Round 5: FIGHT! The Hot New Competition - BLOODSPORTS!

EmBark

There are tales from ages long past of warriors that would fight in the arena to the death. Some would organize such competitions on faraway islands owned by quadrillionaires, some in basements in back alleyways between desperate people, some would search for the Ultimate Warrior for some purpose, but all featured rock hard bodies and harder minds going up against one another in the final contest of their lives... unless they were skilled and lucky enough to live.

The small planetoid of Hayeli was considered a den of sin and opportunism by some. The dark-hearted partner to shining al-Miraiya. The only word in the Sosai language that could accurately capture it was an ancient and little-used one: Lasabegas.

In one such den on the planetoid, there now was one such quadrillionaire organizing a stadium-sized basement for a renewed and even bloodier contest:

BLOODSPORTS!

The VIP boxes were sold out. The regular seats were overflowing. All were eager to see similar overflowing within the arena, but in blood. Fences, guns and magic wards separated the fighters from the raucous audience. An announcer took to their stage, a small platform suspended in the air and overlooking the area. Her golden hair was shaped like a microphone. Her horns hold the massive pompadour in place. Her dark skin glimmered with glitter. Her tail cracked like a whip to demand the audience's attention.

"LADIIIIIEEEESSS! GENTLEMEEEEEEEN! FOLKS OF BOTH AND NEITHER PERSUASION! ARE YOU READY TO RRRRRRRUMBLE?!"

Bloodsports rules

Bloodsports: a sporting event where 5+ warriors enter and it continues until all but 2 of them are dead. Each may bring any 2 weapons and any defensive equipment.

• Until Friday, any player may enter the arena with a warrior. The arena battle begins on Friday. A minimum of 5 warriors is needed for the competition.
  • Warriors must legally be able to consent to participate.
    • [20 imperial ft of legalese in which the organizers of Bloodsports state they cannot look into or guarantee there was no duress behind the consent and that any death that occurs is fully legal, signed in triplicate by every participant]
  • On their post, a player may do one of the following: Attack Another Warrior or Defend Against An Attack.
    • Attack Another Warrior: Select a target to battle. If they do so, they must roll 2d6 + half Mil (full Mil if using a ruler, heir or Commander) + military technology bonuses based on their equipment, if applicable.
    • Defend Against An Attack: If your warrior is being attacked, your first post after the attack must include a response and a roll of 2d6 + half Mil (full Mil if using a ruler, heir or Commander). The higher roll wounds the other warrior, or kills them if they were already wounded.
    • Attackers win ties. This makes fights faster and bloodier and rewards initiative.
  • Wounded warriors lose 1 weapon and may roll only 2d6 + military technology bonuses.
  • You may not attack another warrior if you made the latest attack in the competition. You also may not attack the warrior that was the latest one to be attacked (including warriors that still need to post their Defend action).
  • The losers' families receive "lifetime compensation" (equivalent to legal minimum wage for 40 years).
  • The two winners receive their weight in gold, sponsorships, fame and glory, and one wish of their choice--if it can be fulfilled by the organizer. (This is non-mechanical for Empire purposes--unless you participate with a mechanically significant character. Then we'll work something out!)

Posting Guidelines

• No double posting. Obviously.
  • If you attack someone, @ them in the same post. That way they know to respond.
  • If you defend against someone's attack, @ them in the same post. That way they know which of you got wounded/killed and lost a weapon.
  • If you need to defend against someone's attack, but don't post within 72 hours (3 days) of the attack, the attack is considered an automatic success.

Betting

If anyone wants to bet on the Bloodsports, absolutely do so! Characters should get into it.

If anyone wants to bet Treasure on the Bloodsports, they can put that in their sub-actions for their action attending the Bloodsports or send it through a Trade Route to me. If multiple people place bets on individual contestants and at least one of those contestants dies, I will take 1 Treasure from those who bet on dead contestants and divide the rest among those who bet on the survivors, with larger shares going to those who bet more.

If there isn't enough Treasure to give everyone who bet on survivors at least 1 Treasure, I will inform everyone involved and they can just remove their sending Treasure sub-action.

