OOC Chat

8w_gremlin

1. Sorry to say but that's what the +1 on evasion is for, flying doesn't give you any other benefits. it doesn't keep you out of range or move you out of melee.

Absolutely not arguing (!!!!) (so, Ivy's evasion is 13 now. Neat!) but what to clarify it.

So, flying creatures do not fly up above those on the ground, but rather float on the level of everyone else? Does it mean scouting from above of flying on the roof of a tower and so on is out of the question too?

9 hours ago, Neopopulas said:

So Power Push can be used in melee to get space, and deal 1d10 damage which is great, but then you look at Ice Spikes and the Great Staff and i can't see a single reason to use ice spikes.. ever? Unless they had some environmental effect that isn't shown, the ability is just 100% less good than the great staff.

The previous version had a line about using it on groups of enemies. The new one seems to have omitted that, which certainly reduces one of its benefits. The line “if you use it as a weapon” suggests it’s supposed to have non-weapon uses, but the card doesn’t provide a lot of guidance for whether that’s difficult terrain or what.

4 hours ago, Dixi said:

Absolutely not arguing (!!!!) (so, Ivy's evasion is 13 now. Neat!) but what to clarify it.

So, flying creatures do not fly up above those on the ground, but rather float on the level of everyone else? Does it mean scouting from above of flying on the roof of a tower and so on is out of the question too?

GM has final say, but I definitely assumed "flying" included a vertical movement axis. e.g., if Ellu flies up to be Far range from enemies, and those enemies have neither a Far range attack nor the ability to fly, then they have to find other ways to either end his flight or attack at range (or pick another target). Unlike D&D, flying in Daggerheart doesn't appear to change your move speed (which I like for its simplicity), though, so you still have to make rolls to move more than Close distance with an action (and always have to roll if you move without taking an action).

My stance is that if you're taking an Action you can fly higher (move 6 sq up so to speak) so could be out of melee range, but you would be in 'Close' range still.
If you want to move higher then we need to track that on your posts, so we all know, and take action to fly higher.

Note this is kind of talked about in the Movement Rules - https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/clubs/page/682-rule-reminders/
if you want to move further then it's an Agility roll.

As to the ice spikes, you're right, it seems odd. how do you think we should handle it?

Are they created in an area (square) and then that area (square) has them until the end of combat?
And if anyone moves into the area (square) then they take the damage?

Would that work or be too powerful?

1 hour ago, 8w_gremlin said:

My stance is that if you're taking an Action you can fly higher (move 6 sq up so to speak) so could be out of melee range, but you would be in 'Close' range still.
If you want to move higher then we need to track that on your posts, so we all know, and take action to fly higher.

Note this is kind of talked about in the Movement Rules - https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/clubs/page/682-rule-reminders/
if you want to move further then it's an Agility roll.

Terribly sorry for insisting but I really need to know.

"If you’re doing something that requires an action roll, you can also freely move to a location within your Close range"

"Close ... This is generally about 10-30 feet away. "

So... I read it as "The move within close range is free and if movement is vertical flying creatures can be hovering 30ft above the enemies." As in "You can both attack and move vertically outside of melee range (and stay there)".

Our rule will be "you either attack OR move 6 sq up" - is this right?

Posted (edited)

@Dixi The Official rule is Both, not OR, I haven't house-ruled anything.

Moving Close During Actions

1. If you’re doing something that requires an action roll, you can also freely move to a location within your Close range (including Very Close and Melee), before or after using that action.
  2. This location must be somewhere your character could easily reach within the story.
  3. If you want to move Far or Very Far, or if you want to reach an area that’s not easily accessible (such as one that requires climbing, swimming, or jumping), follow the rules below.

Moving Far or Without an Action

1. If you’re not already making an action roll, or if you want to move farther than your Close range, you’ll typically need to succeed on an Agility roll to safely reposition yourself.
  2. The GM sets this difficulty depending on the situation.
  3. On a failure, you might only be able to move some of that distance, the adversaries might act before you can make it, or something might prevent you from moving at all.
  4. If there is no risk or potential complication in moving a certain distance, no roll is required.

Edited by 8w_gremlin (see edit history)

I hate myself for keep asking but I need to be 100% sure.

You said "flying doesn't give you any other benefits. it doesn't keep you out of range or move you out of melee."

So, the reason Ivy was attacked is that I did not state she was flying up above the attackers?

2 hours ago, 8w_gremlin said:

@solyrflair you've not added on any bonuses to that attack, at the moment you'll fail, with fear (I get to act)
checked it again and see that you did add your strength, and that the total is 13, with fear.

Yeah, total 13, which is a fail with Fear. Not sure there is anything I could do to fix that. But it seems rough to miss on a 13, since I rolled 11. Can't get much better, unless I am missing something to the attack roll. I am still updating some of the numbers on the mini sheet with the image.

But I will use the Retaliation to do automatic damage since I got hit. Unless I can't because I reduced the damage below my threshold. In which case, I'd rather take the damage (not use armor), so that I can use Retaliation.

On 4/17/2024 at 3:36 PM, 8w_gremlin said:

Thanks for this @solyrflair 
I've added you to the map, but if you want to move the token, you'll need to accept the invite
https://app.roll20.net/join/17022060/1fen0A
(invite link)

I've noticed you've not posted for a while on Act 1.
https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/18023-act-one-on-the-road/page/3/#comment-281658

Accepted the Invite. Should be set up on the Roll20 app. Just need access to the token.

I decided to let others post over the weekend. Then got slammed on Monday & Tuesday. Caught up on Wednesday, and posted Thursday, as I cleared up the changes in the avatar to match the new ruleset.

7 hours ago, 8w_gremlin said:

As to the ice spikes, you're right, it seems odd. how do you think we should handle it?

Are they created in an area (square) and then that area (square) has them until the end of combat?
And if anyone moves into the area (square) then they take the damage?

Would that work or be too powerful?

I don't think its too powerful, you could in theory use this spell to totally fill a large area with damaging ice spikes, but you would be using a LOT of actions to do that so i don't think it'd unbalance anything, it does mean they could be scattered around the battlefield which seems cool though.

I haven't been able to find anything obvious for things like grapple checks but as a wizard i can basically use mage hand to do anything i could normally. Can i use that to try and grab the item about from the little monster who is stealing it?