Eborne1

sensei.jpg.a5c22253d8df892a5e8711ae77be9532.jpg

Po

Human - Monk

Character

Name: Po

Race: Human

Class: Monk (Sensei - Ki Mystic - Monk of the Lotus)  

Roles: Support Buff/Debuff --> Debuff Striker -->  Face --> Scout   

Alignment: Lawful Good

Campaign Trait: "Friend of the Family"

Concept: Typically Non-Lethal Support Character, capitalizing on maneuvers, "Advice" (Bardic Performance), aid-other actions and a few nice debuff strikes.  Some Divination and Movement Capabilities via Psychic Sensitivity Feat.  Considering a dip into Cleric but plan to stick mostly with Monk.

Appearance

Po is tall and thin with dark hair and comely features.  He keeps his hair shone very short and usually shaves his face clean.  He dresses neatly in traditional monk's robes with wrapped sandals and wears a large hat for the sun. He carries a long walking staff that doubles as a quarterstaff, though he prefers to use it for walking than fighting.  He may often be seen with a flower on his lappel beside some hand-made beads.  He has a gentle and kindly face that blossoms easily into a pleasant smile.     

Quick Stats

Po  (Level 1) LG - Human - Monk (Sensei - Ki Mystic - Monk of the Lotus)
Init 4 Speed 30 HP 11/11
AC 17 Touch 17 Flat-footed 14 CMD 18 
Fort (4) Ref (4) Will (6) Base Attack Bonus (0)
Unarmed  +1(1d6+1)  Quarterstaff  +1(1d6+1)

Advice: (5 Rounds) (Inspire Courage +1) Touch of Serenity: 1/day DC15
Abilities:   Str 10, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 7
Conditions: None

Radiant Personality

Po has devoted his whole mind and being to the pursuit of peace and it is obvious to any who meet him.  Anyone can see that his actions, thoughts and words are measured and chosen with great care.  Because of his moment to moment practice of mindfulness, he comes off as stoic and even perhaps stern, but upon closer inspection one sees that this carefully honed practice of focus and meditation keeps his mind clear, bright and unbothered by negative emotions.  He delights both in solitude and in the company of others.  He is deeply compassionate toward the well-being of all things.  He prefers not to take life, except under the most dire of circumstances.            

Background

Every year, the monks at The Monastery of the Radiant Blossom discover abandoned children on their doorstep.  Not everyone shares the convictions and beliefs of the monks who abide there, but most recognize that they are a people, devoted to peace and compassion and that are likely see to the well-being of any children, who, for whatever reason their parents or guardians no longer may.  The monks, of course, only have so much space and accomodations and so they often take the younger of these children to other churches, monasteries or orphanages in the region.  But if a child can walk and speak, they are sometimes permitted to stay so long as they do not pose a distraction or a burden to the other monks.

And so it was with Po...  

One summer day, Po was found, sitting quietly and contentedly on the front steps of the monastery, all alone and with no note or any identifying possessions.  He could barely speak but a few words then, but it was obvious from the start that his mind was unusually sharp and attentive for so young a child and so the monks took him in. 

To this day, Po remembers his parents faces as if he saw them yesterday, but never showed any sign of blame or remorse for their decision to abandon him.  If someone asks him about it, he usually offers a simple allegory about the nature of leaves falling from a tree or the gradual turning of the seasons.  It is what it is and he sees no sense in worrying about it. 

Most monasteries in Golarion have their own unique form of martial practice, for they are often located in remote areas and it serves the monastery to have monks who can defend it, whether from wild animals, bandits or other invading groups who would mean them harm.  It is no different for the Monastery of the Radiant Blossom.  From an early age, Po practiced the unusual and unique martial techniques of his monastery, along with all the other monks, on a daily basis.  Their form of martial practice is more subtle and tranquil than most.  Their objective is first, to never allow negative emotions, fear or hatred to cloud their minds.  They lead with compassion and empathy at all times and only in the direst of circumstances do they resort to lethal force.  The form of the Radiant Blossom is subtle and without so much flourish as others.  The monks are likely to carry a long staff or other weapon, but often stand still and upright with it planted firmly in the ground, bending and sliding around offensive attacks with seemingly effortless grace.  As Po grew older, he became privy to the form's more secretive maneuvers, regarding the power of the voice, and even strikes so precise that they instill tranquility directly into the target's mind, abolishing their will to fight.  Po was naturally gifted in martial technique as he was in mindfulness and wisdom.          

Every week, a small group of monks from the monastery make the half day's journey to the town of Sandpoint to trade their wares for provisions.  Po joined in with this weekly caravan as soon as he was old enough to make the journey.  He loved the walk through the countryside and enjoyed seeing all the interesting and bizarre people in town.  Two of those people he met and took a great liking to, early on, were Madame Niska Mvashti and her daughter Koya Mvashti, both of whom were regularly awaiting upon the monk's arrival each week, ready to assist them in acquiring what they needed and eager to share wisdom with the elders.

As Po grew older, he quickly became recognized as a wise and capable teacher and, although yet young, he was afforded elder recognition by the other monks, in all but appearance.  Madame Mvashti took great notice and interest in the unique astuteness of Po's mind and the boundless compassion in his heart.  In Madame Mvashti's later years they would often sit together whenever he would visit Sandpoint, and talked about all manner of things for hours.  On more than one occasion Madame Mvashti would tell Po that he had more power than he knew and that she believed the subtle nature of his mind could see things beyond this world.  Po would often reply with a simple smile and bit of laughter, saying he had no desire to see anything beyond what he might trip over.     

As it is, Po's people believe in grounding themselves fully in the present moment, and yet Po couldn't help but find himself looking forward to visiting the Madame at the end of each week, whence he found great joy in her presence and relished in their conversations.  Madame Mvashti was as close a thing to a kindly grandmother as Po ever knew and when she passed, he mourned for her.  

On his last visit before her passing, Madame Mvashti had an unsually peaceful and resolute look about her and Po sensed that she was nearing the end of her life.  As they had little reservations between them, Po broached the subject and they spoke long about it.  The wise Madame even told Po exactly when her passing would happen and that she was excited to see what lay beyond the veil of this mortal life.  At that time, she asked Po for a favor, which was to watch over her daughter after she passed.  The Madame was aware that Koya had a penchant for travel and adventure and that she may find herself embarking in that fashion, despite her age, and told Po that she worried for her welfare.  But Po knew there was more to it than the words the Madame chose.  He knew she worried, also, about Po and she knew that he too yearned to see more of the world.  The wise Madame hoped the two of them might keep an eye on one another.  The Madame realized of course that Po saw through her coyness but said nothing more of it and Po had no need to inquire.

Po returned to Sandpoint two days later by himself, in the dark of night, and sat, quietly, in meditation at Madame Mvashti's bedside at the foretold hour of her passing.  As his keen ears heard the last faint breath pass from her body, a single tear fell from his cheek.  He kissed the Madame's still-warm hand, thanked her for her wonderful company in this life and redoubled his promise to watch over Koya to the best of his ability.  Then he quietly departed, knowing that he would miss his friend, but grateful that she was at rest after a long and well-lived life.                 

"If it is an enemy you seek, you need look no further than your own thoughts and actions."

Edited by Eborne1 (see edit history)
Name
Wealth
1d6*10 3

Interesting story. One question I have, where do you imagine the monastery to be in the hinterlands area?

As I mentioned to grohn, I realize it’s my fault for not clarifying, and as such I will not ask you to change it, I’ll just remind the end part in my head.

At the point of the start of the campaign, Niska has not yet passed away.

12 hours ago, iantruesilver said:

Interesting story. One question I have, where do you imagine the monastery to be in the hinterlands area?

As I mentioned to grohn, I realize it’s my fault for not clarifying, and as such I will not ask you to change it, I’ll just remind the end part in my head.

At the point of the start of the campaign, Niska has not yet passed away.

Re: Monastery Location - I've looked over some maps of the region and I suppose, given the narrative description of it being about a half days walk that I'll say its approximately 18 miles due East of Sandpoint, tucked quaintly into one small and sunny vale in the Hinterlands.  It sits beside a trickling creek, surrounded by copses of ash trees and a field of wildflowers.  It's hard to find without a guide.  

Re: Niska -  I'm guessing that's one of the aspects of your lore reconfiguration?  I can rewrite the narrative if you prefer.  It's not a problem.  That part of his story is pretty small.  Let me know. 

17 minutes ago, Eborne1 said:

Re: Monastery Location - I've looked over some maps of the region and I suppose, given the narrative description of it being about a half days walk that I'll say its approximately 18 miles due East of Sandpoint, tucked quaintly into one small and sunny vale in the Hinterlands.  It sits beside a trickling creek, surrounded by copses of ash trees and a field of wildflowers.  It's hard to find without a guide.  

If I’m understanding you correctly, this would be further east than the immediate vicinity of the extent of the Hinterlands map?

As for Niska, that’s your call. I’m fine with just rewinding the character story perspective appropriately to where things would’ve been in Rova 4707 (basically a week before the beginning of Rise of the Runelords), and fading the other part to black until we come across that bridge in game.

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

50 minutes ago, iantruesilver said:

If I’m understanding you correctly, this would be further east than the immediate vicinity of the extent of the Hinterlands map?

As for Niska, that’s your call. I’m fine with just rewinding the character story perspective appropriately to where things would’ve been in Rova 4707 (basically a week before the beginning of Rise of the Runelords), and fading the other part to black until we come across that bridge in game.

Re: Monastery - Yes, about 5-10 miles beyond the map you provided.  I can adjust that to being somewhere on the map if it's preferred.  I was just trying to stick to the half-day's journey narrative.  Below is an approximate path the monks would take to and from Sandpoint, through the Farmlands.   

531496651_Hinterlandsmapmonkpath.jpg.c3a07251c9fde653ea174e8fd1ee46be.jpg

Re: Niska: I'll just leave the narrative 'as is' for sake of the character development reference.  If her eventual passing is different than my narrative suggests, I'll adjust it at that time.  (I hope she dies peacefully in her bed...)  

Edited by Eborne1 (see edit history)

Corrected.  Thank you.  Po starts out slow but next level he will get WIS to Hit and CMB.  Making any non-STR Monk a decent party member is tricky, but I think Po will be a good all-around contributor.  Thanks again for looking.  Good luck with your choices.