Evening at the restaurant

hakootoko

spacer.png"I guess the closest that comes to mind is how long it took me to realize that girls don't fix machines," Amuthini says while gauging the other women's expressions. "At least where I grew up. And rather than stop, I chose a society with a different normal."

"My father did well with his little repair shop, and decided to send my older brother and I to an English-only Christian pre-school to get a leg up on the international language. My memories of those idyllic days were watching my mother cooking and my father repairing after I came back from school and switched out of 'English mode'. After father died we fell on hard times, and my brother and I each did what few jobs we knew how to do in the repair shop. Because we were already established in the English school they kept us on after we lost the ability to pay, until we graduated primary school at age 14. My family couldn't afford any of the girly luxuries for me, like dolls and fancy clothes, so I didn't really associate with the local girls. And all of us at the English school absorbed European notions of equality from our textbooks as if it was totally normal. Public high school was quite a shock, and I quickly hid the fact that I could fix things, and while a girl studying math and physics was abnormal it wasn't quite as taboo. After my first year at university, I jumped at the chance at an internship on what was to become Terminus, both because it wouldn't cost my family anything and because it would allow me to do what I wanted."

"Wow. That sounded really negative. More than I meant. I had a great childhood and learned widely. You don't need to be rich to be happy." 

Remy Concorde

Aspects: Lab-Grown Ace, "That's the World's First Clone Citizen!", Surprisingly Savvy Bookworm, Friendly Rivalry Motivates Self-Improvement.

Skills

+4: Mecha Piloting.
+3: Rapport, Lore.
+2: Empathy, Athletics, Shoot.
+1: Engineering, Will, Resources, Computers.

Stunts: Mecha Gunner, Advanced ACM Mastery, I've Read About That.

Pools:

Stress: Physical [ ] [ ], Mental [ ] [ ] [ ].

Consequences: [ ] [ ] [ ]

FP: 3/3.

Remy Concorde

remy_casual_smug1_mini_square.png.e5edcf3f238f95a2a96831fff2f6d816.pngRemy was about to reply when Amuthini snatched the initiative, so she had to wait until the latter finished speaking. At which point she did address the newcomer's challenge.

"Can't speak for anyone but myself accepting retroactive addition of expectations. I do hope the additional requirement won't lead to everyone asking less interesting questions due to worrying about having to answer them. But as for me, I can answer mine. Not sure if it would count as a moment of shared vulnerability in your book, but I suppose it would count for something.

After receiving a series of ambiguous signals while in close proximity, in an isolated and dimly-lit environment, I had this idea of demystifying the situation by way of pouncing at the sender and seeing what happens. Of course, that would've been a gamble of questionable wisdom, as a faulty assessment would've led to some troublesome consequences, ranging from mildly inconvenient explaining to something worse."

spacer.pngAmelia would tilt her head as she realized that Remy was right in her statements, Amelia was to keen on being judged for her inner desires but luckly Neli would quickly change the subject which allowed Amelia another chance at interaction. 

" I found myself continuing to eat SMRE (space MREs) as if I was stuck on the shuttle still with my parents. I still find it conforting, but being on earth showed me that people did not eat MRE is they didnt have to. It made quite a few people turn their heads." 

Character Stats

No.17 AkA Vicel Luc:
Aspects: Deniable Operative, Living Weapon, [Redacted] Training.
Skills: Mecha Weaponry +4, Mecha Pilot/Stealth +3, Investigation/Athleics/Burglary +2, Resources/Contacts/Will+1,
⌬STRESS⌬
Physical Stress: OOO
Mental Stress: OOO
⌬STUNTS⌬ X3
Blade Dervish:
If you share a sector with more than one enemy, No. 17 gains a +2 to mecha weaponry attacks.
Wraith of the Battlefield:
You get a free additional invocation on successful stealth checks. 
Blitzkrieg:
Subject able to move, attack, and then abandon his current opponent to intercept another.

Mecha Stats

Lie Vante(Hassassin Series Mk II)

⌬STRESS⌬

⌬Systems⌬ (5 CP Worth)
Camouflage:
Able to use Stealth to hide.
Flight:
Able to fly. 
Greytalon D.I.R.K.:
Charger(+2 WV after moving)
Penetrating(Conditional Free Invoke)
Weapon Aspect: Gaebulg(Free Invoke)

Action Mechanics

Totally normal here.

