• 1st edition
    • 2nd edition
    • 3rd edition
    • 4th edition
    • 5th edition
    • 6th edition
    • Anarchy
    • Cities without Number

Welcome to the city of Miami, capital of the Sovereign State of Southern Florida, member of the Carib League! Don't mind all the anarchy Omae, it's part and parcel of Miami these days. Gunderson Corp used to have a stranglehold on our fair city, has fallen on hard times, and the other corps are coming in like vultures to a corpse. The government's collapsing, security nothing like it used to be, and a bunch of eco-mages out in the everglades just got down fragging our power for a week. Everything's chaos, and it's the perfect business opportunity. Other corps are moving in, smuggled goods are in high demand, and it's never been a better time to be a Runner in Miami! Welcome to the chaos!

So I've decided to reboot one of my games from OG MW, Shadowrun: Miami, a Shadowrun campaign set in Miami. Before I set the game up though, I'd like to see which flavor of Shadowrun (or Shadowrun-like) system people would be most interested in playing it in. If there's an option not on the poll you'd like to see, let me know and I'll see about adding it or just tally your votes seperately.

Edited by saithor (see edit history)

2nd edition is my favorite, but I realize I might be the minority in that. I can definitely see the appeal of some of the more modern editions. I'll toss my vote in for 4th edition, as the anniversary edition of that book is one of my favorite RPG books ever.

Never heard of Cities Without Number, but going to check it out now!

5e is currently winning it looks like. So right off the bat, I will say this, if we do run 5e I am pumping up the rewards in Nyuen so people can actually play non-magic characters, and I'll see about trying to make Hacking less of a pain? I need to re-read the last hacking supplement because I think it at least helped out with that.

2 hours ago, Lwmons said:

I have some "make Alchemy and Matrix rules less nonsense" homebrew around here somewhere I can teack down for you if this ends up being 5e

I'd be interested in those regardless of if 5e wins the vote, would you mind sending me a copy?

So with 5e currently winning the polls by a lot, I’m going to look over Lwmons house rules, and I’m considering few others like shifting Orcs, Trolls, and Dwarfs down on the priority chart so you can get them at lower priorities

Is the consensus that 6th is trash? I have not heard good things about it from my friends who got it, but haven't taken a lot of time to form my own opinion. That being said, I have enjoyed playing in 4th and 5th so I'd be down for either. Though, it's been awhile since I played either.

6th edition is a lot better than it was on release, but it's still very different than any previous edition. Most if not all modifiers to dice pools have been reworked as part of the new Edge mechanic, which acts more as a use it or lose it currency you get. 6e still has a lot of rough edges, and most importantly of all, despite trying to reduce the complexity of the game doesn't do a whole lot to fix the issues with Hacking.

14 hours ago, Ephkabey said:

2E because sneaking into a server room and jacking in to the mainframe is way more cyberpunk than broadcasting a radio signal from the broom closet will ever be.

You can emulate this in 5e - Hard line connections are always less vulnerable to interference. Closed systems which are air-gapped and shielded which need to have the hacker at the actual equipment. Still, I do agree that there was something more visceral about the game when this was the only way to do things.