OOC

Feel free to action attend or non-action attend, as you wish! Any rulers, heirs or other significant characters can easily be seated in a VIP box. You're free to participate with any minor characters (especially Snake News reporters), as long as they have a name, appearance and personality to participate with!

If you have no good characters or bad stats to participate with, you're free to participate with a minor rogue llort of your own creation, rolling with 2d6 + 2 (or 2d6 + 0 when wounded).

Edited by EmBark (see edit history)

A lot about the group of Knights of the Dhaoine that show up to Hayeli are quite familiar to those who attended the Big Bironian Bash a few years ago - once again Eighbris in his armour took center stage, bouyed by a good record in the Bash (tied for the position of "best performing fighter who was still alive" wasn't bad, after all. As always, his companion/handler Cagairmòr was there to spectate and represent the Dhaoine in the VIP booth, while other miscellaneous Knights filtered through the crowd and got into just a carefully-balanced amount of trouble that could be sorted out later on.

If any other fighters from the Big Bironian Bash have come to Hayeli, either to compete or spectate, Eighbris makes sure that they're sent an invitation to some drinks in one of the VIP booths overlooking the arena, a decent amount of timeDepends on how long it would've taken for everyone to get to the place and the general run-up time the event has had IC. Point is, if it's possible he wouldn't have done it on the day of the fight but if it turns out everyone only arrived just before the fight then he'd have fit it in as best he could. before the start of the fight. Nobody else is given an invite directly, but...well, Eighbris would be dishonouring his sealga heritage if he looked too harshly on crashers or chancers trying their luck so doesn't kick anyone out if they've got a decent amount of spirit to their attempt to get in. Once a decent amount of people have arrived, he stands up and gives a little speech with a glass of whatever the locals said was good in his hand. "I'd like to make a toast to the one who bested all of us who are here the last time around, and who sadly hasn't given us a chance for a rematch. For those of you who weren't aware, Shi Lithium went to war after our fights, and died in battle. As good a way to go as any, for those who are like us, but still regrettable in this instance. And so," He raises the glass in his hand. "To Shi Lithium!"

Fightan stuff, electric boogaloo

Okay, it's Eighbris again (I saved myself from repeating the full description, see here if you're curious and don't remember it from the Bash), and in this ruleset he's just rolling at +3 or +4 depending on how rounding works (I forget if there's a general Empire rule for that). As I understand it the shield is basically a non-entity weapon-wise, so he'll have his main sword as his main weapon and a dagger as his second one.

In a previously unseen spectacle, the Royal Navy of Agbada can be seen landing on the planetoid of Hayeli. Stepping down from the ship is the heir to the throne of the Confederation, Prince Aki Kiniun. A strikingly handsome Lion, his athletic build is beautifully complimented by his luscious mane. Wearing what appears to be decorated pieces of salvaged metal as shoulder pads, a leather strap around his chest, and adventurer's shorts, his confidence comes through as he walked down the stairs onto the foreign planet, strutting with an unfamiliar pride. A red, white, and orange cape flows behind him, majestically. A small guard of Lion and Hyena soldiers follows. Around his waist is a magazine of Popmaize Cluster Grenades, and attached to his back is a lightweight handaxe.

Prior to any matches, he lets out a noble roar for the assuredly excited audience. "Hello, people of Tekhum! May the Sun bless us today as he guides me through this event in the name of Agbada! My father has granted me permission to show you all some experimental techniques today, so I hope you're excited to see what we can do!" He bows before the crowd.

Out of Character Notes:

Aki Kiniun is the heir to the throne of Agbada. His MIL stat is 1 (+2 if dynastic bonuses are included). Very strong. +1 from Popmaze Cluster Grenades.

Posted (edited)

The Arena

"OHHHHHH!" The announcer calls out. "It appears we have a royal here in our ring of rumbling, dear audience! Give it up for AKI KINIUN!"

She covers the microphone with one hand and speaks into a communicator ear piece. "We do have our legal liabilities covered, right? Most of these people signing up for a death match aren't a fuckin' crown prince."

A VIP Box (Where Other Spectators Are Also Welcome)

"Woooaaahhh!" Guyineber lets out excitedly as she enters the VIP box. The horned tower of muscle walks around it and leans on the balustrade, overlooking the arena. She takes in the view of the crowd and the arena and takes a deep breath.