No.17

VicelLuc.jpg.f8710d2ae70b18a19f74327465885ec9.jpg

No.17 raised a wry eyebrow at Remy's rather familiar description of what she said she went through. "Given what sounds like quite a significant amount of risk, I applaud you on managing that situation quite neatly and turning a net profit from your actions, Ms Concorde." No.17 said, before leaning back and taking a very keen interest in his teacup, before sipping lightly at the fragrant liquid. "It's been a bit of a......Hobby, I suppose, for me to assign......Values to others. It's an interesting act, to observe how one's importance and relative value fluctuate upon one's circumstances, what their current condition entails, and what others believe. It allows for the expedited analysis of various situations, to simply assign values to the targets in question."

"When I did inform an outsider of my predicted value, however, they appeared oddly unsettled, and even more so when I explained what their value entailed. They never stuck around long enough for me to be able to break down their value for them. I suppose there's a certain distaste from humans to have their lives, their efforts, broken down and reconstituted into a singular numerical sum, although I think it's personally refreshing. Everyone allots imagined values to those they meet, whether they know it or not. Favoritism, antagonism, respect and contempt. All are merely expressions based upon that value."

G_Argo_Gulskii.JPG.jpg.94d4f1a213be8cb64199b9eae7941058.jpgGrant took another bit of meat off the burner. "Don't know if it counts or not, cause I know a few other pilots that do it, but I talk to my mecha. I don't mean the occasional remark in the heat of the moment like 'hold together, you bucket of bolts' but actually talk to it like it's an old friend. Berserker and me been through a lot; Seattle, Brazil,...London."

His frowned slightly, "Like I said, know a few pilots that do it but most don't, so yeah, definitely get some really weird looks from the majority of people. Had a visit or two from some Docs when the brass overheard me, thought I was starting to have some issues owing to my...complicated service record. Nothing came of it but i definitely cut way back on it."

He took a drink, "Think I was the last one for Neli's question so who's got the next one?"

Remy Concorde

Aspects: Lab-Grown Ace, "That's the World's First Clone Citizen!", Surprisingly Savvy Bookworm, Friendly Rivalry Motivates Self-Improvement.

Skills

Pools:

Remy Concorde

remy_casual_ok_mini_square.png.d7ddfbbbaa49c52a77af99214d70d806.pngRemy glanced at Luc without turning her head.

"Of course, I wouldn't consider the risk of making an overly hast step 'significant' in a way that compares to the actual risks we are meant to face in our professional capacity. And there has been no 'profit' within the scope of the mystery itself so far, of course. Unless you imply the appreciation of the process as such, which is, itself, a mixed blessing.

There is certainly some amusement in the social game of two-way plausible deniability, in deciphering the unspoken element of a message, in reading between the lines, in the assessment of what next steps are likely on which side, and what are the likely reactions to them. But there is also the matter of potential loss of interest if the matter remains unresolved too long without even budging. For now, I'm looking forward to seeing how this will unfold further."

She then picked up a glass and sipped a bit of water, being in no hurry to put it back down.

Character Stats

No.17 AkA Vicel Luc:
Skills: Mecha Weaponry +4, Mecha Pilot/Stealth +3, Investigation/Athleics/Burglary +2, Resources/Contacts/Will+1,
⌬STRESS⌬
⌬STUNTS⌬ X3
Blade Dervish:
If you share a sector with more than one enemy, No. 17 gains a +2 to mecha weaponry attacks.
Blitzkrieg:
Subject able to move, attack, and then abandon his current opponent to intercept another.

Mecha Stats

⌬STRESS⌬

⌬Systems⌬ (5 CP Worth)
Camouflage:
Flight:
Able to fly. 
Greytalon D.I.R.K.:

Action Mechanics

Totally normal here.

No.17

Chopsticks applied with a light touch shuttled another bit of beef off of the grill and into No.17's mouth as he chewed thoughtfully, glancing over towards Remy with a thoughtful hum. "It is said that to enjoy the process can be viewed as fortuitous, for joy is not something easily found. If we were to compare theoretical risk from an overtly hasty query to the Kaiju, then indeed it would pale in comparison. However, it could be that there is simply no latent message or meaning for you to sift from one's words, and thus your interest may, unfortunately, go on as lost. Yet, conversely, perhaps that is a red herring meant to throw you off of a certain trail. Such delicate affairs are tricky like that, are they not?" 

