Chapter 1: As Above, So Below

bwatford

image.png.04aa7f94b0b5dee69995db088834e1c0.png

Dungeons & Dragons 5e with DM BWatford

image.jpeg.041ee474bc674f0429b7ecc83c9871be.jpeg

BALVONIA PASS

Your discovery in the cave two days ago has brought you to this juncture. You've been following the faded, ancient inscriptions on the cave walls, leading to the spire foretold by the cave's lore—a towering structure once graced by flowing rivers. But that was before the Mage Wars, a millennium past, ravaged the land, transforming it into a vast, arid wasteland where the water is neigh undrinkable. If you could even find it.

Now, at the fringes of this magic-scarred desert, your band seeks the relics of yesteryear, treasures obscured by the sands of time. On the outskirts of the wasteland, the perils are not as great as within its heart, yet vigilance is paramount. Here, one must be wary of rival bands of zealots, dust goblins, or, perhaps most dangerous of all, competing relic hunters.

So here you were, in the shadow of the towering peaks of the Balvonia mountains, where the air whispered with ancient secrets, here lay the Balvonia Pass. It was a place where the boundaries between the realms of men and the forgotten wastelands blurred, a narrow trail carved into the heart of the mountains by forces both natural and mystical.

Long ago, the pass was created by the Balvonians, a tribe of mountain dwellers renowned for their bravery and resilience. What remained of the people after the devastation of the Mage Wars built a small but formidable settlement at the highest point of the pass, serving as guardians against the dark creatures that roamed the wastelands beyond.

The Balvonians were led by a chieftain named Tharol, whose wisdom was as deep as the roots of the mountain. Under his leadership, the tribe flourished, and the pass became a beacon of hope for travelers seeking safe passage.

But peace was not to last. One fateful night, a tempest arose, unlike any seen before. It was said to be the breath of the mountain itself, angered by a shadow that crept ever closer from the wastelands. The storm raged for days, and when it finally subsided, the Balvonians emerged to find the pass altered, as if the mountain had reshaped itself.

In the aftermath, Tharol discovered that the storm had uncovered an ancient path leading deep into the mountain’s heart. Driven by a sense of destiny, he gathered his bravest warriors and ventured into the unknown.

That was the last anyone heard of the Balvonian civilization, over three hundred years ago. That is, if one gives credence to the bardic tales of the wastelands. Bards often spun fabulous tales about perilous places, and since few ventured there, the truth remained elusive. Thus, bards had free rein to embellish their stories with details far removed from reality.

Regardless, you were now venturing into this pass, in search of a narrower trail that, according to the cave drawing, would guide you to the valley harboring the grand spire.

And so, our story commences...

AS ABOVE SO BELOW

spacer.pngspacer.pngBalvonia Pass
8 mi SW of the Badlands
12:00 pm
Day 1

LEY LINE DISRUPTION 93%

* Unless a spellcaster uses a bonus action to make a concentration check to manipulate the twisted magical energies resonating from the badlands when casting a spell other than a cantrip, there is a 93% chance today of an unpredictable result.

Scene Information: Please introduce your character to the others, this scene is to give everyone a chance to let everyone else learn something about your character.

Resource management in the waste will be key as there is no common access to water or the chance to forage. So, you will need to depend on supplies and magic for sustenance.

Mana Waste: You are 8 miles south/southwest of the edge of the Mana Waste, the closer you get to it or into its effects spellcasting at random as well as the risk of contamination. (See mana waste in the library.)

Active Maps

Not in Use!!

Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION

Noodles: 17 | Zelda 16 | Deidre 13 | Taborlin 12 | Willowveil 11 | Question 10

INITIATIVE

Not in Use!!

MECHANICS

Not in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Not in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

DEIDRE O'CEALLAIGH

Hit Points: 47/47
Hit Dice: 5/5
Hex: 1/1 *L
Misty Step: 1/1 *L
Spell Slots: (+7, DC 15) *L

• 1st Level: 4/4
  • 2nd Level: 2/2

DM Inspiration: 1/1

LYNESTRA "ZELDA" VORAMMAS

Hit Points: 29/29 (fey ancestry)
Arcane Recovery: 1/1 *L
Natural Recovery: 1/1 *L
Wildshape: 2/2 *S
Spell Slots: (+7, DC 14) *L

• 2nd Level: 3/3
  • 3rd Level: 2/2

"NOODLES" GOBLINFRIEND

Hit Points: 38/38 (gnomish cunning)
Psionic Power: 6/6 (d8)
Prescience Roll: (5) 1/1
Spell Slots: (+4, DC 12) *L

• Feather Fall: 1/1
  • Augury: 1/1

QUESTION

Hit Points: 32/32 (automation)
Accelerated Healing: 1/1 *L
Portent Roll 1:
Portent Roll 2:

Spell Slots: (+8, DC 16) *L

TABORLIN SOOTHSONG

Hit Points: 44/44 (divine health)
Channel Divinity: 2/2 *L
Divine Sense: 4/4 *L
Lay on Hands: 25/25 *L

WILLOWVEIL

Hit Points: 38/38
Spell Slots: (+7, DC 16) *L

CHILD OF THE BRIAR
Hit Points: 50/50 (Vulnerable fire
Hit Dice: 20/20

Willowveil

Willowveil Piney Warlock 5Willowveil.png.c0d9f74966123026bdb0e69c74e46500.png
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 15 (leather and shield) | HP: 38/38 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 12 
Spell Slots: 3rd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +7 | Spell DC: 16

As the chill mountain air of Balvonia Pass mingled with the whispers of long-forgotten secrets, the group of relic hunters gathered around a small fire, casting eerie shadows against the rocky terrain. Amidst them, a figure distinct from the others, cloaked in garments woven from the essence of the forest - leaves, vines, and flowers - stood up. Her presence carried a serene yet commanding aura, marked by the subtle rustling of leaves that seemed to follow her movements.

