Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Vigdan 'The Dog' Luchen, Variant Human Smuggler Scout Rogue

Vigdan 'The Dog' Luchen, Variant Human Smuggler Scout Rogue

smuggler11.png.47f1780fa209335b172a3fa86207fa7c.png

Name: Vigdan 'The Dog' Luchen

Character Concept: A smuggler working the waters and forests near Kalaman caught up in a war and trying to protect those he cares about.

Race, Background, Subclass Class: Variant Human, Smuggler, Scout, Rogue

Description: Vigdan has a tanned, shaved head with a neatly trimmed goatee. He has deep set, brown eyes and a prominent Solamnic nose. His build is lean and athletic and his height is average for a human male. He typically wears a set of waxed clothing in various shades of brown and green and a short grey cloak.

Quiet and careful is how he has made his way through life and that is how he carries himself. Some would say he is cold, but those that know him well know he has a good heart.

Your Character’s Plothook: Working the waterways of the Vingaard River as a smuggler, Vigdan has connections in all of the towns near Kalaman and looks for opportunities to make coin. The Kingfisher festival in Vogler was one such opportunity. Bringing a selection of luxury goods, foodstuffs and fine brandy hidden in baskets of fish, Vigdan was able to sneak these items right under the nose of Wharfinger Upton, the Dockmaster at Vogler. He decides to stay and enjoy the festival and spend some of his new coins. When the town is attacked, He fights to protect the people of Vogler and himself and puts arrows into several of the reptilian attackers. Although his boat is small, only a double sized rowboat, he's able to rescue 4 Vogler villagers, rowing like the 2nd Cataclysm is on his tail. Back in Kalaman, he knows that the Dragon Army won't stop. They'll come to Kalaman soon. His mother and younger sister live near the docks. He was just a smuggler, but he knew the area well. Maybe he could help?

Past is Prologue: Born to a family of fisherfolk in the Solamnic city of Kalaman, Vigdan grew up working the river and bay with his Da. His Da taught him all that he knew of the waters and of the secret coves and inlets. Their family was poor, but they never seemed to want for things. When Vigdan was 17, his Da disappeared. Their boat was still tied up, but he was gone. His body washed up in the Bay several days later. He had been stabbed in the back. The family was devastated. Vigdan knew he would have to support the family now. He took their boat out onto the water for the first time and found a small pouch of gold under the seat of the double rowboat. Asking around to his Da's friends and other fishers, Vigdan learned that day that his father supplemented his income with off the books shipping. His Da was a smuggler, and that's probably what got him killed.. With the pressure of supporting his mother and baby sister Vigdan began to do the same, despite the danger. Using all the hiding spots his Da had shown him and using tricks of his own, he began to ship goods into Kalaman and neighboring towns without paying duties. It's been five years since his Da died, and Vigdan still doesn't know why he was killed. He's built a small, but prosperous smuggling business.

Truths, Rumors, and Lies:

1. [True Rumor] He has 'friends' in the Kalaman militia. Some of them look the other way at his business dealings.
  2. [False Rumor] He has connections in Nightlund that can get items that are forbidden by the Solamnic Knights.
  3. [True or False Rumor] They call him 'The Dog' because he once stole a prized pedigree hound from a Solamnic noble in Kalaman and smuggled it to another noble in Palanthas

Include at least two of the following in your application:
Is Might Right? *Laughs* 'The only people who care about that question are those with might or those trying to get it. Let them fight for it. The rest of us will go about our lives.
The Knights that run Kalaman are mighty, but they are not a bad lot. A little snooty and stuck up for me, but they run things fair. If they didn't, well, they'd have a whole city full of people looking to use their might to make things right. I guess thats the real answer. As long as everybody gets a fair shot, then the ones at top are Right.'

Deity: 'I'm not very religious. I say a prayer to Shinare when I'm setting forth on a trip, so that good coins will come my way. Mostly, I just pray to Habbakuk for calm waters and for good fishing for my Ma and sister.'

Connections: Vigdan's Ma (Ashlan) and his young sister (Korinna) live in a small fishing shack near the docks of Kalaman.

Someone murdered Vigdan's father and he doesn't know who or why. Is that person still out there?

Edited by RagallachMC (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Variant Human Lineage

Ability Scores: Dex +1, Int +1
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 ft.

Age. Humans reach adulthood in their late teens and live less than a century. (22)

Size. Humans vary widely in height and build, from barely 5 feet to well over 6 feet tall. Regardless of your position in that range, your size is Medium.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and one extra language of your choice. Humans typically learn the languages of other peoples they deal with, including obscure dialects. They are fond of sprinkling their speech with words borrowed from other tongues: Orc curses, Elvish musical expressions, Dwarvish military phrases, and so on. (Solamnic)

Skills. You gain Proficiency in one skill of your choice. (Perception)

Feat. You gain one feat of your choice. (Sharpshooter)

Source: PHB, page 31.

