OOC Playtest Discussion

8w_gremlin

Talk about the playtest, rules, concepts etc, I or hopefully others will keep us updated.
Please note that this is a playtest, and rules may change underneath us.

Legal Notice

This product was created using the Darrington Press Community Gaming License. The Daggerheart Open Beta Materials are owned and copyrighted by Darrington Press, LLC. All rights reserved.
This product is based on the following Public Game Content created and owned by Darrington Press: Daggerheart Open Beta Materials, Darrington Press, LLC, 2024, available at daggerheart.com

Edited by 8w_gremlin (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Spacesong said:

Tossed my character into the applications. Drakona Wizard and con man. Looking forward to checking this out. I'm interested in seeing how this plays out.

Yeah, thanks @Spacesong think it could be good, interesting to see how it progresses.

Yeah @Dixi it's an interesting system, and we may need to do something slightly different for the PBp medium, hope you'll all help me when mistakes are made.
We're all learning this, and I'll do my upmost.

I can see benefits and challenges to it for PbP. It will be nice that players don’t have to burn a round of posts just for initiative rolls, and free-form order means that in many cases folks can post their action when they’re on instead of having to wait down the order to a time they may NOT be online (and thus others then are waiting on them for their own go at bat)

Doing stuff like team-up moves and making sure no one spams too many actions in a row will probably be trickier.

Lots of discussions about this style of initiative on some forums already. Might be a limit on the number of actions you can take before someone else has to act.
We'll look at it as it seems to be a sticking point.

Thoughts?

Awesome to see someone trying this. The main issue regarding initiative/turns is that the intended audience isn’t tabletop players but rather Let’s Play groups where there is a cohesive unit of people all familiar with each other and willing and able to riff off of each other.

That being said, I’m still very excited for the system and seeing how it works as is and what can be done to make it better for PbP.

Unless someone's turn will sound like "I stick my knife into the monster until the monster is dead", we can probably go with "one meaningful post per round", where "round" is when everyone in the group (including DM) made a post. Would it work?

3 hours ago, Dixi said:

Unless someone's turn will sound like "I stick my knife into the monster until the monster is dead", we can probably go with "one meaningful post per round", where "round" is when everyone in the group (including DM) made a post. Would it work?

If I understand that part well enough, the GM moves are essentially accumulated by PC moves + fear expenditure, so I feel like making sure the GM has “a go” is built in pretty well, so making sure each party member is acting reasonably regularly should be the only thing to keep an eye out for. And PC’s are supposed to try and do that: look for openings for the other characters to act and / or set up Tag Team moves.

Oh, that reminds me of a thing that will probably need some level of house ruling for PBP: tag team moves and some abilities have a “per session” limit. Since PBP doesn’t really run on sessions, there would have to be some agreement on how “session” is calculated (once every x number of downtimes or something, maybe?