"I still can't believe we managed to get tickets."

"One hell of an upside to your position as a future flightmaster, I'm sure."

A human walked into the VIP box after her, long brown hair and slightly ratty black suit for the occasion. Ani-Quin the racer look in place and out of place at the same time. VIP box? Not their thing, even though they'd been to the Mekh Gala. Sporting event? Damn right, that was their zone. Death matches? The only ones they were used to involved racing, not up close and personal. They grimaced a little looking out into the arena.

"Still gotta get used to the idea that these sports are your hobby."

There's a bold, new competitor that comes into the ring. A man, strong and slender, almost more like a stereotype of an above average human than anything else, steps in. There's something on his back, there's the donning of armor, and really before "The Keon Nnight" steps in. The armor is pitch black like the stars, but it seems as though there's a rainbow attempting to escape from underneath the suit.

Really it's only the Snaking Snews hovering around that anybody knows what this mysterious challenger looks like underneath that armor.

He rises something up and states... a thing in words, but not in words. People couldn't hear it, but they understood.

"For glory."

The weapon of choice seems to be a giant glaive, and some mechanical tentacles sprouted from the back.

Mechanics?

Okay so Mil stat's at 3, and this is a powerful person, but deliberately handicapping and shelling up (partly to make things narratively make sense, partly because the gender-ambivalent friend here is Just Like That. So I think rolling at 2d6+3?

On 3/26/2024 at 3:58 PM, volthawk said:

If any other fighters from the Big Bironian Bash have come to Hayeli, either to compete or spectate, Eighbris makes sure that they're sent an invitation to some drinks in one of the VIP booths overlooking the arena, a decent amount of time before the start of the fight.

Prisca arrives in the VIP booth when she obtained the invite, nodding to Eighbris she took Jy'mar sized drinks from the offered servers to toast with the fighter who had bested her in the Bironian Bash.

"Perhaps fate will let us settle our scores. My path calls me to this contest - if it ends or not we will yet see, perhaps we will be the last two standing."

Prisca has come to the fight in her Protectorate issued armor marked with the Paragon symbols and signs of fresh battle still marking them. Her twin Caestus are ready on hand for the fight to come and a Protectorate issued Jy'mar semi-automatic Coilgun.

Mechanics

This is my Current Ruler - She is rolling at a 2d6+8, no techs

Edited by SerakHawk (see edit history)

It is not Chief Navarch Ekatrin Raikier's first trip off Sansar - she has spent years overseeing the space vessels of Caipe Ushere's fleets, and significant parts of the Ouvriead project - but it is her first time officially representing the country in the territory of a foreign power. Regardless that this is not a formal diplomatic event, the head of the Usheret military carries herself with a rigidly straight posture. Her navy blue uniform is crisp, her hair pulled back in a severe twist, and her brow creased with focus. A sturdy thick metal cane supports her limp as she steps into the VIP box.

VIP Box

Despite her limp, Raikier prefers to stand rather than sit for most of the engagement, before and during the sport below. Her cane on on side, she uses her right hand to gesture as she speaks. Or, in the case of Eighbris' toast, to raise her glass. "To Shi Lithium. A fate that we all hazard, and facing it head-on."

She glances at the glass, half-drained, and mutters, "Not half bad. I shall have to see about importing some."

"Still gotta get used to the idea that these sports are your hobby." Looking to the human who spoke, the navarch nods, taking a few steps closer for ease of address. "Yes, a bloodthirsty spectacle and a detestable waste of life. It is a shame to throw away skilled or potential combatants in the name of entertainment."

"Still, at least it presents an opportunity for research, if nothing else."

Edited by Frostwander (see edit history)

spacer.png

For a time, it did not seem as if the Eucrus Alliance was going to enter the Bloodsport. The heads of state seemed to be occupied with the explosion of political quagmires both foreign and domestic, even if such a thing might have been up Navarch Tuahine's alley to let off some steam. No doubt, she was there in spirit regardless.

Instead, the Alliance seemed to have sent two Uhrayan natives. One was a broad-shouldered human in an insulated tracksuit, wearing the deep blues and golds of the Alliance. He appears to be in his early-to-mid thirties, with short black hair that is slightly receding. While he does carry a side-arm, he does not look girded for a fight in the same way that the others present are.