Posted (edited)

Smuggler Background

On a rickety barge, you carried a hundred longswords in fish barrels right past the dock master’s oblivious lackeys. You have paddled a riverboat filled with stolen elven wine under the gaze of the moon and sold it for twice its value in the morning. In your more charitable times, you have transported innocents out of war zones or helped guide herd animals to safety on the banks of a burning river.

Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Deception
Tool Proficiencies: Vehicles (water)
Languages: One of your choice (Solamnic)
Equipment: A pair of leather boots, A set of common clothes, a leather pouch with 15gp

Feature: Down Low

You are acquainted with a network of smugglers who are willing to help you out of tight situations. While in a particular town, city, or other similarly sized community (DM’s discretion), you and your companions can stay for free in safe houses. Safe houses provide a poor lifestyle. While staying at a safe house, you can choose to keep your presence (and that of your companions) a secret.

Suggested Characteristics

In general, smugglers value survival and then profit, above other things. One could be a part of a larger organization, or might run a small smuggling vessel of their own. Smugglers live the lies they have told, and they have a natural ability to recall all the falsehoods and half-truths they have ever spouted.

Personality Trait
I enjoy doing things others believe to be impossible.

Nothing rattles me; I have a lie for every occasion.

Ideal
People. For all my many lies, I place a high value on friendship.

Bond

I give most of my profits to a charitable cause, and I don't like to brag about it.

Flaw
Few people know the real me.

Source: Ghosts of Saltmarsh

Posted (edited)

Scout Rogue

Level Proficiency Bonus Sneak Attack Features
1 +2 1d6 Expertise, Sneak Attack, Thieves' Cant
2 +2 1d6 Cunning Action
3 +2 2d6 Roguish Archetype, Skirmisher, Survivalist
4 +2 2d6 Ability Score Improvement
5 +3 3d6 Uncanny Dodge

Hit Points

Hit Dice: 1d8
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per Rogue level after 1st

Proficiencies

Armor: Light Armor
Weapons: Simple Weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
Tools: Thieves' Tools

Saving Throws: Dexterity, Intelligence
Skills: Choose four from Acrobatics, Athletics, Deception, Insight, Intimidation, Investigation, Perception, Performance, Persuasion, Sleight of Hand, Stealth

Starting Equipment

You start with the following items, plus anything provided by your background.

• a rapier or a shortsword
  • a shortbow and quiver of 20 arrows or a shortsword
  • a burglar's pack or dungeoneer's pack or an explorer's pack
  • leather armor, two daggers and thieves' tools

Level 1

Expertise

At 1st level, choose two of your skill proficiencies, or one of your skill proficiencies and your proficiency with thieves’ tools. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of the chosen proficiencies. Deception, Sleight of Hand

Sneak Attack

Beginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe’s distraction. Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.

You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

The amount of the extra damage increases as you gain levels in this class, as shown in the Sneak Attack column of the Rogue table.

Thieves' Cant

During your rogue training you learned thieves’ cant, a secret mix of dialect, jargon, and code that allows you to hide messages in seemingly normal conversation. Only another creature that knows thieves’ cant understands such messages. It takes four times longer to convey such a message than it does to speak the same idea plainly.

In addition, you understand a set of secret signs and symbols used to convey short, simple messages, such as whether an area is dangerous or the territory of a thieves’ guild, whether loot is nearby, or whether the people in an area are easy marks or will provide a safe house for thieves on the run.

Level 2

Cunning Action

Starting at 2nd level, your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

Level 3

Roguish Archetype

At 3rd level, you choose an archetype that you emulate in the exercise of your rogue abilities: Thief, detailed at the end of the class description, or one from another source. Your archetype choice grants you features at 3rd level and then again at 9th, 13th, and 17th level.Scout

Skirmisher

Starting at 3rd level, you are difficult to pin down during a fight. You can move up to half your speed as a reaction when an enemy ends its turn within 5 feet of you. This movement doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks.

Survivalist

When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in the Nature and Survival skills if you don’t already have it. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of those proficiencies.

Level 4

Ability Score Improvement

When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 10th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Using the optional feats rule, you can forgo taking this feature to take a feat of your choice instead. Dexterity +2

Level 5

Uncanny Dodge

Starting at 5th level, when an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to halve the attack’s damage against you.

Posted (edited)

Feats

1st-Level Bonus Feat

Tough

Your hit point maximum increases by an amount equal to twice your level when you gain this feat. Whenever you gain a level thereafter, your hit point maximum increases by an additional 2 hit points.

