make all preparations to get underway." With a salute the white uniformed captain turns and a bosun lowers the velvet rope as guests begin to file onto the ship. Amid the press of people filing onboard, Assistant Chief Inspector Delft appeared out of the crowd and headed directly to Major Trakand and Albert before pointing towards the looming ship. "Come boys and girls, you have a party to enjoy. Keep your eyes open but try to have a good time." He mentions before disappearing back into the crowd and up into the ship.

Once everyone is onboard, waiters begin to move throughout the passengers, handing out light refreshments and finger foods that mostly stand upon the main deck, enjoying the view of ironclad warship as it steams out into the harbor. Sweeping out toward the center of the harbor, eight traditional four masted ships enter formation with it, flanking it to the port and starboard. Against their white sails, the black clouds from the Coaltongue’s smokestacks make for a dramatic image, and though smoke and smog the inspectors are able to catch the duchess glowering at the sight. Along the docks and beaches thousands of citizens line up cheering as the small fleet sets a course out of the harbor, toward open sea.

spacer.png

All Aboard
1830 local - Moonday, April the 1st, 501 AOV

ALL ABOARD
Exposition. Montage.
Over the next hour, people wine, dine, and take tours of the fantastic warship.

Wolves, at this point the guests are onboard the R.N.S. Coaltongue for the maiden voyage. You know that the event is expected to last about three hours as it journeys to an outlaying island about an hour away where the king is going to give some sort of speech. In the time leading up to this you have several options. You can remain on the main deck and interact with the various NPC's there or you can take a tour of the ship as several industrialists and naval officers are doing. Please make your individual decisions now, stay on the main deck or take the tour.

The following NPC's are available on the main deck.
Principal Minister Harkover Lee
Duchess Ethelyn of Shale
Handmaiden Sokana Rell
Flint City Governor Roland Stanfield
King Aodhan

The following NPC's are available on the tour of the ship.
Benedict Pemberton
Geoff Massarde
Captain Rutger Smith

Show Active Maps

No Maps Currently Active!!

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION SCORES

Fletcher 17 | Marianna 15 | Montilla 15 | Trakand 14 | Wollstonecraft 11 | Stevenson 10

INITIATIVE

Not in Use!!

MECHANICS
Not in Use!!
CONDITIONS
Not in Use!!
DESCRIPTIONS
Not in Use!!
ALBERT MONTILLA

Hit Points: 24/24 

Hit Dice: 3/3
DM Inspiration: 1/1

JOSEPHINE STEVENSON

Hit Points: 35/35 

Rage: 3/3 *L

MARIANNA

Resistances: necrotic, radiant (cannot be blinded by bright light)

Channel Divinity:  1/1 *S

Eyes of Night: 1/1 *L

Hand of Retribution: 6/6 *L

Memory of Past Lifetimes: 1/1 *L

Spell Slots (ATK +5, DC 13) *L

• 1st Level: 4/4
  • 2nd Level: 2/2

MAJOR EDWYRD TRAKAND

Hit Points: 31/31 

Action Surge: 1/1 *S
Second Wind: 1/1 *S

Superiority Dice: 4/4 *S

MARGUERITE FLETCHER

Hit Points: 28/28 

• 1st Level: 3/3

VALENTINE WOLLSTONECRAFT

Hit Points: 20/20 

Resistances: charmed (magic can't put you to sleep)
Sorcery Points: 3/3 *L

Unfinished: 1/1 *L

Valentine Wollstonecraft - Half-elf Sorcerer applicationspacer.png

AC: 12 (15 Mage Armor) | HP: 20/20 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 11 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Sorcery Points: 3/3 LR Unfinished: 1/1 LR

Val is happy to get on the ship, but not because he is interested in any of the engineering. He doesn't have much patience to listen to talk about that. No, he is interested because these are the most important people. With the king being the most important. While Val agrees that the ship may be indestructible, as Mr. Pemberton stated, he knows that the people on it aren't as safe. He thinks that the most likely terrorism, if there were to be any, would be any attack on the duchess or the king himself.

When Val sees that some of the other RHC inspectors are going on the tour, he excuses himself from Mr. Pemberton and stays where he can keep an eye on the king and the duchess. He also hasn't had a chance to meet to the Flint City Governor, so he approaches the old man.