"I am Willowveil," she began, her voice as calm as the forest but carrying the weight of ancient woods. "Once a guardian of the Evergrove Forest, now a seeker of truths long buried beneath sands and sorrows. My journey has led me from the lush whispers of green canopies to these barren, haunted passes, in pursuit of relics that may hold the key to healing lands ravaged by the Mage Wars."

Her eyes, deep and reflective like a forest predator, scanned her companions. "I wield the powers of the Old Wood, granted by the ancient spirits that still murmur through the roots of the world. My abilities allow me to call upon beasts and shades of those who dared desecrate the sanctity of nature—they now serve as guardians on my path."

Willowveil stepped closer to the fire, letting the flickering light catch the greenish glow of intricate tattoos that marked her. "I seek the spire not just for the treasures it may hold, but to uncover lore that might restore the natural order disrupted by centuries of conflict. I walk this path not for glory, but to forestall the encroachment of darkness that threatens to consume what little purity remains in this world."

She paused, allowing her words to sink in among the group, her gaze lingering on the shadowed path ahead. "If the tales are true, and the spirits guide us rightly, our journey will demand more than courage. It will ask for a unity of purpose. For though I have the means to command beasts and shadows, it is together that we must face what lies within the heart of these mountains."

Beside Willowveil, a small creature made of twisted twigs, sharp thorns, and knotted branches crouched silently. Its vaguely humanoid shape, crowned with jagged, vine-like wings, exuded an eerie green glow similar to Willowveil's tattoos. Named Thistlewing, this aspect of nature’s malevolence watched the surroundings with a predatory vigilance, embodying the harsher, unforgiving side of the wild. Its presence served as a stark reminder of the darker forces at Willowveil's command.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Rod of the pact keeper
Off Hand: Wooden shield

Skills Performance +6, Medicine +4, Survival +4, Arcana +3, Deception +3, History +3, Intimidation +3, Nature +3, Persuasion +3, Acrobatics +2, Sleight of Hand +2, Stealth +2, Animal Handling +1, Insight +1, Perception +1, Investigation +0, Religion +0

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Edited by 8w_gremlin (see edit history)

Question

Portrait of Question, Automaton DivinerAutomaton wizard (diviner) 5

AC: 15 (Mage Armor) | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +2 | PP: 10
SS 1st 3/4, 2nd 3/3 3rd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +8 | Spell DC: 16
Portent Rolls: 13, 14 | Accelerated Healing 1/1 | Inspiration: 1/1

Question stood still as a statue for more than a minute, staring into the pass. The only hints of movement were the two crystals on her chest, constantly pulsing. Each one followed its own rhythm and intensity, and also varied over time. A careful observer might notice that they were more animated than usual.

They were, in fact, working hard to balance the internal mana versus the ambient levels. Only through careful balance would her chaotic energies remain dormant. It was usually not an issue, but the current ley line disruptions were providing more of a challenge than normal.

Fortunately, the mana balancers took up minimum processing time. The rest of its capacity was dedicated to comparing visually observable information to the relevant entries in its database. It was running multi-thread, working on several leads at the same time. One thread was searching through the historical archives. Another was analyzing the safety and integrity of the path ahead. A third one was was dedicated to analyzing the current ley line disruptions. Comparatively little resources was spent keeping track of the surroundings in other aspects, making her rather oblivious to any ongoing conversations. The task of keeping track of low-priority information was assigned to her familiar, a raven perched on a nearby stone.

As the separate processes finished, more computing time was spent on the other until they were all completed. With no prior warning, she turned towards the others. "Informative statement: There is currently a 93% chance of lay line disruption. Advisory: Caution is advised when employing magic."

She stood still again, her glowing eyes staring unflinchingly at the others, while the previously recorded dialogue was played back from her familiar to her mind. Then it moved, making a curtsy with very staccato movements. It looked similar to the way a marionette would be forced to greet by its puppeteer.

"Prerecorded statement: I am happy to make your acquaintance, sir/lady/entry... Willowveil."

It turned to the others, making a similarly awkward curtsy.

"Introductory statement: This automaton uses the designation Question. Its purpose is to find information related to its origins. Any relevant information offered will aid in the current research process. If requested, this unit may employ some of its resources to enable the second level communication protocols. This unit will attempt to answer clarifying inquiries."

Even while talking, it did not move any muscle apart from its mouth, not even blinking. Once it was done, it once again stood still as a statue save for the lights from its eyes and crystals.

OOC

Rolls, and when to make them.

I'd like to make a History (+7) check on the Balvonians, an Arcana (+7) or Survival (+3) check on the ley line disruption, and a Survival (+3) check on the integrity of the path ahead; to see if there are any risk of rock slides and the like.

When I GM, I don't like when players roll without getting my clearance first. I don't want the players to roll when there is obvious information or a trivial test (automatic success) and when they have no chance of success at all (automatic failures). No, it doesn't matter that you rolled a 29 on your Persuasion check, the king still won't give you his throne.

I don't know your GMing style, so please tell me if you'd rather prefer that I roll or ask first.

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)
Name
Portent roll 1
1d20 14
Portent roll 2
1d20 13

Zeldaruil

Lynestra Zeldaruil Vorammas River Elf Druid 2/Wizard 3Zeldaruil1.jpg.1e931d03c582bf19677af59a5cdb6872.jpg

AC: 16 (mage armor, shield) | HP: 29/29 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 16 (darkvision 60 ft.)
Spell Slots: 1st 3/4, 2nd 3/3, 3rd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +7 | Spell DC: 14
Prepared Spells: entangle, faerie fire, goodberry, healing word, speak with animals; feather fall, mage armor, shield, silent image; invisibility, web
Wild Shape: 2/2 | Arcane Recovery: 1/1| Natural Recovery: 1/1 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

As the river elf sat upon the earth, she smiled to herself for a moment, her eyes glinting. Here there was much to discover, and much to figure out—including her companions! Surely Deidre knows more about how such a technologically magical marvel as Question works, but observing Willowveil's magic will further my own researches...