Source: PHB, page 170

1st-Level Variant Human Feat

Sharpshooter

You have mastered ranged weapons and can make shots that others find impossible. You gain the following benefits:

• Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged weapon attack rolls.
  • Your ranged weapon attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover.
  • Before you make an attack with a ranged weapon that you are proficient with, you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add +10 to the attack's damage.

Posted (edited)

Inventory

Worn

1. Studded Leather Armor (AC12)(Purchased)
  2. Traveler's Clothes (Purchased)
  3. Leather Boots (Background Starting Equipment)

Weapons

1. Shortsword (1d6 Piercing Finesse)(Starting Equipment)
  2. Shortbow +1 (Ranged 80/320)(1d6 Piercing Two Handed)(Starting Uncommon Magic Item)
    • 20 Arrows (starting equipment)
  3. Dagger (Ranged 20/60)(1d4 Piercing Finesse Light)(Starting Equipment)
  4. Dagger (Ranged 20/60)(1d4 Piercing Finesse Light)(Starting Equipment)

Instruments & Tools

1. Thieves' Tools (Starting Equipment)
  2. Double Sized Rowboat (Purchased 100g)

Other

1. a dungeoneer's pack - Starting equipment (class)
    • a backpack
    • a crowbar
    • a hammer
    • 10 pitons
    • 10 torches
    • 10 days of rations
    • a waterskin
    • 50 feet of hempen rope
  2. 3 Potions of Healing (Purchased)
  3. 1 Potion of Water Breathing (Purchased)
  4. a bedroll (purchased)

Money

Money
Platinum (pp) Gold (gp) or Steel (stl) Bronze (bp) or Silver (sp) Copper (cp)
0 369gp 5sp 0

Posted (edited)

Vigdan 'The Dog' Luchen

Variant Human Smuggler Scout Rogue

smuggler1-2.png.53cb73f51d778015c4d7e51e12f5e926.png

AC: 16 (Studded Leather, +4 Dex) | HP: 43/43 (1d8+2+1+8+8+8+8) | Speed: 30 ft.

Senses: passive Perception 15, Insight 15, Investigation 12
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 18 (+4) | Con: 12 (+1) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Solamnic and Thieves' Cant

“My words,” Vigdan Luchen said. | ‘My thoughts’ Vigdan Luchen thought. | My actions . . .

Vigdan Luchen did some things. He said some things. He did some more things.

OOC

I don’t always put OOC content in my posts, but when I do, I put it in here.

Posted (edited)
Statblock
Medium humanoid (human), Chaotic Good
Age: 22 years old | Height: 5' 10" (177.8 cm) | Weight: 178 lbs. (80.74 kg)
Armor Class: 16 (12 studded leather +4 Dex) | Max HP: 43 (1d8 + 1 + 2 tough +8 x 4levels)
Speed: 30 ft.
Proficiency Bonus: +3
STR
8 (-1)

Save: -1
Athletics: +2
Carrying Capacity: 120 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 240 lb.

DEX
18 (+4)

Save: +7
Acrobatics: +4
Sleight-of-Hand: +10
Stealth: +7

CON
12 (+1)

Save: +1

INT
14 (+2)
Save: +5
Arcana: +2
History: +2
Investigation: +2
Nature: +8
Religion: +2
WIS
14 (+2)
Save: +2
Animal Handling: +2
Insight: +5
Medicine: +2
Perception: +5
Survival: +8
CHA
10 (+0)
Save: +1
Deception: +6
Intimidation: +0
Performance: +0
Persuasion: +3

Damage Resistances:
Damage Immunities:
Senses: passive Perception 15, passive Insight 15, passive Investigation 12
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Solamnic and Thieves' Cant
Proficiencies: light armor, simple weapons, hand crossbow, shortsword, longsword, rapier, thieves' tools, vehicles (water)

Actions

Shortsword(finesse, light). Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d6 + 4) piercing damage.
Shortbow +1 (ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d6 + 5) piercing damage.
Dagger(finesse, light, thrown). Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target
Hit: (1d4 + 4) piercing damage.
Sneak Attack Once per turn, you can deal an extra 3d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack with a finesse or ranged weapon if you have advantage on the attack roll. You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 ft. of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.
Bonus Actions
Cunning Action. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.
Reactions
Skirmisher. You can move up to half your speed as a reaction when an enemy ends its turn within 5 ft. of you without provoking opportunity attacks.
Uncanny Dodge. When an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to halve the attack’s damage against you.

Posted (edited)

Lines & Veils

Lines

• Sexual violence
  • Graphic violence against children

Veils

• Sex scenes
  • Graphic Torture

Thumbs-Up (stuff you’d actually be happy to see!)

• Graphic violence!
  • Viscera and blood!

• 2 weeks later...