No.17 frowned thoughtfully as it seemed like everyone had asked a question but himself and Grant. He inspected the wood paneling before him for several seconds, wondering what to propose, before pulling out what appeared to be a tiny notebook. He flipped through the contents before the briefest of smiles seemed to flicker across his face. 
"Since we've only seen questions thus far, as befits the name of the past-time, I would like to propose a dare. Using whatever ingredients available to any of us without leaving this table that are not either poisonous, inedible, or completely inimical to human life, we choose a partner and assemble a lettuce wrap for them, which they would be required to consume. Of course, they shall be retaliating in the same manner. For Ms. Neli, seeing as she is the newest, I would propose to allow her to choose any of us to be required to consume the lettuce wrap she creates, although she then may elect not to consume the retaliatory wrap in kind." 

"I would like to choose Ms. Concorde as my partner." 
No.17 said innocently, as an afterthought.

Remy Concorde

Skills

Pools:

Remy Concorde

remy_casual_ok_mini_square.png.d7ddfbbbaa49c52a77af99214d70d806.png"So you would," Remy commented, putting the glass down. "I will admit I'm puzzled by your preference for assigning a minor task instead of asking a question, but at this point may as well play along for now."

Remy thought for a few seconds, then began assembling a wrap on an empty plate, mimicking Neli's prior choices of ingredients, in parallel continuing the discussion:

"The process of dealing with the trickiness and delicacy of these things indeed has some amusement value as a novelty, when contrasted against the more sincere alternatives. In some ways, this reminds me of the iterated prisoner's dilemma, albeit with a more spectral set of options.

Which includes the possibility of the outcome being 'everyone loses' under some combinations. Desire to avoid leaning too hard into option A out of concern that maybe the other agent is leaning towards option B is a valid one, but can lead to excess of such deniability-reinforcing red herrings.

To the point of outright convincing the other agent to fully pick option B - either to avoid a mismatch, or because of conclusion that the ratio of effort to pay-off is too underwhelming even in case of an eventual match of choices, or rather," she turned to Luc and pushed the ready plate towards him, "because it becomes non-competitive compared to the aforementioned more forthright alternatives."

spacer.png"Perhaps you're overthinking it, Remy," Amuthini breaks in after looking back and forth between the two. "I thought it was a trust-building exercise, like falling backwards and having someone catch you. But you'd know better than I. Word is you and Luc have been seeing a lot of each other out-of-hours," she adds with a knowing grin.

She waits to see if Luc takes the food Remy offers him before making one of her own.

Character Stats

No.17 AkA Vicel Luc:
⌬STRESS⌬
⌬STUNTS⌬ X3
Blade Dervish:
Blitzkrieg:

Mecha Stats

⌬STRESS⌬

⌬Systems⌬ (5 CP Worth)
Camouflage:
Flight:
Able to fly. 
Greytalon D.I.R.K.:

Action Mechanics

Totally normal here.

No.17

A thoughtful silence reigned in response to Remy's speculations, No.17 watching her compose what appeared to be a rather normal lettuce wrap. Then again, he supposed, there wasn't much in the way of ingredient variety if they could not leave the table. He pondered his own empty lettuce wrap before deciding to add in a few strips of beef, some kimchi, and also slipping in a certain thin cylindrical item while he rolled it up with a bit of sleight-of-hand. "Perhaps I simply wanted to break up the tedium a bit, or experience one's culinary skills...Or creative deviousness, if one decides to add unorthodox ingredients into their wraps, I suppose."

He placed the lettuce wrap onto a plate and pushed it towards Remy as well, before taking the one she offered and inspecting it. "Truly, such affairs are rather delicate, are they not? In the interest of being a hint less circumspect, I would possit forth a suggestion, if you would be amenable, Ms. Concorde. Perhaps, to expose a mystery, all one must do is ask in the most direct form they know of. After all, there are surprisingly few effective answers one may make towards a direct query. An equally direct lie, an admission of not knowing......Or, the truth." 

