Out of Character Discussion/Character Creation Questions

Are custom traditions OK (with DM approval, of course)?

What about Advanced / Legendary / Exceptional Talents? (note that there would be only a few available at this level; but this can impact planning of a build too)

Edited by namo (see edit history)

19 hours ago, Thramzorean said:

Hit points? Traits/Drawbacks?

Spheres stuff: 3pp okay? Any specific no-goes like Oaths?

(no Vancian magic in a Dying Earth themed game - loving it 🤣)

Max HP all 3 levels, then 1/2 Max +1 thereafter (4 HP d6, 5 HP d8, 6HP d10, 7 HP d12), 2 Traits, or 3 with a drawback. 3pp spheres content allowed after GM approval. No Oaths/Aristeia.

(The irony being totally lost on me until just now lol)

7 hours ago, Lex Samreeth said:

Is catfolk okay?

Yes! Catfolk could conceivably be Violetlander para-humans created to serve the Cat Lords of the Violet City, or Steppelanders unrelated to the various magic felines, or something else entirely!

7 hours ago, namo said:

Are custom traditions OK (with DM approval, of course)?

What about Advanced / Legendary / Exceptional Talents?

Yes, and Yes! Custom Trade Traditions have blanket approval.

26 minutes ago, relekorlagunis said:

Would Android be an acceptable racial choice?

Androids are fine! You might be a human offshoot of the para-human Spectrum Satraps, the only surviving part of a polybodied Porcelain Prince, one of the Violent Mechanisms (colloquially known as Vomes,) or something completely different!

Also, I kind of meant for my advertisement to go live on the first of next month instead of end on that date, so forgive me while I fill out the setting details.

The core game concept I need the players to have their characters buy into is the goal of reaching the Black City, whatever your reason. In service of this goal, you have joined the caravan of the Cat Lord known as Jaya, who intends to be the first of his kind to open a trade route between the Violet City and the Black. Players can download a player's guide to the UVG here.  It's mostly mechanics you won't need to bother with, but does include factions of the Grasslands and a brief synopsis of the various points of the crawl.

1 hour ago, TheGSE said:

Max HP all 3 levels, then 1/2 Max +1 thereafter (4 HP d6, 5 HP d8, 6HP d10, 7 HP d12), 2 Traits, or 3 with a drawback. 3pp spheres content allowed after GM approval. No Oaths/Aristeia.

Request approval for Reaper then please TheGSE. And also Dhampir as a race.

(The irony being totally lost on me until just now lol)

When Spheres is so superior to achieve the desired flavour... 🥳

2 hours ago, Thramzorean said:

Request approval for Reaper then please TheGSE. And also Dhampir as a race.

Reaper is approved, as is Dhampir. Perhaps they are Redland Wine Vampires, or a result of faith in the Blue God, or a secret third thing!

The Collective Wraith would match pretty well (though not perfectly) with Porcelain Princes from the setting.

The defining features of the Porcelain Princes are their masks, obscuring their bodies’ original unique identities, and the fact that they are one personality and soul with multiple bodies.

Pretty close to your GETE concept, I'd say. :)

But of course the mechanics are something else, pretty complex.

Edited by namo (see edit history)

10 hours ago, TheGSE said:

The core game concept I need the players to have their characters buy into is the goal of reaching the Black City, whatever your reason. In service of this goal, you have joined the caravan of the Cat Lord known as Jaya, who intends to be the first of his kind to open a trade route between the Violet City and the Black. Players can download a player's guide to the UVG here.  It's mostly mechanics you won't need to bother with, but does include factions of the Grasslands and a brief synopsis of the various points of the crawl.

Do you have any more information on the setting or lore? I've read through the player guide and it is mostly mechanics (like you said), but I can't quite get a handle on things. People live around a circle sea, there is a long plain and then a black city. Not really enough for me to understand who we are and our place in things.

I tried the random prompts from the guide and got a Decapolitan ambassador (what is the decapolis?), driven by sheer industrial greed (does this place have an industrial economy? Factories, technology? What kind of resources?), carrying a translucent dinner plate-sized force disk (what is that?).

Also, how much of the game will reflect the player's guide? Should we expect a survival-focused exploration game? Or are you just using the setting for your own thing? Will we use the equipment listed in the guide?

Edited by OzzyKP (see edit history)