“Mr. Stanfield, sir, I am Inspector Wollstonecraft. It is a pleasure to meet you. It is a beautiful ship, and a great testament to our fine city. Are you enjoying the evening? Or have you had any problems this evening? Or seen anything out of the ordinary?" 

Mechanics

Action: none
Bonus Action: none
Move: none
Manipulate: none

Notes

Stover Delft, Asst. Chief Inspector, Royal Homeland Constabulary, Flint branch
Margaret Saxby, Lady Inspectress, RHC, Flint branch
Ravissant Wolf Cell "The Wolves"

Skyseer Wrethu saw the wolf, while a symbolically dubious character, bringing the helpless lamb to succor in the only manner it could

Minister Harkover Lee. Most powerful mage in Risur

Geoff Masserde. Danoran Tiefling helping us build ships. Likes to drink.

Captain Rutger Smith. Captain of RNS Impossible. Likes philosophy.

Duchess Ethelyn of Shale. King's sister. Dislikes industry and supports Unseen Court.

Handmaiden Sokana Rel - Elven handmaiden of Duchess Ethelyn of Shale

Flint Governor Roland Stanfield. 5 centuries old after reincarnation.

King Aodhan. Old warrior. Has magic since he's king. 

Benedict Pemberton. Eccentric Industrialist. 

Focus, focus... if you fill your mind with the job, nothing else can enter.  Josephine concentrated on the engineers words, both their content and delivery. She let them echo in her mind for several heartbeats as she wondered what could be done if the ship was disabled for a short time. First off... it could be boarded, I suppose, then anything could happen.

Jospehine thanked Miss Dane for her time and watched the woman walk away before glancing around to see that the champagne ceremony was starting. She borded the grand ship with the others and took a moment to truly marvel at the power under her feet as it hauled itself smoothly away from the dock. As refreshments started circling, she sought out Master Massarde, and Marianna, if she was still with him. She did want a tour of the ship and was hoping to take particular note of the boiler and coal room. She eyed a passing tray of "pigs in blankets" and tried to stifle an unpleasant curl to her lips. Fewer smells down there too, I hope.

OOC

Will take an insight check to try to determine if Miss Dane was hiding anything.

Mechanics

Edited by ariel (see edit history)
Name
insight
1d20+3 2

Major Edwyrd Trakand (Retd.) 

(Old Human Fighter) applicationimage.jpeg.1a9dd91957ab6910b641deb636b8ad49.jpeg

AC: 12 | HP: 31/31| Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 14 | Second Wind: 1/1 S/LR Action Surge: 1/1 S/LR | Superiority Dice: 4/4 S/LR | DM Inspiration: 1/1 |

Upon boarding the Major makes small talk with Albert, quietly explaining what Fletcher had passed on to him. He also notes the impressive number of gun ports along her flank while walking up the boarding ramp. 

The Major takes a quick stroll around the top deck while all the other guests seek out drinks and finger foods, assessing her craftsmanship, impressive steelwork and the light placement of sailors. “Well this is a fine Lady indeed, a Steel Lady, a far cry from the wooden beauties of my past. I wonder if she handles as slow and heavy as she looks. ‘Clink clink’ not much warmth and soul to her though …” tapping his sword cane on the deck and off the railing. The Major then spends a moment looking out to sea, remembering some bitter sweet memories of his past aboard various ships with his fellow marines. The ghosts of faces form fleeting on the sea spray breeze as a chill grows in his chest. 

Cough hem hem, Are you ok Sir, would you like some refreshments?” Asks a slightly confused servant. 

“Ah, neh ta mate … cough … I mean thank you but no my good man.” The Major quickly recovers from his slip of demeanour, his simple farmer heritage and the reminiscing of his rough navel marine career seeping through. Watching the servant walk off shaking his head the Major smirks grimly. ‘Hmm slipping again you old sea dog’ he berates himself. ‘Just need to conform to this high society ladie-da routine a bit longer’ 

Nodding to Valentine in passing and indicating he would be joining the tour group so he knew where he’d be, he notes Val will be staying up top. Joining the party taking the tour, Edward is almost giddy as a shore leave sailor to see the gun deck and appraise the ships artillery. That deck will receive a critical review against his battle tested standards. Making sure he is close to Massarde at that stage so he can hear every detail about this Steel Lady’s armaments and ask questions 

