Book 1: Shadows of the Underworld | Chapter 3: The Darkness Revealed

bwatford

spacer.png

Book 1: Shadows of the Underworld Chapter 3: The Darkness Revealed

"Maybe we could work together. Do you know how many Vikmordere are in the keep? Have you seen any patrols?" Fritz asked the woman.

She smiled at the blue halfling and replied "This is so. way out of my league here. The walls of the fortress are constantly covered by Vikmodere archers, I think I counted sixteen of them on the walls, though they do move around a lot. I have seen two parties of soldiers led by a hooded figure exit this morning an hour after the sun came up. I have also seen them do this over the last couple of days, has been hard to tell the exact time with the continual darkness but I would say they leave in the mornings, and return with more prisoners late in the evening. Another group of Vikmodere leave and go out hunting about an hour after the two parties of soldiers leave and return with their kills about an hour before the soldiers return." as she talked, she sort of drew the entire thing out in the dirt of the floor.

"There is really nothing to use for cover to get near the place, I had to watch from quite a distance since the sun has come out, but you can get pretty close when it is dark if you are careful enough." she added. "Plus at night the archers aren't on the walls, just what looks like a few folks scattered around the walls, my guess is that have signal horns if they spot anything."

"There are a total of ten watchtowers, two guarding the rear, on each corner of the wall, two more on the sides, five across the front wall, and two that make up the gate house.  Double portcullis entry for the gate house is the only way in or out. During the day both portcullises are closed, and they have to be raised individually to let soldiers in or out, so it is a two-stage process. The process is watched over by four Vikmodere guards, two in each of the front watchtowers with archers above. At night the outer portcullis is closed but the inner one is left open, and no guards are in sight, but someone has to be watching it right?" she added.

"If I had to guess at soldiers in there? At least fifty before the groups leave every morning, much lower after that." she finished "If you are going in there, you have to find my husband." she pleaded before Sabyne stepped up and made her threat, the woman was not impressed and went to fire back a remark of her own but thought about it for a moment before deciding to keep the peace.

"Do we have an understanding?" Sabyne asked. The woman just nodded in response.

"Um.. what was is your favorite pastry?" Amber managed to get out which caused the woman to giggle and broke the tension in the room before the woman replied, "Bread pudding of course."

Shayne then rambled off a line of questioning that was completely ignored by Alexandria as if he were not even speaking before addressing Sabyne "What I have relayed to you of my scouting is useful, yes? I also would imagine there are dozens of prisoners being held in there. You come to rescue them, yes?"

"How?" she asked.

Entering Adrik's Folly
10:29 am

Show Active Maps

spacer.png

Rybalka Regional Map
(Click Map for Larger Image)

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION SCORES

Eve 14 | Zuma 14 | Sabyne 13 | Shayne 13 | Fritz 10 | Amber 9 

INITIATIVE

Currently Not In Use!!

MECHANICS

Currently Not In Use!!

CONDITIONS

Currently Not In Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Currently Not In Use!!

AMBER PYRESOUL

Hit Points: 20/23 (brave, lucky)
Hit Dice: 2/3
Spell Slots

• 1st Level: 2/4 (+5, DC 13) *L
  • 2nd Level: 1/2 (+5, DC 13) *L

Sorcery Points: 3/3 *L
Hero Points: 2/3
Experience Points: 2,413 / 2,700

EVEDRIEL BREGENETH

Hit Points: 25/25 (fey ancestry, gloom stalker)
Hit Dice: 3/3
Spell Slots

• 1st Level: 1/3 (+4, DC 12) *L

Hero Points: 3/3

Attuned Items: 0/3

Wand of Snares: 3/3 *L (Gains 1d3 charges on long rest)

FRITZ

Hit Points: 20/20 (brave, luck)
Current Wild Magic Chance: 5 in 20
Tides of Chaos: 0/1 *L
Sorcery Points: 2/3 *L
Spell Slots

• 1st Level: 1/4 (+5, DC 13) *L
  • 2nd Level: 2/3 (+5, DC 13) *L

Attuned Items: 1/3 (ring of protection)