The other is a Bironian of a more slender build, just under six feet tall. His skin shimmers a translucent, vibrant purple, and his silver hair is bound back in a long braid that ends at his shoulders. He has two horns that jut out near either temple, running back and parallel to his scalp. He wears a light suit of armor, composed of interlocking rings--mostly meant to turn aside bladed weapons, more than anything.

"You are.. sure about this? This looks more like it was arranged by the Order of Sodium."

He spoke to the much broader, human man to his left--his gaze somewhat--okay, entirely skeptical.

"It's as above board as it gets out here in Mekhala." The man grunted, clapping Yihan hard enough that he nearly stumbled forward. "Sure, calling it a Bloodsport is a little... on the nose, but how else do you get people's attention these days? It's a sport, there's blood. Look, you've been kicking yourself ever since the North Way Cluster for not getting involved with the Hero of the Crosspaths. And I have a bet on you. So you'd be letting both of us down if you back out."

"..Has anyone told you that you are the absolute worst at pep talks? Was Janov that elegant?"

"Mm--probably. I attend all my sermons."
Andrei shrugged with both hands in the air. "I'd better get out to the stands. Last thing I want is to get counted among the combatants and skewered on your way to victory."

Their banter is interrupted by Eighbris--a knight whose voice Yihan vaguely recognizes from his time spectating the 'Bash'. Yihan shoves his way through the door, at the very outskirt of the fighters assembled while the man from Dhaoine makes his toast.

"To Shi Lithium." He calls out in turn. "I may not be her equal, but let it not be said that the Bironians miss a worthy fight."

The Llort VIP Box

As Yihan begins to mingle with the others, Andrei has already moved on to more interesting pastures. He had no particular interest in dying, and it may have been something of a surprise as the man in a deep blue tracksuit made his way into the box. "Did I see that right? Does that guy have frigging grenades strapped to his belt? Isn't that a party foul?"

OOC

The Alliance's combatant is Yihan, a Bironian expatriate from Uhra. Yihan will be rolling at 2d6+3 and wielding a cusped falchion and a dagger.

Pregame Drinks

Eighbris grins as he starts seeing some familiar faces, and it only widens when a Bironian barges into the room. Now there was someone with some spirit! "Hah! Don't worry, I wouldn't dream of suggesting like that...what did you say your name was? You've got some boots to fill, my friend. I'm excited to see how well you manage it." That said, he glances over at Prisca, his grin still on his face, and gives her a thumbs up. "Of course. I'm ready to settle things whenever you are."

The Arena

When the time comes for the fight, Eighbris wastes no time in getting out there, his red chitincraft armour, horned helmet, and shield immediately making him recognisable. Once he's in, for now his eyes only briefly flicker over the other fighters before attention immediately moves to the audience on the other side of the fence - bashing his weapon against his shield, raising his arms to them and shouting out to match their roars, egging them on and loving every moment. Why not work the crowd a little while they wait for this thing to kick off proper?

VIP Box

Cagairmòr, having settled herself into a good spot in the VIP box, chuckles when she hears Andrei's surprise at the Prince's choice of weaponry. "This isn't that kind of fight. We weren't given a list of banned weapons before coming here, and no doubt he was given a similar lack of restraint. You'll just have to trust in the armour you gave your man."

The House of Fire would not attend this new Bloodsport in force. The Games had been a staple of culture on Dur-Shalkhir for centuries, and while the Duke held little love for the spectacle of the hoi polloi he was disinclined to grant his implicit blessing to this more savage, upstart endeavor. Still, the Master of Games was not a man to be outshone, and so a passenger liner of House make appeared to answer the call. Inside traveled Belu, a recent darling of the Games, his broad shoulders and familiarity with low gravity indicative of his childhood in Industri-fief Tupsha. Skill on the sand had granted him reprieve from the mines, and drunk on victory he envisioned no future save glory.