Mechanics

Main Hand: Hawk-headed Sword Cane

Edited by Hades-666
Fixing quote style used. (see edit history)

The sound of trumpets answered his question just as quickly as he had asked it. Once they were away from prying ears the Major updated him on what he had Miss Fletcher had found. Similarly Albert quickly informed the Major about what he thought of Mr. Pemberton. His description of the ships construction only had to be confirmed through the tour and then there would be no doubt in his mind that Mr. Pemberton would not be a saboteur. If the ship was as impervious to outside infiltration as was claimed, then the only threat would be from inside the ship. Ideally the tour would give ample knowledge on what systems would be the most vulnerable to sabotage. Joining the party for the tour he noticed most his fellow inspectors following suite. Seems like they must have a similar thought process. 

Mechanics

spacer.png

ON DECK

Inspector Valentine Wollstonecraft

NPC - Roland Stanfield, Male Aasimar, Govenor 

“Mr. Stanfield, sir, I am Inspector Wollstonecraft. It is a pleasure to meet you. It is a beautiful ship, and a great testament to our fine city. Are you enjoying the evening? Or have you had any problems this evening? Or seen anything out of the ordinary?" 

The mayor nodded to the introduction of the Inspector as he approached and in turn introduced himself. The Inspector thought over what they had learned of the man while prepping for this event.

Stanfield witnessed the fall of the eladrin goddess Srasama five hundred years ago and died soon thereafter in the chaos of Elfaivar’s fall. But he reincarnated, restored to life by a sliver of the divine power he absorbed when Srasama was slain. His memories vague and jumbled, he found his way back to his homeland of Risur and eventually settled in Flint, then just a modest coastal port.

In the centuries since he has died with irregular intervals, and with each rebirth he returned to the city he calls home. For most of that time he has served as Flint’s governor, having constantly striven to improve himself with each life, from a simple warrior to a humble leader, to an educated renaissance man nimbly handling the complex challenges of the fastest-growing city in the world. Stanfield wears a near-constant expression of contented optimism, but still occasionally complains of a war wound he took to his back in his first life.

Stanfield had greeted Inspector Wollstonecraft's approach warmly, though the young man can tell that it is a practiced smile. Taking a letter from a nearby advisor before waving him off Stanfield takes up the letter and scans it. It's hard to tell from the man's face but there seems to be an air of concern as he reads it before folding up the letter and placing it into his jacket pocket. "Well Constable, Stanfield begins. Its true that the riots hurt all of us, and you have my thanks for stopping the attack that it seems I have just been informed of. Progress can be hard sometimes, And I will be the first to admit that living and working conditions in Flint have deteriorated in the last forty years since our industrialization began. I myself am a lover of art and I feel that the riots are a sign from the people in that they feel as if they do not have a voice." Tapping his finger to his chin thoughtfully, Stanfield nods. "I won't lie. I can make no promises as to the change of the status quo. But I want to see this city prosper and her people happy." he said.

THE TOUR
(Main Deck)

Inspector Stevenson
Major Trakand
Inspector Montilla

Steel and oil, these are the first things that the members of the R.H.C. cell, see and smell as they begin their tour of the mighty warship Coaltongue. The tour begins on the main deck and is led by Elian Aughtbrook a young petty officer from the Risuri navy. Neatly dressed in the black cracker-jack uniform of a naval rating, the man keeps a small notepad in one hand at all times and regularly looks down on it to refer to notes. He begins by taking the party of wealthy industrialist, senior officers and the R.H.C. constables first to an elaborate glass frame. The massive structure that currently stands as a makeshift banquet room, crackles and flickers with silver arcs of magical energy that the gathered guests occasionally point at with delight. "This!" Petty Officer Aughtbrook exclaims pointing at the capacitor "Is what we call the Brand. The glass has been magically reinforced and is as hard as steel. While the design itself is partially aesthetic, its primary purpose is to siphon off power from the ship's two boilers and act as a battery of sorts. During battle our warcasters could tap into the power of the brand to empower their spells or release the stored energy in a single blast from the figurehead that would be enough to outright destroy a smaller vessel or cripple a large one. Now." He says waving his hands in the general direction of the crackling structure. "The range is short, but combined with the Coaltongues speed and maneuverability, the Brand would be enough to deter all but the most determined of attacks. If that wasn't enough, the Coaltongue also boasts twenty four cannons, twelve on the port and twelve on the starboard and a five inch thick iron armor plating engraved with subtle magic to aid in her defense and hardness. Now, if you will follow me, I'll lead you down below into the gundeck."