SABYNE KUZNETSOV

Hit Points: 25/28 (Divine Health)
Divine Sense: 3/3 *L
Lay on Hands: 10/15 *L
Harness Divine Power: 1/1 *L
Channel Divinity: 1/1 *S/L
Spell Slots

• 1st Level: 2/3 (+4, DC 12) *L

Hero Points: 1/3

SHAYNE KUZNETSOV

Hit Points: 20/24
Healing Light: 2/4 *L
Spell Slots

• 2nd Level: 2/2 (+5, DC 13) *S/L

Attuned Items: 1/3 (pearl of power)
Pearl of Power: 1/1 *L

ZUMA

Hit Points: 28/28 (sunlight sensitivity, +1 AC versus slashing)
Hit Dice: 0/3
Grovel: 1/1 *S/L
Superiority Dice: 1/3 *L

Amber Pyresoul - Halfling (lightfoot) Draconic Sorcererhttps://i.ibb.co/ccwt9Rt/Amber-small.jpg

AC: 16 | HP: 20/23 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 9 | Spell Slots: 1st 3/4 2nd 1/2 (+5, DC 13) | Sorcery Points: 3/3 | Hero Points: 2/3 | Concentration: None

Bread pudding... the choice of dessert didn't particularly surprise Amber nor did it particularly help in solving the dilemma that prompted her line of questioningAmber: Bread pudding is a pretty Klavekan answer right? I mean a dark elf would probably prefer Spider Web Tarts or Baby Chip Cookies or something like that?

Thraxys: Your powers of deduction are immeasurable.

Amber: Well, what would you do then?

Thraxys: Set her ablaze. It is rather difficult to maintain an illusory disguise while dealing with an incinerated limb.

Amber: And what if she's actually a human?

Thraxys: I have it on good authority that that is what the words "I'm sorry" are for.
. Still, the giggling helped. Amber can't remember ever hearing about a spy who giggled.

Head swimming from the deluge of information presented by Alexandria, Amber fervently hoped that the others were getting a better grasp of the details than she could. Finding a suitably comfortable looking piece of rubble, Amber sat down to rest her weary legs. The halfling then piped up with her thoughts in the hopes that it would help one of the others form a plan for the situation.

"Wow, that is a lot of information. How long have you been here exactly? And what does everybody think? Perhaps we should rest here for a bit and do our own investigation and scouting? I have some magic left in me that can help two people move around unseen. Or we could try to capture the hunting party for questioning."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: None
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Edited by Krezzlar (see edit history)

spacer.pngEvedriel Bregeneth (Wood Elf Ranger)

AC: 14 | HP: 25/25 | Initiative: +5+3 Dex, +2 Wis (Dread Ambusher) | Passive Perception: 14Darkvision 90' | Hero Points: 3/3 | Spell Slots: 1st 2/3 | Concentration: Hunter's Mark | Notes* Fey Ancestry - You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.

* Favored Enemy: Humans, Drow - You have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track your favored enemies, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them.

* Favored Terrain: Forest - When you make an Intelligence or Wisdom check related to your favored terrain, your proficiency bonus is doubled if you are using a skill that you're proficient in. While traveling for an hour or more in your favored terrain, you gain additional benefits per the PHB.

* Umbral Sight - While in darkness, you are invisible to any creature that relies on darkvision to see you in that darkness.

Eve stirred uneasily at the woman's description of the castle inhabitants and their behavior.  It did not seem likely to her that the drow would be working out of the castle with humans - that had not been at all the case back in the Church where this entire thing had started.  Perhaps they had tunneled into the castle from below, and perhaps they used it as a launching point for their raids but in any case she felt they would be more likely to be holed up somewhere beneath the fortress rather than within it. The fact that the raiding and hunting parties were out during the day lent weight to that speculation but she was not at all certain of it.  What she was certain of was that they she had a lot of questions and not so many answers.