When the bald native of Dur-Shalkhir strode into the arena, it was with the practiced flair of the entertainer. Stripped to his specialized armor, most of his skin was covered by nothing but stark white adrenal paint, the tacky substance providing both pain-killer and coagulant against wounds. His left arm was sheathed in interlocking layers of gilded titanium alloy, ending in a spiked gauntlet, while a simple nano-mesh sleeve was all that protected the arm holding a humming, basket-hilted monorapier. The helmet secured atop his head gave the impression of a beast of legend, one of the fabled "lions" as if caught and sculpted in flame. Only his face bore a color beyond chromium black and ghostly white, as four jagged streaks of red fell from right temple to the left mandible of his jaw. Striding onto the killing field, he spread both arms wide and roared a response to the shrieking crowd. Three times, his bellow nearly drowned them out, and each time the mob responded with greater furor. Satisfied at last, he raised the point of his monrapier towards the broadcasting equipment transmitting the match back to the intranets of Dur-Shalkhir, then out towards the brilliance of the inner systems.

"FOR DUKE! FOR EMPEROR! FOR GLORY!"

A Jy'mar with flyaway white fur and a pair of tiny lab goggles is arguing vigorously with the llort in charge of processing last-minute entries to the contest. "- came all the way here from Badal to be free from the natterings of shocked bystanders and vengeful relatives. I was promised bloodshed without restraint! And yet what do I find but more petty bureaucrats, yapping at my heels about 'consent' and 'wildly irresponsible experimental procedures' and 'grotesque violation of scientific ethics'. Doctor Sardonicus will not be constrained by your ethics committees! My vision must be realized, regardless of the cost, and none of you short-sighted fools will get in my -"

"Sir," the llort answers, "this isn't about ethics. For liability reasons, all contestants must provide their explicit written consent..."

"My creation does consent! That is not the issue at hand! He is not only willing but eager to destroy the criminals and degenerates who fancy themselves his competition -"

"destroy?" The figure behind the not-so-good doctor is half again as tall as any llort here, and probably well over twice their weight, a hulking mass of muscle and surgical scars.

"Not yet, Pugilarch! Wait until you're in the arena, then destroy. No, the problem is not one of willingness. It's his fine motor control that's the issue. I built him to be matchless in the field of raw strength - the dexterity needed to handle a writing implement was superfluous to requirements. Perhaps the next iteration will have a secondary set of limbs, purpose-built to allow for manipulation of smaller objects such as firearms..."

The llort clears his throat as Sardonicus trails off into muttering. "Look, doc, we just need a signature. If you're his guardian or otherwise empowered to make legal decisions on his behalf, you can sign for him."

"... ah. Legalities." Doctor Sardonicus hesitates. "I am, indeed, empowered to sign legal documents on his behalf! According to... the proper authorities. On Badal. You are welcome to consult them, but as I understand it, the event starts in less than twenty minutes. Unless you wish to deny the audience the chance to see PUGILARCH THE BRUTILATOR in action, I suggest we expedite the process."

After a brief consultation with his supervisor, the Bloodsports! authorities apparently decide that the diminutive Badalian doctor is not a serious risk for lawsuits. With a quick signature from Sardonicus, a discreet bribe, and a massive thumbprint from Pugilarch himself, the usual legalities are waived. A few minutes later, the doctor's overmuscled brainchild shuffles out onto the floor of the arena, gazing vacantly at the audience.

Details

Pugilarch and his sponsor are from the as-yet unnamed Region 4. They will be rolling at +3.

Edited by The Snark
Sardonicus is a hamster now (see edit history)

Grant us wisdom. Give us eyes.

Doom Soom had been fidgeting for hours. The Kildoran delegation arrived days before the Bloodsports, offering their services to genetically modify any interested in the games, be they competitor or gambler, and interspersed their dealings with irreverent fancy. The air was a near-constant mist of bubbles and fine rosy vapors. Doom did all that he could to numb the feeling in the course of these debaucherous revelries—imbibing a stream of differing cocktails and applying various poultices to keep the venom inside.

It crawled under his skin. He could feel it burning the skin away to demand freedom.

