Application Questions & Answers

Question about equipment: can we sell/buy what we have got with the starting pack? I'd like to downgrade my armour and, if possible, buy Thieves' tools. (In case Sable will make it in to the game, of course)

28 minutes ago, Dixi said:

Question about equipment: can we sell/buy what we have got with the starting pack? I'd like to downgrade my armour and, if possible, buy Thieves' tools. (In case Sable will make it in to the game, of course)

You can opt to take starting gold instead and buy whatever equipment you like.

The amount by class list is here:

https://a5e.tools/rules/equipment

@bwatford The campaign specific Backgrounds (e.g. Ruin Delver, Starwatcher...) don't come with any equipment. Was that intentional or did the designers of the adventure omit it by accident? If an accident, can we offer suggestions as to starting gear or do you want to determine the starting gear yourself?

9 minutes ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

@bwatford The campaign specific Backgrounds (e.g. Ruin Delver, Starwatcher...) don't come with any equipment. Was that intentional or did the designers of the adventure omit it by accident? If an accident, can we offer suggestions as to starting gear or do you want to determine the starting gear yourself?

I did the backgrounds for A5e. They are designed for you to use the characters starting wealth (based on class) as per the rules and buy any equipment you like.

https://a5e.tools/rules/equipment

I'm making weapon purchase choices for my Application, and I'm seeing weapon qualities that are not part of standard 5e--and I can't seem to find where these weapon qualities are explained on the 5eLevelUp site. Can you point me to the place where new weapon qualities are explained?

If the info is behind a paywall, can you provide a brief explanation of the following weapon qualities?

Deal Wielding

Parrying

Defensive (light)

1 hour ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

I'm making weapon purchase choices for my Application, and I'm seeing weapon qualities that are not part of standard 5e--and I can't seem to find where these weapon qualities are explained on the 5eLevelUp site. Can you point me to the place where new weapon qualities are explained?

If the info is behind a paywall, can you provide a brief explanation of the following weapon qualities?

Deal Wielding

Parrying

Defensive (light)

Here you go...

https://a5e.tools/rules/weapon-properties

Thanks!

So if you are dual wielding and both weapons have the Parrying quality (e.g. short sword and dueling dagger), can you parry two attacks (e.g. add a d4 to your AC) instead of one?

If you need to think about the answer before you make a decision, take your time. My PC is taking short sword and dueling dagger regardless of the answer.

45 minutes ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

Thanks!

So if you are dual wielding and both weapons have the Parrying quality (e.g. short sword and dueling dagger), can you parry two attacks (e.g. add a d4 to your AC) instead of one?

If you need to think about the answer before you make a decision, take your time. My PC is taking short sword and dueling dagger regardless of the answer.

The parrying property is only usable once per turn. So it's not once per each weapon.

I just had a laugh-out-loud moment, and had no one to share it with, so...

I just finished my character application (or at least post #2 of the application), in which I described my character as a standout in the town because of her singular appearance--she was literally given the surname of Moonlocks by the Otari locals because of her striking white hair.

Then I went to read the other completed apps... Both completed apps involve relatively petite females with striking white hair.

You've got to love unanticipated synchronicity when it happens. I had this thought of an entire party consisting of petite females with striking white hair.

And couldn't help but laugh.

Hey GM, i have a request.

I initially took the Lone Wanderer culture because it sort of fit with the style i was going with - lost, amnesiac with a bunch of weird skills she doesn't know where they are from - and getting the skills helped there too. It comes with a weapon (up to 100g, masterwork) which i thought was a fun tie-in with the amnesiac thing because its a fancy weapon but she has no idea where its from or what it is and i was aiming for the scimitar because it goes with the graceful, fluid sort of air-magic style i was going for.

However, Elementalists can only have simple weapons, and finding a simple and finesse weapon that fit isn't working. I don't think there is any other way to get proficinecies in a5e and it'd really help out to have a weapon option.

Is it possible that the character could be proficient in the heirloom weapon and only the heirloom weapon, or am i better looking at another culture that might fit? I went through and looked at the Cinder Chaser which sort of works, but the characters theme is more air than fire (though I'd plan on picking fire up as the second element that elementalists get so it could still fit)

Whats your opinions on the best course of action?