Application (Questions & Answers)

I dug up the sourcebook you suggested, and found something that appealed to me. The concept is an very androgynous automaton who desperately needs to know their origins and purpose are. So they have spent all their life looking and researching for every little tidbit of information. An automaton wizard 5 -- subclass to be decided. I'm tempted to go Order of the Scribes for the most research-y of researchers.

I have a question in that regard, @bwatford. Does it even make sense to have an automaton with the chaos child background? I found it a funny concept, but it might need some refluffing. For example; an automaton that woke up already tainted because the pod was not properly sealed, so something leaked out, and other stuff leaked in. If not, I can always go in another direction that fits with the theme; a more scholarly approach, for example. They'd have to have learned the art of wizardry from somewhere, after all.

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)

I play a automaton in another game and its a lot of fun. I'm looking at making a lizardfolk, for some of the same reasons. I like how their reactions and social/cultural is kinda alien which is a lot of fun.

Do you allow purchasing magic items with starting gold, or just mundane items?

6 hours ago, bwatford said:

concept is sound, refluff away.

Great!

I immediately run into a small issue with the Automaton description... It doesn't list any languages. In fact, the entire language paragraph is missing. It's present on the entry for Dust Goblins and Wasteland Orcs, but not on the Automaton or Wasteland Dragonborn. So... Common, obviously. Can I freely choose one other language? I'll have to read more about the setting and see what can fit the concept.

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, Ayeba said:

Great!

I immediately run into a small issue with the Automaton description... It doesn't list any languages. In fact, the entire language paragraph is missing. It's present on the entry for Dust Goblins and Wasteland Orcs, but not on the Automaton or Wasteland Dragonborn. So... Common, obviously. Can I freely choose one other language? I'll have to read more about the setting and see what can fit the concept.

You can choose one extra.

Thanks. Are there any particular plothooks? Are we starting out already with the understanding we are "to defeat the ancient evils within Rultmoork,
restore the waterclock, and bring life back to the land"?

edit: Sorry, didn't see the Hook thread until just now.

Edited by Cointhief (see edit history)

@bwatford I'm looking at the Kobold Press subclasses, and find Disciple of the Emerald Esoterica, which ... does not fit my character concept. But can it be refluffed? I like in particular the 2nd level feature for a research-focused character.

Side-note: Trying to figure out which Int-based skill to not be proficient in. I obviously want History, Investigation and Arcana, so... is Nature or Religion more appropriate to figure out the origin of the automata? Neither?

16 minutes ago, Ayeba said:

Nature or Religion more appropriate to figure out the origin of the automata? Neither?

Both will have their uses in the campaign, nature doing with environmental stuff and religion doing with the obvious religion behind the waterclock. Neither will be particularly useful with automata, that would be mostly arcana, with a possible dose of tools (smiths, tinkers, carpenters', etc) thrown in for whatever material the item is built from.

38 minutes ago, bwatford said:

Both will have their uses in the campaign, nature doing with environmental stuff and religion doing with the obvious religion behind the waterclock. Neither will be particularly useful with automata, that would be mostly arcana, with a possible dose of tools (smiths, tinkers, carpenters', etc) thrown in for whatever material the item is built from.

Makes sense.

What about the other question, refluffing the Disciple of the Emerald Esoterica? Essentially reusing all the features in a somewhat differently themed subclass?

7 minutes ago, Ayeba said:

Makes sense.

What about the other question, refluffing the Disciple of the Emerald Esoterica? Essentially reusing all the features in a somewhat differently themed subclass?

Works for me, but please post the rewrite of the fluff in your character thread for me for easy reference.

What are your feelings on reskinning a class? I would like to reskin Barbarian into a sword saint or swordmaster style class. Turn the Rage into a battle meditation similar to the swordmasters in the Wheel of Time. Mechanically it would be Barb, just reskinned for flavor.

1 hour ago, Streetrat said:

What are your feelings on reskinning a class? I would like to reskin Barbarian into a sword saint or swordmaster style class. Turn the Rage into a battle meditation similar to the swordmasters in the Wheel of Time. Mechanically it would be Barb, just reskinned for flavor.

As long as mechanics stay the same I am good with reflavoring a class.

We are also discussing running this in Advanced 5e Level Up on the Discord which would open up more options.

44 minutes ago, bwatford said:

As long as mechanics stay the same I am good with reflavoring a class.

We are also discussing running this in Advanced 5e Level Up on the Discord which would open up more options.

I would be down trying it. Maybe you should open a poll to see if we go that way?

1 hour ago, Harding said:

I would be down trying it. Maybe you should open a poll to see if we go that way?

I think because this game was advertised as 5e we are going to stay with the way everything is. Might do A5e on the next game offer.