"Storming a castle is work for an army, not for a rescue team such as ourselves.  You have given us good information, to be sure, but I agree with Amber that it will be best for us to do some scouting and see what else we may learn before we attempt any rescue."

Fritz Trebarley - Tree-Borer Halfling Wild Magic Sorcerer sheetivspyB.jpg.d3b685fa1611f39702c4e2dc6e3175a9.jpg

AC: 13 (16 Mage Armor) | HP: 20/20 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 10 | Spell Slots: 1st 1/4, 2nd: 1/3 | Sorcerery Points: 3/3

Fritz is deflated. He wants to be the hero. He wants to rescue the prisoners. But while this group has overcome some pretty significant odds so far, he doesn't see any way for us to get in and out of the castle alive. He sits down and listens to the others. He's not optimistic, but he likes Eve and Amber's plan, even if it is just a chance for him to rest while they scout around. 

"Perhaps if Eve and Zuma could find a secret way in. Or maybe we could capture a hunter, and get information from them."

Mechanics

Action: Your action goes here.

Shayne Kuznetsov - Human Warlockhttps://i.pinimg.com/564x/6a/2c/62/6a2c6228b9f48aaad43fee12b6199eef.jpg

AC: 13 (leather) | HP: 20/24 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 13 (120ft Darkvision) | Spell Slots: 2nd 2/2 (+5, DC 13) | Healing Light: 2/4 | Hero Points: 2/3 

This must have been what crazy felt like. He watched the exchange in silence, since no one had bothered to consider his earlier questions. It felt a bit like watching a dog who had been kicked by their owner. Despite being beaten over and over, they still came back and licked the first hand that offered to feed them. No one found it suspicious that this lone woman was out here, next to a fortress full of Viks who were hunting for slaves or prisoners or whatever. After everything they had been through, this felt...too easy. He expected he'd have to watch her, but there was nothing he could do for the moment, so he simply gave a shrug of resignation and walked out of the church. There was still a chance she was some manner of infiltrator and there were people quietly surrounding the church while the group was distracted. And nothing drove Shayne to action like the chance to say 'I told you so'.

He put a hand up as he stepped back outside, almost unaccustomed to the light after days of darkness. The warmth felt good, like the welcome embrace of a long lost lover. Even being in the sun started to lighten his mood, so he made due with patrolling the area for threats until the others were done. How in the hells were they supposed to assault a fortress of fifty people? As his hands went to the burnt journal on his hip, he found himself wondering...What would Alin Durqua do?

Mechanics

Name
Investigation. Someone has to spot these people about to ambush us
1d20+4 20

Sabyne Kuznetsov - Human Paladinspacer.png

AC: 17 | HP: 25/28 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 13 | Spell Slots: 1st 3/3 | Divine Sense: 3/3 | Lay on Hands: 15/15

Nothing was sitting well with the female Kuznetsov.  In her gut she knew to not trust a single thing that was exposed from these woods, including this woman.  "We have come to find those taken from Rybalka.  If your husband is with them, then yes, he will be rescued with the others."  Sabyne turned to walk out, following her brother but paused a moment to look over her shoulder to the rafter walker.  "We are not, however, taking on a special charge to seek him out.  What you have already described is a suicide mission, there will be no time for additional risks."

The paladin stood in the archway.  The warmth of the sun was a stark contrast to the coolness on her back from the shadows of the building.  She watched as Shayne scouted.  He looked for dangers beyond, she ensure there were no dangers around him.  There was frustration and anger between them, but there would never be a moment where she would not willingly throw herself into combat to protect him.  She would not lose her brother again.

She took in a deep breath and sighed.  The plans of the others was the best they would have for now.  Sabyne called out for them all to hear.  "For now we rest.  Alexandria...do you have any provisions?  Zuma, perhaps you and I should hunt for a proper meal, then Lil'Red can show us what Fairgrove firebreathers can do with meat."  It was a poor attempt at lightening the mood, but event he mention of a warm meal caused her stomach to grumble in excitement.

