OOC Chat

Trish_the_Nugg_Queen

Combat training as a rule yeah, but outside of that hobbies are gonna vary from individual astartes across the legions.

Space Wolves revel or hunt, Salamanders and Iron Hands might tinker or forge something, Blood Angels and Emperor’s Children are known to pursue the arts and high culture.

Keep in mind though that Space Marines don’t get a lot of free time. When they aren’t fighting they’re mostly getting ready for the next fight.

11 minutes ago, Maester1216 said:

Combat training as a rule yeah, but outside of that hobbies are gonna vary from individual astartes across the legions.

Space Wolves revel or hunt, Salamanders and Iron Hands might tinker or forge something, Blood Angels and Emperor’s Children are known to pursue the arts and high culture.

Keep in mind though that Space Marines don’t get a lot of free time. When they aren’t fighting they’re mostly getting ready for the next fight.

Doesn't travel through the void take some time? From what I read, I think I remember that some ships were stranded for extremely long times outside of normal space or what you call it. How long does it usually take?

54 minutes ago, Ayeba said:

Useful to know. Since drinking is not a thing, are there other activities that space marines can bond over? Physical activities like grappling? Games of chance? Attend sermons?

Again, sorry for the noob questions.

Totally fine! I'm glad you're invested enough to ask questions, actually. I think they mostly see other legions as cousins, not as closely related as battle-brothers of their own legion but still family.

As for what they do in their downtime, primarily physical/mental training, maintenance of their wargear, etc. but it also depends on the legion. The Blood Angels, for example, tend to engage with art (both creating & admiring it) when they have a spare moment between combat

Please let me know if I write something weird (from a lore perspective) in my posts. You don't need to respond to it, I prefer to retcon it out.

I'd like to suggest that we all use the same tense; present or past. I prefer past, but it is not a hill I want to die on. In other words, I can do either. It's just a lot easier to read sequential posts if they all stick to the same tense.

38 minutes ago, Ayeba said:

I'd like to suggest that we all use the same tense; present or past. I prefer past, but it is not a hill I want to die on. In other words, I can do either. It's just a lot easier to read sequential posts if they all stick to the same tense.

Past tense is ok with me too

More noob questions: What is the overlap between a tech marine and a tech priest? I.e. Would it be appropriate to ask a tech marine a question about tech -- power armor specifically -- or are questions like that reserved for tech priests?

According to the die roll, my armor has the Terror be thy friend history (Fear (1) against enemies in melee). According to the description, the machine spirit is grumpy. Can you help me imagine how that would be experienced by a non tech person like Zorael?

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)

A Techmarine is, in essence, a Space Marine Techpriest. The most technically adept of Space Marines spend 30 years on Mars, learning the secrets of the Mechanicum. When they return to their Legion/Chapter after completing their training, they bring this knowledge back for use in maintaining and repairing their Legion/Chapter's equipment amongst other duties. This also means that, to an extent, a Techmarine has some knowledge of Mechanium orthodoxy and the like.

So yeah, a Techmarine would absolutely be the one to ask about any issues with Power Armour.

It's Greenskin the "official" name space marines call orcs? I.e. do some actually call them orcs, or is Greenskin more or less the only designation?

11 minutes ago, Ayeba said:

It's Greenskin the "official" name space marines call orcs? I.e. do some actually call them orcs, or is Greenskin more or less the only designation?

Filthy Xenos scum?

The Orks, also called Greenskins, are the dominant subspecies of the Orkoid race.

I had a few questions of varying nature, so I´ll just throw them out here :)

First, just so I´m getting the right intel here, we are in a time period where the Dark Angels haven´t gone through their reorganization yet, right? So they would still wear black armor, and divisions like the Firewing would still be existing? And would they refer to themselves as "Dark Angels" yet? I think I read somewhere that came in pretty late.

Next, a mechanical question that I was waiting to ask until we saw what the team would look like. I selected the Bolter Mastery special ability to make Elyas more powerful as an individual soldier, but after reading up a little on Squad Mode and how that works, I´m thinking maybe it would be more beneficial for the team if I switched that to the ability where I can share my chapter tactics with others, what do you think?

Finally, just for the GM, I went ahead and completed my sheet by spending some of the leftover XP to pick up a few more skills.

38 minutes ago, DarthAnthrax said:

First, just so I´m getting the right intel here, we are in a time period where the Dark Angels haven´t gone through their reorganization yet, right? So they would still wear black armor, and divisions like the Firewing would still be existing? And would they refer to themselves as "Dark Angels" yet? I think I read somewhere that came in pretty late.

From looking at the Timeline, the discovery of Lion El'Jonson is found between 835 and 837.M30, and apparently around that time also named his legion (?).

The start of the Ullanor campaign seems to be in 999.M30, so ~160 years later. So I reckon they did call themselves 'Dark Angels' for quite some time already. I think they Firewing stayed until the second founding. According to lexicanum it stayed atleast until the Heresy.

Regarding the colour scheme, this post seems to claim that they only changed color scheme around the second founding...

Edit: All in all I think it is safe to say that all the changes (except the naming) were made during the second founding.

Regarding 'Bolter Mastery': We don't have much ranged capacity at the moment, with most members being stronger in the melee, and we don't have a Devastator. On the other-hand, Squad modes are quite powerful and having extra options available could prove very useful.

Edited by luctius (see edit history)

I will definitively develop Vulker toward melee and support skills/talents (security, tech, craft). And durability.

For ranged options, he'll probably stick with flame/spray weapons as a good Salamander should

2 hours ago, Ayeba said:

To clarify, Orks are only one of several subspecies that make up 'Greenskins' which also includes Gretchins and Grots, basically space goblins. They rarely have a frontline combat role, and tend to serve orks as assistants, slaves, and/or food. Some lore videos would probably explain it better, but they're all technically the same species, even squigs, although the latter tends to be excluded from being called a Greenskin.

That said, Orks and Greenskins are used almost interchangeably, as Orks tend to represent them as a whole.

1 hour ago, DarthAnthrax said:

Next, a mechanical question that I was waiting to ask until we saw what the team would look like. I selected the Bolter Mastery special ability to make Elyas more powerful as an individual soldier, but after reading up a little on Squad Mode and how that works, I´m thinking maybe it would be more beneficial for the team if I switched that to the ability where I can share my chapter tactics with others, what do you think?

I had to read up on what Solo mode and Squad mode is about, and if I understand what the rulebook explained to me, we're all going to be in Solo mode at least for a couple of missions. It represents us as individuals operating as a unit, not used to working with marines outside our chapter (or legion, in this case) without the trust and cohesion of a well-trained unit of warriors. Whereas Squad mode represents us as we've grown accustomed to fighting alongside marines of a different chapter, and our squad of warriors is stronger together as a result.

What I don't know is if Solo mode skills resume if we're acting alone on the battlefield for any reason, or when Squad mode effectively kicks in. For the latter, I presume it is at the GM's discretion.

Fun fact about Orks: Everything they build are defying the laws of physics. Their guns, vehicule, bombs and other devices are made without any real working structure, and operate only because the orks believe in them to work. Basically, Orks in Warhammer 30-40k have a collective psychic field that make their stuff work. When other species are trying to operate ork weapons or device, it just don't work. Funny enough, if you check inside ork guns, there is no firing mechanism - sometimes just random objects like a teddy bear, branches and bits among other stupid and senseless crap.

And when they assemble into a Waaaagh, there are more of them collectively believing into their crap working, so they can make derelics ships, hunk of scraps and space hulks into space vehicle that can function in the void/warp, therefore, enabling them to go on a big scale conquest. They can also make gigantic Morg or Gork effigies of their gods (Mork and Gork) that operate like gigantic robot, about the size of an Imperial dreadnought.

Edited by Harding (see edit history)