Quoted Posts in Reply Posts

Browser: Chrome

Theme: Myth Weavers v4.2

Issue:

When a post is quoted and replied to, the quote takes up a significant amount of room (essentially the same amount of room it would take up in a regular post). This forces some 'EXPAND' button implementation on the reply. If people get quote heavy -as evident in OG MW some times- then most conversations will be headlined and overtaken by the QUOTES themselves. It's something I hate about the format of another gaming forum that we all might peruse. 

Solution:

I have only non-code monkey solutions here. 

1. Shrink the quoted post

2. Discolor the quoted post so it doesn't look like the rest of the conversation.

3. Hide the quote and give it an expand button.

4. Someone else come up with something pretty.  

6 minutes ago, Basil_Bottletop said:

Issue:

When a post is quoted and replied to, the quote takes up a significant amount of room (essentially the same amount of room it would take up in a regular post). This forces some 'EXPAND' button implementation on the reply. If people get quote heavy -as evident in OG MW some times- then most conversations will be headlined and overtaken by the QUOTES themselves. It's something I hate about the format of another gaming forum that we all might peruse. 

Solution:

2. Discolor the quoted post so it doesn't look like the rest of the conversation.

Test on size shrink. - Because of line spacing requirements from CSS doesn't look like it takes less space?

15 minutes ago, Basil_Bottletop said:

Issue:

Solution:

Spoiler looking test--- not sure I like this option.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this thread is a bit old and all things are still in flux, but is there a way to change the default length/height of a quote box before the "Expand" button appears? Because ironically, there doesn't seem to be a minimum at the moment, meaning the Expand button is always there. And since the Expand button itself adds a bit of height to the box, for shorter quotes, the quote box with the Expand button actually takes up more room than it does once you've "expanded" it, if that makes sense.

Another thought is, would it be possible to add a vertical scrollbar to the quote box? This would be nice for longer quotes, where maybe you don't want to expand the whole thing, but still want to quickly peruse the contents (especially since the expansion is one-way - once you've expanded it, there's no way to collapse it again).

Edit: Now that I've looked around more and seen a larger variety of quotes, there's definitely something amiss with the Expand button. As far as I can tell, it's always there on every quote regardless of length, and its presence only ever makes the box larger. I thought it was only on short quotes, but even on longer quotes, it shows the entire thing, except it fades out/partially obscures the last line behind the Expand button "bar". So no matter the length of the quote, clicking the Expand button actually makes the quote box smaller than before you clicked it.

Edited by PigLickJF (see edit history)

• 6 months later...