Character Creation Discussion

3 hours ago, TheBard101 said:

FYI some of Chummer5's prices are strange.

Example: Cybereye and Cyberear vision/audio enhancements are listed at 4000¥ per rating. However, the book on p. 444 and 445 show them at 500¥ per rating. Kind of a huge difference. This is all over the place for the cyberware especially. Anyone have any idea why the book prices are so different from the online lists?

Errata is the usual reason. SR5e had a ton of errata, especially to core, and Chummer usually incorporates it.

Edited by Inquisitor D (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Sapphic Reiver said:

Speaking of, is there a way to set up chummer to your houserules? If not that might need some canoodling on my part.

I posted a thing that should do the metatype houserules here (I did test it but I don't know for sure that it works in practice.) The contacts and knowledge skills changes are something you can change in Chummer's inbuilt character creation options. Condensing skills is also technically possible via XML but I didn't bother to do it because you can just buy one skill and remember that the rating applies to all of them. The cyber/biotech stuff I personally just did manually; Chummer has an 'Essence Antihole' option that you can use to give yourself extra Essence.

Edited by Llyarden (see edit history)

I have questions I can't immediately find the answer to in the core book. If a magician casts a spell such as mindnet and starts astrally projecting, is the distance before the spell is broken calculated from the physical or astral body?

Another question: If a dual natured being (a shapeshifter in my case) astrally projects, is the physical body still dual natured while the soul is "out"? I e. Can someone attack the physical body from astral space, despite the astral body bring somewhere else?

21 minutes ago, Whitehart09 said:

Another question, I was considering taking piloting watercraft and have some cash to spend. There is no airboat in the setting but would we be able to come up with one?

Air_boat.jpg.5692f2fce07d3c93d4d7f271907c2cfe.jpg

There's one in Rigger 5 if you have that book. American Airboat Air Ranger - p92. (AFK so can't share the stats/cost but it's on Chummer if you're using that)

7 hours ago, Inquisitor D said:

Errata is the usual reason. SR5e had a ton of errata, especially to core, and Chummer usually incorporates it.

Well, I have the errata book and it doesn't say anything about it. I'm starting to wonder if I even have a 5e book. It threw off all of my build calculations as I have no idea what the real prices are. You'd think the actual pdf would have the correct numbers. I have a physical copy I'll have to drag out and see...

12 minutes ago, TheBard101 said:

Well, I have the errata book and it doesn't say anything about it. I'm starting to wonder if I even have a 5e book. It threw off all of my build calculations as I have no idea what the real prices are. You'd think the actual pdf would have the correct numbers. I have a physical copy I'll have to drag out and see...

It's extensive and not well distributed. I got confused because Chummer has some technomancer errata that isn't in the book or the official errata form... but is official, as far as I can tell. This thread has both that change, and a good number more. Official forums, put together by the Errata team, but never made it into a PDF? And some of these changes are significant (Technomancer priorities got a serious buff from this)

(Also, why would the physical copy have 'more correct' numbers than the errata?)

My cannibal hick swamp ork hunter is up and ready for perusal. I had fun learning the system. In regards to the Contacts, I actually did it all randomly, even the connection/loyalty spread. Fun stuff.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Ayeba said:

I have questions I can't immediately find the answer to in the core book. If a magician casts a spell such as mindnet and starts astrally projecting, is the distance before the spell is broken calculated from the physical or astral body?

Another question: If a dual natured being (a shapeshifter in my case) astrally projects, is the physical body still dual natured while the soul is "out"? I e. Can someone attack the physical body from astral space, despite the astral body bring somewhere else?

From the physical body and no respectively.

Edited by saithor (see edit history)

3 hours ago, saithor said:

From the physical body and no respectively.

Fantastic. The best answers I could have hoped for.

For my backstory, I need a megacorp that is willing to invest in rather unethical experiments in order to create/breed/control awakened animals. I guess most of them would be willing to do something like that, so I've chosen Shiawase because of their connections to Japan. I assume they (like the others) have a division in Miami, too.

There are so many spells I want! I'm pretty sure I want Heal, Stunbolt, Improved Invisibility, Levitate and Mindnet (extended). Are there any obvious ones I'm missing?

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)

35 minutes ago, Ayeba said:

There are so many spells I want! I'm pretty sure I want Heal, Stunbolt, Improved Invisibility, Levitate and Mindnet (extended). Are there any obvious ones I'm missing?

Are you going for combat mage? Some great spells for increasing reflexes, health, etc..

1 hour ago, Sapphic Reiver said:

Are you going for combat mage? Some great spells for increasing reflexes, health, etc..

I'm aiming for a support mage; stunbolt is just to have a minimum of offense. If you have suggestions for good spells that are universally useful in a party, let me know. I've been looking at chaotic world, mass bind and glue, too

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)