When the spectacle finally came in full force the Soom-Clan Raider and Executioner of the Doomweaver demanded entry. He was not content to sit within the box with Sorcerers and Thralls. He needed to be on the ground, in the thick of the quickening and blood pumping. His understanding of the ancient Kildoran Genesorcery was mostly limited to practical, direct applications, and what little he could cobble from the ramblings of Knights. He rubbed his hands to keep the tremors in rhythm. He couldn't fall apart yet. He had to see the end of the day. That's the Mother's way. He shuffled in the sands, his ragged black boots wrapped in dirtied reddened cloth kicking up sand, and formed ephemeral devils in the air. He wore what could loosely be called a robe or a cloak with an armored shoulder piece integrated into the white fabric on one arm, and a thick set of wrappings and bells on the other. He covered his face with the skull of a Lion, or perhaps an Agbadan, with the holes in the skull filled in with a light-defracting shaded crystalline material. He reached into the interior of his cloak and fumbled for something.

"Statistical Correspondent Snate Snilver here with Snake News, Live at you! We're broadcasting a special event here on our Mekhalan brand expansion week to give you the best violent competition you can find this side of Tekhum! Our best oracles and diviolmancers have run the numbers and it's looking like the odds are slim to none for most of our spectacular participants tonight! But first, a word from our sponsors!"

[Pregame Drinks]

Seraphine of Vesper likewise makes an appearance in the same armor that she wore at the the Bironian Bash - void black save for an intricately detailed lightning bolt stretching from neck to ankle. This time, however, her helmet is not in evidence, revealing her face to the world beyond her homeland for the first time since her appearance on the world stage. Or at least as much of her face as can be expected of most Veehrans: A red veil that seems to be made of something not quite silk, set with small ovals of hematite, obscures her mouth and nose.

Above that, those attending the pre-game celebration can see mismatched eyes - one a cluster of black lenses, the other a smooth sphere of titanium with a swirling dust storm where one might expect to see a pupil - set in a pale blue face that might at first make the Badalians present believe her to be a Bironian who is very rogue indeed. That impression is quickly dispelled by a glance slightly further up, however; her head has no sign of any horns, only a mass of slender black braids decorated with silver beads and pale green gems.

She raises her drink in response to Eighbris's toast, the gloves that usually make up part of her armor replaced for the evening by a pair in pale leather with gold stitching. Presumably, they afford her greater dexterity for such precise tasks as 'holding a glass while potentially drunk" than that offered by even the finest servos and synthetic grip coating.

She nods grimly at the toast and lifts the glass to her lips, sliding it under her veil with the practiced ease of one long accustomed to doing so. "To Shi Lithium! May the Wheel turn swiftly to return her to us, and slow for her slayer."

[The Arena]

Seraphine offers the crowd a shallow bow, but otherwise makes no attempt to mug for either the audience here or those watching the broadcast. Even if her reasons for attending weren't largely unrelated to the spectacle, which they are, her faceless armor makes her rather better suited to play the part of the mysterious and aloof fighter whose only concern is the arena. Whether that makes her a heel or a clean favorite for her lack of malice, well... That remains to be seen.

Details

Void-leader Seraphine will be fighting on behalf of the Twilight League. She rolls with 2d6+9 and will be using an automatic shotgun and an electrified sword wielded alongside a pistol.

Posted (edited)

The Arena

"All-RIIIIIIIIGHT everyone!" The announcer calls out as the gates for the contestants rattle open dramatically to let them enter. As each enters the arena, some mugging for the audience and cameras, others bowing or throwing up their arms triumphantly, and one even gazing around as if he has no clue what is really going on, she calls them out by name and does her job.

"Our first entrant is KNIGHT OF THE DHAOINE, EIGHBRIS! Eighbris is a favorite to win for many, as he performed admirably at the Bironian Games scant few years ago!"

A round of applause and whoops travel around the arena, matching Eighbris' energy. The cameras capture the details of his chitincraft armour. At least one channel has some nerd go into detail about the craftsmanship involved, while another talks about how unrealistic it is and that "Sansar doesn't sound like a real place if people can make armour out of crabs".

"Our second entrant is HEIR TO THE THRONE OF AGBABA, AKI KINIUN! The Prince has many admirers, for his looks, his wealth and his willingness to risk it all!"

Amidst the applause several people whistle. One channel shows speculation on whether the Prince will be on Hottest Dead Bachelor next season.