But she let those thoughts pass for the moment, and with that her expression returned to its resting nonchalance. Zelda looked up at her new companions, her newly assembled team.

"These ruins were called to my attention by a colleague, and I hope to discover some ancient magic and lore therein. I do suspect there is a way to heal this land of its maladies, but there is still so much we do not know. Perhaps some lost knowledge holds the key."

She paused then for a moment. Maybe the knowledge is not lost to all; who knows what secrets the elf lords are keeping.

"We must press on if we are to find out."

Zelda stood up in a smooth motion, hoisting her pack, and quickly nodded towards the automaton.

"Well met, Question. My name is Zeldaruil, but most people call me Zelda. At least in these parts. I don't know if the answer to your origin lies in these ruins, but that may very well be one of the secrets we can uncover there."

With that, she hoped each of her companions were sufficiently invested in continuing. She wouldn't be able to complete the expedition without a dedicated team, after all. 'A unity of purpose,' indeed. This tree creature has the right idea.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Wand of the War Mage (arcane/druidic focus)
Off Hand: Shield

Proficiencies: +6 Arcana, Investigation, Nature, Perception | + 4 Stealth

Action: Zeldaruil will have cast mage armor after breakfast, intending to keep it up for the main portion of each day's adventures.
Bonus Action: In this environment, she'll have concentrated on the casting of mage armor to make sure the spell functions properly.
Move:
Manipulate:

Edited by Newcomer (see edit history)

POSTING TEMPLATE

PC

image.png.07a311e8a4267906986513d73d2158fd.pngDeidre O'Ceallaigh Human Artificer 5

AC: 20 (Splintmail+1 and shield) | HP: 47/47 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 13 
Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +7 | Spell DC: 15
Misty step: 1 (1xday) | Hex: 1 (1xday) | DM Inspiration: 1/1 | Active infusion: Enhanced defense (splintmail), Duplicate item (bag of holding)

As the river elf sat amidst her companions, a smile tugged at the corners of Deidre's lips, her gaze filled with intrigue. Here, amidst the whispers of ancient secrets and the potential great discovery of ancient technology, she found herself surrounded by a diverse band of adventurers, each with their own unique talents and motivations. Observing Willowveil's mysterious magic and the intriguing presence of Question, Deidre couldn't help but feel a surge of curiosity and wonder.

Taking a moment to gather her thoughts, Deidre rose to her feet, her clockwork prosthetic gleaming faintly in the firelight. Despite her petite stature, there was a spark of determination in her eyes as she addressed the group.

"Greetings, fellow seekers of forgotten truths, or daredevils in quest for challenge and glory," Deidre began, her voice carrying a soft, yet resolute tone. "I am Deidre O'Ceallaigh, artificer trained in the great city of Bemmea and seeker of lost knowledge. My journey alongside you is not merely one of curiosity, but of purpose—a quest to unravel the mysteries of this land and his treasures. Not for personal gain, for to profit all the world from them. I don't think alike most mages from the city - I strongly believe that knowledge, magical or not, should profit all. Of course, should be used and distributed responsibly and wisely. "

She gestured towards her intricate set of tools, ever at her side. "In my hands, I wield the tools of craft and innovation, but my true quest lies in understanding the delicate balance between magic and the world, seeking solutions where others may see only chaos or impasse."

Glancing towards Willowveil and Zelda with a nod of acknowledgment, Deidre's gaze shifted towards Question, the automaton standing with an almost otherworldly stillness. "Question, your presence is a marvel indeed, and your pursuit of origins resonates with my own endeavors. Together, let us delve into these ruins and uncover the threads of lore that may hold the key to restoring harmony to this fractured realm. I..." she took a pause measuring her words before continuing on ''...hope you wouldn't mind if I sometime pick your brain on subjects or make deep analysis about my observation on your behavior.'' she giggle a little as she is a bit embarrassed about what she's asking, a bit of red on her pale but healthy cheeks ''I truly find you... what you are... fascinating!''

With her introduction complete, Deidre stood ready, her mind already whirring with calculations and possibilities, but have also a hint of nervousness over her almost embarrassing request to the automaton. Amidst the looming shadows of the Balvonia Pass, she felt a surge of anticipation—for here, amidst ancient ruins and enigmatic companions, lay the promise of discovery and transformation.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Thunder gauntlet

Edited by Harding (see edit history)

POSTING TEMPLATE

PC

"Noodles" Wyrd Gnome Soulknife 5 image.png.0816997d25e6c32ed0610b7b266d9230.png

AC: 16 (st leather) | HP: 38/38 | Init: +4 | Passive Perc: 17 
Spell Attack: +4 | Spell DC: 12
Psionic Power: 6d8 | Prescience Roll: (5) 1/1 | DM Insp: 1/1

"Ooo...me!" squeals a high pitched voice from underneath a blanket.

A small greenish figure with large pointed ears and a slightly manic expression suddenly appears from the depths of his comforter. "NOODLES!" he exclaims loudly, before sitting back down looking very pleased with himself, as though this one word explained everything.

His gaze returns to Wiiowveil, eyes barely blinking as he sits and watches.