No.17 paused to blink in surprise at Amuthini's comment, one thin eyebrow slipping upwards. "We have simply been engaging in mutual training in order to maintain optimal conditions for the next deployment." He said, before then promptly wondering why he'd felt the need to respond to what was, technically by all means, an innocuous comment. As he thought, he took a first careful bite of the lettuce wrap, chewing slowly. 

Remy Concorde

Skills

Pools:

Remy Concorde

remy_casual_smug2_mini_square.png.be7dc88518b2afc131cb5abb3845d799.pngRemy shrugged at Amuthini. "Yeah, I heard that some old-school organisations may be suspicious of that, but I checked the Omdest regulations, and while they do seem to contain some words of disapproval on the matter, those of the same or adjacent rank in the same vertical chain of command are explicitly exempt."

Remy then turned to Luc, put her elbows on the table, and shifted her weight forward. "Very well, if you're sure this is the course of action you consider preferable.

Back when, during the conclusion of one of the training sessions, you leaned closely and admitted what you referred to as inappropriate interest, asked about logical reasons to feel, said some other things afterwards, that gave me certain impressions about where we stand and where we're heading. 

And as I mentioned, the two-steps-forward-one-step-back game of plausible deniability can be of some amusement as a novelty. But instead of that this is looking more like a weeks-long process of step-forward-step-back. And, well, if the same play repeats on the board several times in a row, that is often an indication that no interesting play will come out of it, and that interests are best redirected elsewhere. And the red herrings you mentioned can contribute to the latter outcome if not used sparingly.

So, since you're asking for directness, I'll ask for directness in return: What's your deal with the  aforementioned interest? Where do we stand, and where are we heading?"

Remy leaned back in the chair, and slowly prepared to take and consume the offered wrap, while not letting her eyes off 17.

Character Stats

No.17 AkA Vicel Luc:
⌬STRESS⌬
⌬STUNTS⌬ X3
Blade Dervish:
Blitzkrieg:

Mecha Stats

⌬STRESS⌬

⌬Systems⌬ (5 CP Worth)
Camouflage:
Flight:
Able to fly. 
Greytalon D.I.R.K.:

Action Mechanics

Totally normal here.

No.17

No.17 paused mid-chew to nearly choke on his wrap as Remy replied to Amuthini's grin with a rather direct summation regarding the protocols of fraternization. Granted, No.17 had read up on the SID's own procedural protocols as well as the OMDST's policy discreetly some time ago but it definitely threw him for a loop, especially when she did take his advice and ask him, right away. He chewed slowly, digesting her query along with his wrap, before swallowing and replying with just the faintest hint of rueful amusement tinging his voice. "I must admit, Ms. Concorde, that when I suggested a direct query, I had envisioned it done sometime later, perhaps conveniently in private. But it would be remiss of me not to provide any form of answer. Regarding the interest....Well, it is that. You and I are alike in many ways, especially with certain parallels in background, and yet entirely different in other respects. I've never felt such interest in anyone else before, so I'm afraid I can't really explain in detail besides confirming it."

"As for where we stand and where we are heading, it would be boorish of me to assume our relationship without any feedback from you. One cannot decide for two. However, I think we can both agree to a truce as the veiled messages lie and speak candidly from time to time. Currently, as we are, I would say that as Ms. Amuthini suggests, we are two components of the same unit who frequently engage in mutual training. Now then, as for where we are headed...." 
No.17 paused to take another bite of the wrap. 

"As you're probably quite aware, I am not exactly what one may call emotional. Therefore, it would be the worst blunder one could possibly make to rush things to any degree, even if that would entail bilking Ms. Amuthini's expectations of what we're doing together alone." No.17 said with a wry glance over towards Amuthini, before turning his focus back to Remy. "Therefore, I would like for us to be the logical next step in most relationships when one side desires to know the other better. I would like for us to be.....Friends, as one says. Would you be amenable, Ms. Remy?" 

Remy Concorde

Skills

Pools:

Remy Concorde

remy_casual_ok_mini_square.png.d7ddfbbbaa49c52a77af99214d70d806.pngRemy sighed. "Would I be? I don't know, Mr. Sid, that depends. I'll elaborate in detail. 

You see, I didn't have much doubt that we could, in spite, or rather thanks to our philosophical disputes, be headed towards friendship. The question is what set of friends would you be a part of: type A, which needs to take a step into the shower before saying goodbye, or type B, which doesn't.

And usually it's not a difficult question. But you managed to make it difficult. Because back in the holographic room, you raised, in quick succession, a series of flags both verbal and nonverbal from column A, at which point I asked a nearly direct question in order to confirm or deny your interest. At which point you could either take the final step forward and be marked type A, or clarify that it's a misunderstanding and put yourself neatly into set B."

Remy glanced at the wrap again but didn't touch it.

"But you made a noncommittal reaction, and from then on got into the habit of waving flags from column A and column B in approximately equal proportions. Culminating in today's cryptic but intellectually stimulating exchange in which you persuaded me to be even more direct in the hopes of disambiguation. And I took the bait and accepted the risk of looking silly in front of the team saying all this. But then you bilked my expectation and gave a rather uninformative answer, again. Though I am still open to the possibility that it was not entirely intentional.

I'll reiterate that while there is some amusement in the game of cryptic social signals, it is getting stale. A week is already a long time between signalling interest and following up on it. You are past that. It's time to make a choice. Because I'm disinclined to keep my schedule open in the hours immediately after our visits to the killhouse just because of a hypothetical possibility.

So think carefully of the consequences of continuing to maintain ambiguity."

She put one elbow onto the table, and supported her head with one hand, staring coolly at Luc.

Character Stats

No.17 AkA Vicel Luc:
⌬STRESS⌬
⌬STUNTS⌬ X3
Blade Dervish:
Blitzkrieg:

Mecha Stats

⌬STRESS⌬

⌬Systems⌬ (5 CP Worth)
Camouflage:
Flight:
Able to fly. 
Greytalon D.I.R.K.:

Action Mechanics

Totally normal here.

No.17

VicelLuc.jpg.f8710d2ae70b18a19f74327465885ec9.jpgThe silence seemed deafening to No.17 as he listened to Remy push once more for him to provide a very clear answer. Internally he was searching for some manual, some protocol that dealt with this but alas, the Academi had been annoyingly sparse in the innumerable complexities of the human heart. He let out a soft sigh, feeling the faint bite of his companions on the inside of his sleeve. It seemed that they too, were more than a little bit exasperated with his hemming and hawwing. ".....I apologize for my prior lacking response, Ms Concorde. I have no excuse. I did not intend for my reaction to sound at all noncommital. I shall provide a requisite answer."

He wrote something briefly in one of his notebooks, before slipping the paper out and passing it over to her with a light bit of legerdemain, folded neatly in half. No.17 wondered whether he should have done it differently, or whether he should have asked her opinion first, or if he should have consulted with that singular existence first...Before pausing to wonder to himself why exactly he was wondering so much. It was a unique feeling of trepidation, he decided, sitting there and watching Remy carefully out of the corner of his eye to gauge her reaction, and whether he should be disappearing or not. A rather uncharacteristically mischievous gleam entered into his eye, and he coughed politely.

"Just to ensure that there are no more misunderstandings in my intent, because the note might appear a hint ambiguous, I have the opinion that you are a remarkable woman, and have taken up an inordinate amount of my waking moments throughout our sessions in my thoughts. Even while taking into account our prior discussion about feelings...I do think that what I experience regarding you alone, Remy, is adequate proof of the benefits of emotion."

Then No.17 promptly died inside, most probably. 

The note simply read: 
I would select A, if you would have me, Remy. -V. L. 

Edited by Lcythas (see edit history)

Remy Concorde

Skills

Pools:

Remy Concorde

remy_casual_ooh3_mini_square.png.9b0b8a8371fdca4f2b4308a695a16385.pngRemy picked the note, looked inside, folded the paper once more, and set up straight.

"Thank you for your answer, 17. I am looking forward to our friendship. I apologise for my prior pushiness. I would like to later discuss how the whole disambiguation could've been performed more efficiently and in a more timely manner, and perhaps even without needing such a public situation to act as a lever of resolution, but I suspect that the circumstances are sufficiently unique that such retrospective would be of a purely academic interest, with no external utility.

Now that the issue is settled for the immediate future, I believe there is one more question remains to be asked by one participant to complete the circle," she glanced at Rockwell for a fraction of a second. "One which can be asked and answered while we perform the dares."

Remy finally bit the wrap, tilted her head, and looked at 17 again. "Oh. That's . . . misguided, but sweet. Thank you."