All Aboard
1836 local - Moonday, April the 1st, 501 AOV

ALL ABOARD
Exposition. Montage.

Wolves, at this point the guests are onboard the R.N.S. Coaltongue for the maiden voyage. You know that the event is expected to last about three hours as it journeys to an outlaying island about an hour away where the king is going to give some sort of speech. In the time leading up to this you have several options. You can remain on the main deck and interact with the various NPC's there or you can take a tour of the ship as several industrialists and naval officers are doing. Please make your individual decisions now, stay on the main deck or take the tour.

Duchess Ethelyn of Shale
Handmaiden Sokana Rell
King Aodhan

Benedict Pemberton
Geoff Massarde
Captain Rutger Smith

Show Active Maps

Show Bookkeeping

Fletcher 17 | Marianna 15 | Montilla 15 | Trakand 14 | Wollstonecraft 11 | Stevenson 10

INITIATIVE

Not in Use!!

MECHANICS
Not in Use!!
CONDITIONS
Not in Use!!
DESCRIPTIONS
Not in Use!!
ALBERT MONTILLA

JOSEPHINE STEVENSON

MARIANNA

MAJOR EDWYRD TRAKAND

MARGUERITE FLETCHER

VALENTINE WOLLSTONECRAFT

AC: 12 (15 Mage Armor) | HP: 20/20 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 11 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Sorcery Points: 3/3 LR Unfinished: 1/1 LR

Val is happy to hear someone of authority talk about addressing the plight of the working class in Flint. He knows that if we don't keep them happy, and make their lives better than they are now, there will be no stability. And without stability, there will be no progress. 

“Mr. Stanfield, sir, the city is lucky to have your steady leadership. It's refreshing to hear someone in power discuss the plight of the workers. I'm not sure there are many on this ship tonight who would want to help them." 

While he would enjoy a conversation on how to best improve the people's lives, Val knows he's here for a purpose. 

"Do you think anyone on board here might have had anything to do with instigating the riots? Is there anyone on board that might want to hurt the king or the city?"

Mechanics

Notes

Skyseer Wrethu saw the wolf, while a symbolically dubious character, bringing the helpless lamb to succor in the only manner it could

Duchess Ethelyn of Shale. King's sister. Dislikes industry and supports Unseen Court.

Edited by BobtheWizard (see edit history)
Name
Persuasion
1d20+5 6

Marianna (Deva Cleric)spacer.png

AC: 18 | HP: 24/24 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 15 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | DM Inspiration: 0/1

Staying aboard the deck whilst the others followed the tour, Marianna watched Valentine begin to ply his craft before glancing over the rest on the deck. There were notable people. Powerful people all. Unlikely that they should be source of any issues, however as the Deva looked about, she could not shake that this would be the perfect place to target any and all who were here.

Leaving such to only Valentine's hands would be reckless. Having come to a decision, the woman moved to the Duchess, smiling softly - or her best approximation at least - as she approached. "I was informed you had taken rest, were the lodgings satisfactory?"

Small talk was far from her forte, but still, Marianna sought to strike the words up with the Duchess as she glanced about, inquisitive eyes seeking anyone passing through the main deck who looked like they were not entirely in place in the scene of this stage.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Morningstar
Off Hand: Shield

Name
Perception Check for anyone slinking about up here
1d20+5 9

It was a relief to be on a guided tour to direct her thoughts and Josephine's visage was a mask of polite interest. However, she knew she was out of her depths. Her knowledge of magic was limited to its applications in alchemical purposes. Still scientific principles were the same everywhere and could be applied to crafting a potion, boiling an egg, or erecting a magic barrier.

When the Petty Officier paused, she offered a question to him and the general group. "A question? Do the boilers use water or oil", she gestured to her nose, indicating the smell "...or some other magically enhanced fluid, perhaps? Also, do they require this siphoning of power or would it simply be wasted with no ill consequence if the Brand didn't exist?" 