"Our third entrant is THE KEON NNIGHT! Is that spelled right? A mystery competitor! Who doesn't love a black knight?"

A few "ooohhh"s rise from the crowd. One channel talks about the history of 'black knights' in competitions. Another zooms in on the mechanical tentacles and discusses the significance of tentacled creatures in Sansarite cultures. A third also discusses the tentacles for other reasons.

"Our fourth entrant is CONSOLE PRISCA CALPURNIUS! A whole-ass tiny powerhouse and legitimate fuckin' ELECTOR herself, people! Pardon my Kildoran, but FUCKIN' WOW. This lady's got balls bigger than her body to jump into this! Console Prisca dueled at the Bironian Games and placed high, she stands a good chance here."

A round of loud cheers and fewer but louder boos go around the arena. The cameras take in the details of the psychic hamster-like ruler's human-sized armour. One channel discusses the mechanics of mechs and the square-cube law. Another advertises a Jy'mar telenovela with an extraordinary amount of characters.

"Our fifth entrant is YIHAN OF UHRA! Freshly entered into the international sphere, Uhra's got a lot to prove!"

Applause goes around, a few people wave banners that cheer on this relative unknown underdog.

"Our sixth entrant is THE DARLING OF THE DUR-SHALKHIR GAMES, BELU! No other reps of the House of Fire are present tonight, but I'm sure they send their most hot-blooded regards!"

More banners that cheer for the underdog are waved. One fan wearing a foam helmet styled like an oversized Dur-Shalkhir military helmet and body-painted in red and black tries to climb into the arena and gets pulled away by guards. One channel zooms in on this minor spectacle. Another shows highlights of the Games.

"Our seventh entrant is PUGILARCH SARDONICUS! This hulking slab of man-meat is about to slap the other contestants to pulp! Just look at the guy! And no weapons but himself!"

Loud and intrigued cheers fill the arena. One banner goes up saying JUSTICE FOR PUGILARCH. One camera zooms in on Pugilarch's surgical scars and a channel starts wild speculation about why he's got them.

"Our eighth entrant is THE EXECUTIONER OF THE DOOMWEAVER, DOOM SOOM! Make room because he's here to exume with a big boom to spread some gloom! That made sense right? How's the viewership numbers? "

One Veehran section of the arena explodes with cheers and chants of OOM OOM, HERE COMES THE DOOM SOOM.

"And we have a SURPRISE LATE ENTRY! Our ninth and final entrant, the ultimate member of our Fellowship of Blood, give it up for VOID-LEADER SERAPHINE, ADMIRAL OF THE TWILIGHT LEEEEEAAAAAGUE!"

A wave of loud noise erupts that can hardly be called cheering or applause anymore at almost twice the amount of entrants as an ordinary Bloodsports event. One fan holds up a sign SERAPHINE I WANT UR BAbies. One channel discusses the accomplishments of the admiral and her chances in Bloodsports. Another starts wild speculation over the political ramifications of an event with one nation's ruler, one nation's heir and one nation's admiral. A third shows a shipping chart. A fourth explains what a shipping chart is. A fifth explains the meaning of the word "problematic".

"ALRIGHT! Alright alright alright. The entrants have entered. The arena is ready. But now we must ask you all, in the arena, in the audience here and at home, for one important request. Sadly, our most desired contestant, Shi Lithium, the winner of the Bironian Games, whom we had immediately invited upon her victory, has passed away. She was killed in battle. A true warrior worthy of our recognition here at Bloodsports. And so we ask of you all, with all the love in your hearts and beseeching the glories of the universe... for one second of silence."

It takes a few seconds for the silence to actually be reached, but then, there it is.

One second.

"ALRIGHT, LET'S WATCH SOME BLOODSPORTS!"

Raucous applause and cheers.

The bell rings.

BLOODSPORTS has begun.