Mechanics

Main Hand: - empty
Off Hand: - empty

Proficiencies: 

Sleight of Hand +7 | Stealth +10 | Investigation +7 | Nature +4* | Insight +4

Medicine* +4 | Perception +7 | Survival* +4 | Deception +3 | Persuasion +3

Thieves' Tools | Herbalism kit

(*Denotes Proficient whilst in Wasted West / **denotes advantage on checks re. Wasted West)

Note - Arcana**+1 | History**+1 - not proficient but advantage on rolls

Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -
Possible Reaction: Uncanny Dodge if attacked and attack hits

Name
roll
3d10 1,3,6

Question

Portrait of Question, Automaton DivinerAutomaton wizard (diviner) 5

AC: 15 | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +2 | PP: 10
SS 1st 4/4, 2nd 3/3 3rd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +8 | Spell DC: 16
Portent Rolls: 13, 14 | Accelerated Healing 1/1 | Inspiration: 1/1

Question's response after Zeldaruil's introduction was almost identical to Willowveil. She made a mechanical curtsy and repeated her statement with only a minor modification at the end.

"Prerecorded statement: I am happy to make your acquaintance, sir/lady/entry... Zelda."

She was silent for a few seconds, then it added. "Acknowledgement: This unit estimates the chance of obtaining significant information information related to its origins here to be less than 5%, but greater than 0%."

The longer introduction from Deidre was recorded and analyzed for a few moments before she repeated the bow and prerecorded greeting.

10 hours ago, Harding said:

''...hope you wouldn't mind if I sometime pick your brain on subjects or make deep analysis about my observation on your behavior.'' she giggle a little as she is a bit embarrassed about what she's asking, a bit of red on her pale but healthy cheeks ''I truly find you... what you are... fascinating!''

Deidre's comment aimed directly at Question caused it her processes to speed up. The statement contained some ambiguity that her mind struggled to make sense of. She tried to run the statement against its database entries on human humor. The result was estimated to a 23.2% chance that the statement was intended to be humorous, which was both too low and too high to conclude anything. With no certain parsing of the comment, she required a clarifying question to properly parse it.

"Inquiry: Do you intend to disassemble this one's processing unit? This unit requires a functional processing unit to operate. The request must denied."

5 hours ago, MysteriousMiller said:

"Ooo...me!" "NOODLES!" 

Question turned towards the gnome. She stared unflinchingly at him for a few seconds before speaking.

"Syntax error: Failed to parse expression. Please try again."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Spellbook
Off Hand: -

Proficiencies: Arcana/History/Investigation +7, Nature/Religion +4, Survival +3

Action: Casting Mage Armor if it wasn't already up.
Bonus Action: Trying to keep the disruptions at bay.
Move: -
Manipulate: -

Spells

SPELLS PREPARED

Cantrips: Crushing Curse * |  Pummelstone* | Mage HandMinor Illusion

1st level: Shield (R) | Absorb Elements (R) | Feather Fall (R) | Mage Armor | Pendulum* (C)

2nd level: Misty Step (B) | Invisibility (C) | Web (C)

3rd level: Summon Undead (C)

RITUALS

1st level: Detect Magic | Comprehend Languages | Find Familiar | Identify | Speak with Inanimate Object

2nd level: Augury

3nd level: Tiny Hut

Allies

RAVEN
Tiny beast, unaligned

Armor Class 12
Hit Points 1 (1d4-1)
Speed 10 ft., fly 50 ft.

STR 2 (-4) | DEX 14 (+2) | CON 8 (-1) | INT 2 (-4) | WIS 12 (+1) | CHA 6 (-2)

Skills Perception +3
Senses passive Perception 13

Mimicry. The raven can mimic simple sounds it has heard, such as a person whispering, a baby crying, or an animal chittering. A creature that hears the sounds can tell they are imitations with a successful DC 10 Wisdom (Insight) check.

ACTIONS

Beak. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d1) piercing damage.

UNDEAD SPIRIT
Medium undead

Armor Class 11 + the level of the spell (natural armor)
Hit Points 30 (Ghostly and Putrid only) or 20 (Skeletal only) + 10 for each level of the spell above 3rd
Speed 30 ft., fly 40 ft. (hover) (Ghostly only)

STR 12 (+1) | DEX 16 (+3) | CON 15 (+2) | INT 4 (-3) | WIS 10 (+0) | CHA 9 (-1)

Damage Immunities necrotic, poison
Condition Immunities exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages understands the languages you speak
Proficiency Bonus: equals your bonus

Festering Aura (Putrid Only). Any creature, other than you, that starts its turn within 5 feet of the spirit must succeed on a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC or be poisoned until the start of its next turn.
Incorporeal Passage (Ghostly Only). The spirit can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. If it ends its turn inside an objects, it is shunted to the nearest unoccupied space and takes 1d10 force damage for every 5 feet traveled.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. The spirit makes a number of attacks equal to half this spell’s level (rounded down).
Deathly Touch (Ghostly Only). Melee Weapon Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 1d8 + 3 + the spell’s level necrotic damage, and the creature must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC or be frightened of the undead until the end of the target’s next turn.
Grave Bolt (Skeletal Only). Ranged Spell Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, range 150 ft., one target. Hit: 2d4 + 3 + the spell’s level necrotic damage.
Rotting Claw (Putrid Only). Melee Weapon Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 3 + the spell’s level slashing damage. If the target is poisoned, it must succeed on a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC or be paralyzed until the end of its next turn.

Deidre

image.png.07a311e8a4267906986513d73d2158fd.pngHuman Artificer 5

AC: 20 (Splintmail+1 and shield) | HP: 47/47 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 13 
Misty step: 1 (1xday) | Hex: 1 (1xday) | DM Inspiration: 1/1 | Active infusion: Enhanced defense (splintmail), Duplicate item (bag of holding)

To Question

As Deidre's words seemed to elicit a response from Question, her expression softened slightly, a hint of amusement playing at the corners of her lips. Observing the automaton's reaction, she realized her comment had triggered a unique response from the machine—a blend of logic and unexpected interpretation.