Mechanics

spacer.png

ON DECK

Inspector Valentine Wollstonecraft
Inspector Marianna

"Do you think anyone on board here might have had anything to do with instigating the riots? Is there anyone on board that might want to hurt the king or the city?" Inspector Wollstonecraft asked of the Govenor.

NPC - Roland Stanfield, Male Aasimar, Govenor 

With a practiced smile he patted the young inspector on the shoulder and replied "That is what you are here to tell me. We have a thorough screening process, which I am sure the Inspector is aware. But you are here to ensure that everything goes smoothly. Yes?" he chuckled.

Meanwhile the crowds of people on the deck swirled around Inspector Marianna. To her left was a middle aged man who was wreathed by the rich smoke of a leaf of Nicodemus. To her right was a young woman who carried a parasol elegantly over her shoulder. The rich and powerful glided around her never knowing a wolf was in their midst. Ahead the inspector could make out King Aodhan, who stood next to the magical capacitor. He was in a conversation with a large hulking minotaur draped in the traditional hempen robe from his people.

It was then that Marianna approached the Duchess "I was informed you had taken rest, were the lodgings satisfactory?"

NPC - Ethelyn of Shale, Female Human, Noble

The Duchess Ethelyn of Shale, smiled and gestured with her head towards the large beast that was talking to the king. Ignoring the Inspector's question for a moment "The Ber ambassador, Brakken of Heffanita." She said quietly. "Quite renowned in some circles. It's said that he was one of the biggest reasons for why Ber finally consolidated. He's a very important diplomat." Glancing past Marianna, her eyes settled on Sorkana her handmaiden before drifting upward towards the smoke that floated out of the stack and into the sky. "You know young woman. I remember a time before the industrial age came to Risur. The Sky Seekers still speak of it. Flint was smaller then. You could still see the planets as they moved throughout the celestial heavens. I myself still hold to the old ways. It's troubling don't you think when the very progress we strive so hard to obtain comes at the price of our heritage? Why just last week I was speaking to Skyseer Nevard Sechim, one of the most respected of the seer's about our future. He told me that the smog has prevented many of the old followers from interpreting the movement of the stars." Smiling sadly, she inclines her head. "I myself hold to the old religion. When I hear the people say such things it worries me." Glancing back out to the oceans she looks down as a pod of dolphins burst out of the water. "Well, if you will excuse me I'll be going down below to rest before tonight's entertainment. Your friend has obtained quarters for me. I think its time I head below. Good day, Inspector."

As the duchess turned, she almost ran into a servant bearing a platter of drinks that he offered "Oh! I had thought you might have forgotten about us." she said as she called over her handmaid. "I do guess we could stay for a couple of drinks before going below." she said as she took the offered drink and turned back to Inspector Marianna "Was there something else you needed?"

THE TOUR CONTINUES
(The Gundeck)

Inspector Stevenson
Major Trakand
Inspector Montilla

Taking the group to the main superstructure of the vessel, Petty Officer Aughtbrook takes the tour group down to the gundeck. Sweeping his arms to the left and right, the man draws the groups attention to the gundeck with its twenty four cannons. "As you can see each of the cannons are typically manned with a three man crew. Though as we are not in a state of war, the ship is currently unmanned for such hostilities." Walking the tour group to the aft of the ship, he waves to a pair of doors. "This area is the observation room, while the area forward of us is the ships mage quarters" (This is also the area where it has been arranged for the Duchess to be boarded for the time between the transit). "Either of these rooms could be converted to firing platforms when the ship is in pursuit of flight. As you can see all of the lower decks have grated floor panels. This was an intention design. Due to the steam engines this allows heat to circulate throughout the ship rather then containing it to the engine deck. This also allows for easy communications between decks, as one can see and shout to someone above of below them during the pitch of battle. Moving downward I'll show you the main crew's berthing area, the sickbay and ships magazine, follow me please."

When the Petty Officer paused, Inspector Stevenson offered a question to him and the general group. "A question? Do the boilers use water or oil", she gestured to her nose, indicating the smell "...or some other magically enhanced fluid, perhaps? Also, do they require this siphoning of power, or would it simply be wasted with no ill consequence if the Brand didn't exist?" 

NPC - Geoff Massarde, Male Tiefling, Engineer

The tiefling engineer listens to the Inspector's question's before responding with a bit of pride "The Coaltongue is far beyond anything the Danoran's have on the water that I am aware of, the brand makes her the post deadly combat ship ever to be built."