@volthawk @MadMapManPK @Rocket Relm @SerakHawk @Stygian @TheDarkDM @The Snark @Tychris1 @Lady Serpentine

Contestants

Eighbris, Knight of the Dhaoine
Bonuses: +4 half Mil
Weapons: sword, dagger

Aki Kiniun, Heir to the Throne of Agbada
Bonuses: +3 Mil, +1 Popmaze Cluster Grenades
Weapons: Popmaze Cluster Grenades, handaxe

The Keon Nnight
Bonuses: +3 half Mil
Weapons: glaive, mechanical tentacles

Console Prisca Calpurnius
Bonuses: +8 Mil
Weapons: Caestus, Coilgun

Yihan of Uhra
Weapons: cusped falchion, dagger

Belu, darling of the Dur-Shalkhir Games
Bonuses: +5 half Mil
Weapons: spiked gauntlet, basket-hilted monorapier

Pugilarch Sardonicus
Weapons: one fist, the other fist (presumably)

Doom Soom, Executioner and Heir of the Doomweaver
Bonuses: +4 Mil
Weapons: one fist (mysterious), the other first (hissing)

Void-leader Seraphine, space fleet admiral of the Twilight League
Bonuses: +9 Mil
Weapons: automatic shotgun, electrified sword

Bloodsports Rules and Posting Guidelines (reiterating them here)

Bloodsports: a sporting event where 5+ warriors enter and it continues until all but 2 of them are dead. Each may bring any 2 weapons and any defensive equipment.

• Until Friday, any player may enter the arena with a warrior. The arena battle begins on Friday. A minimum of 5 warriors is needed for the competition.
  • Warriors must legally be able to consent to participate.
    • [20 imperial ft of legalese in which the organizers of Bloodsports state they cannot look into or guarantee there was no duress behind the consent and that any death that occurs is fully legal, signed in triplicate by every participant]
  • On their post, a player may do one of the following: Attack Another Warrior or Defend Against An Attack.
    • Attack Another Warrior: Select a target to battle. If they do so, they must roll 2d6 + half Mil (full Mil if using a ruler, heir or Commander) + military technology bonuses based on their equipment, if applicable.
    • Defend Against An Attack: If your warrior is being attacked, your first post after the attack must include a response and a roll of 2d6 + half Mil (full Mil if using a ruler, heir or Commander). The higher roll wounds the other warrior, or kills them if they were already wounded.
    • Attackers win ties. This makes fights faster and bloodier and rewards initiative.
  • Wounded warriors lose 1 weapon and may roll only 2d6 + military technology bonuses.
  • You may not attack another warrior if you made the latest attack in the competition. You also may not attack the warrior that was the latest one to be attacked (including warriors that still need to post their Defend action).
  • The losers' families receive "lifetime compensation" (equivalent to legal minimum wage for 40 years).
  • The two winners receive their weight in gold, sponsorships, fame and glory, and one wish of their choice--if it can be fulfilled by the organizer. (This is non-mechanical for Empire purposes--unless you participate with a mechanically significant character. Then we'll work something out!)

Posting Guidelines

• No double posting. Obviously.
  • If you attack someone, @ them in the same post. That way they know to respond.
  • If you defend against someone's attack, @ them in the same post. That way they know which of you got wounded/killed and lost a weapon.
  • If you need to defend against someone's attack, but don't post within 72 hours (3 days) of the attack, the attack is considered an automatic success.

Betting

If anyone wants to bet on the Bloodsports, absolutely do so! Characters should get into it.

If anyone wants to bet Treasure on the Bloodsports, they can put that in their sub-actions for their action attending the Bloodsports or send it through a Trade Route to me. If multiple people place bets on individual contestants and at least one of those contestants dies, I will take 1 Treasure from those who bet on dead contestants and divide the rest among those who bet on the survivors, with larger shares going to those who bet more.

If there isn't enough Treasure to give everyone who bet on survivors at least 1 Treasure, I will inform everyone involved and they can just remove their sending Treasure sub-action.

When the bell rings, Eighbris instantly leaps into action - he wasn't going to let the action pass him by, that wasn't how you made a name for yourself. His choice of foe seems to be similarly motivated, passing by some of the other fighters to charge straight into Seraphine - that gun looked nasty, but if he could just close the distance in time, use his sudden burst of aggression to his advantage...

Mechanics

Eighbris: Mil 4, both weapons available

Attack Another Warrior: Void-Leader Seraphine - 12!

@Lady Serpentine

Edited by volthawk (see edit history)
Name
Attack!
2d6+4 6,2

ร—
ร—