Out of Character Discussion/Character Creation Questions

How is the caravan going to be handled if you don't mind me asking, as far as abstracted vs covered in detail mechanically, or somewhere in between?

And somewhat related, will party members be needing to purchase their own supplies as far as food/water/etc goes, or will the caravan be covering that?

@TheGSE Apologies if any of these questions has been addressed.

• Can we use core traits or only spheres?
  •  What about feats?
  • Elephant in the Room feat tax rules?

I was wondering where we might go with a trusty steed. Would like something flavourful and happy to spend a big chunk of the starting cash on it - looking for something say biomechanical or perhaps crystaline.

Edited by Thramzorean (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Thramzorean said:

I was wondering where we might go with a trusty steed. Would like something flavourful and happy to spend a big chunk of the starting cash on it - looking for something say biomechanical or perhaps crystaline.

I was going to make a Cavalier with the Rancer archetype, but then I saw in your app you wanted something similar, so I trashed the idea. So go for it.

I even had a cool pic for the bike and rider lol.

4 minutes ago, Steel Warrior said:

I was going to make a Cavalier with the Rancer archetype, but then I saw in your app you wanted something similar, so I trashed the idea. So go for it.

I even had a cool pic for the bike and rider lol.

Heh, I saw your initial post but didn't really think of it as a clash tbf. If we're off on a caravan everybody will be mounted or driving one way or another. And I'm specifically not after a mechanical device like a motorbike, rather a metallic biomechanical horse or something more exotic but still quite animal-like that can be interacted with.

Edited by Thramzorean (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, Thramzorean said:

Heh, I saw your initial post but didn't really think of it as a clash tbf. If we're off on a caravan everybody will be mounted or driving one way or another. And I'm specifically not after a mechanical device like a motorbike, rather a metallic biomechanical horse or something more exotic but still quite animal-like that can be interacted with.

Just take the Conjuration sphere and give your horse the Constructed Type

Constructed (type)

Your companion is mechanical in its nature, whether it is a full construct or a modified biological creature. The companion gains the construct creature type. The companion gains moderate fortification and DR 2/adamantine +1 per 3 Hit Dice.

You may take this talent twice. If taken twice, your companion gains heavy fortification, DR 3/- +1 per 3 Hit Dice, and your companion no longer needs to breathe, granting it immunity to drowning, suffocation, or gas-based effects.

@TheGSE How do you feel about flight for this game? That is to say, with spheres there are numerous ways to have permanent flight at 5th level. Flight has a tendency to trivialize numerous travel obstacles and have a very heavy impact on combat so I figured I'd ask. The reality being that the entire party could be flying around at 5th level being something to consider, lol.

A few sources; Alteration sphere, Telekinesis sphere, Origins / Spheres races and a couple PF1 races, any class that gains Armorist enhancements, the Sage class, etc.

Oh, also, theoretically what level do you see this hitting and if we reach the goal are we done or will you be adding more / sandboxing the game for further play? Granted numerous games here never actually last that long, but I figured I'd ask, regardless. :D

If survival is to be a key part of this game, consider banning Sustenance (Creation) and Ascetic Control (Enhancement). (Sustenance especially can create food for multiple people just by spending 10 minutes cooking without expending any Spell Points)

Plant Package (Nature Sphere) can harvest food, but requires a spell point, and an additional talent (Create Nature) to grow food ex nihilo, same with Water Package.

I'm actually thinking about doing a Matagot, but I'm debating

A) how well known / obvious are Cat Lords? Should I bother trying to pretend to be anything but one?

B) should I go DespoilerUndead Controller with Necroturge tradition and have a fairly potent Undead minion as my 'Master'?
B-1) How frowned upon is Necromancy and how frequently do people spam Aura detection or would Corpse ManipulationYou can spend a spell point to preserve the remains of a dead creature for 1 day per caster level so that they do not decay. Doing so effectively extends the time limit on raising that creature from the dead. Days spent under the influence of this spell do not count against the time limit. Additionally, this makes transporting a slain (and thus decaying) comrade less unpleasant. This ability also works on severed body parts and the like.

You can reshape the dead body to look like another creature or even a specific person so long as you have firsthand knowledge of how that creature or person actually looks. You can make the corpse one size larger or smaller or change its apparent type, gender, or age. Attempt a Disguise check to determine how convincing the change is, though you may substitute your caster level for ranks in Disguise if desired.
 be sufficient?
B-2) If Necroturge is off the table, would Leadership for a single Cohort still be viable for my 'Master'?

C) what should my 'off' class be?
C-1) I'm tempted by Spellshot Engineer, but that's a lot of combat focus
C-2) If Necroturge isn't available but Leadership is, Ancestor Path and Living Weapon is kinda tempting, but also very combat oriented.

Edited by Valdimarian (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Taggerung559 said:

@Valdimarian what do you mean by "'off' class" I generally think of gestalt when I hear that phrase, but this isn't a gestalt campaign.

*rereads rules*

Son of a... I must have been tired when I read the rules and mixed it with another ad I was looking at that is gestalt.

Well that makes chargen a LOT simpler.