"Disassembling you?! Noooo!... Well, while it would have been academically very interesting though... But no...no," Deidre replied, her tone gentle yet tinged with a touch of humor. "Rest assured, I have no intention of disassembling your processing unit. When I mentioned 'picking your brain,' it's just an expression—a way of saying I want to talk to you to gain insights or information from your unique perspective on complex social or cultural matters."

She paused briefly, considering her next words carefully. "You see, I am fascinated by the convergence of magic and technology, and your presence embodies a remarkable fusion of both."

With a warm smile, Deidre extended a reassuring gesture towards the automaton. ''Your insights and abilities are invaluable as we navigate the challenge of this journey and the quest to uncover your origin."

To Noodle

Deidre's eyes widened with surprise as a high-pitched squeal pierced the air, followed by the sudden emergence of a small, greenish figure from beneath a blanket. The exclamation of "NOODLES!" left her momentarily baffled, her lips twitching with amusement at the unexpected outburst.

"Ah, greetings to you too, mysterious noodle enthusiast," Deidre quipped with a playful grin, her curiosity piqued by the peculiar display. She watched the figure settle back down, an air of satisfaction surrounding him as if the word held profound significance known only to him. ''Or maybe Noodle is your name? Or it is both you name AND you are a noodle enthousiast... unclear.'' she had while scratching her head a bit confused. ''Anyhow, even if it is not your name, it will stick with you now... like a well cooked noodle.'' she's laughing by herself for this pun, then continued on ''What is your expertise little friend? You cook?''

And to Willowveil

Deidre shifted her focus towards the tree-like figure, Willowveil, a pang of nostalgia tugging at her heart. He reminded her of the strange forest in the Feywild where she had once been lost, though he appeared more dignified and wise compared to the mischievous dryad-like creatures she encountered there. Bowing slightly in respect, Deidre spoke with genuine sincerity, her cheeks flushing with a hint of embarrassment.

"We are truly honored to have you among us," she began, her tone warm and respectful. "Please forgive my earlier lapse in manners... I have a tendency to become overly excited about... well, just about everything new."

Taking a moment to compose herself, Deidre scrutinized Willowveil's demeanor and appearance, studying him with a blend of curiosity and admiration. Her gaze also lingered on the other creature at his side, feeling a twinge of intimidation in the presence of such enigmatic beings.

"I must say," Deidre continued, her voice softening with a touch of awe, "your presence brings a sense of wisdom and ancient knowledge to our company. It is a honor of standing before you."

With a respectful nod, Deidre awaited Willowveil's response, her mechanical prosthetic emitting a faint hum as her mind whirred with thoughts and observations. In this diverse group of adventurers, each member held a unique story waiting to be unraveled, and Deidre was eager to learn from them all.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Thunder gauntlet

Edited by Harding (see edit history)

PC

Taborlin Sothsong Human (Variant) Paladin 5image.png.c7d97a631e3df7e266f95b2856292cf3.png

AC: 19 (splint and shield) | HP: 44/44 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 12 
Lay on Hands: 25/25 | Divine Sense: 2/2 | DM Inspiration: 0/1
Sanaa (mount): Summoned, Nearby | HP: 19/19 | AC: 11 |

Taborlin watched the new arrivals with a hawks eye for any signs of trouble. Noodle's outburst has caused her to reach for her whip, but the strange little creature just sat and observed after simply stating it's name. "Well, since my companions here have not seen to introduce me...I am Taborlin Soothsong of Friula." She holds her hands out and makes a very shallow bow, not taking her eyes off any of the newcomers. "And this beautiful creature is Sanaa. Sanaa, yarkaeTamesheq, translates to "Sanaa, kneel". an equivalent to taking a bow.

Yarkae: YAR-kau
"
She gestured to the massive hyena that the newcomers had been glancing at as it bowed its head low and smiled. "I do not seek glory out here in the wastes, only knowledge and hope...and maybe a retirement fund." She laughs lightly. "Though I feel that last one is more a fools errand than anything else."

Taborlin leans against Sanaa as the creature raises it's head back up. Sanaa's mouthful of sharp teeth made the hyena's smile seem more menacing than friendly. She scratches behind Sanaa's ear and the creature shakes it's large head, whipping small strings of drool onto nearby gear. "Lastly let me be clear, I do not trust the three of you yet. Ms. O'Caelleigh and Ms. Vorammas seem to think otherwise, and I will defer to their decision as much as I do not like it. If any of you try anything, it is not my spear you will need to worry about." Sanaa suddenly snaps their jaws to emphasize the point.

Mechanics

Main Hand: -
Off Hand: -

Proficiencies: +6 Athletics, Deception | +2 Insight, Medicine, Deception | Viol
Languages: Common, Tamesheq (Southlands dialect), Draconic

Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -
Possible Reaction: AOO if possible. Shield ally if possible

Mount: Sanaa

Proficiencies: +2 bonus | 11 Passive Perception
Weight capacity: 87/540 (no rider) | +180 (Tabs weight)+Carried Weight (Items) when mounted

Edited by scootloops (see edit history)

Portrait of Question, Automaton Diviner

Question

Automaton wizard (diviner) 5

AC: 15 | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +2 | PP: 10 / 13
Spell Attack: +8 | DC: 16 | 1st 4/4, 2nd 3/3 3rd 2/2
Portent: - | Acc. Healing 1/1 | Inspiration: 1/1

Deidre's explanation was disassembled into its core statements, which in turn were linked up with related information available. More than five hundred database entries were referenced or amended by the changes. After getting tricked and captured by the dust goblins earlier, the priority of understanding social clues had been increased, and this would aid in that process.