Mechanics

Reaction: Interception

Zuma/Early Sprout - Kobold Ranger (Hunter)image.png.c5fa861dd6d78db515ea7449e59bc924.png

AC: 14(+1 vs melee slashing) | HP: 28/28 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 14 | Superiority Dice: 3/3 | Grovel: 1/1 | Hero Points: 3/3

"Back in the forest?" Ja Qua forgive him for speaking ill of the wilds, but Zuma had seen enough of that place to last a lifetime. Wild predators are one thing, but the dark wood held traps and deception around every corner. Maybe there are other thickets around here they can forage in.

"Should bring Eve. Also good hunter," he starts to say, then stops. Not because he realizes the tension between the paladin and the archer, but because an idea has formed within the little lizard skull that he was blessed and cursed with. "Hunter!" He announcers, clicking his claws against the back of one of the church pews and hopping into the seat so that he can speak to Sabyne at eye level. "Some of the parties castle sends out are looking for slaves. Others must be hunting and foraging. We should split up, two groups, follow two of them. Can thin castle numbers and take what they were gathering."

Mechanics

spacer.png

"Wow, that is a lot of information. How long have you been here exactly?" Amber asked before the woman responded, "About five days."

While everyone inside the small chapel discussed things, Shayne went outside to look for enemies. This small chapel to the Light of Life that lay about a quarter mile from Adrik’s Folly and looked to have been used for regular services, and watches over a large graveyard that holds not only tombstones for each and every one of the fallen soldiers from the castle, but also several mass graves dedicated to their defeated, nameless foes. 

As Shayne walked among the headstones, he noticed that the most recent gravestone, or at least the one with the most recent date had a hinge at the base of the gravestone which was odd for such a thing. It had been here so long though when Shayne tried to tilt the gravestone, he found that it would take someone much stronger than him to do it.

Luckily his sister had come out a few moments later and Shayne motioned her over to help, as they tilted the gravestone, tearing free a swathe of grass and soil in the process, they found a hole in the ground that looked to lead down to a larger chamber underneath the graveyard.

Back inside the woman opened her pack to reveal but a single day of rations that remained before adding "The staircase leads below to quarters for the priest, and a small well that is blessed to always be full of cool, clean water. I have not found any more food, but you are all welcomed to look around."

Entering Adrik's Folly
10:35 am

Show Active Maps

spacer.png

Rybalka Regional Map

Show Bookkeeping

INITIATIVE

Currently Not In Use!!

MECHANICS

Currently Not In Use!!

CONDITIONS

Currently Not In Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Currently Not In Use!!

AMBER PYRESOUL

Spell Slots

EVEDRIEL BREGENETH

Spell Slots

FRITZ

Spell Slots

SABYNE KUZNETSOV

Spell Slots

SHAYNE KUZNETSOV

Spell Slots

ZUMA

Shayne Kuznetsov - Human Warlockhttps://i.pinimg.com/564x/6a/2c/62/6a2c6228b9f48aaad43fee12b6199eef.jpg

AC: 13 (leather) | HP: 20/24 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 13 (120ft Darkvision) | Spell Slots: 2nd 2/2 (+5, DC 13) | Healing Light: 2/4 | Hero Points: 2/3 

While he hadn't found the ambushers he had suspected of lying in wait, there had been an odd consolation prize. A glint of partially rusted iron near a gravestone had revealed that it was perhaps, not a grave at all. Curious. There was little doubt in Shayne's mind such a thing would lead to some underground crypt filled to the brim with zombies and, with his luck, probably more Drow. It was a bit frustrating that despite his best efforts he was unable to move the heavy stone, but these days he'd taken more to working his brain than his arms. It was fortunate then that his sister came into sight, since she had spent their time apart working on the reverse. Between the two of them, it was easy enough to move. The mat of solid earth and grass was a telling sign that where ever this led, it had not been opened in a while.
Shayne opened his mouth to shout for the others, but his mind immediately went to the slap happy wench they were entertaining, and a grim expression crossed his face. No one seemed to care what he had to say, so why say anything? It was at that moment the darkened underground passage beneath the Kuznetsov twins sparked an idea in Shayne. "You know...I could probably dig us a passage under the castle wall." His sister looked at him incredulously, as though he had suddenly sprouted a second head. "Not with a shovel, Bean. With magic." He scratched the scruff on his chin that passed for a beard as the scent of stale air wafted up from the entryway. "At least we know it won't be Alin Durqua down there...Let's see if you can kill any of my other childhood heroes, shall we?" With that, Shayne prepared to go down the hole and explore.  