He continues "The boilers use water of course. To make steam. The ship herself is solid. This is her maiden voyage, and so far she is running smooth. Quite a surprise actually since shakedowns tend to reveal flaws normally found after a drydock or yard period. There are quite a few safeguards built into the heat exchange system and the ship herself is solidly built. That said the boiler is the only form of propulsion. If it was to fail you would lose steerage and handling as well as propulsion, and a ship dead in the water can be in a dangerous situation, especially so during war time." Gesturing towards the iron reinforced walls, he nods thoughtfully. "Because she is below the waterline, if the hull was to crack it would flood the space. That would be possible I suppose, but it would take some form of an internal explosion. I doubt it would come from an overheat since we have the boiler relief valves in place to regulate steam and they are tied to the alarm sirens that would sound if there was an overheat taking place. The ship is also inlayed with a thin layer of gold that would prevent someone from teleporting in from off the ship. I suppose that someone could force their way onto the ship during a battle and then teleport in, but that’s beyond my scope of training." Moving forward he points to a set of copper tubes that run up through the deck towards the magical capacitor above. "The capacitor itself is new, and we aren’t sure how well it would run it hasn't been fully configured yet. If it wasn't done so properly it might cause some sort of feedback.. I'm really not sure. Again it is really cutting edge technology that needs to have any flaws worked out before bringing it into full usage."

After realizing he was rambling, he focused back on the Inspector's questions "The Coaltongue has one more inch of armor than most warships in her class, and 24 guns are standard for such a ship. Really the difference is in her attack ability, the capacitor and the engines. She should be able to out gun, out maneuver, and even outrun any ship her size. And if it comes to a head-to-head battle, her extra armor should give her more of a chance of survival... if any ship could get past the firing of the main weapon system. Then again, I suppose smaller, faster vessels could outmaneuver her and avoid the main brand, but that is what the 24-gun cannons are for." he mused as if in further thought.

"But no, the steam from the boilers can be released and the pressure eased. A lot of it is automatically done by the relief valves. So, no such 'magical fluid' or even flammable one is used in the boiler system. The ship herself just uses that steam to charge the capacitor. The capacitor on the main deck is what stores the charge."

All Aboard
1841 local - Moonday, April the 1st, 501 AOV

ALL ABOARD
Exposition. Montage.

Duchess Ethelyn of Shale
Handmaiden Sokana Rell
King Aodhan

Benedict Pemberton
Geoff Massarde
Captain Rutger Smith

Show Active Maps

Show Bookkeeping

INITIATIVE

Not in Use!!

MECHANICS
Not in Use!!
CONDITIONS
Not in Use!!
DESCRIPTIONS
Not in Use!!
ALBERT MONTILLA

JOSEPHINE STEVENSON

MARIANNA

MAJOR EDWYRD TRAKAND

MARGUERITE FLETCHER

VALENTINE WOLLSTONECRAFT

Albert listens intently as the tiefling talks about the machinations of the ship and how everything is top of the line. One line struck him of course, the boiler. Even with all the safeguards and release valves it sounds like if someone wanted to disable the ship the best way would be to disable the release valves and then cause an explosion in the boiler. "So what you are saying is that the boiler would be the point of failure if there were to be one. Where are the relief valves if one needed to operate them? Luckily getting onboard would be tough enough and then understanding how this beast works would be even more so. You've really outdone yourself with the design." Moving his thoughts to words, he hoped that his companions would understand that this would be the place to protect if anything were to happen. In a perfect world nothing would happen tonight, but this is not a perfect world.

Mechanics

Val thinks the mayor can be trusted. He laughs when Mr. Stanfield suggests it is his job to make sure everything runs smoothly, making sure to charm the man with flattery. 

“Of course, Mr. Stanfield. We will do everything we can to make sure this is a safe journey. I just wanted to take the opportunity to ask your opinion on the guests. I definitely value your experience, and you know these distinguished people much better than I do. If you felt there was anyone we should particularly watch closely, I would of course pay attention to that advice." 

But thinking he might be overstaying the conversation, he gives his host the opportunity to end the conversation.

"But I'm sure you have more important things to do than talk to the RNC today. Enjoy the rest of your cruise, sir. If you see anything concerning, I would be happy to look into it."

Mechanics

Notes