"Informative statement: This unit has spent considerable time analyzing itself. My mother has also aided in the research. This unit agrees Deidre O'Ceallaigh may provide additional insight. Your proposal to study this unit through non-intrusive measures is accepted."

She pointed towards the two pulsing crystals on her chest with the same staccato movements.

"Warning: This unit contains significant chaotic energies. The mana balancers keep the chaotic energies dormant. Failure to do so may result in dire consequences for this unit, as well as minor consequences for the surroundings. Attempts at intrusive measures may affect the mana balancers in detrimental ways."

She started gesturing, but this time her movements were entirely different. They were entirely fluid, outlining symbols and creating a circle in the air. A picture shimmered into existence. To most people, this was probably nonsense, but to an expert like Deidre these were recognizable as the schematic for the mana balancers. It hung silently in the air for a minute before disappearing.

Question turned to meet Taborlin's eyes as she gave her introduction and warning. For the fourth time, she made a mechanical curtsy and repeated the prerecorded message. Then, she repeated the play a fifth time for the hyena.

"Statement of agreement: This unit finds your guarded attitude logical and commendable," she said in response to the warning. She made no attempt to dislodge Tarbolin's apprehensions, quite the opposite.

Mechanics

Main Hand: -
Off Hand: Arcane Grimoire (+1)

Action: Casting Minor Illusion
Bonus Action: As a cantrip, it shouldn't need any stabilizing, right?

Spells

SPELLS PREPARED

1st level: Shield (R) | Absorb Elements (R) | Feather Fall (R) | Mage Armor | Pendulum* (C)

RITUALS

1st level: Detect Magic | Comprehend Languages | Find Familiar | Identify | Speak with Inanimate Object

Allies

RAVEN
Tiny beast, unaligned

Armor Class 12
Hit Points 1 (1d4-1)
Speed 10 ft., fly 50 ft.

Skills Perception +3

Mimicry. The raven can mimic simple sounds it has heard, such as a person whispering, a baby crying, or an animal chittering. A creature that hears the sounds can tell they are imitations with a successful DC 10 Wisdom (Insight) check.

ACTIONS

Beak. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d1) piercing damage.

UNDEAD SPIRIT
Medium undead

Hit Points 30 (Ghostly and Putrid only) or 20 (Skeletal only) + 10 for each level of the spell above 3rd

Festering Aura (Putrid Only). Any creature, other than you, that starts its turn within 5 feet of the spirit must succeed on a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC or be poisoned until the start of its next turn.
Incorporeal Passage (Ghostly Only). The spirit can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. If it ends its turn inside an objects, it is shunted to the nearest unoccupied space and takes 1d10 force damage for every 5 feet traveled.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. The spirit makes a number of attacks equal to half this spell’s level (rounded down).
Deathly Touch (Ghostly Only). Melee Weapon Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 1d8 + 3 + the spell’s level necrotic damage, and the creature must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC or be frightened of the undead until the end of the target’s next turn.
Grave Bolt (Skeletal Only). Ranged Spell Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, range 150 ft., one target. Hit: 2d4 + 3 + the spell’s level necrotic damage.
Rotting Claw (Putrid Only). Melee Weapon Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 3 + the spell’s level slashing damage. If the target is poisoned, it must succeed on a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC or be paralyzed until the end of its next turn.

POSTING TEMPLATE

PC

"Noodles" Wyrd Gnome Soulknife 5 image.png.0816997d25e6c32ed0610b7b266d9230.png

AC: 16 (st leather) | HP: 38/38 | Init: +4 | Passive Perc: 17 
Spell Attack: +4 | Spell DC: 12
Psionic Power: 6d8 | Prescience Roll: (5) 1/1 | DM Insp: 1/1

Noodles kept on staring at Willowveil... he'd never seen anyone like the Piney before!

WOW! Talkin' tree! he thought out loud, the voice in his head broadcasting his amazement to Willowveil, Question and Zelda. As they turned to look at him, he realised his mistake and frantically tried to stop sharing. No, no, no. Naughty goblins. Don't be goings in peeps heads without askin'. That's it...all stop..or izzit? Yous still listenin'? Stops, stops, sto...the little fellow was almost cross-eyed by the time he finally got control of himself.

Trying to play it cool he turned to Deidre to explain himself more clearly. "Hah! Cook...NOODLES!...hee hee!"  he giggled. "No cooking...no, no, no...findings is what I does...findings and keepings. Noodles is name...me... NOODLES, NOOOODLES!!!" he repeated, with a big grin.

The grin became more of a nervous one when Taborlin introduced her furry friend and made it clear how she felt. "No worry...verrry trusty...good doggo...no need..." Noodles snapped his jaws together in mimicry of Saana's bite.

Mechanics

Main Hand: - empty
Off Hand: - empty

Proficiencies: 

Sleight of Hand +7 | Stealth +10 | Investigation +7 | Nature +4* | Insight +4

Medicine* +4 | Perception +7 | Survival* +4 | Deception +3 | Persuasion +3

Thieves' Tools | Herbalism kit

(*Denotes Proficient whilst in Wasted West / **denotes advantage on checks re. Wasted West)

Note - Arcana**+1 | History**+1 - not proficient but advantage on rolls

Action: - Psychic whispers @8w_gremlin @Newcomer @Ayeba 5 hours connection
Bonus Action: - none
Move: - none
Manipulate: - none
Possible Reaction: Uncanny Dodge if attacked and attack hits

Edited by MysteriousMiller (see edit history)
Name
Psyc.whispers length
1d8 5

Willowveil

Willowveil Piney Warlock 5Willowveil.png.c0d9f74966123026bdb0e69c74e46500.png

AC: 15 (leather and shield) | HP: 38/38 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 12 
Spell Slots: 3rd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +7 | Spell DC: 16

Willowveil's gaze swept over the gathered adventurers, locking on to Noodles with a glare "Don't, you will not like what you see".