Mechanics

AC: 17 | HP: 25/28 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 13 | Spell Slots: 1st 3/3 | Divine Sense: 3/3 | Lay on Hands: 15/15

She could almost hear his words, the words he didn't speak.  The 'what was the point' look in his eyes, she felt the same.  They had wandered into the darkness to help a village that seemed incapable of helping themselves.  They had come across danger at every corner, no matter who's suggestion was followed.  And now the twins stood over a false grave, forgotten by time, staring into the shadows of likely waiting death.  This seemed like a grand plan...

Sabyne pulled forth her hammer and extended it toward Shayne, waiting expectantly for the magical light to reappear.  His mouth twisted into a smirk, waiting for her to ask nicely.  "I can't protect you against what I can't see."  His gaze narrowed a moment before giving into her original silent request.  She paused a moment to glance back at the church.  "I figure either that woman is fine, or she's who Eve has been leading us to.  If it's the latter, which definitely has the higher chance, the three squats can hold their own.  Right?"  There was only a short pause before her shoulders shrugged and she turned to prepare to descend down the ancient portal.  The woman tied her rope around the nearest gravestone, ensured it's strength and dropped the cord into the shadows.

"Stay right behind me and warn me if you're going to do any weird magical stuff."  She paused, considering his words.  "I hope your idea can work, but if there are more vampires or undead or carnivorous trees...run and get the others.  I can hold them back for a few minutes."  Sabyne rolled her eyes, feeling the glare on the back of her head.  "I didn't say 'run and leave me to die', I don't plan on dying down here.  Run and get some help.  Hopefully help that isn't already dead from traitorous elves."  With her final thought stated, the paladin descended into the darkness, with her hammer the sole beacon of light.

Mechanics

spacer.pngEvedriel Bregeneth (Wood Elf Ranger)

AC: 14 | HP: 25/25 | Initiative: +5+3 Dex, +2 Wis (Dread Ambusher) | Passive Perception: 14Darkvision 90' | Hero Points: 3/3 | Spell Slots: 1st 2/3 | Concentration: Hunter's Mark | Notes* Fey Ancestry - You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.

* Favored Enemy: Humans, Drow - You have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track your favored enemies, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them.

* Favored Terrain: Forest - When you make an Intelligence or Wisdom check related to your favored terrain, your proficiency bonus is doubled if you are using a skill that you're proficient in. While traveling for an hour or more in your favored terrain, you gain additional benefits per the PHB.

* Umbral Sight - While in darkness, you are invisible to any creature that relies on darkvision to see you in that darkness.

With something of a plan in place, Eve stepped outside the building to get a better look at the land they were going to be scouting.  Noticing Shayne and Sabyne in the graveyard, seemingly preparing to lower themselves into a grave, the elf tilted her head quizzically.  How these two had not gotten themselves killed yet was beyond her. 

Of all the foolishness

Hadn't they just been attacked by all things living and dead at every turn since they'd left on this dangerous hunt?  You'd think the two would have called for backup before doing something that was likely to result in combat.  With a resigned sigh, she strolled over to the pair, halting as she got close, feeling palpably the gulf that separated her from the other woman.

"A scout will be good for scouting - don't you agree?"

spacer.png

Sabyne descended the rope the short drop to the floor of the small makeshift sepulcher below. Its earthen walls had roots jutting out in places that gave the chamber an even creepier feel. Four broken sarcophagi sit evenly spaced in the small chamber, obviously tattered and ravaged by time itself. When nothing immediately jumped out and attacked her, she looked for other exits.

