Session 1: The Staff

GM Saint

"The Skorn does not speak to captors. The Skorn does not tell his story." His reply isn't helpful and he simply begins repeating it as a mantra, as if he were trained to do exactly this if ever captured. "The Skorn does not lose his staff. The staff is his life."

download.jpg.778fc9a57508f3c4a0244e47901983ae.jpg

Name Souris Garou | Class Druid 3 | AC: 16 | HP: 27/27 | Prof: +3 | PP: 16 

SavesStr -1 / Dex +2 / Con +1 / Int +3 / Wis +6 / Cha +0  |  AttacksShillelagh | +6 | 1d8+4 Bludgeoning   CantripsGuidance1, Shillelagh  |  Magic Items2x Healing Potions | Wildshape/Wild companion: ▣ ▣

Spell DC: 14 | Spell Attack: +6 | Level 1Entangle, Faerie Fire, Goodberry, Ice Knife ▣ ▣ ▣ | Level 2Detect Thoughts (1/day per feat).
Barkskin, Moonbeam, Pass without Trace
 ▣ | 
 LuckWhen failing any D20 check, you may spend one luck die to reroll the result. This decision is made after the roll but before the results are known. You must declare the use of this dice in your post. These die refresh during a long rest.  ▣ ▣

Souris could hear the mantra chanting from their captive as she sat on the counter.  It was frustrating, that he simply wouldn't share information with them, but she wasn't particularly surprised.  He was a warrior, to him they were enemies, why would he share anything.  This whole scene was rather abhorrent to her, she was a healer by trade, so this really wasn’t what she signed up for, but they needed the information this guy had in order to save lives.  

~Murdain, I don’t think he can understand us so can you push back with just repeating a counter mantra of the staff and the monster, and things like that.  I’m going to try to see if I can dive a little deeper.~

The druid then focused all of her attention on the captive, feeling her way around his responses to Murdain for strong emotions and anything that is looming large within his mind, like why the staff is so important and his knowledge of the monster.

Mechanics

Detect thoughts to penetrate his mind, Wisdom save DC14

Souris. This man's only pressing concern is getting his staff back and getting back to the others. 'The Skorn' seems to be plural, not singular, but you get no real idea of how many of them there are or where they might be or if he even still knows. His mind is largely empty though, as if any sense of free thought or personality was taken from him a long time ago.

image.png.3d378821b1ebc03be46be4efa85efbdf.png

SavesStr -1 / Dex +2 / Con +1 / Int +3 / Wis +6 / Cha +0  |  AttacksShillelagh | +6 | 1d8+4 Bludgeoning   CantripsGuidance1, Shillelagh  |  Magic Items2x Healing Potions | Wildshape/Wild companion: ▣ ▣

Spell DC: 14 | Spell Attack: +6 | Level 1Entangle, Faerie Fire, Goodberry, Ice Knife ▣ ▣ ▣ | Level 2Detect Thoughts (1/day per feat).
 ▣ | 
 LuckWhen failing any D20 check, you may spend one luck die to reroll the result. This decision is made after the roll but before the results are known. You must declare the use of this dice in your post. These die refresh during a long rest.  ▣ ▣

The young druid shifted uneasily, not having her mask to hide her face was uncomfortable, particularly in this sort of situation.  She'd gotten way too used to relying on it, as she knew she was not very good at hiding her thoughts or feelings.  Her dark eyes began to water a little as to her the wild man seemed barely a person, she didn't know whether she was more afraid of the shadow monster or whatever these Skorn were.  Hopping down from the counter walked over and spoke as casually as she could to everyone.

"The Skorn he keeps referring to are a group I think... this man, if you can call him that, seems like he's barely a person.  His mind is largely empty, like any sense of free thought or personality have been removed somehow.  I don't know if it would be by conditioning or ritual... He wants to return to them I think, so maybe we tell him that they're gone?  Maybe we tell him that the Shadow took them and we're going to hunt it, and ask if he wants to help?

...but this guy may be like a be in a bottle, no matter what we do, if we untie him, he's just going to attack everyone and run.  Which worries me, there could be four Skorn or four thousand.  I don't want to have him running off to them while I'm sleeping."

Mechanics

image.jpeg.d1261904b8e88d5006bb134ece4bfd13.jpeg

Name Aaliyah | Class Wizard | Level: 3 | AC: 14| HP: 22/27 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 13 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 18
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Hex Curse: [o] Attacks: Leaf | +6 | 1d10+4 slash/pierce - Vine | +7 | 1d8+7 piercing
Cantrips: Eldritch Blast, Green-Flame Blade18

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o][o]

Spell DC: 14 | Spell Attack +6  | Spells (lvl2) [o][x]

Spells Known (4): Hex, Armor of Agathys, Shield, Mirror Image, Shatter

"Grabbing a tiger by his tail is very easy but you'll find letting him go much more challenging," Aaliyah recited. Her mother had told her that when cautioning that many animals, despite her powers, are best left to their own lives. "But a bee... if you set the bee free and just run away, it won't chase you. It'll try to go back to it's hive. Really it'll just die unless you were so nice as to take it back where you found it and it can find its way home.

If we just drag him back out into the woods and leave him his staff, he has to choose between coming to find us - for revenge? I guess - or just going somewhere else."

Screenshot-20221031-063129.png.e20281c2da35b0e6c02db914a986139f.pngName: Ved Kith (AKA Kirit)  |  Class: Fighter 3 

AC: 16+1 | HP: 36/36 | Hit dice: 3/3d10

SR Abilities: SDice: 4/4d8; DC 13 | Action surge 1/1 | 2nd Wind 1/1

LR Abilities: Luck 1/2

Attacks Rapier +5 1d8+3
Light crossbow 80/320 +5 1d6+3
 | Saves Str +3 | Dex +3 | Con +4 | Wis +1 | Int -1 | Cha +0; | Maneuvers Precision attack55 | Menacing attack | Trip attack | DC 13;

Ved is made visibly nervous by this revelation. "Urgh, is nothing just a straight fight these days? Damn magic. Could it have been the creature that did this to him? Emptied him out?"

image.png.3d378821b1ebc03be46be4efa85efbdf.png

▣ | 

Souris furrowed her brow, trying to consider what Aaliyah was getting at.  It made sense, but... "But we don't know if we're walking right into a nest of these guys.  I'm not really liking the idea of wandering out into these woods at night to free a bee." She shrugged though, showing that it was fairly non-committal on her stance.  "As far as I can tell Ved, he's been like this for ages.  As a wild guess I'm wondering if his attachment to this staff is basically that part of his soul was used to infuse it with some sort of power?... he tracked it right to Spectre, I doubt he was following us the whole time, so he can probably feel where it is.

I'm still thinking that finding out his reaction if we say the Skorn are gone.  Watch his eyes to see if he looks towards a certain direction with any certainty.  Because if he can feel where they are, then the reverse could be true and then we'd need to get him out of town.  You mentioned a brand?..."  There was less concern for her about treating this man as a human at this point, so she pulled back the fur cowl and looked for the brand.  This whole thing sounded horrible, a group of mindless warriors with magical weapons that were likely led by someone or something.  It wouldn't surprise her if someone she knew was involved in something like this, or whether just knowing about it or supporting them. "Ductus..."

Mechanics

Rolling for information on the brand or his condition at all.

Name
Arcana or Nature
1d20+3 13
plus guidance
1d4 1

Name Aaliyah | Class Wizard | Level: 3 | AC: 14| HP: 22/27 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 13 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 18
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Hex Curse: [o] Attacks: Leaf | +6 | 1d10+4 slash/pierce - Vine | +7 | 1d8+7 piercing

"I don't understand why we don't just set him free. We can wait until morning to do it and then go dump him in the woods. Whatever he was before, coming to the Vale cleaned that slate, right? So give him his staff and let him go and if he chooses to fight... he's practically dead already anyway."

Murdain.png.7541035011445ee62ce0a68e221882f9.pngMurdain Shattershield

Class: Rogue(Soulknife) 3 | AC: 14+1 | HP: 25+6/30 | Prof: +2 | Init: +3 | PP: 14 | Speed: 30ft+10ft 

SavesStrength: +0
Dexterity: +5
Constitution: +2
Intelligence: +1
Wisdom: +2
Charisma: -1
 | Special AbilitiesDarkvision 60ft
Sneak Attack: 2d6
Cunning Action: Bonus to Dodge, Dash, Hide.
Psionic Power: 4d6, LR. Recharge 1/SR as a Bonus Action. 4/4
Psi-Bolstered Knack: Add Psionic Die, expend on success only, when failing Ability Check or Tool with Prof.
Psychic Whispers: Telepathy for 1d6 hours, 1mile. Prof target +you. Action. Free 1st time.
Psychic Blades: 1d6/1d4. Simple [Light] Melee Finesse Thrown. Range 60ft.
 | AttacksPsionic Blade | +5 | 1d6+3 Psychic / 60
Psionic Dagger | +5 | 1d4 Psychic / 60
Shortsword | +5 | 1d8+3 Slashing
Dagger | +5 | Piercing / 20/60
Shortbow | +5 | 1d6+3 Piercing / 80/320
 | ToolsThieves Tools: +5
Woodcarver's Tools: +5
 | Skills+Athletics: +2
+Acrobatics: +5
++Stealth27: +7
Sleight of Hand: +3
Arcana: +1
Nature: +1
History: +1
Religion: +1
+Investigation +3
Animal Handling: +2
Medicine +2
Insight +2
+Perception: +4
Survival: +2
++Deception: +3
Performance: -1
Intimidation: -1
Persuasion: -1

ConditionsTale of the Traveller: +4 THP, +1 AC, +10ft Speed. Lasts until THP is expended. | Death SavesFailed: 0/3
Succeeded: 0/3
 | Hit Dice3d8: 0 Used.
 |
Lucky5: 0/2|  Psionic5: 1/4InventoryA crowbar, a set of dark common clothes including a hood, and a belt pouch containing 15 gp, Cloak of Elvenkind, thieves' tools, woodcarver tools, 2x daggers
Leather armor, explorer's pack(backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.), Shortsword, shortbow, 20x arrows

Apparently 'The Skorn' also either couldnt think for himself or didnt want to. "The Skorn lets people die to a monster, too, then?" The dwarf wanted to see if this ...creature had any possible conscience, or if that was stripped away too. "The Skorn's story is not needed. But the Shadow is not the Skorn's story, only. There is now an orphaned child, thanks to it." He remembered that much from what Ved said. "I'll try that next, Souris." He was a decent liar. Came packaged with too many secrets.

OOC/Mechanics

Action: 
Bonus Action: 
Free Action: 
Move: 

image.png.b9e299be1a11cc7891cca028697b0b43.png

▣ | 

she had nothing left to add and swayed slightly on her feet.  It had been a very very long day, and the little did was wiped.  It seemed like forever ago that she'd left town in search for Omnus, but that was only this morning.  "I think I'm done... I'm bushed... I'll trust you guys to sort this out. " It had all just been too much, the wildshaping, the telepathy, the fighting and all the crazy.  Souris handed the remaining berries to Murdain.  "If anyone needs healing or is hungry... they're good" She gave a weak smile and a tired nod,  then just cleared a spot on the counter, and climbed up on it.  It was no time before she was cozily curled up in her fur cloak, murmurring a drowzy: "Goodnight" 

Mechanics

"I think she has it right. I'm gonna go back to the inn and get some of that stew the nice lady said was waiting and then sleep in a real bed! Should we all meet in the morning to go find the shadow monster?" Aaliyah will wait for the affirmative before excusing herself and doing just as she said she would.

Screenshot-20221031-063129.png.e20281c2da35b0e6c02db914a986139f.pngName: Ved Kith (AKA Kirit)  |  Class: Fighter 3 

AC: 16+1 | HP: 36/36 | Hit dice: 3/3d10

SR Abilities: SDice: 4/4d8; DC 13 | Action surge 1/1 | 2nd Wind 1/1

LR Abilities: Luck 1/2

Attacks Rapier +5 1d8+3
Light crossbow 80/320 +5 1d6+3
 | Saves Str +3 | Dex +3 | Con +4 | Wis +1 | Int -1 | Cha +0; | Maneuvers Precision attack55 | Menacing attack | Trip attack | DC 13;

"Set him loose? Why? He attacked you, seems to be not in his right mind. Dangerous. If he's got nothing else to tell us about the bounty, you mind-tell him if he comes at any of us again, we'll kill him. Then I'll go dump him at Sherrif Cathard's door. Then it's her problem." 

He nods at Aaliyah. "Yeh - the morning; I'm keen to get the hunt done before someone else beats us to it. You get you some rest."

https://www.myth-weavers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107520&stc=1&d=1667330676Name Barkvin | Class Cleric 3 | AC: 18 | HP: 26+6 temp/30 | Prof: +2 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +2 / Dex +1 / Con +2 / Int +0 / Wis +5 / Cha +1 | Luck: (2/2) | Channel Divinity: (1/1)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life | Attacks: Mace | +4 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +3 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame  Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 13 | Spell Attack +5

Level 1 | (3/4) | Command, Bless (+d4), Bane (-d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+6 healing), Healing Word (1d4+6 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (0/2)  | Hold Person, Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+3 force)

"Aye, I think Ved has the right of it.  If Murdain is done talking to him, we should let the sheriff deal with him and his staff."  Barkvin will help Ved take the stranger to the sheriff and then return here to sleep at Murdain's cabin on the floor.  He will also eat one of the good berries.

Mechanics

Bonus Action: none

Move: none

Action: none