Her gaze moves on finally settling on Sanna, the massive beast towering among them. She approached with a quiet grace, her head bowed in reverence. The words she murmured were soft and melodious, reminiscent of a gentle breeze rustling through leaves.

Drawing closer to Sanna, Willowveil extended her hand, allowing the creature to catch her scent - a gesture of trust and respect. "She is a magnificent creature," Willowveil whispered, her eyes sparkling with a mix of admiration and affection. "She cares for you deeply; you are indeed fortunate to have such a devoted companion by your side."

The strange rapport between Willowveil and the beast was palpable as if an unspoken understanding flowed between them.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Rod of the pact keeper
Off Hand: Wooden shield

Skills Performance +6, Medicine +4, Survival +4, Arcana +3, Deception +3, History +3, Intimidation +3, Nature +3, Persuasion +3, Acrobatics +2, Sleight of Hand +2, Stealth +2, Animal Handling +1, Insight +1, Perception +1, Investigation +0, Religion +0

Note: As long as you are conscious, a beast, fey, monstrosity, or plant that can see you will never behave in a hostile manner toward you unless you or one of your companions attack it.

Edited by 8w_gremlin (see edit history)

image.png.04aa7f94b0b5dee69995db088834e1c0.png

Dungeons & Dragons 5e with DM BWatford

As they ventured deeper into the pass, Question scoured her database for additional information on the Balvonians, but her search yielded no results. In fact, this mountain range wasn't recorded on any map in her database. Scanning the area, the range stretched as far as the eye could see in both directions, which was incongruent when she attempted to overlay the data onto a known map. By all accounts, a mountain range of this magnitude shouldn't exist without representation on the map. She dedicated the better part of the day to rationalizing this anomaly. Perhaps the disruption in the ley lines also caused spatial distortions, and possibly temporal ones as well. She would require more data before she could formulate a further hypothesis on the matter. To be frank, many of her systems were struggling to operate amidst the intense disruptions of the magical forces permeating Midgard today. She sensed the ley lines shifting frequently and erratically, as they did in the Waste, yet they shouldn't be this volatile so soon.

The path appeared safe and stretched onward as far as she could ascertain. For how long, she couldn't determine, as her navigational instruments were no longer reliable. The absence of rockslide indicators was the sole positive detail her computations had confirmed.

Meanwhile, Zelda's experience was quite different. Each morning, she dedicated the first moments to focus and concentrate on erecting her protective ward for the day. She was no stranger to the disruptions caused by the Waste, but todays were exceptionally potent, and it took her more than just a few minutes to complete her spell without the chaotic energies present altering her magical weave. Her concern grew; even with intense focus, she wondered how long it would be until chaos ensued. She had witnessed the consequences firsthand: once, when casting a simple detection spell, she inadvertently blasted her teammates with a color spray, a spell she had never learned. On another occasion, while casting her daily protection spell, she unexpectedly burst into an inspiring song for a brief moment. She shrugged it off in front of her companions, but it was indeed, unintended.

Without a standardized marching order, Noodle frequently ended up nearly a hundred feet ahead of the group in a forward scouting role, while Willowveil often stayed closer to Noodle than the others, searching for any rare plants or herbs that might be growing in the area and could be influenced by the surrounding chaos.

pngtree-autumn-forest-mushrooms-png-image_13321623.pngThis left the other companions free to roam within the formation; the Pass had been sufficiently wide up to that point. However, as daylight began to wane, they discovered their sought-after landmark, courtesy of Noodles' sharp vision. To the right, just beyond a cluster of boulders, lay a narrow trail veering away from the pass and into the mountains. According to the cave wall drawing, this concealed path would lead them to the ruins they sought. Yet, with the day's light exhausted, they would have to settle here to make camp.

While the others were busy setting up camp, Zelda enlisted Willowveil's help to forage, a task made challenging by the mountainous terrain. She was grateful for the assistance; with scant wildlife around, mushrooms became their meal of choice. Willowveil identified the finest specimens, at least the ones that did not look to be tainted by the chaotic energy of the region. While Zelda busied herself gathering them. Before long, they returned to camp, where Willowveil prepared a batch of stew with their finds. They had sourced water from a nearby cold mountain stream, although it was noted that it had dwindled to a mere trickle. Anything other than a direct sourced spring would likely be tainted by the environment.

With everyone fed, they prepared to settle down for the night, using the boulders around them as cover from the howling winds that whipped through the pass.

AS ABOVE SO BELOW

spacer.pngspacer.pngBalvonia Pass
Unknown distance from the Badlands
7:00 pm
Day 1

LEY LINE DISRUPTION 93%

* Unless a spellcaster uses a bonus action to make a concentration check to manipulate the twisted magical energies resonating from the badlands when casting a spell other than a cantrip, there is a 93% chance today of an unpredictable result.

Scene Information: Now is the time to set a standardized marching order as well as a watch order that allows everyone to get at least 8 hours of rest. Full light in the region is roughly from 6am - 6pm.

Mana Waste: After a full day's march into the pass (24 miles) you technically should have crossed into the desert waste about 4 miles back but all you can see around you are the mountains still. So, your actual proximity to the Waste is technically unknown.

Active Maps

Not in Use!!

Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION

Noodles: 17 | Zelda 16 | Deidre 13 | Taborlin 12 | Willowveil 11 | Question 10

INITIATIVE

Not in Use!!

