Season 3, Episode 5 - The Sinkhole

prophane

The Sinkhole

Location: The Broken Oak Inn, Burle, Viscounty of Salinmoor, Keolandimage.png.720f261c69279178cf5c0cca4fd66a44.png
Date: Moonday, Third of Growfest (festival week)
Time: just after 10am
Weather: Warming 73° and getting a bit stuffy
Sunrise/set: just before 5am/ just after 6pm
Characters Present: everyone

image.jpeg.bf783c1dd0652c15f71b906a0c8fc114.jpegUpon waking, Kelvan finds a hand-made token laying on the pillow next to him. Some dry grasses woven in to the Rune of Pursuit, the symbol of Trithereon, Lera's patron god. The cleric and her gear, though, are gone.

After sleeping in and dealing with other things that needed to be taken care of, the group eventually comes together with everyone rested and clean, the loot from the previous endeavor has been shared. Lera is conspicuously missing.

While sitting in the common room of the Broken Oak Inn, Dhiir, the one-armed barkeep leans in, "So, I heard you all talking about the sinkhole the other day, I didn't want to intrude too much, seeing as you'd just returned from the Dreadwood and all, but if you were looking for more info, I'm yer man," he says while doing his regular wiping down of the wooden bar top.

OOC

If anyone needed to do any menial work (selling captured weapons, recharging spent power items, buying some mundane gear, etc) we can assume it was taken care of the previous evening or this morning... just let me know what it was and update your character sheet to show it (entering any changes on the Change Log is VERY appreciated and helps us keep track of the details that are so easily slipped)

Character Status

Drezghl HP 17/17|| FP 16/16|| Combat Move/Dodge 7/10 ||

Hinami HP 9/11 || FP 13/13 || Combat Move/Dodge 7/12 ||

Kelvan HP 9/9|| FP 12/12|| Combat Move/Dodge 6/10 ||

Maria HP 10/10|| FP 13/13 || PI 0/5 || Combat Move/Dodge 5/8 ||

new character HP -/-|| FP -/-|| Combat Move/Dodge -/- ||

Zurana HP 20/20 || FP 15/15 || Combat Move/Dodge 8/12 ||

Edited by prophane (see edit history)

"Kelvan"spacer.png

HP: 9/9 || FP: 6/12 || Conditions/Effects: Bless +1, Sense Observation (0)

Kelvan has several beads on the table in front of him. Every so often, one will flare into brilliant light, after which he puts into his pouch. An eyebrow raises as the barkeep offers unsolicited information about the objective he had been considering as the next task for the crew to tackle.

He turns to the fellow. "You are, are you? Please, by all means, expound."

Kelvan's voice is a soft purr, but those who have traveled with him notice that he is indeed interested.

OOC: Kelvan has a new knife. Large, fancy, with a skull on the hilt, small rubies set in the eye sockets.
Edited by prophane (see edit history)

image.png.c43cb4aa63005617044070dee34a7056.pngDrezghl Half-Orc Mercenary

HP: 17/17|| FP: 16/16|| Conditions/Effects:

Drezghl came down to join the others after a good twelve hours of sleep. He was clean, well rested and hungry, feeling better than he had in quite a while. He was dressed in his regular clothes, his armor left up in the room. As always, Splitter was within arm's reach.

"Kelvan, you scoundrel. There you are. What's for breakfast? I'm starving.", he shouted across the room with a toothy grin. He sat down and looked around the room.

"Hey, where's Lera? Still sleeping?", he asked.

--------------------------------------------------------

OOCDrez helped anyone of the party members that wanted to help him sell the weapons that were captured from the gnolls. He knew that It was best Lera, Maria or Zaruna would be better negotiators when it came to trade.

He simply carried the goods while the others talked.

I know there were a couple of crossbows, some flails, shields, and knives. Not sure of the numbers. There were 4 or 5 gnolls so probably a multiple of that.

-------------------------

He resupplied his rations and consumables that he had used on the last trip. two days of ration and some bandages that were used on the green elf and the pig..

Call it 20 silver..

"Kelvan"spacer.png

HP: 9/9 || FP: 6/12 || Conditions/Effects: Bless +1, Sense Observation (0)

Kelvan looks at Drezghl over his morning coffee. He waves a hand at the table. "A traditional peasant breakfast. Three meats, porridge, and coffee. Not a bad way to start the day."

At Drezghl's question about Lera, Kelvan cracks a sly smile. "I'm afraid that Lera has chosen to move on without us. Rest assured, we parted on *ahem* good terms."

image.png.6c172d6dec6988834f8ea75327b3d193.pngQuill Dawnriser

HP: 13/13 || FP: 14/14 || Move/Dodge: 11/11 || Conditions/Effects:

gardeningatnight_beautiful_female_elf_long_hair_the_color_of_bl_0933c46a-13a6-4d6f-bd4d-7364bbd59ac5.png?ex=661df014&is=660b7b14&hm=63a76b6a43fc1e2e362373b15a277c2f62cbe27da83078b8ec15c242ba9d33ba&

A cloaked woman with a cascade of copper hair falling out from around her hood sits down at Kelvan's table with her breakfast and coffee in hand. Her garb marks her as someone who spends a lot of time in the forest, complete with a deadly bow and a large knife.

"Well, Kelvan, it looks like you will need a guide soon. How have you been?" She asked while starting to eat.

OOC:

GM NOTE:

"Kelvan"spacer.png

HP: 9/9 || FP: 12/12 || Conditions/Effects: Bless +1, Sense Observation (0)

Kelvan sighs. He realizes he has some business to attend to. "One moment, Drezghl."

He clears his throat. "Sister Maria? A word?." He waves the young beauty over. "So, I am curious. Now that you have had a taste at what our days are like, I must ask - are you still interested? Really, I completely understand if you wish to step away. It is not the life for everybody."

When Quill makes their entrance, he gives a warm smile. "'Red'? It has been a while. I see that news travels quickly in these small burgs. Yes, yes we do need a new scout." He eyes Quill's uniform with a raised eyebrow. "Are you available?"

"For business. Yes. I had planned a trip, but it can wait. I haven't been down in a sinkhole before; it should be interesting.

How big is your group?

I'm willing to help you until we return here or another town, for a fair share, of course. And I want to be in on the planning - I don't like going in unprepared. When I gamble, it isn't with my life. Once we are out of town, I must stop to pray to Solonor Theiandira.

One last thing: I don't kill for money. Meaning that I know you have been mixed up in some rough stuff. But that isn't me; I'm not the scout who would take you to raid a village - if you get what I mean." She replied as she was thinking it through. As she spoke she looked over at the others to see how they reacted.

OOC:

GM NOTE:

Hinami Human Swordsmanimage.png.38b568c3535aa38c3f9cdc19bafeef34.png

HP: 12/12|| FP: 11/12|| Conditions/Effects: Will -1 (Basic Speed, 7)

Hinami has been somewhat lurking in the background during this discussion… apparently getting boiling water for some tea.  He will make his way over to group, sit down and begin breakfast.

He isn’t wearing his armor, but he does have his swords tucked through his sash, handling them with reflexive grace.

“A sinkhole full of gems sounds quite interesting.  What tools do we need to extract them?”

He will also look at the barkeep.  “If I may ask, how did you become the local expert? And if this place is so valuable, and you are the expert, why have you not pursued it before this point?”

OOC

"Kelvan"spacer.png

Kelvan takes a sip of his tea, then a long drag on his cigarette. He exhales before answering, a cloud of smoke hovering above the table.

"Currrently, about half a dozen. A small band, suitable for more ... tactical ... operations. Some excellent muscle, a new healer, and me. Apparently you heard that we returned from our foray into the Dreadwood without our scout."

He listens with a patient smile as the young Elf goes on about expectations and religion and morality and such. In on the planning and concerned about 'rough stuff', eh? Don't worry then, I won't share that part of business with you. He shakes his head in mock concern. "Of course, of course, I understand completely. " He looks wistful for a brief moment. Ereh wouldn't have questioned such a request. I may start missing him after all.

"Assuming things go smoothly, a fair share seems reasonable. I have seen you in action before." A small quirk of the lip, could that have been a leer? Gone in a blink, and he's on to the next thing.

"Group, this is Quill. I think we have our scout. Now, to the Sinkhole."

He frowns at Hinami's question. "I have heard that the valuables are just lying about. I have an adequate eye for value - I will try to make sure we don't bring along anything worthless."

He turns to let the bartender answer the ronin's question.

Edited by taurelin (see edit history)

"Lost your Scout! No...I ...hadn't heard." She stammers, now completely flustered.

"Everyone has my regrets. I hope their soul passed on smoothly," she said, looking at the table as she traced symbols in the air.

OOC:

GM NOTE:

Sister MariaSister Maria

HP: 10/10 || FP: 13/13 || PI: 5/5

Conditions/Effects: N/A

Maria was a little late joining the others that morning, as she had spent some time in prayer recharging her staff.

"I'll have to admit I did feel a little... unprepared... this time around." Maria began in response to Kelvan's query. "I studied and read a lot about a wide range of topics and thought that was enough, but while knowledge and theory are useful, actual adventuring requires experience which I was lacking. However, do feel that Myhriss has put me on this path for a reason, and I know that if I want to help people I need to actually get out and help them. I am interested if following along wherever your group goes for as long as you will allow me."

Maria introduces herself to Quill when they meet and as the group discuss their plans she asks a few logistical questions about the Sinkhole, trying to gauge how far away it is and any additional supplies she will need to prepare.

OOC:

The Sinkhole

Location: The Broken Oak Inn, Burle, Viscounty of Salinmoor, Keolandimage.png.720f261c69279178cf5c0cca4fd66a44.png
Time: just after 10:30am

image.jpeg.bf783c1dd0652c15f71b906a0c8fc114.jpegDhiir looks at Kelvan and the rest of the group, "Aye, yes, the sinkhole. Well it happened about a month ago, out at the Ranel's place. Widow Ranel and her two boys, they're farmers out on the western ridges. She lost her husband 'bout five years ago, he was an old soldier, fought for the King years ago. Some of his old battle injuries just got the best of him, they say. They are plain and simple folk. Some harsh rains had been falling for bout a week or so, then bam, the ground just opened up, or somethin' like that. There's been folk in and out of the sinkhole for a while, but who knows, maybe there's some left down there. I'd say it's worth a look anyway, right?" he says, shrugging. "Easy enough to find the place, just follow the southwestern trail out of town, not the Longspear Trail, mind you, the one to the south west. It skirts the Silverstand, the woods just west of us. Follow that about a mile or so out, past where the southern edge of the wood ends. There's a little lake there, beyond that some hills, round that first hill and it'll take ya right up to their place. Only house out that side of the Silverstand, far as I know."

OOC

Character Status

Hinami HP 11/11 || FP 13/13 || Combat Move/Dodge 7/12 ||

Maria HP 10/10|| FP 13/13 || PI 5/5 || Combat Move/Dodge 5/8 ||

Quill HP -/-|| FP -/-|| Combat Move/Dodge -/- ||

"Kelvan"spacer.png

Kelvan takes out a deck of ornate cards and starts playing something that looks like it might be solitaire as he listens to the barkeep.

"So, tell us more about what is in this sinkhole. There is talk of gems and such. Who has seen these valuables? I would speak with them."

While Kelvan talks, he is laying out a tarot spread to give insights into the question "What unpleasant surprises lie in wait for us in this sinkhole?"

His Divination skill is 16, +1 for his Bless.

The Sinkhole

Time: just after 10:30am

image.jpeg.bf783c1dd0652c15f71b906a0c8fc114.jpegimage.png.d2c0037edd8d7ecb1bd204aa6c706805.pngDhiir explains it isn't more than an hour or so trip out to the farm. "As for folk what saw the gemstones," he says, "they hired some locals, then let some others in. Those that came out with gems flashed them around a bit in town, but then they left. I saw some ah'them with me own eyes. One fella paid his tab with me using one of em. Nice little green thing. I probably came out better in the end on that deal, but he wasn't complaining. There was talk of bandits come to waylay those making a big show of what gems they found, but I didn't really see any of that. I think it was all loud talk. I think most of what went down there wasn't really interested in doin any hard work, but some of them folk didn't have to, they say some ah'them gems were just there for the taking. Of course, after a bit of time, folk had to do a little more work to get 'em. I highly be suspecting some troupe of miners or Dwarves to be showing up soon enough to make an offer on the whole thing, that would be the inevitable conclusion, don't ya think?"

Kelven seems to be only halfway listening as he plays with his cards. The locals nearby just roll their eyes and go back to their drinks.

OOC

Character Status

Hinami HP 11/11 || FP 13/13 || Combat Move/Dodge 7/12 ||

Maria HP 10/10|| FP 13/13 || PI 5/5 || Combat Move/Dodge 5/8 ||

Quill HP -/-|| FP -/-|| Combat Move/Dodge -/- ||