To the east a dirt tunnel continued on as far as she could see, it was about ten foot wide, unlit, and unadorned and seemed to have a slight upward slope to it. Sabyne was no engineering expert but the tunnel did lead in the direction of the castle at least. She then was able to put it together.

The passage had been dug by four craftsmen long ago, those four craftsmen were then buried here.  She had heard of such tales. Likely killed once the project was completed to hide the tunnels very existence.

Entering Adrik's Folly
10:38 am

Show Active Maps

spacer.png

Rybalka Regional Map

Show Bookkeeping

INITIATIVE

Currently Not In Use!!

MECHANICS

Currently Not In Use!!

CONDITIONS

Currently Not In Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Currently Not In Use!!

AMBER PYRESOUL

Spell Slots

EVEDRIEL BREGENETH

Spell Slots

FRITZ

Spell Slots

SABYNE KUZNETSOV

Spell Slots

SHAYNE KUZNETSOV

Spell Slots

ZUMA

Zuma/Early Sprout - Kobold Ranger (Hunter)image.png.c5fa861dd6d78db515ea7449e59bc924.png

AC: 14(+1 vs melee slashing) | HP: 28/28 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 14 | Superiority Dice: 3/3 | Grovel: 1/1 | Hero Points: 3/3

While waiting for the twins to return from their walk outside, and likely another argument, Zuma remains inside among the littlefolk and the strange, questionably sane woman. "Do you want to go and search the monk chambers?" he asks Fritz, hopping down from the pew he'd been sitting on. "You too if you want," the kobold adds, this time directed at Amber. He didn't want to leave her alone with this Alexandria.

Mechanics

Shayne watched as his sister descended the rope into the passage. There was a small part of him tempted to diminish the light he always hung upon her warhammer, but this was hardly the time for such childish games. Especially since they didn't know what was down the passage. Eve's comment brought his attention out of the darkness, and he looked at her with a rather indifferent demeanor. "I suppose you can join us. Always good to have a scout that can notice these types of things." With a smile that didn't reach his eyes, he took hold of the rope and followed his sister. Getting down wasn't hard, but the fraying rope left his delicate hands with a slight burning sensation as he took the last few feet all at once. The earth beneath his feet was spongy but well worn. He wondered how long such a passage would hold up, but as he touched the walls, they seemed sturdy enough to withstand a few more days and a bit of use.

"This may just be what we needed to get around an army and laying siege to a castle." That didn't mean getting the people out would be easy, but at least perhaps, easier. The Vikmordere and the Drow couldn't possibly know of this passage, could they? All he knew for certain was that it hadn't been opened on this end. He gave a sigh, already knowing what his sister would say, but feeling he had to ask anyway. "So how far down the passage are we going to venture? And don't say all the way." He pointed back up the hole to where Eve still stood. "We don't know what the entrance on the other side looks like, or if it is even concealed. Which means you can't go trouncing about in your armor and give us away before we can make proper use of this. Sending Eve first is the prudent choice." Truthfully sending just about anyone but his sister seemed the prudent choice at this point. "Assuming she intends to join us."

"Not to mention, even if we get all those people out without anyone noticing...Where do we take them? Back the way we came?" The more Shayne pondered it, the more hopeless their task seemed. The initial invasion had taken people right off the streets of Rybalka. Would they simply be harried by a larger, more powerful force all the way back, only for the Vikmordere to lay siege to the town? The idea thrilled Shayne even less than their initial chase had. All he wanted to do was climb into a warm bed and sleep for three days.

Mechanics

"Oh good.  Eve is here..."  Sarcasm dripped from her tongue as she turned to face her brother and the elf.  Sabyne stepped to the side, motioning for the others to pass her.  "By all means, she can inspect the passage first.  It certainly seems as this may be our path to the castle.  Finally, a real advantage in this forsaken mission."

Shayne's last questions were very valid ones.  What would they do once they had everyone?  "I don't know what we'll do next.  We'll...we'll have to figure it out once we have them."  She had no idea what to do at that point...

Mechanics