MECHANICS

Not in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Not in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

DEIDRE O'CEALLAIGH

Hit Points: 47/47
Hex: 1/1 *L
Misty Step: 1/1 *L

LYNESTRA "ZELDA" VORAMMAS

Hit Points: 29/29 (fey ancestry)
Natural Recovery: 1/1 *L
Wildshape: 2/2 *S
Spell Slots: (+7, DC 14) *L

"NOODLES" GOBLINFRIEND

Hit Points: 38/38 (gnomish cunning)
Psionic Power: 6/6 (d8)
Prescience Roll: (5) 1/1
Spell Slots: (+4, DC 12) *L

• Feather Fall: 1/1
  • Augury: 1/1

QUESTION

Hit Points: 32/32 (automation)
Accelerated Healing: 1/1 *L
Portent Roll 1:
Portent Roll 2:

Spell Slots: (+8, DC 16) *L

TABORLIN SOOTHSONG

Hit Points: 44/44 (divine health)
Channel Divinity: 2/2 *L
Divine Sense: 4/4 *L
Lay on Hands: 25/25 *L

WILLOWVEIL

Hit Points: 38/38
Spell Slots: (+7, DC 16) *L

CHILD OF THE BRIAR
Hit Points: 50/50 (Vulnerable fire
Hit Dice: 20/20

Portrait of Question, Automaton Diviner
Question

Automaton wizard (diviner) 5

AC: 15 | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +2 | PP: 10 / 13
Spell Attack: +8 | DC: 16 | 1st 3/4, 2nd 3/3 3rd 2/2
Portent: 13/14 | Acc. Healing 1/1 | Inspiration: 1/1

Question walked the entire time without hardly a single word. She harbored a feeling of frustration at its failure to comprehend the current situation. For the nineteenth time, she had to discard her predictions. The illogical nature of the place was getting to her, but the only external hint that something was bothering her was the occasional stumble. Her deductive processes were taking up so much processing power that it momentary degraded her motor skills.

Once they found the concealed path, Question recorded the limited information available without descending down the path. She took the necessary steps to ensure it was not an illusion.

The reasoning to wait until daybreak was sound. She observed the others doing menial tasks, failing to understand why. It took almost a minute for her match the movements against an entry in her database about setting up camp. "Judging statement: Camp not necessary."

She brought up her spellbook. "Informative statement: Creating Shelter. Estimated time to completion: 11 minutes."

With that, she started chanting and gesturing. Her calculations were adjusted to account for the lay line disruptions, demanding a greater share of her processing powers. She dropped most of her sensory suite in favor of her calculations, making her almost completely oblivious to her surroundings. Raven.jpg.a787ad702718ee4492b261e9e4044ca6.jpg

Overhead, the unnamed raven flew in a wide circle before settling down on a somewhat elevated rock formation. It took on the responsibility for monitoring the surroundings while its mistress was occupied.

Mechanics

Main Hand: -
Off Hand: Arcane Grimoire (+1)

Action: Casting Tiny HutTiny Hut
3rd level evocation (ritual)

Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Self (10-foot-radius hemisphere)
Target: A 10-foot-radius around and above you
Components: V S M (A small crystal bead)
Duration: 8 hours

A 10-foot-radius immobile dome of force springs into existence around and above you and remains stationary for the duration. The spell ends if you leave its area.

Nine creatures of Medium size or smaller can fit inside the dome with you. The spell fails if its area includes a larger creature or more than nine creatures. Creatures and objects within the dome when you cast this spell can move through it freely. All other creatures and objects are barred from passing through it. Spells and other magical effects can’t extend through the dome or be cast through it. The atmosphere inside the space is comfortable and dry, regardless of the weather outside.

Until the spell ends, you can command the interior to become dimly lit or dark. The dome is opaque from the outside, of any color you choose, but it is transparent from the inside.

Bonus Action: Preventing lay line disruption.

Spells

SPELLS PREPARED

RITUALS

Allies

RAVEN
Tiny beast, unaligned

Armor Class 12
Hit Points 1 (1d4-1)
Speed 10 ft., fly 50 ft.

Skills Perception +3

ACTIONS

UNDEAD SPIRIT
Medium undead

ACTIONS

Zeldaruil

Lynestra Zeldaruil Vorammas River Elf Druid 2/Wizard 3Zeldaruil1.jpg.1e931d03c582bf19677af59a5cdb6872.jpg

AC: 16 (mage armor, shield) | HP: 29/29 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 16 (darkvision 60 ft.)
Spell Slots: 1st 3/4, 2nd 3/3, 3rd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +7 | Spell DC: 14
Prepared Spells: entangle, faerie fire, goodberry, healing word, speak with animals; feather fall, mage armor, shield, silent image; invisibility, web
Wild Shape: 2/2 | Arcane Recovery: 1/1| Natural Recovery: 1/1 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

After Zelda helped forage some food for the group, she observed Question's ritual with great admiration. I have to learn how to do that! Then Zelda summoned her magical energies to cast her goodberry spell. Unfortunately, the ley line disruptionI rolled a 40, so there's chaos. I can edit this post once I know the nature of chaos this unleashed.
Fittingly, I also had a chaotic cat-on-the-keyboard disruption while posting this.
interfered with the magic.

Once the debacle was concluded, she simply shrugged and placed the berries in a pocket. She turned to the others.

"I have magical berries which can sustain us tomorrow, should we fail to find more food. We'll want to fill up our skins from the stream before departing, in case we don't find good water ahead. Should that happen, I can prepare a water spell the next day, but I'd rather not do that just yet. Question, do you require any form of sustenance?"

In truth, Zelda was more concerned with the ley line disruptions than the lack of water, but she knew the latter was likely to become more of a problem eventually.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Wand of the War Mage (arcane/druidic focus)
Off Hand: Shield,.

Proficiencies: +6 Arcana, Investigation, Nature, Perception | + 4 Stealth

Action: cast goodberry
Bonus Action: attempt to neutralize ley line disruption
Move:
Manipulate: