Chapter 2: First Foray

Eric

It's mid-day, and the group is off on the road west. The mountains loom near, above the rising dirt path that leads up into the wilds in the direction of Stormshelm. The castle is not far off, only three miles from town, a healthy uphill hike past the local farmers' fields. The workers, out tending the crops, wave at you as you pass. It's a lovely, peaceful day, with the sky blue and unbroken by clouds.

The farm owner sits atop a wagon near the road, watching the work. He offers a faint smile, tipping his hat in your direction.

image.png.43d2d6ae4e6cc87532fc661aa2253990.png
Stoyan Barakovsen

"A man should honour his father, boy," Stoyan frowns at the young lad, "Though he should also be true to himself. A father teaches that to a son though it may break his heart. A man must go his own way."

"I am Stoyan, son of Barakov, well met, Golan. Before we leave to slay necromancers you should visit your family and make peace with them and tell us where to find your kin lest you are crushed by rocks." It was worth knowing that and the advice came from sensible dwarven tradition so was obviously good.

"You'll need equipping with weapons and armour. What can you use? The cost will come from your share of the reward, mind you. We're not a charity."

Show Stats

STRENGTH 14 +1 to hit and damage

INTELLIGENCE 9

WISDOM 11

DEXTERITY 7 -1 AC, and range attacks

CONSTITUTION 13 +1 hit point

CHARISMA 12

Hit Points: 7/7

Armour Class: 3 (Plate Mail (3), Shield (Bonus of 1), DEX (Penalty of 1))

THAC0: 1d20+1 Battle Axe 1d8+1, 1d20-1 Crossbow 1d6

The journey was idyllic to an aggravating extent. Clear sky, open road, all that nonsense. Give Thoridin a healthy dose of stonework and sculpture if you wanted him to be happy. But happiness was not what he sought on this escapade.

To the farm owner, he will greet him and say,

A fine morning to you. It looks like your agriculture endeavors are moving along smoothly. Is all well in these parts? There are been disquieting rumors as of late.

"Good day to you, master dwarf. No troubles in my lands, I can assure you. If these 'monsters' are real, they lurk under that blasted castle, like proper beasts should." He squints into the sun for a moment, looking for a glimpse of the parapets along the ridgeline. "Though, truth be told, I do lock up my oxen and cattle every night. Can't be too safe–never know when thieves might be about, let alone any of that other nonsense." Movement from the field catches his eye, and he stands up and raises a fist toward one of the farmhands. "Blast it, Cam, that's a hoe, not a scythe! I didn't take you for a nanny-goat; a half-day's pay if I catch that foolishness again!"

1455644225_TalaFrame.png.636f795a233328dcffb1e9d0dce47246.png
Tala Silvergrave

"New Hire?"  Tala nodded towards the farmhand, quirking an eyebrow.  It was idle conversation - mostly.  Although planting a field-hand along the road to the keep would offer any bandit or acoylte of Bargle both early warning and insight on any promising trade worth the raiding.

And sometimes a fieldhand waffling about with a hoe pretending to cleave down wheat as tho it were sycthed grass or so many orcs was just an idiot.

"Blessing of Freya upon you and yours, the hoe-man and his half-pay included.  I don't suppose we're the only ones you've seen on the road or abroad today, perchance?" 

spacer.png
Dejrik Garraksen

Dejrik follows the farmer's gaze, trying to find what he was looking for in the sunlight.

"Monsters too, then?" he mutters under his breath. His eyes dart left and right without focusing on anything as he mouths something incomprehensible.

His trance is only broken upon hearing Tala mention the possibility of others on the road, reminding him of dangers closer to here, closer to now.

image.jpeg.8b357043f0583d12f63d1aaa01b45231.jpeg
Golon

Golon noticed the farmer as they approached and tried to subtly work his way towards the back of the group.  He turns his back to the farmer and starts looking through his backpack.   He recognized the farmer and was hoping the farmer didn't recognize him back.  Trying not to be obvious about his attempt at hiding his face Golon shuffles through his things before taking a drink from his waterskin and returning it to his pack.   He stretched his back taking in the group's dialogue with the farmer but keeping silent himself. 

spacer.png
Stoyan Barakovsen

Stoyan prods Golan with a meaty and calloused finger, "What are you doing lad? I'll not have you skulking from your duty. Get out in front and lead the way."

Show Stats

STRENGTH 14 +1 to hit and damage

INTELLIGENCE 9

WISDOM 11

DEXTERITY 7 -1 AC, and range attacks

CONSTITUTION 13 +1 hit point

CHARISMA 12

Hit Points: 7/7

Armour Class: 3 (Plate Mail (3), Shield (Bonus of 1), DEX (Penalty of 1))

THAC0: 1d20+1 Battle Axe 1d8+1, 1d20-1 Crossbow 1d6

Edited by hoverfrog (see edit history)

spacer.png
Ashera Grequinal

The day was young and the sky was blue, a slight breeze blowing through Ashera's hair as she walked with her companions on their way to try and find wherever this rogue mage was hiding out.  Her spirits were high and her mind focused on the task, but she didn't lose sight of the things they saw along the road; anything could have been a clue or a sign to point them in the right direction.  And so she slowed her gait when they met the farmer, and she met his smile with one of her own.  Had she a cap atop her head it would have been tipped, but a slight nod was all that she had, and that would have to do.

She waited in silent contemplation as the others struck up a conversation with the farmer; she doubted that anything would come of this speaking, but she held her tongue and waited to see what exactly would happen here.

image.png.275a20ebbce76510153dad737623596a.png

Shifting the weight of the suit of chain on her shoulders, and trying to bear up gamely under it, Astrid listens to the negotiations of hiring on and offers an encouraging smile.  "Just a little debt to go into first before all the riches you can imagine, and maybe even more!"  She pats her bag of bullets with a confidence that she's trying to convince herself of, and wonders just what lies under those ruins.

Thoridin chuckled at the farmer's response about locking up livestock.

Fair enough, that. Even the safest places in the world have those slippery enough to hustle a few cattle, and those unethical enough to look the other way when they see a curious brand on their hide. Well, I must offer a farewell. The road beckons. Keep an eye on that lad, har!

After bidding the farmer good day, you continue toward the west. The castle walls loom larger, and you can see even from a distance that there are many small holes; even a few of the larger stone blocks have tumbled down, laying scattered around the perimeter of the ruins.

A gateway in the center of the front wall stands open, and the massive outer doors now lay rotting near the path. A 10' wide gaping hole can be seen in the wall some ways to the left of the entryway, which could be another way in. The rest of the wall is intact enough that there are no obvious paths through to the courtyard.

The walls no longer sport any banners or paraments, the only decorations being the mold and lichen that come with decay. The walls are built right up to the sheer cliff face of the mountain behind. 

image.jpeg.8b357043f0583d12f63d1aaa01b45231.jpeg
Golon

"Well made it here safe and sound.  Delivered as promised." Golon flashes a smile at the cleric.   "Now how to enter and do your murdering, I'll let you decide the best path but my own opinion is to be wary as both may be trapped but I'd suggest that hole in the wall over there.  It's a little more discreet than the front door.  But perhaps we can do some searching of the ground nearby for footprints.   This necromancer's zombies and such don't need food but any living servants and himself will need to eat and likely leave from time to time."  

Thoridin thoughtfully stroked his beard. As a dwarf, I have some knowledge of masonry. I will take a look at the two entrances to see if they are unstable or rigged with traps. Those are the two questions of course - will the structure collapse on us or will deadly implements emerge from it to wreck bodily havoc on our poor company. By instinct I do prefer the hole in the wall, but my guess is if the fugitive trapped one entrance, he probably trapped them all.

And so, the Dwarf will gaze into the main entrance first and then the side "door" for unstable construction and then traps. Just looking from outside the threshold, not poking anything or going inside just yet.

Just to be safe, we ought to spread out - anyone with medical talent stay in the back out of harms way - and probe ahead with a pole, just to be safe. A neat but louder trick is to roll a log through the dungeon, setting off pressure plates as it goes.