The Olde Irish Pub (The OOC Thread)

Papa Bear

• 2 weeks later...

Not next week but the one after, I'll be at the slightly infamous Cabin Con for the weekend, four days of boardgames, limited sleep and only phone internet. Shouldn't really interfere with this game too much, but just in case.

7 hours ago, leons1701 said:

Not next week but the one after, I'll be at the slightly infamous Cabin Con for the weekend, four days of boardgames, limited sleep and only phone internet. Shouldn't really interfere with this game too much, but just in case.

In OH?

I’ve got some family coming to town on Tuesday and staying with me. Should be able to keep up with posts, but if I’m quiet for a few days that’s why.

Me & crimsonjoe have been doin' Origins for a dozen plus years or so. Only one HERO game on the events schedule this year -- and it's conflicting with a priority game for us.

Few years back, someone ran an Anime HERO game at the con, where everyone was an example of various anime protagonist type. I was the Magical Girl archtype -- and the only one with Code Versus Killing... *sighs sadly*

I've only been to two gaming cons, one local here (like the only time they ever tried it out in the boonies where I lived... so turnout was... surprisingly high, actually). A buddy and I decided to run a Champions game on the fly because there were not very many game being run. We decided to run a game we'd finished playing as it was fresh in our heads but decided to run a good v bad. We set a point limit and this one guy kept begging us to let him run his character that was 190 points higher than the limit because, and I quote, "He can do everything!" Uh... its roleplaying, not 'design the most powerful character'. We had to quit the game because the villain team were all good players with good planning, the hero team turned out to be paste-eaters that turned out to be this guy

FarSide_PushPull_1986.webp.70e29844b4658ec53714b71fae97c8dd.webp

There was an interesting game there where you made a monster out of play-doh and threw globs of play-doh at the other guy's monster and the Judge would determine how much battle damage the monster suffered based on how hard you threw your play-doh ammunition allotment and how big the pieces you threw were.

The other one I went to, i had only been able to get into two games, a Magic the Gathering Tournament back when the Arabian Knights expansion first came out (yeah, that long ago) and you had to buy an AK booster pack to get in the tournament (there was a 'loser bracket' so had to lose twice to get kicked out... I played two hands... three guesses as to the result of those matches and the first two guesses don't count) and the other was a Call of Cthulhu RPG and the guy who was running it was the writer and was beta testing it for release. The adventure was painful, not because the GM wasn't any good. In fact, he was excellent, but because I think the rest of the players were my hero team I described above and I just didn't recognize them. The GM ended the game, mercifully, and came up to me and my buddy (the same buddy from the champions game) and thanked us for playing because we were the only other sentient players at the table. I'd never played CoC before so I was really proud of myself (of course, good RPing is good RPing regardless of system).

I've never been to any other RPG cons, sadly. I've often wanted to go to Origins and get my rump handed to me in the Starfleet Battle tournament. I love that game but I am not that smart!

There used to be a number of smaller local cons in our area back in the 80's-90's and I've got some stories from those, but not good ones for the most part. Though I do have a friend that I mostly only ever saw at conventions (I'm about 90% sure we met in the used game booth looking at wargames and if it wasn't there, I have no clue anymore). Sadly, aside from Cabin Con, the local convention scene is now pretty much one media and gaming con in the fall and a couple of comic conventions.

I've never been to a gaming con.

I tried roleplaying with strangers at LitSF cons a couple of times, but it didn't work for me. Live with friends, sure. PbP with friends and strangers, sure. But for some reason, not live with strangers.

Heavy emphasis on the stranger.

Actually, I had a lot of fun overall, but my gaming experiences themselves kind of sucked (as described above)

OooOOOoo I forgot about the used booths

/drool

To be fair, I mostly stuck with boardgaming or card tournaments at cons. Roleplaying with strangers is a bit weird (though there was the one con where we did a very dark messed up Scooby Doo vs Cthulhu game that was a blast and Midnight Paranoia at Marcon was usually fun).

OK, I don't know what posting rates you lot have... I should usually start with that in ads but I never learn. Anyway, don't be intimidated by how frequently I might post. I don't expect people to keep up with me. I am not the most rapid poster, but there are days when I might respond to every in game post, especially in RP conversations. This is not an absolute but usually.